daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area > Greater Manchester Transport Projects

Greater Manchester Transport Projects Transport Matters For Greater Manchester and Surrounding Areas

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 623 votes, 5.00 average.
Old August 10th, 2005, 12:38 AM   #41
EarlyBird
BАNNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacepostman
There seems to be a great deal of prep work all along the Phase III lines to Ashton and South Manchester. I've noticed signs, and even platforms and ticket machines at Manchester Airport and in Belle Vue, it's like the route amnd the infrastructure is there but there's no line yet.
The whole of Lord Sheldon Way and Ashton Moss has been designed with Metrolink provisions in place. They've even built a lit, tree-lined boulevard leading from Lord Sheldon Way into the town centre...
EarlyBird no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 10th, 2005, 02:11 PM   #42
Metrolink

anyone else see NW Tonight last night (was on the 10:30 news) the house in Sale that used to be worth £1m, then an electric pylon was moved for phase 3 prepiatory work to the end of their garden (not on their land), the house is now worth about £400k, and the trams won't be there for years.

Oooops.
Metrolink no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2005, 04:18 PM   #43
caw123
Hit the north!

My parents were reluctant to buy a house next to a future tram line in 1996 because that line was apparently going to be ready by 2000. Bought a house somwhere else instead. What a joke!

"Manchester is located in the center of Lancashire plain in northwestern England like a big circle theatre."
caw123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2005, 04:20 PM   #44
Metrolink

Eh?

What line was ever going to be ready for 2000?

Think some over enthusiastic estate agent there.

The mid 90's were about getting the Eccles line built, which happened in time for 2000 (ish).
Old August 10th, 2005, 04:22 PM   #45
Metrolink

P.S. Bad move, having a tram line nearby tends to increase house values considerably.
Old August 10th, 2005, 04:28 PM   #46
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Likes (Received): 52

Its true I live in Sale we brought the house for £130,000 about 6/7 years ago its now worth about £550,000. You wouldnt be albe to buy a house down my road for less than £450,000.
andysimo123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2005, 04:31 PM   #47
Metrolink

I bought a house near Dane Road (relative shit end of Sale) for £60k 6 years ago, now worth over £180k - all the houses around me are now lettings, rich professionals are moving in who commute into town.

Have a look at the amount of flats / townhouses going up between Dane Road and Sale - for a small suburb it is quite amazing the number of VERY high value property going up (over £500k).
Old August 10th, 2005, 04:37 PM   #48
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

I would say the shite side of Sale is over towards Sale Moor near Jeff Jo School.
Old August 10th, 2005, 04:42 PM   #49
caw123
Hit the north!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metrolink
P.S. Bad move, having a tram line nearby tends to increase house values considerably.
Maybe it was due to start in 2000 then. The house was near a line but almost between stops, where the tram would've been at highest speed between these stops.

Anyway the house we bought isn't that much further away anyway, and has increased in value more than three-fold without the trams!

"Manchester is located in the center of Lancashire plain in northwestern England like a big circle theatre."
caw123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2005, 05:46 PM   #50
Metrolink

Very good article on http://www.lrta.org/Manchester/mlnn2005.html#28jly describing how decisions are made about whether trams are the best option.

Have a read, it shows that it is not just a case of 'I like the idea of a tram line, lets build one for civic pride' etc.
Old August 10th, 2005, 08:19 PM   #51
dgnr8
Mmm, Danone

Likes (Received): 10

My auntie works at the new Fujitsu gaff at Central Park. Up until summer last year, metrolink was "on the cards soon". When Fujitsu signed to the unit, somebody from GMPTE actually came in and sold the metrolink to them saying it'd be ready for Fujitsu moving in.

Obviously a complete lie. I know of other people who were advised to buy a house due to the "imminent arrival" of Metrolink through their areas. Bunch of arse.
dgnr8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2005, 11:25 PM   #52
Cherguevara

Likes (Received): 897

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysimo123
I would say the shite side of Sale is over towards Sale Moor near Jeff Jo School.
But when the tram goes down there (Wyth line passing between Sale Moor and Northern Moor) will this suddenly become scattered with yuppies? I'd quite like to see Sale Moor gentrified. I could lead a path of nephews, neices and other assorted younger relatives around and tell them that in my day these fine streets saw young men punched and spat at for going to other schools and they'd look at me with respect and awe.
Cherguevara no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2005, 08:02 AM   #53
Metrolink

dgnr - I work for Fujitsu to.

Not up at 'MAN37' yet though (Central Business Park).

Looking on our intranet it is apparent that Metrolink was one of the great selling points for the new location and the cancellation has caused somewhat of a problem.

Don't think saying was "on the cards soon" was exactly a lie, as before 19th July it was - as far as the PTE are concerned.

Fujitsu would have known that there was no chance of this being up and running for the move, since it looks like this line may now be built before Ashton (unlike before), it is quite likely that it will open about the same time as would have been the case anyway.

Anyone in Fujitsu believing that this would have been done for Sept this year (when the move completes I understand) had not tried to find out what was going on.
Old August 11th, 2005, 10:34 AM   #54
Metrolink

For those unsure about the timescales involved here, the following is taken from...

http://www.lrta.org/Manchester/network.html

Quote:
A revised plan, April 2005, indicates that separate contracts will be let to build each of the Oldham and Rochdale, Ashton–under–Lyne and the South Manchester and Airport lines. If the proposed timetable is accepted, work to build these lines, not necessarily in the above order, could start in early 2007 with the second line started later that year and the third towards the end of 2008. One operating company will run the whole network.
Remember, a line typically takes 2 to 3 years to build.
Old August 11th, 2005, 10:48 AM   #55
Zim Flyer
Rock Lord

Metrolink, when will we know if these projects will definately happen, ie contract orders signed etc?
Zim Flyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2005, 11:34 AM   #56
Metrolink

Zim - I'd imagine we will get detailed information about Rochdale by the end off the year - with it going to tender early 2006, with works possibly starting 2007.

If this is the case, I'd imagine that contracts would be signed autumn 2006 all things going well.

I'd imagine the other lines - Ashton running about 9 months behind this, and the airport line some 18 months after Ashton.

I honestly think that Rochdale and Ashton will go ahead with very little problems - 95% sure of Rochdale and 90% on Ashton.

Airport though requires funding issues sorted, and although I think it will happen eventually, I think it may not go to the schedule outlined above.
Old August 13th, 2005, 10:13 PM   #57
DUBAI
Under the Burj

Cant we have the tram down oxford/wilmslow road.

there are so many busses at the moment, they create traffic jams amongst themselves!
Old August 13th, 2005, 10:52 PM   #58
Jongeman
van het noorden

Oxford Rd/Wilmslow Rd is perfect for metrolink, but underground (using cut and cover).

Funding for this just would never happen though. It would if Manchester was in a different country, but the logistics of moving it elsewhere would be just too great...)
Jongeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2005, 11:02 PM   #59
DUBAI
Under the Burj

Yeah, i cant imagine what would happen if they dug the road up! perhaps elevated would be a better option.

perhaps in 2020!
Old August 13th, 2005, 11:51 PM   #60
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Give it 20 years when the centre of Manc has double the population that it has now and also has loads of skyscrapers which makes Manc look like a mini New York, you make get some sort of underground.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: