daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 14th, 2008, 12:39 AM   #1
Alibaba

Likes (Received): 6

~ My Melbourne Moments ~

~ My Melbourne Momments & Surrounds ~

This is the child of my original thread - Melbourne Photos Compilation - the link http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=460389-

Yet - this thread will only highlight my own photos that I took over the years and of course - more to come

My apology for not posting them in correct dates order... i am still recovering all of those old photos from my previous posts/threads/photobuckets

It is work in progress and I would start with my older posts so the whole works and images are still captured in this new thread

The photos may lack of technical and effect yet i think they deliver the messages and depicting on what and how is the Melbourne living like to you guys ...

BTW, and if you do like them - there is a better thread created by the witty and wicked GAPPA http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=521395

Gappa's Gambol - A Monster in Melbourne - check it out too !

Enjoy the tour and please drop some comments...!
---------------------------------

~ My Melbourne Momments & Surrounds - sometimes in Winter 2006/07 ~

~ Autumn 2006~

City

Around Royal Botanical Gardens

Domain Road - South Yarra

Around St Kilda Road - near CBD

~ My Melbourne Momments - Yarra River & Surrounds in Autumn 2007 ~

I took a day off last Friday and spent the afternoon browsing the art gallery and took these photos around Yarra River when the sun set

I know my camera needs updating ... i hope you enjoy them

Giant bunny at National Gallery

I went up to the Ferris Wheels shown above - and took these photos

The famous Cricket Ground was lit up for the football season

A free public comedy performance as part of Melbourne International Comedy Festival currently on

A river runs through it

~ My Melbourne Momments & Surrounds - Autumn 2006 with local Aus celebrities ~

Walking past from work in November 2006 - there was a red carpet lined up for the Australian version of Oscar - Australian Film Institute AFI - Award which is held annually in Melbourne

Few familiar faces

The It Melbourne girl Cate Blanchett (who is living in Sydney now)

Part time Melburnian part time - anywhere - Abbie Cornish

another local Girl - Danii Minogue (London resident currently)

Mr Harry Potter - his parents bought a home in Melbourne

cant remember her name

the late (and one of my fave) - Heath Ledger - spent sometimes greeting his fans

the venue/surround

some others were there - ie Local Eric Bana and host Geoffrey Rush etc

Last edited by Alibaba; February 24th, 2008 at 12:42 AM.
Alibaba no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 14th, 2008, 12:44 AM   #2
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

I look forward to another gr8 thread
Old February 14th, 2008, 12:49 AM   #3
Alibaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYDNEY View Post
I look forward to another gr8 thread
ich liebe dich....

Last edited by Alibaba; February 24th, 2008 at 12:39 AM.
Old February 14th, 2008, 12:50 AM   #4
Alibaba

~ My Melbourne Momments & Surrounds - Spring 2007 ~

Red Hill Mornington Peninsula Oct 07

This is Mornington Peninsula - just one hour drive outside Melbourne. Something different to usual photos - now I take you to the tour of Melburnians getaway destination

We had three days break to this fantastic peninsula and has been a great food and wines destination in lush, relaxing surroundings and spectacular coastlines

Recommend to any visitors to drop by to this beautiful part of Victoria.

Cute dog (the cottage owner pet)

View from our cottage

Cape Schanck

Fabulous Flinders

wild baby bunnies at Flinders golf course

Few winery restaurants & surroundings

Fortunately we booked our restaurants well in advance. We went there on Sunday to Tuesday - hoping that it will be quiet. Yet on Monday - Montalto was fully booked - and rest of other restaurants were full. It was good to book earlier time as by 1pm - the restaurants were noisy and buzzing just like an inner city crowds. We also went to do wine tasting at TGallant and its pizzaria was full. It ws still enjoyable as we were blessed by sunny days and the long lunches seemed endless.

First day - lunch at Vines @ Red Hill restaurant

Montalto - our highlight for food

Salix restaurant

The crazy Ashcombe Maze

Point Leo beach

Long and winding roads

Funny enough - Local newspaper The Age published this article at the same weekend and highlighting our itinerary!

http://www.theage.com.au/news/victor...e#contentSwap2

Beachy green

The Mornington Peninsula combines sea and a bucolic hinterland.

October 6, 2007

Susan Gough Henly tours a region where Middle-earth meets the Mediterranean.

The Mornington Peninsula can make you wonder, at times, whether you are in Australia. The undulating green landscape, horse country, alleys of pines and hectares of vines overlooking sparkling blue water, have an aura of Middle-earth and the Mediterranean, a marvellous melange of Italy and France with some old-fashioned Australian country style thrown in for good measure.

Just an hour's drive from Melbourne and wedged like a pointy-toed boot between Port Phillip and Western Port bays, the Mornington Peninsula is really a play in two acts: the bustling bayside towns and a bucolic hinterland.

For most of the past century the action centred on the beach towns, their iconic bathing boxes dotted along white, sandy beaches.

The sleepy inland, with its rich, red soil, was Melbourne's food basket - cherry, plum, pear, apricot and apple orchards and market gardens brimming with asparagus, pumpkins, carrots, potatoes, lettuce and herbs. Delicious but not very sexy.

But during the past 30 years the back lots have reinvented themselves. Vineyards and olive groves now carpet the hillsides and artists and antique dealers have recycled the old coolrooms into galleries and shops. Ambitious winery restaurants, gourmet products at every bend in the road, markets selling plump red tomatoes and artisanal cheeses, golf courses and country inns add up to a serious bid for the good life. And it doesn't hurt that at the bottom of each meandering road is a spectacular beach to suit every taste.

Attractions

Drinking: Surrounded by water, the Mornington Peninsula has become one of Australia's key cool-climate wine regions for pinot noir, chardonnay and pinot grigio. Among more than 50 cellar doors, be sure to visit Main Ridge (the region's first winery), Paringa Estate, Stonier and Willow Creek. (Mornington Peninsula Vignerons Association, 5989 2377; www.mpva.com.au). For a change of pace, stop at the Red Hill Brewery to sample fine ales (88 Shoreham Road, Red Hill South; 5989 2959; www.redhillbrewery.com.au).

Golf: The peninsula's lush undulating terrain, well-drained sandy soils and drop-dead coastal views all add up to golfers' heaven. Eighteen parkland, links and resort options include some of the finest in the land. Moonah Links, the Golf Club St Andrews Beach and the Dunes are clustered in the famous Cups region, which resembles a collection of upturned teacups. Koala Golf Tours can arrange games at private courses (9598 2574; http://www.koalagolf.com).

Shopping and eating: Sunny Ridge Strawberry Farms has the plumpest strawberries, which you can pick, as well as delectable fruit ice-creams, wines and liqueurs (244 Shands Road, Main Ridge; 5989 4500; www.sunnyridge.com.au). At Red Hill Cheese, taste cow's and goat's milk cheeses at a cellar door hidden in the forest (81 William Road, Red Hill; 5989 2035; www.redhillcheese.com.au).

On the first Saturday of the month from September to April, the Red Hill Market buzzes with dozens of stalls selling home-made cakes and jams, hand-made clothes and jewellery, home-grown flowers, fruits and vegetables (Red Hill Showgrounds).

Gardens and mazes: At historic Heronswood overlooking Port Phillip Bay, enjoy cottage gardens with old-fashioned flowers, fruits and heirloom vegetables. You can savour their heady flavours in the slow food cafe (105 Latrobe Parade, Dromana; 5984 7321; www.diggers.com.au).

All that rich red earth means hedges grow high and wide. Ashcombe Maze has Australia's largest and oldest hedge maze, not to mention a lavender maze and circular rose maze. Rose petal and lavender scones are a speciality. (Shoreham Road, Shoreham; 5989 8387; www.ashcombemaze.com.au). The Boneo Maze and Wetlands Centre focuses more on bird hides and waterways, lawn puzzles and garden chess (695 Limestone Road, Fingal; 5988 6385; www.boneomaze.com).

Adventure: Just about everywhere you look are thoroughbred horse studs, pony clubs and bridle trails. Jump in the saddle for a bush or beach ride with Gunnamatta Trail Rides (2770 Truemans Road, Rye; 5988 6755; www.gunnamatta.com.au, or a horseback winery tour (356 Shands Road, Main Ridge; 5989 6119; www.horsebackwinerytours.com.au).

For those who prefer to use their own legs, the beautiful 26- kilometre Two Bays Walking Track links Dromana on Port Phillip Bay with Bushrangers Bay.

Highlights include Greens Bush, where mobs of eastern grey kangaroos hang out on the grasslands, and the dramatic Bushrangers Bay to Cape Schanck trail, which begins or ends at the historic light station (Mornington Peninsula Walking Tours 5984 4484; http://www.mornpenwalks.com.au).

At the end of the day, soothe those weary muscles at the Peninsula Hot Springs, with indoor and outdoor pools and spa treatments (140 Springs Lane, Rye; 5950 8777. www.peninsulahotsprings.com.au).

For a retro adventure, there's nothing like a soda fountain-style meal at Shel's 1950s' diner before kicking back in your car, at Dromana 3 drive-in (133 Nepean Highway, Dromana; 5987 2492; www.drivein.net.au).

Events

Spring into art, culture and festivals this month. http://www.visitmorningtonpeninsula.org.

March 9, Peninsula Piers and Pinots Yacht Race and tasting, Flinders; www.mpva.com.au

Where to eat

Montalto is a fine example of the peninsula's energy and innovation: French-inspired food at the restaurant, simpler fare at the Piazza Cafe. There are olive groves, vines, a vegetable garden, a nature walk past a serious sculpture collection to a pretty pond, where you can have a private picnic, delivered in style in a red Morris Minor (33 Shoreham Road, Red Hill South; 5989 8412; www.montalto.com.au).

Max's at Red Hill Estate serves up the best peninsula winery views from its terrace and dining room with floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking the vines to Western Port Bay and Phillip Island (53 Shoreham Road, Red Hill South; 5989 2838; www.maxsatredhillestate.com.au).

Salix Restaurant, perched over the vines at Willow Creek, has sparkling mod Oz cuisine with a nod to France. It can be washed down with the estate's chardonnay and pinot noir(166 Balnarring Road, Merricks North; 5989 7448; http://www.willow-creek.com.au).

The best way to go at Jill's at Moorooduc Estate is to order a tasting plate brimming with produce from the garden and other local delicacies (501 Derril Road, Moorooduc; 5971 8506; www.moorooducestate.com.au).

Overlooking a lake, Stillwater at Crittenden produces inspired dishes such as Atlantic salmon with spanner crab ravioli, which show off the winery's Italian varietals (25 Harrisons Road, Dromana; 5981 9555; www.stillwateratcrittenden.com.au).

T'Gallant offers a hearty slice of Italy with woodfired pizza at its Spuntino Bar and earthy classics at La Baracca Trattoria (1385 Mornington-Flinders Road, Main Ridge; 5989 6565; www.tgallant.com.au).

The Flinders Hotel, known for its great pub grub, makes a great dinner option now that it has opened a white-tableclothed restaurant that serves local produce dressed up with Mediterranean and Middle-Eastern influences (corner Cook and Wood streets, Flinders; 5989 0201; www.flindershotel.com.au).

Where to stay

At Arthurs Seat, the sleek Georges Boutique Bed and Breakfast and Culinary Retreat, with gorgeous views of Port Phillip Bay through the gum trees, is an exciting new option on the peninsula. Check out the gourmet cooking classes in its gleaming commercial kitchen (776 Arthurs Seat Road, Arthurs Seat; 5981 8700; www.georgesonarthurs.com.au; rooms: $275-$375).

Woodman Estate delivers a bucolic Victorian-manor experience with three enormous lakeside chalets, plus suites and garden rooms decorated in plush country style. There's a residential spa, billiards room, tennis and fly fishing on the lake. The luscious country breakfast can keep you going all day (136 Graydens Road, Moorooduc; 5978 8455; www.woodmanestate.com; rooms: $350-$695).

Golfers love the striking contemporary Peppers Moonah Links Resort (see story next week) and non-golfers have plenty of options with a spa, tennis court, gym, pool and mountain bikes. (Peter Thompson Drive, Fingal; 5988 2000; www.peppers.com.au; rooms: $230-$365).

Set amid mature gardens and vineyards, Lindenderry is a refined country estate with glass-enclosed pool and spa, tennis court and restaurant in the heart of the peninsula wine country (142 Arthurs Seat Road, Red Hill; 5989 2933; http://www.lindenderry.com.au; rooms: $270-$500).

To book these and cheaper accommodation options and to download maps go to http://www.visitmorningtonpeninsula.org.

Getting there

Almost anywhere on the Mornington Peninsula is a little over an hour's drive from Melbourne, turning off the Monash Freeway onto Springvale Road, which leads to the Frankston Freeway.

LOCAL VIEW

Arthur Ross, owner of Ashcombe Maze.

"I grew up on Phillip Island. After running the Flinders Hotel for ages, I took over the Ashcombe Maze nine years ago. It's tremendous fun looking after trees for a living and there aren't many jobs where you can take money from people and tell them to get lost! The Mornington Peninsula has a wonderful maritime climate - the summers are cooler and the winters warmer than most of Victoria and there are no frosts.

It is such a great place for orchards and vineyards, too. I like to suggest to first-time visitors that they combine a visit to the Mornington Peninsula en route to either Phillip Island or the Great Ocean Road. We may not have their iconic attractions but we can offer a fine bucolic experience only an hour's drive from Melbourne. People love to criss-cross all over the peninsula to enjoy its diverse attractions. It takes just 15 minutes to drive between the safest of bay beaches to the rugged coastline of Western Port Bay.

There are farm stands, golf courses, wineries, markets, art galleries, horse riding and mazes, of course. City people live such frazzled lives these days. The Mornington Peninsula offers a step back in time as you meander along country roads shaded with pine and gum trees. And you can still stop at a really flash winery for the best up-to-the-minute cuisine."
Old February 14th, 2008, 12:53 AM   #5
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alibaba View Post
ich liebe dich....
Je t'aime mon ami or as they would say in South Africa - Ek het vir jou lief my vriend ..... I am going to get lost in this thread, just keep it coming
Old February 14th, 2008, 01:05 AM   #6
Alibaba

~ My Melbourne Momments & Surrounds - Spring 2007 ~

Each Year in Spring - Melbourne plays host for the nation most famous Melbourne Spring Racing Carnival -

It is in first week November and every first Tuesday in Novermber we even a public holiday for it !

http://www.visitvictoria.com/

http://www.vrc.net.au/melbourne-cup-carnival/

Derby Cup kicked on last Saturday - the first major event during Melbourne Cup Carnival

I love Derby. It is held on first Saturday of November - before the Melbourne Cup on Tuesday (tomorrow). I prefer Derby more than the Melbourne Cup itself. It is more the local scenes and normally more elegant.

This year I wanted it be hassle free and simple. I didnt even buy new suits... just bought new ties and shirt (in last minutes) for the races. Lots of my friends decided not to go due to bad experience in the past - overcrowded and lack of facilities. Now the organiser has limited the ticket sales and must be pre purchased.

We just went for general admissions (we got free tickets !) and spent only for 3 hrs there ... then went back to city - sober...
We had our fun - plenty of eye candies to perve- flesh, cleavage, blondes, hawt hunks & fake tans.... yeah what a party (for some)
and I won $60 bucks (and lost more!)

It was the best so far with upgraded facilities and LESS punters (116K instead of crazy 130K last year!). The new sections are really good and we felt it was so relaxing and so much spaces.... It was rather overcast day - which was good!

After the Flemington - we stayed in the city - we had few coctails and dinner at the glamourous Comme Bar (http://www.comme.com.au/) and the party just went on & on all nite...(up stair rooms were booked by Westfield Doncaster for 200 people party!).

and for tomorrow - it will be even crazier....

Enjoy the tour .... this is from the pheasant perspective (public areas) ....
Yeah this is the only time the Australia is less egalitarian ...

The quirky Entrance Gate

The Famous Victoria Derby

What is he doing with the balloon?

Myer Fashion on the Field - Men Parade

The contestants waiting..

General (pheasant) public lawn (and Skyline at the background)

Me amongst the crowd

(the fat guy sat on the lawn just had enuff champagne!)

(moi!)

The new Mounting & Stable sections

and for some - Emirates Marquee from a far (light years of difference)

Back in the city

Resting in Comme Bar before the place got swamped by the race goers

Images of some local celebrities (not my photos)[/

Models Megan Gale and Jennifer Hawkins (former Miss Universe 2004)

Carson Kersley and Aussie actress Melissa George & local male actors below

Emirate Marque entrance

Fashion on the Field competition for Ladies

Some Marquees that you can get in with bit of dough (others are by invitation only)

------

an interesting article from the AGE re Derby

http://www.theage.com.au/news/horse-...619147827.html

Ears pinned back for the races

Geoff Slattery
November 3, 2007

FLEMINGTON has a split personality. After 12 months of makeover, a great racecourse has become even greater. What the $40 million tinkering hasn't done is change its status as the world's greatest party venue.

Today's Derby Day begins four days of mayhem, when more than 110,000 once-a-year revellers will join the average crowd of 6000-plus owners, trainers, jockeys, stewards, farriers, official judge, barrier attendants, float drivers, bookmakers, racecallers, media types, hangers-on, dreamers and punters who attend regular metropolitan race meetings that are not part of the VRC Melbourne Cup Carnival, now labelled and trademarked as "The Celebration That Stops A Nation".

It is a remarkable feat of marketing, alchemy and sex that has made this carnival such an extraordinary thing, with attendance almost fundamental to what it is to be a Melburnian.

There's an irony in all this. Those of us who are fair dinkum lovers of the game hate the party days. Can't bet, can't see, can't drink, can't potter. It's a case of survival, or resignation — give up and sit at home with the computer and flick between Seven, TVN and Sky, or get out there and grumble. At home, you see more, know more, bet better; common sense would keep you on the couch. But once Derby Day is in your blood you have to be there. As always for those in love with the punt and the breed, common sense tends to be cloaked at the front gate.

For the rest, you couldn't beat 'em back with a stock whip. Come to the party! For tens of thousands this pre-Derby week is one in which so many important decisions have to be made. Can you safely wear the dress you wore to the pre-grand final swish show, or will one of the 120,000 recognise it, and offer a slight "tsk-tsk, not that again"?

High heels or flats? Open, or closed at the toe? If open, what colour for the toenails? When you get the toes done, you must take along the hat to make sure the nails form an exact colour match with the feather.

Toes on Thursday, fake tan on Friday, and never have so many taken such a close look at weather forecasts — it's all outdoors, dahling, just pray (quietly) that the drought continues at least until Sunday week.

Today the men go nuts as well, taking a leaf from the Royal Ascot book, donning absurd hats and tails, all in grey — like aged penguins. The top hats are for those privileged enough to walk within the holy of holies, well inside the members' enclosure. The real men are in bars and car parks, in their Sunday Best searching for winners — wins on the punt, and personal wins. My experience has been that once-a-year-women go uniquely for The Scene, once-a-year men seem to be able to find time to bet with hope, and chat, often with greater hope. The combination of a win on the punt, a glass of bubbly, and the hubris that comes with the massive atmosphere that will enclose Flemington today is enough to turn a 10-stone weakling into a superman brave enough to ask Francesca Cumani for a date.

You don't know Francesca Cumani? She's a rarity: the fair dinkum and the once-a-yearers feel like they have equal knowledge of this 24-year old daughter of Luca Cumani, trainer of Purple Moon, a favourite for Tuesday's Cup. Francesca's not a professional jockey, she's not a trainer, she's not an ambassador, she's not royalty. She just has The Look.

If you want a certain winner today, take the 5s on pre-post that Ms Cumani will be a guest of Seven's during today's telecast, despite the fact Purple Moon won't be performing until Tuesday. The only media Ms C hasn't done since she arrived from England to look after Purple Moon last month, is to debate Tony Abbott on the value of manners in public life.

And I haven't forgotten. There are horses too, great ones racing today for four Group 1 races (racing's highest standard), in Australia's only all Group Race day. Believe it or not on party day, it all starts with the horse, and horses need owners, also known as the world's greatest optimists. When you fork out anything from $5000 to $3 million for the privilege of horse ownership (average yearling price at the major sales in Australia this year was $117,000, with an annual cost of training and fees of $25,000) you have closed down that part of the brain that makes rational decisions. The latest figures I've seen (2003-04) show that in a normal year, more than 30,000 horses contest at least one race in Australia, and of that number only about 12,000 win at least one race. That's a lot of losers, but still they clamour for the one-in-a-million chance of holding up the Cup.

Truth is you race horses for the buzz, and palaver, and the fact you can say: "David Hayes (or Lee, or Gai) trains my horse." Usually, you'll see clusters of this optimistic lot peering lovingly at their steed in the birdcage, but in this year of Equine Influenza environment, it's harder for owners — optimistic or not — to get up close and personal with their horse than it was to get sense from old John Kerr at the '77 Cup presentation. Like Kerr, the horses this week need to be surrounded by high fences and tough security.

Even 30 years on I can still see this swaggering wannabe Lord doing a Moses in the mounting yard, holding back the jeering masses with a wave of that imperious hand, and a sweep of those unlikely snow-white locks. The only waves you see in the yard these days come from chief stipe Des Gleeson as he signals correct weight.

In fact, in this ever-changing world, the stewards and the horses may be the only things that have retained an unbroken link in style, attitude, demeanour and role in the 152 years since the first Victoria Derby was run on the ground that was to become Flemington. The jockeys not only wear advertising on their backsides, but those backsides are bigger than ever before, forcing Racing Victoria to raise the limit weight in the 2007 Emirates Melbourne Cup another kilo (to 49 kilograms); a far cry from 1863, when Henry Chifney (real name Dawes) carried 33.6 kilogams (5st 4lbs) to win the Melbourne Cup on Banker (in the only Cup to be run on a Friday), after Banker ran second in the Derby on the previous Saturday.

Once, the Victoria Derby was the Guide to the Cup — from its running in 1861 until 1941, 23 Derby winners completed the double, more than one in four. Not any more — since Skipton won that Cup in 1941, not one three-year-old has done the double, with the last of that age to come close being Nothin' Leica Dane, a gallant second to Doriemus in 1995.

Perhaps that means the horses themselves have changed as well. It is said by the Fair Dinkum Followers of Form that where once a battling old stayer with a postage stamp on its back could win the Cup, these days you need to be a multiple Group 1 winner to have a hope in the great race.

No doubt, by the end of today, there'll be a new favourite for the Cup, a new three-year-old champion, a new syndicate of owners formed, and new love many times over will have been found.

Come to the party!

Geoff Slattery is the publisher of The Thoroughbred.

---------------

Cute article from Sydney Morning Herald newspaper

Rain fails to put a damper on Melbourne Cup Carnival

http://www.smh.com.au/news/fashion/r...619197193.html

Maxine Frith
November 4, 2007

EQUINE influenza was the furthest thing from the minds of the sell-out crowd which turned out at Flemington Racecourse yesterday for the first day of the Melbourne Cup Carnival.

More than 120,000 people flocked to the famed course for the running of the Victoria Derby, undeterred by the cool weather and occasional showers.

Derby Day lifts the curtain on the spring carnival and is considered more important by racing purists than Tuesday's Melbourne Cup.

The field of fashionistas and celebrities was led by the department store rivals Jennifer Hawkins and Megan Gale, who posed for photographs together.

Fellow model Rachel Hunter was out on show, as was US-based Australian actor Melissa George.

Carson Kressley, of Queer Eye For The Straight Guy fame, was on hand to pass his acid opinion on the spring carnival designs.

Many women ignored the traditional black and white colour theme of Derby Day, favouring bright colours, particularly pink.

Maxi dresses, headbands and fascinators also seemed the order of the day.

More than $140 million is expected to be bet on the Melbourne Cup race alone, making it a class act for the bookies as well.
Old February 14th, 2008, 01:15 AM   #7
Alibaba

Australian Open 2008 - Grand Slam of Asia Pacific

~ My Melbourne Momments & Surrounds - Summer 2008 ~

It has been sleepless or lack of sleep for the last 2 weeks - thanks to Australian Open!

Yes - i am talking about the world come to play in Melbourne Park for

Australian Open Grand SLam of Asia Pacific

check the official site

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/index.html

It finaly ended last nite with epic thee hours battle between French Tsonga and Serbian Novak !

It was worth watching with crowds barracking to unseeded and underdog Tsonga

It heralded the arrival of the new generation of Tennis Superpowers & much more exciting players !!

I went there twice in the first week and I bought Ground Pass for $30 - this buy all accesses to all outdoor matches

The highly seeded players were only playing in the two Center Courts - Rod Laver Arena and VODAFONE

The Mebourne Park is just about 15 minutes walk from CBD and it has view of Melbourne Skylines

I had a chance to watch Marat Safin match (he was seeded >20 or so)

He was treated as a superstar with screaming young girls asking him to marry them !!! I was really tempted to do the same !

It was great atmosphere for sport spectacles as well of eye candies watchings.... if you know what I mean!

Please enjoy the Tour - these photos are mine from my visits (with some photos are from the official media publication - ie Getty and AGE newspaper)

The roaring crowds

Around the Melbourne Park

Marat Safin match

Its 9.30 pm and cought a tram to go home !

These are images from official site (ie Getty) - not mine !

Enjoy them too

The young Gladiators - Tsonga and Djokovich

Jubilant Djokovich in last minutes of his epic match for the title

The underdog Frenchman Tsonga (unseeded) - certainly has won local hearts and supports

hmm....

The ceremonies and excited crowds

The Woman Finale - on Saturday
The most glamorous and beautiful Tennis players meet in the final.

Adopted 'Aussie' Ana Ivanovich
She has been visiting the city as her uncle lives here. She was well embraced by locals for the last 2 weeks !

Maria won the deserving match.... Good on you !

The Australian Open Beijing live site (another one being in Sydney!)

This year attendance broke its record - over 600 000 walked past the turnstile in Melbourne Park!

Well - I am looking forward for next year Open now !

--- Note - some photos are not mine for information and dramatisation purpose only ---

-------------------------------------------
I have these photos from 2006 - when the courts were green !

Enjoy

Australian Open 2006

I normally go there every year - exception this year cos i was 'stranded' in Bali !

These are photos from last year Open

It runs for 2 weeks in Southern hemisphere summer - January and the first series of the Major four Grand Slams following the Flushing Meadows NY

It was so much fun and the city was abuzz with the energy and excitements !

hope you enjoy them

First week of the tournament - few matches were played in outdoor courts

Local Aussie supporters in gold costumes

some hawt local himbo

the Arena complex is just on the left hand sight

Last edited by Alibaba; February 17th, 2008 at 02:10 AM.
Old February 14th, 2008, 01:26 AM   #8
Alibaba

Melbourne Docklands

edit - moved to Page 2

Last edited by Alibaba; February 24th, 2008 at 12:51 AM.
Old February 14th, 2008, 02:11 AM   #9
Alibaba

Pride Parade - Midsumma Festival 08 @ St Kilda

~ My Melbourne Momments & Surrounds - Summer 2008 ~

Hi All

I have been bit slack - this event was held on Sunday 3rd Feb but i have only had time today to down load these here

This Pride Parade is part of the Midsumma Festival

Links:
http://www.midsumma.org.au/
and
http://www.pridemarch.com.au/

The official background

Pride March Victoria recognises and celebrates the people and events that inspire the courage, solidarity, pride, diversity and strong sense of community of Victoria’s gay, lesbian, bisexual, intersex and transgender people.

We organise cultural activities that bring our community together in a safe and positive environment.

The annual Pride March is our signature event and celebrates a bright future while preserving our history. It will become a key date on Victoria’s cultural calendar and a destination for interstate and international visitors.

----------

I started my day by having late lunch at 3 pm in the new chinese restaurant called Mah Jong on Fitzory st - right where the parade started.

Unfortunately, the parade started really late in the day - i think it wasaround 5 pm so i didnt stay till the end. We were meeting our friends 6.00 pm at the end of Fitzroy st - near the beach for dinner.

We then slowly walked through the packed Fitzroy street which especially closed for the event.

THe ambience was great and cosmopolitan - with people from various ages, races, genders and demographic backgrounds - swamped the street with anticipation to celebrate and embrace the parade

It was a fantastic day - warm and sunny - simply perfect day for it

Enjoy the tour

angry local opposing St Kilda development

Excited little doggy

the guy in green top looks rather hawt (he was there with 'his' girlfriend?)

Air kisses from MM

Asia Pacific Outgame participants

A vantage point for Viewing - Circa hotel

these 2 are not my photos

Swimming team

---

The Parade itself started at some point ... with Dykes on Bikes of course

It is relatively small parade (if you think of Sydney's Mardi Grass etc) and its mainly focused on the local communities... yet i found it was fun and poignant enough

if you ask - no - there was no any sexy men in speedo dancing around on the top of the float ... yet there were various colourful and big haired drag queens around !!

hmm - two pretty boys in love...

Victorian Police march - received great applause

Did I see Canadian flags?

Sexy Federal Policeman

Big Bears are running at large

not sure with this one...?

We ended up walking to St Kilda Bath - near the beach - and its broadwalk have recently been refurbished....

Every Sunday - in warmer months - they have this Salsa dancing event. There were many sultry exotic latino people go there for this - for either dancing, drinking or just parading their best assets ie legs, biceps, or cleavages to each others...
Pity my camera battery went flat so i could not take more piccies inside

/

The festival went on - the parade finished at the Catani Gardens and then party followed on.... (and plenty of eye candies to perve)
This year i didnt join in the party - well maybe next time...

I love St Kilda - it is just so relaxing and very cosmopolitan ...

It is not much of surfing beach like the other typical Australian beaches - it is a genteel and placid bay
Yet it has so much to offer!

Cheers

-- Last one for the day --
Old February 14th, 2008, 03:23 AM   #10
Alibaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYDNEY View Post
Je t'aime mon ami or as they would say in South Africa - Ek het vir jou lief my vriend ..... I am going to get lost in this thread, just keep it coming
tres bien

enjoy being lost in Melb jungle!
Old February 14th, 2008, 06:44 AM   #11
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

This sums up Melbourne for me...

well, at least the Melbourne that I fell in love with.

Great collection Ali
Old February 14th, 2008, 07:57 AM   #12
gappa
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 123

Oh Ali, you're such a social butterfly - flitting from the Queen's box at the tennis to castles on the Mornington penninsula.

Your eyes into Melbourne are the perfect guide to our lovely city, and your choice of restaurants is superb.

Thanks for the over-generous rap.

Yours slavishly,

Gappa
gappa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2008, 08:06 AM   #13
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12284

LOL! I loved these pictures! You are brilliant, Alibaba!
Old February 15th, 2008, 01:05 PM   #14
Alibaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by gappa View Post
Oh Ali, you're such a social butterfly - flitting from the Queen's box at the tennis to castles on the Mornington penninsula.

Your eyes into Melbourne are the perfect guide to our lovely city, and your choice of restaurants is superb.

Thanks for the over-generous rap.

Yours slavishly,

Gappa
Thanks sweetie

Some more to come soon!
Old February 17th, 2008, 01:59 AM   #15
isoboy

Likes (Received): 3

Great pics as always, Alibaba. My favourites were the ones that captured Melbourne's superb leafy streets and parks. Midsumma looks like quite a nice little festival. I haven't been, but in some ways it seems better than Mardi Gras - more intimate and community-based.
isoboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2008, 02:16 AM   #16
Alibaba

Melbourne Laneways and Surround

~ My Melbourne Momments - Laneways & Surrounds - Autumn 2006 ~

My favourite part of town - the labyrinth of laneways in Melbourne

I know it has been done to death - but these are my own shots ... taken during winter 2006

Little Collins st

Black is back as always in Melbourne.... These are around GPO and Myers shopping center

Around Degrave and Centerway laneways
(my favourite Crepes cafe - AIX)

Around the major City street - the wonderful Collins St...

Fed Square & Yarra river precinct

---

Last edited by Alibaba; February 17th, 2008 at 02:31 AM.
Old February 17th, 2008, 03:38 PM   #17
Alibaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
This sums up Melbourne for me...

well, at least the Melbourne that I fell in love with.

Great collection Ali
yeah agree
this cafe is my regular - the owner - Gianni - he gives me special price for my Duck crepe and coffee - as i go there regularly

it is in Centerway laneway - near Degrave

i am called the Duckman by them !
Old February 17th, 2008, 03:59 PM   #18
Alibaba

Summer @ St Kilda Beach

~ My Melbourne Momments - St Kilda Beach - Summer 2008 ~

I just love summer in Australia - especially in Melbourne

One of my favourite pastime is to relax under the sun - in St Kilda beach

I know you have seen some of St Kilda photos previously - like the Pride Parade post. These images were taken just today ... my lovely Sunday outing.

It was about 33-36 degrees today and a perfect time to spend your afternoon in St Kilda. It was around 4 pm when we arrived and tried to find a place to eat. We went straight to the beach and every cafes/restaurants were packed. Fortunetaly- we found empty table - yet it was only for 1.5hrs as it was reserved at 5.30PM...

The beach was packed by locals - tried to cool down on this hot day -. The beach itself is pretty ordinary and the bay is placid - nothing like Perth coastlines or Sydney Bondi/Manly to name a few. Yet St Kilda beach is very intimate, easy to get around and offers so many options for dining, dancing, bars and it has wonderful parks around. It has spectacular view over the city skylines and it is only just about 15 minutes tram away from the city.

St Kilda has strong focus on youth cultures and it was made famous again in last decade by successuf TV series - Secret Life of Us.
It has great mixture of yuppies, junkies, princesses, footballers and movie/TV stars - alongside with sex workers and tourists

some info

http://www.visitvictoria.com/display...D80C476A90318/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Kilda%2C_Victoria

In this collection - I only ventured to the beach section. St Kilda precinct is pretty large where it has 2 major food streets - Fitzroy and Acland streets- which were popular for locals to enjoy the long summer night.
I will show them later. Alternatively - Gappa thread shows the Acland st in detailed.

So first of all - the St Kilda Sea Bath and its new boardwalk (partly completed) and the beach

Enjoying lovely sun

these 2 from Pride Parade post photos - i like the Boardwalk shots

I cant wait for this boardwalk to be finaly completed !

ooh noo - another festival...

I was finally able to take more photos of the Salsa dance session in Sea Bath courtyard. It was too early and people were still in the practice session.

Hot Hot Hot

The ever popular local restaurants (both 2 hats)

Stokehouse

Donovans

Then we went to the Pier

surfkite

Moi

Fishing is someone pastime (not me!)

The Iconic St Kilda Kiosk at the Pier

This little bar/cafe has a view to die for. There were glamourous princesses enjoying Sunday cocktails

The spectacular view from the Pier

There are fairy penguin living underneath those rocks...

I hope you enjoy the tour... see you soon

Last edited by Alibaba; February 18th, 2008 at 01:13 AM. Reason: more info
Old February 18th, 2008, 12:47 AM   #19
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12284

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm............summmmmer.......
Old February 18th, 2008, 06:18 AM   #20
gappa
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 123

It's true - he is known as duckman. Great shots Ali, looks like your perving skills are improving.
gappa no está en línea   Reply With Quote