daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 16th, 2008, 09:24 PM   #401
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10966

What can normal citizens like us do? People always seem to 'pass the buck'. We seem to care, so perhaps, we should be the ones to do something about it. Interested?

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 16th, 2008, 10:46 PM   #402
Jaborandi

Likes (Received): 125

I can't help but think that if the politicians and general population of Hamilton were to see flar's Incredible Neighbourhoods of Hamilton thread and read the responses from those outside the city, they might not only gain knowledge of their architectural heritage but also take greater pride and appreciation in it. Hamiltonian's are known for the fierce pride they take in their civic identity in the face of the unfair lunchbucket image imposed on them. Is it possible that they don't see the forest for the trees? When I grew up in Hamilton, I wasn't particularly aware of the significance of the local architecture. It wasn't until I left and then returned as a visitor that I was able to see the wealth and quality of its architecure with fresh eyes. What is amazing is the shear amount of not only Victorian structures, but also the earlier Georgian style and all of the post Victorian styles that followed. Thanks to flar, we on the forum have all been fortunate to see for ourselves the potential of this long overlooked city. Perhaps flar's photos can do for Hamiltonians what it has done for us.
Jaborandi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2008, 03:40 AM   #403
Steeltown

Likes (Received): 143

That sign is Hamilton's version of Sam the Record man sign. It's a local icon and likely to be preserved if anything was to happen.
Steeltown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2008, 04:22 PM   #404
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12272

I love the look on the old guy's face as he is tossing the fries up into the air!
Old October 17th, 2008, 09:24 PM   #405
flar
____

Likes (Received): 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
What can normal citizens like us do? People always seem to 'pass the buck'. We seem to care, so perhaps, we should be the ones to do something about it. Interested?
Although many Hamilton residents are down on the city, there are increasing numbers taking action in Hamilton. There are neighbourhood associations in many of the old neighbourhoods, independent media like raisethehammer.org, hmagazine, CATCH and others, groups like hamiltonlightrail.com, Friends of the Red Hill Valley, James North Initiative, etc. These and other groups have done a lot of work for Hamilton. As for me, I take these photos to create awareness and change perceptions about the city. The internet has enabled these photos to reach a lot people in Canada and around the world. I do this because as someone who moved to Hamilton a few years ago not knowing anything about the city other than that the steretypes about filthy industry and poverty, I was shocked at the richness of Hamilton's urban fabric and natural beauty and frustrated by the ignorance and poor attitudes held toward the city both by citizens and outsiders.
Old October 21st, 2008, 04:43 AM   #406
flar
____

McMaster University

flar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2008, 04:44 AM   #407
flar
____

Old October 21st, 2008, 04:45 AM   #408
flar
____

Old October 21st, 2008, 04:45 AM   #409
flar
____

Old October 21st, 2008, 04:46 AM   #410
flar
____

Old October 21st, 2008, 04:47 AM   #411
flar
____

Old October 21st, 2008, 04:48 AM   #412
flar
____

Old October 21st, 2008, 04:49 AM   #413
flar
____

Old October 21st, 2008, 04:49 AM   #414
flar
____

Old October 21st, 2008, 04:50 AM   #415
flar
____

Old October 21st, 2008, 04:59 AM   #416
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12272

This has to be one of the best resources of Hamilton pictures around.. some brilliant shots.
Old October 21st, 2008, 05:37 AM   #417
540_804
VA is for LOVERS!

Likes (Received): 90

Page 16= AMAZING!
540_804 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2008, 06:06 AM   #418
540_804
VA is for LOVERS!

Likes (Received): 90

Page 5 is also NICE!!!
540_804 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2008, 06:27 AM   #419
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10966

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
Although many Hamilton residents are down on the city, there are increasing numbers taking action in Hamilton. There are neighbourhood associations in many of the old neighbourhoods, independent media like raisethehammer.org, hmagazine, CATCH and others, groups like hamiltonlightrail.com, Friends of the Red Hill Valley, James North Initiative, etc. These and other groups have done a lot of work for Hamilton. As for me, I take these photos to create awareness and change perceptions about the city. The internet has enabled these photos to reach a lot people in Canada and around the world. I do this because as someone who moved to Hamilton a few years ago not knowing anything about the city other than that the steretypes about filthy industry and poverty, I was shocked at the richness of Hamilton's urban fabric and natural beauty and frustrated by the ignorance and poor attitudes held toward the city both by citizens and outsiders.
Thank you for posting that photo of Mac's new stadium. I remember poking around there when it was being built. Thank you for the information above as well. If you're not from Hamilton originally, then from where? What do you think of my proposal below? Do you think it could work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaborandi View Post
I can't help but think that if the politicians and general population of Hamilton were to see flar's Incredible Neighbourhoods of Hamilton thread and read the responses from those outside the city, they might not only gain knowledge of their architectural heritage but also take greater pride and appreciation in it. Hamiltonian's are known for the fierce pride they take in their civic identity in the face of the unfair lunchbucket image imposed on them. Is it possible that they don't see the forest for the trees? When I grew up in Hamilton, I wasn't particularly aware of the significance of the local architecture. It wasn't until I left and then returned as a visitor that I was able to see the wealth and quality of its architecure with fresh eyes. What is amazing is the shear amount of not only Victorian structures, but also the earlier Georgian style and all of the post Victorian styles that followed. Thanks to flar, we on the forum have all been fortunate to see for ourselves the potential of this long overlooked city. Perhaps flar's photos can do for Hamiltonians what it has done for us.
Sorry for the late response. I was thinking on the same lines. What if we started exchanging ideas on how best to co-ordinate an effort that may bear fruit. Flar seems to have a good handle on the local preservationist societies and groups in Hamilton, he's obviously doing a fabulous job documenting the city, maybe we could round up a few other like minded people. I bet Taller, Better would be supportive. Who knows who else might come out of the wood work.

You're quite right about the opportunity right in front of us. Media is a powerful tool that can change perceptions and move us to our end goal. Here's what I propose:

We try to find all the contacts we have with print media in the Horseshoe or beyond. Magazines like Walrus, Toronto Magazine, Area, Spacing, The Beaver, MacLeans, Now, tourism rags, etc. We find someone who's good at PR and ask them for advice. We bring on board Hamilton preservationist societies that hold some sway and seem to be on the same page. We then send out a proposal to suitable print media and explain what we want to do and why.

It may be hit and miss, but we may just get a receptive ear at some of these publications. Many might see the merit in the project, see the diamond in the rough that we do, the marketability of doing a big spread on Hamilton, and we'd be off and running.

I'm proposing a full length photo spread of Hamilton with articles pointing out the hidden gem that the city is, and what a gold mine Hamilton is, left in the right hands. We could co-ordinate it with 1 or more publications so that they all come out at the same time. We'd put out a press pack and send a free copy to every Hamilton City Councillor and every mover and shaker in that city with copies of the magazine articles, copies of flar's photo thread, and make a strong business case for preserving Hamilton's architecture.

It has to make monetary sense, or it will fall flat on its face. It has to make monetary sense to the magazines, to politicians, and to developers. If we can get enough people in Hamilton all talking about the same thing at the same time, Hamilton views on this subject might start showing signs of movement.

The message has to come from outsiders. People are usually more flattered ,take more notice, and view attitudes as more credible when they are made from outsiders. In the case, the outsiders are us, Torontonians, and beyond. etc. If Hamiltonians picked up a respected magazine and saw emblazoned on the front: HAMILTON, South Beach in the rough! The next best thing? They'd fall off their bar stool. I'm not necessarily proposing that title, but you get my point. Something thought provoking, because it's really not that big of a stretch. Hamilton just needs investment, some creative smart people, and determination to make the goal realized.

Politicians only care if the electorate care. It has to start there, and it to be stoked with information, education, a business case, and a lot of good advice. This also needs to be a coordinated effort where all parties involved are working in unison.

Well that's all I've got at this point. It would be great if something amazing like this could evolve out of a site like SSC that we all log on to mostly for enjoyment. Obviously, this is a great deal of work and needs to be fleshed out considerably, but you have to start somewhere.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; October 21st, 2008 at 06:52 AM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2008, 03:16 PM   #420
Darko85

Likes (Received): 0

I first came across this thread about a month ago and I registered just so I could say how much I agree with isaidso's idea. I've lived in Hamilton/Stoney Creek my whole life and it's nice to finally be able to show off the side of Hamilton that I know, and not just the industrial wasteland everyone sees driving past it on the Skyway Bridge. I really believe that the city is at a turning point and publicizing flar's photos would be a definite step in the right direction.
Darko85 no está en línea   Reply With Quote