daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 1st, 2008, 06:40 AM   #221
Steeltown

Likes (Received): 143

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
Not really Upper James (too generic) but the northern part of Upper James and the residential areas nearby. Those neighbourhoods seem to be around 80 years old and there might be enough interesting stuff there for a tour.
Your getting into the neighbourhood I grew up in. I went to Queensdale Elementary School. It's got a huge front yard with really tall old trees. A lot of nice homes around the area too.

When you want something to eat stop by Cafe Palazzo at Upper James for a panzerotti, the best ever! You won't regret it.
Steeltown no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 1st, 2008, 03:46 PM   #222
flar
____

Likes (Received): 57

The Bayfront

This tour looks at the west harbour area, Bayfront Park and Cootes Paradise. Many people don't
know about Hamilton's natural beauty, or its great quality of life, but it's starting to catch on. The
redevelopment of the waterfront has led to the gentrification of the North End.

A map of the area. The red areas show the areas I took pictures from. The Green areas show the extent
of parkland around the Bay and Cootes Paradise.

Old August 1st, 2008, 05:13 PM   #223
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12280

Some beauties in this crop, Flar! Nicely done!
Old August 3rd, 2008, 01:22 AM   #224
Steeltown

I love the work that the city has done with the west end of the Harbour. About five years ago Pier 8 was a shipping dock and closed off to the public, fenced in. Now it's what you see above. Sheila Copps has to take some of the credit!

I haven't been on the trolley yet.

Nice job flar!
Old August 4th, 2008, 06:48 AM   #225
algonquin

Likes (Received): 22

Hamilton has a great waterfront.... I used to live right near all of that! They are planning a pedestrian bridge near the foot of Locke Street for waterfront access. As it stands right now if your near Dundurn Castle, you have to go along nasty Barton to get there, or all the way to the High Level bridge.
algonquin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2008, 03:24 PM   #226
flar
____

A little further east they've just completed a bridge on Ferguson St.
Old August 8th, 2008, 05:13 AM   #227
Steeltown

adam from SSP, the new Ferguson Bridge to the waterfront......

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam View Post
Few shots from the top taken this afternoon..
They were watering the trees from the truck you can see in the 1st pic

Construction of the Hamilton Health Sciences Research Institute building from the new Bridge
Old August 10th, 2008, 08:31 AM   #228
flar
____

A few shots from the Hamilton Mardi Gras Carnival:

Old August 10th, 2008, 08:35 AM   #229
flar
____

A few shots from the James North Art Crawl on Friday:

Old August 11th, 2008, 02:56 AM   #230
Steeltown

Very nice! Both of those events took place on James St North, cultural heart of Hamilton.

You're doing an impressive job!
Old August 11th, 2008, 04:19 AM   #231
thecarlost
Me auto-Bahn

Likes (Received): 9

Hey! you really know how to spotlight what should be seen in Hamilton. Seeing those pictures of Bayfront somehow makes me feel like it's home, and i'm missing it. As said above, great job hermano.
thecarlost no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2008, 06:30 PM   #232
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4271

Great pictures. I saw these a few weeks ago and they got me into the mood for my upcoming trip to Buffalo/Canada. Now, I see them again, and they are a nice reminder of my great trip and all of the great places in Ontario.

Where was #22 (the houses with the sailboats in front) taken from? That is a great picture, and it reminds me of places on the Chesapeake Bay, like Annapolis.

#46 is a good slice of generic small-town Ontario. It looks like something that I would see in Port Colborne, or Fort Erie, or Crystal Beach.
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2008, 05:37 AM   #233
flar
____

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecarlost View Post
Hey! you really know how to spotlight what should be seen in Hamilton. Seeing those pictures of Bayfront somehow makes me feel like it's home, and i'm missing it. As said above, great job hermano.
Gracias brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post

Where was #22 (the houses with the sailboats in front) taken from? That is a great picture, and it reminds me of places on the Chesapeake Bay, like Annapolis.
That picture was taken from the Macassa Bay Yacht club and the houses are part of the North End neighbourhood. If you look at the map up at the top of the page, Macassa Bay is the tiny bay between Bayfront Park and Pier 4 park.

Speaking of the North End, I saw a lady with an interesting shirt the other day:
Old August 12th, 2008, 07:16 PM   #234
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

I was looking through many of your threads in the U.S. and Canada section of SSP and I already want to go back to Ontario. I'm looking forward to many more neighborhood tours of Hamilton.

I actually took some pictures of Hamilton myself this time up there. I'll be posting that some time relatively soon. I have some questions about Hamilton, but I'll ask them in the Ontario section when I get home from work since I have other Ontario questions.

I noticed on a road atlas the neighborhoods of Normanhurst and Bartonville on the east side. Have you covered either of these yet? Are they interesting at all?

I got stuck going the wrong way on the QEW since they were doing work on the end of the Red Hill Expressway, and had to turn around. I somehow ended up on Confederation Parkway, and decided since I could see the beach area, that I would go see it. I was tired of driving, so I didn't tour the Hamilton Beach neighborhood, but I did go on the beach and see Toronto.

Finally, what general places in Ontario do you plan on showing us in threads, either in this thread or in new threads on SSP? Places along Lake Erie? Places near Toronto? Places north of Toronto? Way up north in Ontario? Close to Quebec?
Old August 12th, 2008, 10:59 PM   #235
flar
____

Quote:
I was looking through many of your threads in the U.S. and Canada section of SSP and I already want to go back to Ontario. I'm looking forward to many more neighborhood tours of Hamilton.

I actually took some pictures of Hamilton myself this time up there. I'll be posting that some time relatively soon. I have some questions about Hamilton, but I'll ask them in the Ontario section when I get home from work since I have other Ontario questions.
It'll be interesting to see your perspective on Hamilton and what areas you visited.

Quote:
I noticed on a road atlas the neighborhoods of Normanhurst and Bartonville on the east side. Have you covered either of these yet? Are they interesting at all?
I don't really know much about that part of the city. I've posted a few pics from Parkdale Ave which goes through Normanhurst. Parkdale looks like a 1950's commercial strip that has seen better days. Bartonville was a small village I believe, but I don't know if there is anything significant there other than a handful of houses much older than their neighbours.

Quote:
I got stuck going the wrong way on the QEW since they were doing work on the end of the Red Hill Expressway, and had to turn around. I somehow ended up on Confederation Parkway, and decided since I could see the beach area, that I would go see it. I was tired of driving, so I didn't tour the Hamilton Beach neighborhood, but I did go on the beach and see Toronto.
I hate the roads in that area, very confusing. I still haven't got my beach pics, we just haven't had much good weather this summer (cool and wet). Actually today's newspaper said we've had 13 wet weekends so far this summer

Quote:
Finally, what general places in Ontario do you plan on showing us in threads, either in this thread or in new threads on SSP? Places along Lake Erie? Places near Toronto? Places north of Toronto? Way up north in Ontario? Close to Quebec?
Definitely nothing too far north or close to Quebec, but I wish I had the time for that. Places in Eastern Ontario along the north shore of Lake Ontario and the St. Lawrence River are very old and have great architecture. I will generally be sticking to places within an hour or two of Hamilton, maybe some stuff from the Niagara Peninsula or Lake Erie shore. I'm looking forward to Stratford sometime in the next couple months.
Old August 12th, 2008, 11:26 PM   #236
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

I'm interested in seeing some more places that you show. What's nice is that they're all a short drive away from Port Colborne, where my grandparents' cottage is. So, I can see these places for myself as well. Speaking of Port Colborne, will you ever be visiting there? I've done a thread on it a couple years ago (I'll have to find the link), but I'd like to see how you show it. The same goes for Port Dalhousie, which I made a thread for in the Winter.

Jaybird explained Hamilton to me in a way that I finally understand. Hamilton used to be like the Regional Municipality of Niagara: townships and towns were combined to make "mini-counties". Now, that whole county is now a city-county, just like Philadelphia the city is also Philadelphia County. The difference between Hamilton and Philadelphia is that Philadelphia is completely developed. Another comparison would be like taking Erie County and making the entire thing the city of Buffalo, rural areas and all. Are these comparisons correct?

Will you ever be doing photo tours of the rural communites in Hamilton? For instance, I drove around Sheffield and Rockton on my way to/from Kitchener. I noticed a few more on maps: Troy, Lynden, Copetown, Alberton, and Flamborough. I'm sure that there's even more. It seems like there's a ton of possibilities with Hamilton.
Old August 13th, 2008, 05:37 AM   #237
flar
____

The new city of Hamilton is the former county of Wentworth. The rural areas are a problem for the city, because the interests of rural residents are fundamentally different from those of city residents. The tax system is screwed up, they call it "area rating." The rural areas don't pay as much for services like transit and fire, which means their taxes are much lower. Rural and suburban areas are also overrepresented on city council, and keep voting against things that would be good for the city. Adding to the problem is that many of the suburbs and rural areas vehemently opposed amalgamation, and vote for city councilors that feed into that anger. The city is seriously broke, and recent attempts to start correcting the tax system caused a minor revolt in Flamborough.

Here is a list of what different residents pay based on an average house assessed at $207,000:

Stoney Creek (urban/suburban):
Fire: $191
Transit: $56
Culture & Rec: $66
Total: $313

Glanbrook (mostly rural)
Fire: $62
Transit: $66
Culture & Rec: $34
Total: $162

Ancaster (suburban/some rural)
Fire: $212
Transit: $36
Culture & Rec: $85
Total: $333

Hamilton (urban)
Fire: $341
Transit: $189
Culture & Rec: $165
Total: $695

Dundas (urban/suburban)
Fire: $224
Transit: $45
Culture & Rec: $85
Total: $354

Flamborough (mostly rural/suburban)
Fire: $177
Transit: $32
Culture & Rec: $51
Total: $260

As you can see, it should be Hamilton residents complaining, not Flamborough, since their taxes are more than double.
Old August 13th, 2008, 05:43 AM   #238
flar
____

I may someday do photo tours of the rural areas, but they're not a priority. Many of the places like Copetown are very small. They all have some nice old houses, usually gothic revival, but not too much else of interest. I would have to do a multiple tour of several villages. There are a ton of them though. I can think of quite a few villages and hamlets around Hamilton: Copetown, Lynden, Rockton, Jerseyville, Mount Hope, Binbrook, Winona, Elfrida, Troy, Carlisle, Greensville, Freelton and I know I'm missing some.

I might get down to Port Colbourne, Welland and Fort Erie someday too. Port Dover cuold be another.
Old August 13th, 2008, 02:23 PM   #239
Steeltown

Port Dover is a must, got Friday the 13th haha you'll be stuck with thousands of bikers.
Old August 13th, 2008, 03:23 PM   #240
flar
____

I don't have a motorcycle so I'd feel like a tool on Friday the 13th! It would make for some amazing pics though, they can get 100,000+ bikers on Friday the 13th.

For the next tour, I want to go back into some urban settings. I apologize in advance for showing snow at this time of year, but you'll all have to wait for the tour following this one for more summer pics