daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 18th, 2008, 05:12 AM   #541
flar
____

Likes (Received): 57

DIRTY BRICK
flar no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 18th, 2008, 05:13 AM   #542
flar
____

_
Old December 18th, 2008, 05:14 AM   #543
flar
____

Old December 18th, 2008, 05:14 AM   #544
flar
____

Old December 18th, 2008, 05:15 AM   #545
flar
____

Old December 18th, 2008, 05:16 AM   #546
flar
____

Old December 18th, 2008, 05:16 AM   #547
flar
____

Old December 18th, 2008, 05:17 AM   #548
flar
____

Old December 18th, 2008, 06:46 PM   #549
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4271

Ah, the Kit Kat store. I remember commenting on how many of those Kit Kat stores that I see around the Niagara Region, and it started a discussion on Ontario convenience store culture. What's your take on Ontario convenience stores?

That Filipino cultural center needs some help. I noticed it because my family is involved in the Filipino society down here (even though my family's ancestry is half-German and half-Irish; my old piano teacher was Filipino and she got us involved in it). The Filipino community is pretty big down here, albeit they all live in the suburbs and they just use people's houses or a Catholic church for a cultural center.

I mentioned several pages ago that this thread has inspired me to make a similar one on Delaware. Like Hamilton, we have lots of places to show off. I really like the format that you chose, with a new place to start each page. Could I use that format if I end up doing the thread? I like some of your filler ideas as well, like showing Dundurn Castle in between places. I would probably do something like that, or show general themes, as filler.
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2008, 06:54 PM   #550
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244651

Interesting shots as always
christos-greece está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2008, 05:10 AM   #551
flar
____

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Ah, the Kit Kat store. I remember commenting on how many of those Kit Kat stores that I see around the Niagara Region, and it started a discussion on Ontario convenience store culture. What's your take on Ontario convenience stores?

That Filipino cultural center needs some help. I noticed it because my family is involved in the Filipino society down here (even though my family's ancestry is half-German and half-Irish; my old piano teacher was Filipino and she got us involved in it). The Filipino community is pretty big down here, albeit they all live in the suburbs and they just use people's houses or a Catholic church for a cultural center.

I mentioned several pages ago that this thread has inspired me to make a similar one on Delaware. Like Hamilton, we have lots of places to show off. I really like the format that you chose, with a new place to start each page. Could I use that format if I end up doing the thread? I like some of your filler ideas as well, like showing Dundurn Castle in between places. I would probably do something like that, or show general themes, as filler.
Old convenience stores (variety stores, as we call them) all used to have advertising on the signs. My grandparents owned a variety store in Wallaceburg for a few years (I don't know why, my grandpa worked at the glass factory at the same time). They lived behind it and rented out the second storey. I think it had a Pepsi sign rather than a Kit-Kat sign. My brother and I used to get a lot of baseball and hockey cards and occasionally we went to the big distribution centre where store owners go to look at merchandise they'd like to put in the store. After a few years, they sold the store and moved back to a regular house just down the street. The couple they sold it to won the lottery soon after, but kept running the store. I believe the store is still open today. Interestingly, the woman they sold it to had played baseball in the professional women's league featured in A League of Their Own.

As for the thread format, of course you're welcome to use it.
Old December 19th, 2008, 05:34 AM   #552
flar
____

Something else interesting, the gritty streets featured above are one of the things that make Hamilton popular for movies. I recently saw Real Time (starring Jay Baruchel and Randy Quaid) which shows a lot of Hamilton in the movie. Although a lot of movies and television are filmed in Hamilton, Real Time is notable because it is actually set in Hamilton. It's a decent movie, don't read up on it before you watch it (you don't want to spoil it!)

Four Brothers is another film that shows a lot of gritty Hamilton scenes (Hamilton playing the role of Detroit)

Mark Wahlberg was back in Hamilton a few months ago for the filming of Max Payne.

On the Dundas page of this thread, I showed some filming in Dundas: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...9&postcount=66
Robin Williams seems to like Dundas, as several of his recent movies have shot scenes there, particularly at an old 50s style diner downtown that has been closed for years and is exactly as it was when it closed.

John Travolta was photographed kissing a man at the Hamilton Airport while he was here filming Hairspray.

Here are some shots I took of the Incredible Hulk set last year:

Old December 19th, 2008, 08:01 AM   #553
Jaborandi

Likes (Received): 125

[QUOTE=flar;29596200]Robin Williams seems to like Dundas, as several of his recent movies have shot scenes there, particularly at an old 50s style diner downtown that has been closed for years and is exactly as it was when it closed.
QUOTE]

You gotta be talking about The Deluxe - what great signage!
Jaborandi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2008, 05:18 PM   #554
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4271

Grat movie set pictures. I was just going to ask if those New York-style buildings were real, and then I saw the last picture.
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2008, 06:58 AM   #555
flar
____

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaborandi View Post
You gotta be talking about The Deluxe - what great signage!
It's still for lease. I've always wondered why nobody lets it, there aren't many empty stores in Dundas. I guess they'd have to serve Chinese food, or do a lot of explaining.

The old signs are made just perfectly for people to see them while walking down the street.
This Herb Bowes Dry Cleaning sign is just down the street, I've always liked it too:
Old December 20th, 2008, 05:28 PM   #556
Jaborandi

Likes (Received): 125

I seem to recall that during the early 60's, the Town of Dundas passed a by-law banning gaudy and intrusive signage in order to preserve the quaintness factor. I've never noticed the Herb Bowes sign before. It's great. I will look out for it the next time I have my monthly lunch with my Dad at the Winchester Arms.

Last edited by Jaborandi; December 20th, 2008 at 08:51 PM.
Jaborandi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2008, 07:32 PM   #557
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244651

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post

Mark Wahlberg was back in Hamilton a few months ago for the filming of Max Payne.
Great movie
christos-greece está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2008, 05:58 AM   #558
flar
____

A few people filmed the filming of the Incredible Hulk. I'm guessing this youtube video was filmed from Landmark Place (I'd like to get up there someday for some pictures).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syP8RlZCdwU
Old December 23rd, 2008, 06:34 PM   #559
Arkhángel
mørke dage, lyse nætter

Likes (Received): 3897

Never told you before? I love this thread!

Espacio verde público por habitante (en m2)
Berlín: 58 -- Nueva York: 23 -- Viena: 20 -- Seúl: 15 -- Madrid: 14 -- París: 12 -- Mínimo habitable: 10 -- Buenos Aires: 3

Idiotas que no podemos construir a 15 km por año
Arkhángel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2008, 06:50 PM   #560
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12282

I loved that filming sequence from the Incredible Hulk! I was downtown here in Toronto and took some cool photos when they closed Yonge Street for a couple of blocks around Dundas Street. They could make a bus explode into flames on and off at the flick of a switch!! Was fun to watch them film it.