daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 18th, 2008, 06:41 AM   #21
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12278

I think it is high time we have a thread of Alibaba's own photos!! Well done and let us see many more!

Sponsored Links
Old February 21st, 2008, 01:30 PM   #22
Alibaba

Likes (Received): 6

Laneway Festival

The little festival that could

Liz Cincotta
February 19, 2008 - 6:44PM

From Local Newspaper AGE
http://www.theage.com.au/news/music/...04.html?page=2

It started in a smelly laneway, now the St Jerome’s festival is going global. Liz Cincotta reports.

IN CALEDONIAN Lane, tattered posters pasted onto graffi ti-choked walls fl ap in the breeze as delivery trucks trundle in with boxes of food for the few restaurants that back onto the laneway. Industrial-sized rubbish bins stand in line, while yesterday’s leafy scraps litter the ground.

Apart from the stench, there’s not a lot in this grungy city laneway: an old-time tailor, a bedding shop, and a bar — albeit one of Melbourne’s favourites — called St Jerome’s.

It’s a setting a world away from the one that a crowd of 5000-odd people will experience on Sunday, however, as the lane comes to thunderous life for the fourth annual St Jerome’s Laneway Festival, a street party celebrating an eclectic mixture of indie music.

The brainchild of friends Danny Rogers, a music promoter, and St Jerome’s owner Jerome Borazio, the laneway festival has quickly become one of the most popular on Melbourne’s festival calendar.

In three years the lineup of local and overseas performing artists has grown from eight bands to more than 30 — including Canadian songbird Feist this year.

As testament to its popularity, the festival now travels to Sydney, Brisbane and Adelaide, with Perth and several overseas locations also in the works, including New Zealand, Asia and Canada. This year’s festival sold out in December last year after only a few weeks.

Borazio says their first laneway festival was a culmination of a few different ideas."Dan and I were walking down the laneway one day and I said to him, ‘Gee, I’d love to have a party in this laneway’.

At the time I knew quite a few DJs and Danny said, ‘Mate, if you put bass into this laneway you’re going to annoy all the neighbours. How about I put rock bands in here instead?’ . . . so we developed the idea from there."

The two friends approached Melbourne City Council and fi led an application to close the laneway to hold a small event.

That "small event", held in February 2005, attracted 1500 people and a lot of attention, including demand from other states and requests from Australian and overseas bands.

"It became a word-of-mouth thing, people just started talking and talking," he says.

"I remember the week after the first show, feeling pretty proud that we did it, so many people came up to us saying, ‘That’s probably one of the best parties I’ve ever been to’. That was the consensus among a lot of people and we were rapt with that."

Both Borazio and Rogers concur that there was no five-year plan. And while the festival’s popularity is due to a number of factors — including Melbourne’s love of laneway culture and intimate events — both say its success is also in part due to Melbourne City Council’s"good vision" and the support of local traders and residents.

"I don’t think we ever had a big grand plan to take on Melbourne. We imagined things and then thought, ‘Let’s have a go. Let’s talk to council. Let’s see whether these things are viable’, because if they were, holy hell, it could be incredible. And thankfully, council has been fantastic and supportive," says Rogers.

Rogers and Borazio recognise that people love to embrace Melbourne’s laneway culture and the myriad laneway bars, cafes and boutique shops bring a lot of people into the city. And there’s no doubt the laneway festival contributes to promoting that culture in Melbourne.

Rogers says: "To throw a world-class music event celebrating the laneway culture in the city just really highlights the strongest element of what the city is building a culture around."

The pair go through a long consultation process with local residents and businesses hoping that any potential problems can be ironed out. Borazio personally made a letter drop to 2000 people in the area notifying them of the event.

The 80 or so residents of nearby Drewery Lane are so embracing of the festival that they will hold a fund-raising barbecue on the day.

Says Rogers: "They (the residents) are a real mixture of age groups and different demographics and cultural backgrounds. That sort of stuff is awesome. Involving the local traders and community is something we’re pretty proud of."

One hurdle that is often present in many of Melbourne’s beloved laneways is the stench from garbage bins. The night before their first festival, Rogers and Borazio rounded up a group of friends who found themselves rolling 40 dumpsters out of the laneway at midnight. This year a professional cleaning company has that honour.

But Rogers reckons there are some things you simply can’t control."The stench really depends on the week before. It depends what they’re cooking in the kitchen. If they’ve got a duck special on then everyone’s in trouble," he laughs.

"One year a kitchen hand came out the back holding this massive box filled with chicken carcasses — I’m talking a smell that made you want to vomit — and he walked through a crowd of 1500 people with it! He was just freaking people out," Rogers recalls.

This year the festival will spread from Caledonian Lane to other nearby locations including Arcade Alley, Drewery Lane and an annexed area in Lonsdale Street, with events at Sister Bella in Sniders Lane and Lounge in Swanston Street.

"I don’t think in our wildest dreams the fi rst year that we did the festival we thought that we would be putting the show on Lonsdale Street," Rogers says."I remember Jerome actually saying, ‘We should close down the mall’, and I kept walking and just said, ‘Shut up!’ "

Melbourne’s St Jerome’s festival is on this Sunday from midday to 10pm.

LINK: www.lanewayfestival.com.au

And a photo by Tony P

Last edited by Alibaba; February 21st, 2008 at 01:41 PM.
Alibaba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2008, 02:41 PM   #23
Alphaville

Likes (Received): 375

double post
Alphaville no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2008, 02:42 PM   #24
Alphaville

Likes (Received): 375

The pic (Caledonian Lane) really sums up the youthful soul of Melbourne in sometimes gritty streetscapes (odd for a city regarded as one of the World's most liveable).

Melbourne has countless inner city lanes and allies packed full of bars, coffee shops, boutiques and hidden clubs - but Degraves and Centre Way really are the two iconic ones and perhaps most overexposed in promotion. There are soooo many other little hidden districts like those behind the major streets -- to document them all in pictures would be not only impossable but would be an enormous thread.

Very few cities in the World have such a huge bohemian precence in the Downtown area-- and so close to financial and business hubs (New York perhaps being an obvious exception). It's a great mix to see the young and beautiful (and jaded) drinking during the day in an outdoor bar with businessmen power lunching at the table next to them.

Last edited by Alphaville; February 21st, 2008 at 02:48 PM.
Alphaville no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2008, 03:01 PM   #25
gappa
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 123

I love St Jeromes and Melbourne's laneway culture. It truely is a uniquely Melbourne thing.

Keep up the good work Ali.
gappa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2008, 05:02 PM   #26
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12278

Exactly... get that camera out and get snapping!
Old February 23rd, 2008, 11:51 AM   #27
me!bourne

Likes (Received): 0

Amazing photos of an amazing city!
me!bourne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2008, 02:50 PM   #28
Alibaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by me!bourne View Post
Amazing photos of an amazing city!
your FIRST post... welcome !
Old February 23rd, 2008, 03:14 PM   #29
Scanderbeg
nacionalisti

Likes (Received): 254

I love Melbourne! I havent been to many cities in the world to visit (although im planning to)....but i think nothing compares to the way of life in Melbourne. Its so entertaining and so beautiful to look at. Really clean, modern and has everything a great city should have without being over-populated.
Scanderbeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2008, 03:18 PM   #30
Halabalooza
Registered Photographer

Likes (Received): 3

ahh heath ledger on page 1! rip
Halabalooza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 12:36 AM   #31
Alibaba

edit
Old February 24th, 2008, 12:37 AM   #32
Alibaba

Royal Melbourne Zoo

~ My Melbourne Momments - Royal Melbourne Zoo - Spring 2007 ~

Just sticky beak for the Royal Melbourne Zoo like

The new home for the Asian elephant is rather unique - with its South East Asian theme ...

enjoy

[/QUOTE]
Old February 24th, 2008, 12:43 AM   #33
Alibaba

Melbourne - Sporting Events City

~ My Melbourne Momments & Surrounds - Autumn 2007 ~

In Autum 2007 Melbourne hosted FINA 12th World Swimming Championships

I went there for couple of events and these are some of the photos i took

Early morning - as the first event was at 10 am

went for Diving semifinal at Melbourne Aquatic Center

then went to St Kilda beach for lunch

That is me

then came back for water polos - 4 matches for all nite

Spanish team got told off by their coach

you can see the Melbourne Skyline from this venue

the next week i went to different venue at Rod Laver Arena @ Melbourne Park for the swimming events
it was so exciting

the fire were lit off when World record was broken !!

Team USA dominates the events !
with Michael Phelps being the major champion !

some of the cultural events to go along with the sporting ones

Aquarium men !
Old February 24th, 2008, 12:49 AM   #34
Alibaba

Melbourne Random Photos

The Spiegletent - St Kilda Road

A new Laneway - Melbourne Central

Last edited by Alibaba; February 24th, 2008 at 01:36 AM.
Old February 24th, 2008, 12:52 AM   #35
Alibaba

Melbourne Docklands

Melbourne Docklands

Some of my old photos of Melbourne Docklands going back 2006-2007 - this Australia largest multi billion dollar urban redevelopment of the old Melbourne waterfront - converted for residential, leisure and low rise office buildings.

The new suburb/part of city down town will add extra 20% of current city size

The project has been going for last 8 years or so and is still progressing over next 5-10 yrs

I will add more next time - in the mean time - enjoy

for more info
http://www.docklands.com/docklands/a...nu/index.shtml
Old February 24th, 2008, 12:53 AM   #36
Alibaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better View Post
Exactly... get that camera out and get snapping!
i have assigned agent Gappa to execute the phototakings....

its on today - but it is rather cold... brrrr
Old February 24th, 2008, 12:55 AM   #37
Alibaba

St Kilda beachfront boardwalk

Before 2007

after 2008

Old February 24th, 2008, 01:08 AM   #38
Alibaba

Melbourne - Sporting Events City

~ My Melbourne Momments & Surrounds - Autumn 2006 ~

Once again ... another 'old' collection and not in time order

This was in March 2006 when Melbourne hosted the Commonwealth Games ....

for those who never heard of Commonwealth Games - check these links

http://www.melbourne2006.com.au/Channels/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Commonwealth_Games

I did post these in earlier thread - but could not find it...

So - these are my collections ...

It was so much fun and Melbourne was working hard to ensure this massive sporting events were held in great order.... and we did it well....

Lots of city parks converted to the venues and gathering places and also for the Festival - designed for the Games

Giant Dingo - made from flowers

St Kilda during the Games

the Sandcastles prepared for the Games

Live telecast on the beach

The Beachfront market

The city during the games

Sunset over the public Artwork - Sandride Bridge

Federation Square - free concerts every day and people were dancing on the Square after midnite - (on weeknight!)

The Yarra River was the showcase for the opening and closing ceremonies with metal fish representing all 71 countries participated in the games

Wales rugby players

I went to couple of events - like MCG for Athletic

Due to the Games - it has interrupted the regular event - Australian Grand Prix
So when the games were still on - the Grand Prix Promotion already started to sell this event to the crowds

Official/Newspaper Photos - to portray the actual closing/opening nights

Dame Edna

Bollywood Megastar - Aishwara Rai

Yarra River lit up

Last edited by Alibaba; February 24th, 2008 at 01:36 AM.
Old February 24th, 2008, 04:00 AM   #39
gappa
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 123

Great sets as always Ali!

I went to St Jeromes yesterday and saw them setting up for the festival but had to leave before it started, and I can't make it today; bummer! Still there's lots to take photos of in Melbourne over the next month, what with the Grand Prix, the Moomba festival, The Food and Wine festival and the Comedy festival; we'll need to get busy.
gappa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008, 12:40 AM   #40
Alibaba

From todays article

With feasts for all the senses, locals enjoy the festivals boom

Daniel Ziffer
February 25, 2008

Festival-goers in a party mood enjoy the music and atmosphere at yesterday's Laneway Festival.

Photo: Penny Stephens

YOU wouldn't normally expect it in a month of Sundays. Melburnians yesterday turned out in force to enjoy a feast of summer festivals.
One of them — the Laneway Festival — started on a tiny path outside a hot city cafe in 2006. It has since exploded onto a main street — Lonsdale — and new venues across the city.

Yesterday's Melbourne instalment of the festival had acts including Gotye and the Presets to set the crowd bouncing on a road normally clogged with shoppers and traffic.

Patron Joel Butts described the day as awesome and praised organisers. "It's just a unique sort of festival — very Melbourne," the 25-year-old said. "There are people who are cool without trying to be cool, you know?"

Meanwhile, more relaxed but no less enthusiastic crowds were out enjoying the tastes and atmosphere of the Harvest Picnic at Hanging Rock and gorging themselves at Bright Young Things! — a five-hour, six-course lunch hosted by Sommeliers Australia.

Back in Swanston Street, the Lounge bar, on the street, and in the laneway that started it all, Caledonian, patrons spilled in all directions. St Jerome's cafe was packed, but Lonsdale Street had Perth act the Panics pumping the crowd.

A. J., 31, said he was waiting to hear Canadian singer Feist. "I've been spending a lot of time in the UK, so it's great to see the festival scene so good here. It's really addictive."

But others were less impressed with the event's rapid expansion.

Asked why she was there, Stephanie Radford said: "We're asking ourselves the same question."

Mild conditions slimmed the bar queue, but space was cramped in the few laneways available to seek respite from the speakers.

"There's no 'down' space where you can go to get out of it," she said. "Maybe it's got too big too quickly."

Cowboy shirts and singlets were popular wear for men, with women concert-goers opting for slinky dresses, headbands and slogan-emblazoned T-shirts. "I love riff-raff," one said.

http://lanewayfestival.com.au
http://melbournefoodandwine.com.au

I will go to some of the events this year - bit of drinks and food on summer nights.