daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old May 24th, 2009, 07:12 AM   #721
flar
____
 
flar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ottawa-Gatineau
Posts: 1,073
Likes (Received): 57

Kenilworth Ave.
and
East Hamilton


I never really knew East Hamilton, these are the few photos I took
in that part of the city over the years, mostly on Kenilworth Ave.
flar no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 24th, 2009, 07:13 AM   #722
flar
____
 
flar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ottawa-Gatineau
Posts: 1,073
Likes (Received): 57

Kenilworth Ave. is the main thoroughfare from the East Mountain to the steel mills and port area.










flar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2009, 07:13 AM   #723
flar
____
 
flar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ottawa-Gatineau
Posts: 1,073
Likes (Received): 57













flar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2009, 07:14 AM   #724
flar
____
 
flar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ottawa-Gatineau
Posts: 1,073
Likes (Received): 57





Kenilworth Library






flar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2009, 07:15 AM   #725
flar
____
 
flar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ottawa-Gatineau
Posts: 1,073
Likes (Received): 57









hand?
flar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2009, 07:16 AM   #726
flar
____
 
flar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ottawa-Gatineau
Posts: 1,073
Likes (Received): 57





Barton and Kenilworth






flar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2009, 07:17 AM   #727
flar
____
 
flar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ottawa-Gatineau
Posts: 1,073
Likes (Received): 57

Cannon








flar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2009, 07:17 AM   #728
flar
____
 
flar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ottawa-Gatineau
Posts: 1,073
Likes (Received): 57

Sherman Ave North




flar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2009, 07:18 AM   #729
flar
____
 
flar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ottawa-Gatineau
Posts: 1,073
Likes (Received): 57

Beach Road, not anywhere near the beach, but led there in the old days.
Beach Road still has a bus route and runs through a small neighbourhood called McAnulty tucked-in beside Dofasco.












flar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2009, 07:18 AM   #730
flar
____
 
flar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ottawa-Gatineau
Posts: 1,073
Likes (Received): 57

Parkdale, another commercial street running north-south like Kenilworth, but younger.








flar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2009, 07:19 AM   #731
flar
____
 
flar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ottawa-Gatineau
Posts: 1,073
Likes (Received): 57

Melvin Ave.


flar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2009, 07:20 AM   #732
flar
____
 
flar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ottawa-Gatineau
Posts: 1,073
Likes (Received): 57

Queenston
The Derby is probably demolished by now, to be replaced with a shiny new Drug Store.
With beer priced out of the competition, pharmacies are free to take over.


flar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2009, 07:20 AM   #733
flar
____
 
flar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ottawa-Gatineau
Posts: 1,073
Likes (Received): 57

Main and Kenilworth


_
flar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2009, 07:21 AM   #734
flar
____
 
flar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ottawa-Gatineau
Posts: 1,073
Likes (Received): 57

Kenilworth heads toward the escarpment.
flar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 09:40 AM   #735
bayviews
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,535
Likes (Received): 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
Old houses built really close together, rowhomes and semi-detached dominate a large area of lower Hamilton, most of it is brick.
That's very impressive, lower Hamlton's largely brick housing. Its interesting, Hamilton's located between Toronto & Buffalo, but the housing stock is much more like Toronto's.

Sadly, Buffalo's housing stock is overwhelmigly old wood frame detached housing, very worn out.

By contrast, Hamilton's sturdy brick housing really looks built to last. Looks like a city with a bright future.
bayviews no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2009, 06:08 AM   #736
flar
____
 
flar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ottawa-Gatineau
Posts: 1,073
Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayviews View Post
That's very impressive, lower Hamlton's largely brick housing. Its interesting, Hamilton's located between Toronto & Buffalo, but the housing stock is much more like Toronto's.

Sadly, Buffalo's housing stock is overwhelmigly old wood frame detached housing, very worn out.

By contrast, Hamilton's sturdy brick housing really looks built to last. Looks like a city with a bright future.
I hope Hamilton has a bright future, they've got to get the economy going.
On the other hand, the urban brick neighbourhoods are one of the city's best assets, as far as offering choice in housing (ie those looking for urban housing as opposed to new suburban development) within the larger Golden Horseshoe region. But they still have to get the economy going, Hamilton's too big and has too much infrastructure to survive on a bedroom community taxbase.
__________________
My blog | My photos
flar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2009, 10:00 AM   #737
rychlik
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 6,809
Likes (Received): 6603

Sorry but some of Hamilton's neighborhoods look f-ing ghetto. It really comes out in the pictures. I grew up on the mountain near the Linc and Upper Gage. Much better area.
rychlik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2009, 05:56 AM   #738
flar
____
 
flar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ottawa-Gatineau
Posts: 1,073
Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by rychlik View Post
Sorry but some of Hamilton's neighborhoods look f-ing ghetto. It really comes out in the pictures. I grew up on the mountain near the Linc and Upper Gage. Much better area.
It always pains me to hear this common opinion, people don't know what they're missing. My thinking is opposite: the mountain sucks. Seriously, it has nothing to offer, it could be anywhere in Ontario. The lower city has character and an urban fabric that is rare in Canada. It certainly has areas of decline and much of downtown is not that great, but I would really not characterize places like St. Clair, Durand, Kirkendall, Westdale and many other neighbourhoods as "ghetto". And I think places like Augusta St, Locke St, Westdale Village, Ottawa St, or James North make up for whatever is lacking downtown. The Bayfront is pretty nice too, you won't find any of that (or decent transit) up on the mountain, with its highways, sprawl and big box stores.
__________________
My blog | My photos
flar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2009, 06:54 AM   #739
rychlik
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 6,809
Likes (Received): 6603

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
It always pains me to hear this common opinion, people don't know what they're missing. My thinking is opposite: the mountain sucks. Seriously, it has nothing to offer, it could be anywhere in Ontario. The lower city has character and an urban fabric that is rare in Canada. It certainly has areas of decline and much of downtown is not that great, but I would really not characterize places like St. Clair, Durand, Kirkendall, Westdale and many other neighbourhoods as "ghetto". And I think places like Augusta St, Locke St, Westdale Village, Ottawa St, or James North make up for whatever is lacking downtown. The Bayfront is pretty nice too, you won't find any of that (or decent transit) up on the mountain, with its highways, sprawl and big box stores.
The North End near the factories is pure crap. You have to admit.
Not all of the lower city is bad. Westdale and University of McMaster is nice as is Stoney Creek. The beaches are nice as well.
rychlik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2009, 02:03 PM   #740
flar
____
 
flar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ottawa-Gatineau
Posts: 1,073
Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by rychlik View Post
The North End near the factories is pure crap. You have to admit.
Not all of the lower city is bad. Westdale and University of McMaster is nice as is Stoney Creek. The beaches are nice as well.
Depends what you mean by the North End. The actual North End neighbourhood near Bayfront Park is gentrifying more than any other area of Hamilton. The neighbourhoods directly near all the industry are indeed very depressing, and always will be since there is heavy industry in their backyards.

If you're in Hamilton, check out neigbhourhoods like Stinson, St. Clair, Blakely or South Stipley, you might be surprised. I know many people who don't know about these areas, they are quite nice, but exist very close to an area that people write off as "ghetto."
__________________
My blog | My photos
flar no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium