daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 7th, 2008, 04:37 PM   #141
flar
____

Likes (Received): 56

Another page, another neighbourhood.

I'll keep them coming fast, I have seventeen tours ready to go and a few more I want to do over the summer. The next neighbourhood is just east of Corktown but quite different.

Sponsored Links
Old May 7th, 2008, 04:44 PM   #142
flar
____

The Stinson Neighbourhood
Hamilton, Ontario

I've always liked this neighbourhood, it appears to be an old middle class neighbourhood. Most of the structures were built between 1865-1895. A lot of detached and semi-detached, not many rows, but a great variety. Much of it is in good shape too, with many renovations in recent years.

flar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2008, 04:50 PM   #143
flar
____

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I'm always amazed at how oblivious Hamiltonians are to the value of their buildings. If they are blind to it, there doesn't seem much hope. Two generations from now, they'll be shaking their heads in disbelief at the destruction that took place. They'll be pointing their fingers at their grandparents and wandering what they were thinking. Hamilton's built form is it's best asset. I wouldn't visit if it looked like Mississauga.

The owners of the Lister Block should be jailed and charged with vandalism if they knock that down. That's potentially some of the best retail frontage in the city. In New York, buildings like that attract the high end boutiques, not the middle of the road or the junk. Some people have no respect. I understand the importance of property rights, but their should always be limits to what owner's can do. We need to be protected from rich powerful people with no sense.
Well said, I agree completely. I hope now that "urban living" is becoming more popular and critiques of suburbia are more well known and widespread, rust belt cities like Hamilton, Detroit, Buffalo, Cleveland, etc. will come to be valued instead of ridiculed.
Old May 7th, 2008, 05:10 PM   #144
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12279

It is hard looking at some of the magnificent Victorian architecture in Hamilton just wasting away. As we sat in the little diner having our lunch, across the street they had just ripped off the curved decorative caps on the entire first floor of windows... probably done at one time to put up a plastic backlit sign. Senseless.
Old May 7th, 2008, 06:06 PM   #145
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4269

Nice pictures once again. Is this area near the Escarpment?
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2008, 08:07 PM   #146
flar
____

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Nice pictures once again. Is this area near the Escarpment?
Yes, it doesn't show up in many of the pics, but it's the green area across the bottom of the map. I should have included this picture of the Wentworth steps going up the escarpment in the neighbourhood. There used to be an incline railway here:
Old May 8th, 2008, 06:14 AM   #147
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better View Post
It is hard looking at some of the magnificent Victorian architecture in Hamilton just wasting away. As we sat in the little diner having our lunch, across the street they had just ripped off the curved decorative caps on the entire first floor of windows... probably done at one time to put up a plastic backlit sign. Senseless.
It bothered me too. I was both pleasantly surprised at the building stock and flabbergasted that they didn't recognize the gold mine they were sitting on. Many developers in Toronto have finally seen the light and fight over practically anything pre-war they can get their hands on. We don't build structures like that any more, so the supply is finite.

If Hamilton developers and leaders are too blind to these assets, with any luck, Toronto developers will see the opportunity that exists in Hamilton and snap these buildings up. Any developer with any sense would be buying them to restore and renovate, not to tear them down. Besides the aesthetic appeal, there's more money in that. If Hamiltonians won't buy them, there are tens of thousands of Torontonians that would.

Last edited by isaidso; May 8th, 2008 at 06:44 AM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2008, 06:19 PM   #148
Taller, Better
Administrator

I'm curious at the origin of the name "Stinson" neighbourhood... is that where Harry's family
came from?
Old May 9th, 2008, 05:37 AM   #149
flar
____

It's a good thing I'm photographing Hamilton extensively, because photos may be the only way to preserve it. The owners of the Lister Block just applied for a demolition permit for another building down the street. The same owners are responsible for the neglect of the building that was demolished three weeks ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better View Post
I'm curious at the origin of the name "Stinson" neighbourhood... is that where Harry's family
came from?
I doubt Harry is related, it's named after an old landowner Thomas Stinson http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Stinson
Old May 9th, 2008, 10:01 AM   #150
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10970

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
It's a good thing I'm photographing Hamilton extensively, because photos may be the only way to preserve it. The owners of the Lister Block just applied for a demolition permit for another building down the street. The same owners are responsible for the neglect of the building that was demolished three weeks ago.
Any word from heritage groups? Who are the owners? This is a nightmare.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2008, 06:36 PM   #151
Steeltown

Likes (Received): 143

The owner of the building is LIUNA. They've applied for a demolition permit and council will vote on it May 20th. It's three buildings to the right of the recently collapsed Balfor building, so another gap for King William. The building doesn't have any historical significances.
Steeltown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2008, 06:46 PM   #152
flar
____

This is the building LIUNA wants to demolish:

It's a fairly plain building, but I would say its historical significance is that it is part of a streetwall. Until the Balfour building collapsed, the streetwall was continuous for the entire block. Also note that the neighbouring buildings are well kept and have successful businesses. Tearing down this building could destabilize the other buildings, which have unquestionable historical significance. The building on the left is a beauty and the building on the right houses Reardon's Deli, which has been in busniness for 91 years. The buildings on this street that LIUNA owns seems to sit empty and rot away while the neighbouring buildings are occupied.
Old May 11th, 2008, 04:35 PM   #153
flar
____

Auchmar was built in 1852-4 as the home of Isaac Buchanan. Buchanan was a prominent businessman and Prime Ministers Sir John A. Macdonald and Sir Allan McNab were frequent visitors to Buchanan's lovely gothic estate. In 1943 the house was purchased by the Air Force and converted to a rehabilitation hospital. Later, the Hungarian Sisters used it as a residence until 1999. Recently, Auchmar was slated for demolition; however it was saved when the City of Hamilton purchased the property. The building and grounds have fallen into decline as the city can't afford the upkeep and its future is uncertain again. I was able to go inside during Doors Open Hamilton.

The grounds.

The walled garden has crumbled and the garden is overgrown and ruined.

The dovecoat
Old May 12th, 2008, 01:58 AM   #154
Steeltown

You're getting closer to where I live with Auchmar, live not too far.

With the looks of the A-Line going as LRT perhaps the city could look at transforming the Auchmar land as a main stop with bus stops. Auchmar has a long and big backyard. West 5th and Fennell will be an important intersection for the B-Line to turn onto Upper James.
Old May 12th, 2008, 02:32 AM   #155
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Nice little house. I like the many gables, which make it look almost like your Canadian, Victorian rowhouses.
Old May 12th, 2008, 07:40 AM   #156
Taller, Better
Administrator

I wish I had known I was hitting Hamilton on "Doors Open" weekend. I would MUCH rather have seen Auchmar while there was a chance, and left Dundurn til a normal weekend.
Auchmar is so English looking.

ps I'm starting to plan my Toronto "Doors Open" schedule now!! It is only two weekends away! (May 24/25).
Old May 14th, 2008, 10:58 PM   #157
flar
____

Whitehern (c. 1850) is another house from around the same era as Dundurn and Auchmar. It is open to the public as a museum. This was home to three generations of the McQuesten family. Thomas McQuesten was a prominent athlete, militiaman, lawyer, and politician.

Whitehern in summer:

The front entrance:

Some interior views:

Another view from a couple weeks ago:

Whitehern has a walled garden in the back:

Old May 15th, 2008, 04:17 AM   #158
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Another nice house.
Old May 18th, 2008, 12:38 AM   #159
Steeltown

Ha I think I went with you to Whitehern for last year's Doors Open.

http://www.whitehern.ca/index.php

Thomas McQuesten played a huge part in developing Hamilton....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_McQueston

Got funding for QEW, Skyway Bridge, Rock Gardens, got McMaster University to relocate to Hamilton, and I think he was part of Gage Park.
Old May 18th, 2008, 02:19 AM   #160
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Time for another neighborhood.