daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 21st, 2008, 04:24 PM   #421
flar
____

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Thank you for posting that photo of Mac's new stadium. I remember poking around there when it was being built. Thank you for the information above as well. If you're not from Hamilton originally, then from where? What do you think of my proposal below? Do you think it could work?

Sorry for the late response. I was thinking on the same lines. What if we started exchanging ideas on how best to co-ordinate an effort that may bear fruit. Flar seems to have a good handle on the local preservationist societies and groups in Hamilton, he's obviously doing a fabulous job documenting the city, maybe we could round up a few other like minded people. I bet Taller, Better would be supportive. Who knows who else might come out of the wood work.

You're quite right about the opportunity right in front of us. Media is a powerful tool that can change perceptions and move us to our end goal. Here's what I propose:

We try to find all the contacts we have with print media in the Horseshoe or beyond. Magazines like Walrus, Toronto Magazine, Area, Spacing, The Beaver, MacLeans, Now, tourism rags, etc. We find someone who's good at PR and ask them for advice. We bring on board Hamilton preservationist societies that hold some sway and seem to be on the same page. We then send out a proposal to suitable print media and explain what we want to do and why.

It may be hit and miss, but we may just get a receptive ear at some of these publications. Many might see the merit in the project, see the diamond in the rough that we do, the marketability of doing a big spread on Hamilton, and we'd be off and running.

I'm proposing a full length photo spread of Hamilton with articles pointing out the hidden gem that the city is, and what a gold mine Hamilton is, left in the right hands. We could co-ordinate it with 1 or more publications so that they all come out at the same time. We'd put out a press pack and send a free copy to every Hamilton City Councillor and every mover and shaker in that city with copies of the magazine articles, copies of flar's photo thread, and make a strong business case for preserving Hamilton's architecture.

It has to make monetary sense, or it will fall flat on its face. It has to make monetary sense to the magazines, to politicians, and to developers. If we can get enough people in Hamilton all talking about the same thing at the same time, Hamilton views on this subject might start showing signs of movement.

The message has to come from outsiders. People are usually more flattered ,take more notice, and view attitudes as more credible when they are made from outsiders. In the case, the outsiders are us, Torontonians, and beyond. etc. If Hamiltonians picked up a respected magazine and saw emblazoned on the front: HAMILTON, South Beach in the rough! The next best thing? They'd fall off their bar stool. I'm not necessarily proposing that title, but you get my point. Something thought provoking, because it's really not that big of a stretch. Hamilton just needs investment, some creative smart people, and determination to make the goal realized.

Politicians only care if the electorate care. It has to start there, and it to be stoked with information, education, a business case, and a lot of good advice. This also needs to be a coordinated effort where all parties involved are working in unison.

Well that's all I've got at this point. It would be great if something amazing like this could evolve out of a site like SSC that we all log on to mostly for enjoyment. Obviously, this is a great deal of work and needs to be fleshed out considerably, but you have to start somewhere.

This is a good idea, Hamilton really does need some good PR and to increase its exposure. Basically the city doesn't even have a provincial profile, let alone a national or international one. Hamilton's perception problem is well known, if the public knows anything about the city, it is believed to be a rundown polluted industrial wasteland full of poor people. As I said, that's why I take these photos, to change perception, so I certainly would be willing to collaborate with someone to publish the photos. I wouldn't even know where to begin, I have no contacts in the media.

Interestingly, there have been a few media reports on Hamilton in the Toronto media, for example this:
http://www.torontolife.com/features/...own-revisited/
I know there have been a few others, there was one in the Globe and Mail comparing Westdale with the Annex a while back. A feature article with photos would be better obviously. My brother who lives in Ottawa told me he saw a Tourism Hamilton TV commercial last week, but he also said it was cheesy beyond belief.

Sponsored Links
Old October 21st, 2008, 05:06 PM   #422
flar
____

Oh yeah, I am originally from Wallaceburg, Ontario.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 08:50 PM   #423
flar
____

Time for another thread index
(links to each tour so far)

Durand

Gibson/Landsdale

Locke South and Kirkendall

Dundas

Westdale

Photo Essay: Twilight of the Industrial Age

Corktown

Stinson

Whitehern

Jamesville

Photo Essay: Heavy Industry

Hess Village

Ancaster

The North End

The Bayfront

The Delta

Dundurn Castle

Strathcona

The Beach

St. Clair

Photo Essay: The Lost Stone Town of Hamilton

Amisfield Castle

Concession Street

Barton Street

Photo Essay: Retro

McMaster University

flar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2008, 09:33 PM   #424
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4271

Now you need to give us (meaning me) a map of where most of these places are.
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2008, 10:41 PM   #425
thecarlost
Me auto-Bahn

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better View Post
This has to be one of the best resources of Hamilton pictures around.. some brilliant shots.
Word.

Went through a nostalgic moment looking at those McMaster photos. How about taking the time to think for a tour around that neighbourhood south side Main St., those houses along rail line, can not recall names at this time, except for Bowman St.

Perhaps summer surroundings are better, but autumn shall give it a twist.

Flar........,thanks!
thecarlost no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2008, 05:11 AM   #426
flar
____

Maybe I'll get around to other parts of West Hamilton sometime, we'll see.

Someday I'll make a detailed map showing all the neighbourhoods. I haven't found a map that I like showing all the neighbourhoods in Hamilton and suburban areas, so I'm going to make one when I have time.
Old October 24th, 2008, 06:34 AM   #427
flar
____

Autumn in Hamilton's western suburbs

In the next sets of photos I'll show a little fall scenery along with some of Hamilton's western suburbs. The Niagara Escarpment runs through this area around the tip of Lake Ontario. I've shown its approximate route with the red line. Most of the Escarpment is a steep cliff, but in some areas (shaded pink) it spreads out into rolling hills. Waterdown (shaded green on the map above) is an old village along Hwy 5 (Dundas St.) on the escarpment above Aldershot. Waterdown has a lot of Gothic Revival homes and quite a few of them (as well as some downtown buildings) are made of stone. The majority of Waterdown is typical suburbia, it is one of the fastest growing areas in Hamilton. Greensville (shaded blue or purple? I should have shaded it green ) is just above Dundas on the Escarpment. Greensville also has a lot of stone and many newer homes. I focus on the old historic parts of Greensville and Waterdown. We've already seen Ancaster (shaded red) and Dundas (shaded orange) but I thought I'd have an in-depth look at the nice stock of stone architecture found in both towns.

Last edited by flar; October 24th, 2008 at 07:49 AM.
Old October 24th, 2008, 06:37 AM   #428
flar
____

W A T E R D O W N

Grindstone Creek flows through Waterdown

I looked all over for a good view of the Hamilton or Burlington skylines, but all the good views were on private property. Here is
a nice view of Hamilton's steel industry

Smokey Hollow

Ontario Gothic

One more blast of fall colour

Another reminder that we are in suburbia. Waterdown is growing fast with over 6500 new homes and a large big box power
centre under construction.

A look through my windshield down Highway 6 towards Hamilton. The road is being converted to a freeway.

Old October 24th, 2008, 06:38 AM   #429
flar
____

G R E E N S V I L L E

Looking back to Hamilton from Dundas Peak

Looking down on Dundas (I live down there). I don't know the guy in the photo, he was just there

Now onto Greensville, a village on the mountain above Dundas. Greensville has a mixture of old and modern housing, including
many old stone houses

Looking into the Dundas Valley.

There are many large estates in Greensville. I think the guy who lives here is a billionaire (I'm not kidding)

Unfortunately the wealthy often live on private roads so I can't always photograph their mansions. You'll have to trust me, there
are some spectacular homes up here.

Webster's Falls, one of over 80 waterfalls within Hamilton's city limits.

The ruins of the Darnley Grist Mill at Crooks Hollow, built in 1811

Fall colours on the Niagara Escarpment. The Niagara Escarpment is a World Biosphere Reserve and this particular part of it
is protected by the Hamilton Conservation Authority. There are many conservation areas plus the Royal Botanical Gardens
protecting this area's natural beauty.

The Spencer Gorge

Tew's Falls, a little dry because it hasn't rained much lately. This waterfall
created the gorge above.

King Street winds up the mountain from Dundas with the Skyway bridge, Hamilton Harbour and Lake Ontario in the background

King Street and the railroad as seen from Dundas Peak, if you travel on VIA
rail between Windsor and Toronto via Aldershot you take these tracks

A little reminder that we are in suburbia
Old October 24th, 2008, 06:53 AM   #430
flar
____

D U N D A S

Dundas Town Hall, built 1849

Foxbar, a beautiful home built in 1845

Looking out over the Dundas Valley

The Escarpment behind Dundas

An old factory on Hatt St, still used to build furniture. A railroad track used to run down this street.

The Dundas "skyline"

Perhaps the oldest building standing in Dundas, built 1804.

_

Looking out over Dundas, you can see Dundas' well hidden industrial park

_

_

Old October 24th, 2008, 07:01 AM   #431
flar
____

A N C A S T E R

_

Tiffany Falls

Ancaster Town Hall

Woodend, built 1862

_

_

The Hermitage, c. 1850s, destroyed by fire 1934.

Sherman Falls
_

The Ancaster Old Mill

_

_

Old October 24th, 2008, 07:33 AM   #432
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12280

Some spectacular Autumn colour shots there, Flar... and those stone houses are amazing. It is surprising how many of them are in Hamilton, and how few were built in Toronto (with brick being the dominant building material).
Some of my forebears are buried in Dundas, from about 150 years ago!
Old October 24th, 2008, 07:43 AM   #433
flar
____

I think every one of these was built with local limestone or sandstone. A lot of the older buildings were probably built with stone available right on the property. There was also a quarry right in Dundas and there are still several operating in Flamborough, including a big quarry owned by Lafarge in Greensville. There is still lots of brick (Dundas is mostly brick), but with that much stone around, people have put it to good use.
Old October 24th, 2008, 08:23 AM   #434
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12280

Stone houses are so very beautiful.. I wish we had more in Toronto. And I love that the stone
was hewn into regular blocks; I am much less fond of the houses built from field stones of all sorts of shapes and sizes. That looks nice in a fence, or a barn to my eye, but is not finished enough looking for a house.
Old October 24th, 2008, 04:00 PM   #435
flar
____

There is a big variation in the quality of stone houses. On some of the finer homes built by wealthy people the stones are cut perfectly into uniform blocks that fit together perfectly and have a smooth face. Others attempt that but are more roughly cut, while still others have blocks of irregular size. Many of the oldest ones have no smoothing and little cutting.

Many of the buildings below the escarpment (Dundas and Hamilton) are built with sandstone while the ones above are built with limestone. I believe there are many more stone houses in Dundas that are covered with parging or stucco because the sandstone eroded.

These tours were interesting for me because Hamilton is not well known as a stone city (compared to Guelph, Fergus, Galt, St. Marys and others). In those towns and cities, the majority of the older buildings are stone and they look more uniform. In the Hamilton area, stone is overshadowed by brick. But if you dig below the surface, there is a huge collection of stone architecture in Hamilton. There are even stone houses scattered among 20th century homes on Hamilton Mountain and throughout West Hamilton.
Old October 24th, 2008, 04:04 PM   #436
flar
____

A few from Hamilton Mountain that I have photographed:

I think this is Harry Stinson's house, but it could be his neighbour (he lives on this private road)
Old October 24th, 2008, 04:27 PM   #437
Canadian Chocho

Likes (Received): 28

Spectacular!

1 2 3
Canadian Chocho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 01:09 PM   #438
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10977

That really is a great shot of Hamilton. It showcases how lush this area really is.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 09:07 PM   #439
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244620

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post

Nice houses
christos-greece está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2008, 06:48 AM   #440
flar
____

City council voted to remove the marble on city hall and replace it with cheap preformed concrete slabs. Again they have shown total incompetence and have made a decision that will have long term consequence to save a measly $5 million dollars. That money needs to be used to fill potholes. (I'm not joking, that was their reasoning).

Council voted for concrete over the objections of city planning staff and the municipal heritage committee. Council had to vote itself an exemption to replace the marble because the marble is listed as one of the building's key features under its designation under the Ontario Heritage Act. The building is (soon to be was) regarded as one of the country's best international style buildings.