daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 31st, 2008, 04:18 PM   #261
flar
____

Likes (Received): 57

Strathcona is a large, historic, urban neighbourhood northwest of downtown Hamilton.
This neighbourhood has everything from tiny cottages and rowhouses to highrises and
large mansions. Strathcona features two of Hamilton's best known landmarks: Dundurn
Castle and the Cathedral of Christ the King. I showed some photos of Dundurn on the last page.

The first photo shows the Cathedral of Christ the King, seat of the Roman Catholic Diocese
of Hamilton. The cathedral was built in 1931 and its exterior consists of limestone while its
tower dominates the western entrance to Hamilton.

flar no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 31st, 2008, 04:19 PM   #262
flar
____

Old August 31st, 2008, 04:19 PM   #263
flar
____

Old August 31st, 2008, 04:21 PM   #264
flar
____

Old August 31st, 2008, 04:22 PM   #265
flar
____

Old August 31st, 2008, 04:22 PM   #266
flar
____

Castle Doune
Old August 31st, 2008, 04:25 PM   #267
flar
____

Old September 2nd, 2008, 03:30 PM   #268
felcap

Likes (Received): 0

HAMILTON, SO MUCH TO OFFER

This site is incredible. I just love it. thank you for taking the time to do this work. this is something that our city should be doing to prmote and expose our areas. I was born and raised in this great city. As a life member with the HEAD OF THE LAKE HISTORICAL SOCIETY and also a member of FREINDS OF GAGE PARK the meetings over the years have really made me understand HAMILTON. were we where. were we are. and were we are going. People that do work like you are very important. It helps hamilton move forward. Thank you. I was wondering you are missing one of hamiltons distintive areas The DELAWARE/ST CLAIR HERITAGE DISTRICT. take a drive through you be impressed. hope to see this area and its grand homes soon. thanx again.FELCAP
felcap no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2008, 05:45 AM   #269
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4271

Nice pictures of Strathcona. I'll have to look around this neighborhood more some time; I saw a little bit of it when an exit took me into the city. Actually, one of the streets that I had to use to turn around is in a picture, I think.

Don't you think it would've ben better to put the beach pictures up, with Labor Day and all?
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2008, 04:22 PM   #270
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12280

I'm still laughing at that sign:
"HIPPIES USE BACK DOOR - NO EXCEPTION"

Old September 3rd, 2008, 07:33 PM   #271
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244600

Very nice pics
Quote:
Hippies use back door - no exception
very funny
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2008, 08:11 PM   #272
flar
____

Quote:
Originally Posted by felcap View Post
This site is incredible. I just love it. thank you for taking the time to do this work. this is something that our city should be doing to prmote and expose our areas. I was born and raised in this great city. As a life member with the HEAD OF THE LAKE HISTORICAL SOCIETY and also a member of FREINDS OF GAGE PARK the meetings over the years have really made me understand HAMILTON. were we where. were we are. and were we are going. People that do work like you are very important. It helps hamilton move forward. Thank you. I was wondering you are missing one of hamiltons distintive areas The DELAWARE/ST CLAIR HERITAGE DISTRICT. take a drive through you be impressed. hope to see this area and its grand homes soon. thanx again.FELCAP

Thanks felcap.

I have a nice set of photos of St. Clair taken last fall, I will post them soon.
Old September 4th, 2008, 08:13 PM   #273
flar
____

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Nice pictures of Strathcona. I'll have to look around this neighborhood more some time; I saw a little bit of it when an exit took me into the city. Actually, one of the streets that I had to use to turn around is in a picture, I think.

Don't you think it would've ben better to put the beach pictures up, with Labor Day and all?
The beach is up next, summer's not quite over...
Old September 6th, 2008, 07:01 AM   #274
felcap

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
Thanks felcap.

I have a nice set of photos of St. Clair taken last fall, I will post them soon.
Thank you for your response. This area is very attractive. and prices are even more attractive. The price range is around $250.000 to now $500.000. with a few homes breaking the ceiling at $520.000+. I have lived in this area for eight years. originaly from stoney creek. yes I said stoney creek. WOW what a differance. I have to admit moving from a city that by 8:00pm the fastest thing you may see moving is a tumbelweed. ah ya BOOORING. Moving down town is like moving to NEW YORK. PEOPLE, CULTURE, FESTIVALS, REAL MARKETS, HERITAGE, ARCHITECTURE. and I can go on. lets not be mitaken inercity living at times is a love hate realationship but here it realy feels like your in life. like your living. Hamilton is now starting to be knowen as the bigest little city going. thankx for your site. felcap.
felcap no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2008, 03:04 AM   #275
flar
____

Quote:
Originally Posted by felcap View Post
Thank you for your response. This area is very attractive. and prices are even more attractive. The price range is around $250.000 to now $500.000. with a few homes breaking the ceiling at $520.000+. I have lived in this area for eight years. originaly from stoney creek. yes I said stoney creek. WOW what a differance. I have to admit moving from a city that by 8:00pm the fastest thing you may see moving is a tumbelweed. ah ya BOOORING. Moving down town is like moving to NEW YORK. PEOPLE, CULTURE, FESTIVALS, REAL MARKETS, HERITAGE, ARCHITECTURE. and I can go on. lets not be mitaken inercity living at times is a love hate realationship but here it realy feels like your in life. like your living. Hamilton is now starting to be knowen as the bigest little city going. thankx for your site. felcap.

Yes, Hamilton is very urban, the lower city especially is like a big city. Of course, Hamilton was once one of Canada's largest and most powerful cities. We're still the largest Canadian port on the Great Lakes and the largest concentration of heavy industry in Canada. A little known fact is that Hamilton was the last Canadian city other than Montreal or Toronto to have the headquarters for a national bank. And Hamilton also hosted the first Commonwealth Games and even had an NHL team. The mansions in neighbourhoods like St. Clair (coming soon) and Durand (which was shown on the first page of this thread) are evidence of Hamilton's historic wealth. One of the reasons I post all these pictures is to show what an architecturally and historically rich city Hamilton is. I'm glad people like you are rediscovering Hamilton because I find--as someone who is not originally from Hamilton--that too many people here take the city for granted and treat it with derision. People who come to Hamilton from other cities and take the time to get to know it often realize its rich past and great potential more than people who have lived here all their lives and just complain about it.
Old September 8th, 2008, 07:39 PM   #276
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

I like how you changed your neighborhood pictures and spread them out amongst a few posts. It will help move the thread along faster, which means more pictures for us to view at a sooner rate. One thing that you could do, though, is have a little bit of information at the beginning of those posts; it would help with the flow from one post to another, in my opinion, and it would give some differentiation between the big neighborhood tours and the "filler" or "bumping" pictures that you sometimes put on the bottom of pages.
Old September 10th, 2008, 07:20 AM   #277
flar
____

Quote:
I like how you changed your neighborhood pictures and spread them out amongst a few posts. It will help move the thread along faster, which means more pictures for us to view at a sooner rate. One thing that you could do, though, is have a little bit of information at the beginning of those posts; it would help with the flow from one post to another, in my opinion, and it would give some differentiation between the big neighborhood tours and the "filler" or "bumping" pictures that you sometimes put on the bottom of pages.
I will try that.

btw, do you have some Hamilton pics of your own coming up?
Old September 10th, 2008, 08:25 PM   #278
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
I will try that.

btw, do you have some Hamilton pics of your own coming up?
I do, but it will probably be a while. Just in Ontario, I have 5 cities to make photothreads of, including Hamilton. I have several threads for a few states that I also have to do: 6 or 7 threads for Pennsylvania, 4 or 5 for New York, more than 10 for Delaware, 3 for Maryland, and 2 for New Jersey.
Old September 15th, 2008, 04:14 AM   #279
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Bump for the next neighborhood.
Old September 15th, 2008, 02:57 PM   #280
flar
____

Quote:
I do, but it will probably be a while. Just in Ontario, I have 5 cities to make photothreads of, including Hamilton. I have several threads for a few states that I also have to do: 6 or 7 threads for Pennsylvania, 4 or 5 for New York, more than 10 for Delaware, 3 for Maryland, and 2 for New Jersey.
Wow, that should keep you going well into the fall!