daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 12th, 2008, 08:30 AM   #41
canucker16

Likes (Received): 3

hamilton looks like it's got some good density. impressive panos!! that's cool that you can see a major skyline across your shores.

looking forward to the next neighbourhood!

Sponsored Links
Old March 12th, 2008, 09:03 AM   #42
Nicco

Quote:
Originally Posted by philadweller View Post
"Whoah! I didnt know Canada would be like that! Surprising...

Surely there is some interesting architecture...but it needs some TLC lol

Would look nice if it was gentrified!"

I think its more interesting the way that it is now personally.
It does look interesting...But I never thought Canada would have such ''dangerous'' looking suburbs!

Nicco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2008, 09:38 AM   #43
MonsieurAquilone
to fly

Likes (Received): 15

Suburban Canada has been known for such "dangerous" residential areas, similar to American cities. That aside, it looks quite nice.
Old March 12th, 2008, 10:15 AM   #44
BrizzyChris

Likes (Received): 1179

That neighbourhood of Durand has some absolutely beautiful homes. Very impressive to see.
BrizzyChris no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2008, 03:57 PM   #45
Steeltown

Likes (Received): 143

Suburbs? lol okay.

If you look at the pictures those are really old houses, late 1800s. Hamilton grew on it's own merit. In fact Hamilton has it's own suburbs like Ancaster, Dundas and Stoney Creek. Hamilton has two major steel companies, Stelco and Dofasco. That's why Hamilton has some gritty neighbourhoods.
Steeltown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2008, 04:32 PM   #46
flar
____

Likes (Received): 57

That last neighbourhood was in the inner city, actually the first one (Durand) and the next one are also in the inner city not far from Downtown. It's also not dangerous, there is always some crime but not like in the US.

PS: Thanks for looking

Last edited by flar; March 12th, 2008 at 04:59 PM.
flar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2008, 04:50 PM   #47
flar
____

Locke Street South and the Kirkendall Neighbourhood

Located in southwest Hamilton, there are many beautiful homes in Kirkendall and a vibrant shopping district on Locke St. South. The tour starts on Locke Street and then moves onto Kirkendall's residential streets. This area is an example of gentrification in Hamilton. Not long ago Locke Street South was rundown and frequented by bikers.

flar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2008, 05:18 PM   #48
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4271

Nice pictures. This seems like an interesting neighborhood.

I like that many of the pictures are from the morning hours. The sunlight works well in these pictures. Also, I like those houses that you showed after transitioning from the commercial buildings on Locke Street. Those bigger houses look like the ones that I see in small-town Ontario.
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2008, 11:48 AM   #49
canucker16

the houses are so gorgeous, again!

i like locke st. the whole area looks like small town charm but in the city. is it more of the liberal/artsy part of town?

everything is so new out here though that i might take everything as "small town charm" just because of the character and architecture.

so jealous of your brick! here we have stucco, ugh!
Old March 14th, 2008, 07:16 PM   #50
Steeltown

Likes (Received): 143

Locke Street is a pretty liberal neighbourhood, there's a lot of gay couples that live in the area (easy to tell when every so often there's a rainbow flag out front of the house).

Starbucks is opening real soon on Locke Street, probably within a few days.
Steeltown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 04:38 AM   #51
Coral Builder

Likes (Received): 0

My office is on Frid Street, I eat at the Irish Deli on Dundurn. It's a nice place to have lunch, but west of Dundurn, its pretty run down.
Coral Builder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 04:53 AM   #52
Canadian Chocho

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsieurAquilone View Post
Suburban Canada has been known for such "dangerous" residential areas, similar to American cities. That aside, it looks quite nice.
Simply not true...

1 2 3
Canadian Chocho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 08:42 PM   #53
flar
____

@canucker16: Locke St. is indeed like a village in the city, well known for its antique shops too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral Builder View Post
My office is on Frid Street, I eat at the Irish Deli on Dundurn. It's a nice place to have lunch, but west of Dundurn, its pretty run down.
You work at the Spectator Building?

The industrial area on the west side of the 403 is now being developed into the McMaster Innovation Park. They tore down some old factory buildings and are cleaning up the site. The CANMET lab moving here from Ottawa should be starting construction soon. I think there are plans for some of the industrial areas on the east side of the 403 too.
Old March 18th, 2008, 06:52 AM   #54
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10977

Hamilton has such a crappy reputation in Canada, but I love 'the Hammer'. It's dubbed 'the Steel City', the rust belt, and all that, so when I visited for the first time, I was expecting a depressing dump.

Personally, it was love at first site. Hamilton has a gritty, non-pretentious blue collar quality. Large swaths of it are run down, and poor, but I've never felt safer and so intrigued. The leafy residential neighbourhoods of the establishment were an eye opener too. I wasn't expecting such an obvious evidence of wealth. There was once a lot of money here and you can tell.

Hamilton is a diamond in the rough and is on it's way back up. I felt like I was in Brooklyn or Brixton when I was there. It's got a really cool vibe and it's residence are very very urban. Some of the realities are so cliche it's fascinating: steel mill, wrong side of the tracks, doughnut shop, VP living in a mansion over looking the town, etc.

It may not be chic and sexy like Montreal, big and powerful like Toronto, or laid back and gorgeous like Vancouver, but Hamilton has an addictive feel that I've never experienced anywhere else in Canada.

Flar: Any McMaster University football game pics from Ivor Wynne Stadium? Those cheerleaders are priceless. They are right out of a Hollywood movie. Any pics of Dofasco or Stelco? They're all great Hamilton images.

Last edited by isaidso; March 18th, 2008 at 09:40 AM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2008, 09:54 PM   #55
flar
____

I don't have any sports pictures unfortunately. Someday.

I do have some shots of Dofasco and Stelco, I'll have an industrial tour on here eventually. here are some teasers though:

Ivor Wynne Stadium with Dofasco in the background

Stelco at night:

Rolls of steel:
Old March 19th, 2008, 11:36 PM   #56
rousseau
Es mejor en el campo

Likes (Received): 2

Note to Canadians: in Australia "suburb" is a formal postal division for a neighbourhood outside of the CBD. The North End in Hamilton would be a suburb in Australia, and you would write a letter a friend at 400 Bay Street North, North End, Ontario.

Note to Australians: in North America "suburb" is a more more figurative term for newer neighbourhoods on the edges of a metropolitan area. The neighbourhoods pictured here in Hamilton would not be labeled "suburban" by North Americans.

Isaidso: that's quite a tribute to Hamilton you've written there, and as a former Hamiltonian I found it inspiring. I wish I could feel the same way. I really do.
Old March 20th, 2008, 05:35 AM   #57
isaidso
the new republic

Too many people associate having lots of nice glass condo towers and gentrification with a city being desirable. You can always build a nice tower and fix up a neighbourhood, but what you can't replicate is a culture and a strong sense of self. Hamilton has these things in spades.

There are so many amazing buildings in Hamilton and a great sense of urbanity. All Hamilton needs is a paint job, and some sprucing up. Many of Hamilton's neighbourhoods have terrific bones. The photos above prove it. If you had told a Torontonian 50 years ago that Cabbagetown would be one of the most desirable places in the city, they would have thought you were crazy. Hamilton will go through the same transformation. The difference here, is that Hamilton has a far better built form than Cabbagetown ever did. Hamilton looks good, and will one day be dynamite.

Hamilton suffers an inferiority complex because of the bigger, glitzier, city down the QEW. People need to get over that and recognize the many assets of this city. The Niagara Escarpement, ideal location between Buffalo and Toronto, Hamilton Mountain, McMaster University, the history, and the setting.

I'd live in Hamilton over a soul less place like Mississauga any day. This is a city with a very very bright future.

Flar: those steel mill pics are great. Now that's a sight you don't see every day.

Last edited by isaidso; March 20th, 2008 at 05:41 AM.
Old March 21st, 2008, 09:49 PM   #58
Coral Builder

Likes (Received): 0

Isiado, I don't often agree with your posts, but the last one makes sense to me, it is true that Hamilton has great "bones" as you said it. More so around down town and near McMaster, and less so on the mountain. It really just needs a little facelift, and maybe a bit of an attitude re-adjustment, as you say, the inferiority complex really ends up costing Hamiltonians in the end. Everyone with talent or intellect ends up leaving...
Coral Builder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2008, 02:41 AM   #59
isaidso
the new republic

There are many contrary views expressed on here, but it's nice to find common ground with people you might not normally.

It frustrates me when I hear people slagging Hamilton over and over again. The sad part, is that many Hamiltonians have bought in to that. I don't see this image being perpetuated too much longer though. There are strong signs all around that people are rediscovering this city, re-locating there, and investing time and money in Hamilton. What is starting out as a trickle could very quickly become a flood of inward migration and investment.

It wouldn't surprise me to see the CMA of Hamilton leapfrog past Quebec City and Winnipeg over the next 20 years to become the 7th city to pass the 1,000,000 mark.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 03:59 PM   #60
flar
____

Hamilton's CMA passed Winnipeg in 2005, but it'll be a long time before it reaches a million. The current population estimate is 720,000. Still, Hamilton probably has the best chance to become Canada's next city of a million.