daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 19th, 2008, 11:11 PM   #81
flar
____

Likes (Received): 56

Westdale
Begun in the 1920's, the Hamilton neighbourhood of Westdale was one of the first master planned communities in Canada.
It was intended to be a self sufficient community, and remains so today, with banks, grocery store, schools, library,
theatre and shopping all located at the centre of the neighbourhood in the quaint shopping district of Westdale Village.
The unique street layout ensures a walkable, aesthetically pleasing community, and public transit service is
excellent. In keeping with urban trends of the era, home ownership was governed by covenants which ensured the
neighbourhood's character was distinctly white, Anglo-Saxon, and Protestant. Although Westdale remains
predominantly upper-middle class, today it is considerably more diversified, including a large Jewish community and
many university students. The continued vibrancy of Westdale Village and success of the residential community is
a testament to its standing as one of the best planned suburbs of its era.

The tour begins in Westdale Village and then moves on to look at some of Westdale's wonderful English inspired
tudor revival residential architecture.

The street layout:

Westdale Collegiate

Sponsored Links
Old April 19th, 2008, 11:20 PM   #82
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4269

Westdale looks like a great neighborhood. The location of the neighborhood near the Botanical Gardens must make it even nicer. Is it easy to get from the neighborhood to the gardens?

I noticed that a couple of the street signs have the neighborhood nameon them. I made a thread about that in the Ontario section, since several Ontario cities seem to do this.

The houses in Westdale look a lot like houses that can be found in Westover Hills, a neighborhood just outside of the Wilmington city limits down here. Westover Hills was developed in the late 1920s and into 1930, so the English houses must have been the style at the time.
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2008, 11:29 PM   #83
princeofseoul
digging

Likes (Received): 482

wow you take really nice pictures..
Old April 20th, 2008, 08:25 AM   #84
flar
____

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Westdale looks like a great neighborhood. The location of the neighborhood near the Botanical Gardens must make it even nicer. Is it easy to get from the neighborhood to the gardens?

I noticed that a couple of the street signs have the neighborhood nameon them. I made a thread about that in the Ontario section, since several Ontario cities seem to do this.

The houses in Westdale look a lot like houses that can be found in Westover Hills, a neighborhood just outside of the Wilmington city limits down here. Westover Hills was developed in the late 1920s and into 1930, so the English houses must have been the style at the time.

Westdale is pretty far from the RBG's main gardens, but there are a lot of trails around Cootes Paradise (it's a marshy area) so you could walk from the botanical gardens if you wanted. The area around Cootes Paradise is like a conservation area managed by the Royal Botanical Gardens. The other parks around Westdale are nice too, and all are connected by paths and trails. Oak Knoll park has an aviary and a lawn bowling club. Princess Point is really popular for hiking, biking and rollerblading, the paths connect to the Dundurn Castle and Bayfront area.

Tudor revival houses were really popular in North America for upper middle class suburbs in the 20's and 30's. Westdale is a streetcar suburb. Unlike some other streetcar suburbs in Hamilton, the commercial area is still vibrant.
Old April 20th, 2008, 09:22 AM   #85
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12279

I really need to jump on a Go Bus on one of my days off, and head over to Hamilton. Been a year or two since I was there. I don't think they will let me take my bike on Go Bus though...
Old April 20th, 2008, 05:18 PM   #86
Steeltown

Likes (Received): 143

I love Westdale.

Before My Dog Joe this used to be the Cereal House, it was my favourite place to hang out during lunch time. I love cereal.
Steeltown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 05:26 PM   #87
Steeltown

By the way if you go inside My Dog Joe, there is actually a dog named Joe inside. That's the owners dog lol. You can see the water dish by the bench by the front door.
Old April 22nd, 2008, 12:47 AM   #88
thecarlost
Me auto-Bahn

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeltown View Post
I love Westdale.
Ditto.

Among Hamilton neighborhoods this is definately the most vibrant, quiet at the same time, hard to explain i just like it. Not the same feeling for Hess Village, good pubs there, though.
thecarlost no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 03:17 PM   #89
flar
____

Quote:
I love Westdale.
Before My Dog Joe this used to be the Cereal House, it was my favourite place to hang out during lunch time. I love cereal.
I always thought about going to Cereal House, but never did. Interesting idea to serve a menu of cereal. Do you ever go to the place in Westdale that only sells cupcakes (I didn't include a photo of it, I think it's called Cupcakes)? They're really good.
flar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 06:44 PM   #90
Steeltown

No, I haven't checked out the Cupcake place, that's the latest trend. Where is the Cupcake place near? I'll definitely check it out for lunch one day, nice to walk down King during Spring.
Old April 23rd, 2008, 06:58 PM   #91
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better View Post
I really need to jump on a Go Bus on one of my days off, and head over to Hamilton. Been a year or two since I was there. I don't think they will let me take my bike on Go Bus though...
What about just walking around for a day, though? I did that up in Toronto last April. I parked at around 10, went to the CN Tower until 11:30, then wandered around to my content until about 6, when I went to the Flyers game that night. I had lunch in the St. Lawrence Market and dinner at a pizza place in the Financial District. In between, I walked up to the Maple Leaf Gardens, then over to Queen's Park, then to Dundas Square, then down Bond Street, then through the Eaton Centre (and even stopping to browse through a bookstore and buy a book), then to Nathan Phillips Square, and lastly through the Financial District. If you set aside an afternoon, you could definitely cover a lot of ground on foot.
Old April 23rd, 2008, 07:31 PM   #92
Taller, Better
Administrator

Yes, I've done that a few times in Hamilton, and really enjoyed it. I am just so hopelessly addicted to the ease and convenience of my bicycle. With my bike I could ride out to the wonderful Dundurn Castle, which is my favourite residential building in Canada!!
Old April 24th, 2008, 02:27 AM   #93
Steeltown

You can't slide your bike inside the GO bus storage space? I think Metrolinx is trying to get bike racks for GO bus in the future.
Old April 24th, 2008, 11:14 AM   #94
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10970

There really should be a GO train to Hamilton, not a bus. I was shocked when I found out there wasn't one. A city of over 700,000 60 kilometres away from Toronto, and no GO train access between the two. That is just stunning. Can you imagine what a boost to Hamilton that would be and no one seems to be insisting on it.

Last edited by isaidso; April 24th, 2008 at 11:19 AM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2008, 04:30 PM   #95
flar
____

There is actually a GO train service, it's just a very poor service. It's slow and infrequent. I see what you mean though, it only goes from Toronto to Hamilton on weekday evenings. The GO QEW Express bus service nonstop from Hamilton GO Centre to Union Station in Toronto is a much better service, quicker and and with frequencies between 10-30 minutes.
Old April 24th, 2008, 04:37 PM   #96
Taller, Better
Administrator

Quote:
You can't slide your bike inside the GO bus storage space? I think Metrolinx is trying to get bike racks for GO bus in the future.
I'll look into that.... the Coach services like Coach Canada (to Montreal) make such a big deal out of it. You have to take off the handlebars and the pedals, etc.. and put it in a cardboard box. Sheesh... easier just to rent a bike when I get to Montreal).
Old April 24th, 2008, 05:54 PM   #97
flar
____

Looks like you're out of luck if you want to bring a bike to Hamilton from Toronto for the day. Ludicrous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO Tranist website
Bicycles

When can I take a bicycle onto a GO Train or GO Bus?

You may take a bicycle on any GO Train on a Saturday, Sunday, or statutory holiday. On weekdays, due to rush-hour crowding, you may not take them on trains scheduled to arrive at Union Station between 6:30 and 9:30 a.m. or depart from Union Station between 3:30 and 6:30 p.m. Bicycles are also prohibited inside Union during those times. To see if your station has a bicycle rack, visit Stations and Stops.

Bicycles are not allowed on wheelchair-accessible train cars or on GO Buses (on the buses, a folding bicycle in a proper carrying case can be put in the underfloor luggage compartment if the bus has one).

@SteelTown: I think the cupcake place is beside Walker's Chocolates near King and Sterling.
flar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2008, 06:04 PM   #98
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better View Post
Yes, I've done that a few times in Hamilton, and really enjoyed it. I am just so hopelessly addicted to the ease and convenience of my bicycle. With my bike I could ride out to the wonderful Dundurn Castle, which is my favourite residential building in Canada!!
What's Dundurn Castle?
Old April 24th, 2008, 06:28 PM   #99
flar
____

Dundurn Castle was the home of Sir Allan MacNab, who was a lawyer, Canadian political leader and war hero. I've just never got around to photographing the neighbourhood with Dundurn Castle. I've been waiting for spring to do it, the leaves on the trees are just coming out now.

All I have is this old, subpar photo of it, the grounds around the house are nice and the building is very detailed and elegant inside and out.

Old April 24th, 2008, 08:10 PM   #100
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Reminds me of the Nemours Mansion near Wilmington.

I'd like to see the neighborhood surrounding this mansion sometime. It doesn't have to be soon or anything.