daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 4th, 2010, 04:39 PM   #861
Chadoh25

Likes (Received): 805

Nice photos!
Chadoh25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 8th, 2010, 10:01 AM   #862
groentje
New Brusseleir

Likes (Received): 3

I just ploughed through this entire thread (leaving my sleep for it and all), and I'm having an overdose. Just to tell how addictive it is.
Often, photos came back (sometimes even on the same page), but they were beautiful, so I didn't mind.
One thing, though, what do you mean with streetcar suburb?
groentje no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2011, 03:44 AM   #863
Bernie

Likes (Received): 0

I'm looking for a photo from the 50s or 60s of Central Bowling Alleys, 28 Park Street South, Hamilton, present location of the Art Gallery of Hamilton.
Bernie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2011, 06:37 AM   #864
Jaybird

Likes (Received): 600

I can't believe I never responded in this thread, but I FINALLY found the GOOD neighborhoods of Hamilton, and that will show those ignorant people who think Hamilton is a "total dump".

Durand and Westdale are absolutely incredible. Durand has to have one of the highest collection of Victorian homes in all of Canada!
Jaybird no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2011, 05:00 PM   #865
flar
____

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
I can't believe I never responded in this thread, but I FINALLY found the GOOD neighborhoods of Hamilton, and that will show those ignorant people who think Hamilton is a "total dump".

Durand and Westdale are absolutely incredible. Durand has to have one of the highest collection of Victorian homes in all of Canada!
Indeed, Durand can stand up to any neighbourhood in Canada.

You can add St. Clair, Kirkendall and Chedoke to the list of amazing pre-war inner-city neighbourhoods.
Old January 22nd, 2012, 07:19 AM   #866
wilde88

These are stuning pictures of some grand old ladies. I am moving to Hamilton from Alberta and hope to live in something similar but less expensive. Wish me luck. I am vey curious how the northend is changing. It is known to be very rough there. Does anyone know what the up and coming areas of Hamilton are?
wilde88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2012, 09:29 AM   #867
Linguine
leisure cook

Likes (Received): 3939

This is a very nice thread....wish to see updates soon please.
Old January 23rd, 2012, 05:06 PM   #868
flar
____

I live in Ottawa now, but I may post some more photos in here sometime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilde88 View Post
These are stuning pictures of some grand old ladies. I am moving to Hamilton from Alberta and hope to live in something similar but less expensive. Wish me luck. I am vey curious how the northend is changing. It is known to be very rough there. Does anyone know what the up and coming areas of Hamilton are?
The North End is one of the up-and-coming areas. Others are Stinson, Strathcona and Central.
Good luck with your move!
Old February 7th, 2012, 10:25 PM   #869
zane9

My wife and I are looking for a place in Hamilton. We want to get out of the Oakville Ontario 'burbs and back to the inner city. I stumbled upon this site and this thread, and am completely gobsmacked! I got 25 pages in and skipped ahead to see if it was still alive. Great to see that 4 years in, there is activity.

Flar, you have celebrated the architecture of Hamilton like no other. The time and energy you have devoted is amazing. Hamiltonians who care about their city should be doing cartwheels over this thread. It's dazzling.

Please publish a book.

I went to your site and saw a lovely image of my home town, Saint John N.B.

Last edited by zane9; February 7th, 2012 at 10:29 PM. Reason: update
zane9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 05:34 AM   #870
alexander2000

Likes (Received): 444

great...this city hs the potential to really grow bigger.
ir has factories in place and a growing CBD.
alexander2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2012, 08:25 PM   #871
PearlStreet
Our optimisim pays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zane9 View Post
My wife and I are looking for a place in Hamilton. We want to get out of the Oakville Ontario 'burbs and back to the inner city. I stumbled upon this site and this thread, and am completely gobsmacked! I got 25 pages in and skipped ahead to see if it was still alive. Great to see that 4 years in, there is activity.

Flar, you have celebrated the architecture of Hamilton like no other. The time and energy you have devoted is amazing. Hamiltonians who care about their city should be doing cartwheels over this thread. It's dazzling.

Please publish a book.

I went to your site and saw a lovely image of my home town, Saint John N.B.
I am from Oakville as well and moved downtown Hamilton about 4 years ago. It is so refreshing to see such renewal and to be around dramatic growth. Not to knock Oakville, but it seems to sit dormant in comparison. Much more real-world here and filled with character. Enjoy it!
PearlStreet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 01:16 AM   #872
ad_09
BANNED

10/10 Do you have any pics of this Neighborhoods in the winter or Autumn?
ad_09 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2012, 03:36 PM   #873
mjmsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeltown View Post
Suburbs? lol okay.

If you look at the pictures those are really old houses, late 1800s. Hamilton grew on it's own merit. In fact Hamilton has it's own suburbs like Ancaster, Dundas and Stoney Creek. Hamilton has two major steel companies, Stelco and Dofasco. That's why Hamilton has some gritty neighbourhoods.
Wait a second! I don't think Dundas is or ever was a suburb of Hamilton. It's just as old or even older. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dundas,_Ontario
mjmsmith no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2012, 09:19 PM   #874
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12282

Definitely Dundas was not created as a suburb of Hamilton.
Old January 14th, 2013, 09:36 PM   #875
flar
____

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmsmith View Post
Wait a second! I don't think Dundas is or ever was a suburb of Hamilton. It's just as old or even older. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dundas,_Ontario
Dundas is older than Hamilton, and has a strong sense of identity and community. A lot of the long time residents have "Dundas Forever" signs in their windows in response to the forced amalgamation back in 2001. Nevertheless, it's a suburb of Hamilton these days. As it is, the old town is surrounded by new development and the population is now around 25,000. Even downtown Dundas is intensifying, with quite a few mid-rise apartments and condos. Dundas would probably be a quaint town of 5000 people if it was not the western border of Hamilton.

Anyway, I lived in Dundas for several years and it's the best place I've ever lived. The natural beauty of the Dundas Valley is unrivaled in Ontario.