daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 4th, 2008, 03:22 PM   #341
flar
____

Likes (Received): 57

I've shown a lot of Hamilton neighbourhoods, but I rarely venture onto "the mountain"
(as it is known to Hamiltonians). Concession Street is Hamilton Mountain's oldest
commercial district. The Concession Street area features many eclectic shops, Henderson
Hospital and a major cancer centre, as well as some nice homes and condos overlooking
the mountain brow. The Concession Street area was once known as "Little Africa" as it was
a major destination for former slaves who arrived here on the underground railroad. Many
of them later returned to the United States while others scattered around the Hamilton area
and southern Ontario.

I've also thrown in the odd obligatory view of the lower city.

flar no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 4th, 2008, 03:24 PM   #342
flar
____

Old October 4th, 2008, 03:24 PM   #343
flar
____

Old October 4th, 2008, 03:24 PM   #344
flar
____

Old October 4th, 2008, 03:25 PM   #345
flar
____

Old October 4th, 2008, 03:26 PM   #346
flar
____

Old October 4th, 2008, 03:27 PM   #347
flar
____

Old October 4th, 2008, 03:27 PM   #348
flar
____

Old October 4th, 2008, 03:28 PM   #349
flar
____

Old October 4th, 2008, 03:29 PM   #350
flar
____

Old October 4th, 2008, 03:34 PM   #351
flar
____

These pictures were taken last October 30th. I'll try to get up to Concession St. sometime this week for updates. Henderson Hospital is undergoing a huge expansion and I want to get updated pictures of the condo that was under construction when I took these photos.
Old October 4th, 2008, 04:54 PM   #352
archy_

Likes (Received): 0

Don't tell me this is a bookstore:

archy_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2008, 12:07 AM   #353
thecarlost
Me auto-Bahn

Likes (Received): 9

Those retailers brought me the Upper Wentworth route inmediately. But i can't remember if there was a Dairy Queen at Concession.

It was before i remembered it was called instead, Dairy Treats, a quite humble looking shop.
thecarlost no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2008, 02:53 AM   #354
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4273

Nice pictures. I don't think I've seen any of these pictures before.

I'm guessing that there is a good view from Viewpoint Avenue?
xzmattzx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2008, 05:40 PM   #355
Jaborandi

Likes (Received): 125

flar

After seeing your post on the Stinson neighbourhood, I took the GO bus down the QEW to Hamilton and had a look for myself. What a thoroughly enjoyable walk on a beautifil autumn day. So many lovely treed streets untouched by monster McMansions incursions. The best of course was the Good Shepherd building above. I finished off a perfect day with another first for myself - lunch at the Pagoda Chop Suey House. I have been curious about that mysterious 2nd floor establishment ever since I was a kid. The food was great!

Thanks!
Jaborandi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2008, 04:53 AM   #356
flar
____

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Nice pictures. I don't think I've seen any of these pictures before.

I'm guessing that there is a good view from Viewpoint Avenue?
Great views from almost everywhere along the escarpment. If you make it to Hamilton again, go to Sam Lawrence Park. It overlooks the centre of the city and on a clear day you can see much of Hamilton and the GTA.
Old October 8th, 2008, 05:03 AM   #357
flar
____

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaborandi View Post

After seeing your post on the Stinson neighbourhood, I took the GO bus down the QEW to Hamilton and had a look for myself. What a thoroughly enjoyable walk on a beautifil autumn day. So many lovely treed streets untouched by monster McMansions incursions. The best of course was the Good Shepherd building above. I finished off a perfect day with another first for myself - lunch at the Pagoda Chop Suey House. I have been curious about that mysterious 2nd floor establishment ever since I was a kid. The food was great!

Thanks!
I love the design of the Stinson neighbourhood, and especially the way that large stone house is situated at the end of East St. They really knew how to make great streetscapes in Victorian times. Hopefully you got a look at Stinson School too. You probably also saw an entire block or two of boxy 1960s apartment buildings. There was apparently a great Romanesque structure there to complement the Stinson School at one time. I think it may have been a high school or YMCA but it's long gone.

I believe Stinson is one of the fastest gentrifying neighbourhoods in Hamilton. Tons of renos in the last few years. I also think Stinson is the most Toronto-like neighbourhood in Hamilton, with its many narrow, steep gabled 2.5 story semi-detached Victorians. Other neighbourhoods have a more distinctly Hamilton vernacular.
Old October 8th, 2008, 07:26 PM   #358
Jaborandi

Likes (Received): 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
I love the design of the Stinson neighbourhood, and especially the way that large stone house is situated at the end of East St. They really knew how to make great streetscapes in Victorian times. Hopefully you got a look at Stinson School too. You probably also saw an entire block or two of boxy 1960s apartment buildings. There was apparently a great Romanesque structure there to complement the Stinson School at one time. I think it may have been a high school or YMCA but it's long gone.

I believe Stinson is one of the fastest gentrifying neighbourhoods in Hamilton. Tons of renos in the last few years. I also think Stinson is the most Toronto-like neighbourhood in Hamilton, with its many narrow, steep gabled 2.5 story semi-detached Victorians. Other neighbourhoods have a more distinctly Hamilton vernacular.

I did indeed see the Stinson School. I was quite intrigued by the horizontal bar of stone connecting what look like pillars either side of the roof point. What is the future of the building? There was a sign indicating it's closure. It's quite a massive complex when you see the other structure behind it. Both have a wonderful slate roof. They would make for an amazing loft conversion. I agree about the similarity of the neighbourhood to Toronto but on the other hand, it has a distinctively Hamilton feel about it, especially the brick. I've mentioned before about the incredible orangeness of Hamilton brick and how enlivens its host. I was also struck by the number of low rise apartment buildings in the area - a lot. I intend to continue to visit Hamilton and explore more of the areas which you have shown on your excellent tour of a remarkable city. Thanks
Jaborandi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2008, 09:48 PM   #359
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4273

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
Great views from almost everywhere along the escarpment. If you make it to Hamilton again, go to Sam Lawrence Park. It overlooks the centre of the city and on a clear day you can see much of Hamilton and the GTA.
Next Summer, I plan on exploring Hamilton extensively. I will definitely catch the views from the Escarpment while I'm there.
xzmattzx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2008, 03:17 PM   #360
flar
____

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaborandi View Post

I did indeed see the Stinson School. I was quite intrigued by the horizontal bar of stone connecting what look like pillars either side of the roof point. What is the future of the building? There was a sign indicating it's closure. It's quite a massive complex when you see the other structure behind it. Both have a wonderful slate roof. They would make for an amazing loft conversion. I agree about the similarity of the neighbourhood to Toronto but on the other hand, it has a distinctively Hamilton feel about it, especially the brick. I've mentioned before about the incredible orangeness of Hamilton brick and how enlivens its host. I was also struck by the number of low rise apartment buildings in the area - a lot. I intend to continue to visit Hamilton and explore more of the areas which you have shown on your excellent tour of a remarkable city. Thanks
I don't know what the future of Stinson School is. It is closing, or might have closed for this school year. The school board's usual course of action is to demolish and subdivide the lot for housing. In fact, rezoning to residential happens automatically through a sneaky law that was passed a few years ago. So the school board was set to tear it down, but luckily enough people care about the building that it has received a heritage designation (I think it is the last Romanesque public building left in Hamilton). Demolition has been staved off for now, but its future is still uncertain because many heritage buildings in Hamilton ultimately suffer demolition by neglect.

But I agree, it would make some killer lofts.