daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area > Greater Manchester Transport Projects

Greater Manchester Transport Projects Transport Matters For Greater Manchester and Surrounding Areas

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 27 votes, 5.00 average.
Old January 3rd, 2006, 02:46 PM   #101
doka..dan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Any more concrete about...One life....One globe....See it
doka..dan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 3rd, 2006, 06:21 PM   #102
roverman

Likes (Received): 2

I work in airport operations and I can confirm that the longest runway in the country is, by a fair margin, 09L/27R at Heathrow (3902 metres), followed by 09R/27L (3658 metres), then Gatwick at 3316 metres. Manchester's 06R-24L including the starter strip is 3197 metres, 06L-24R is 3048 metres. Few military runways are longer than 3000 metres, the only ones now being Brize Norton, Fairford, Boscombe Down, Mildenhall, Lakenheath - all between 3000 and 3300 metres long. There are a few ex-military runways now in private or non-aviation use which are this sort of length : Alconbury, Cambletown, Bruntingthorpe, Gaydon, Elvingdon etc.
roverman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2006, 06:21 PM   #103
Gavin
SSC Member

Likes (Received): 41

go on to google earth then zoom in on the dark patch south of birmingham. Its an airforce base. Look at the concrete squares and on one of them sits a U2 spy plane. No joke.....
Gavin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2006, 07:32 PM   #104
Sir Miles Platting

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by doka..dan
Any more concrete about...One life....One globe....See it
Doka, if you persist on telling us you 'love concrete' I can arrange for you to be fitted with a pair of 'concrete wellies', hence you will be dispatched to # 9 dock. I have some friends in low places in Salford.

Would you prefer a pair of the latest 'Portland' air-entrained stiff mix high aggregate style?

Oooh...suits you sir.....
Sir Miles Platting no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2006, 08:18 PM   #105
Jerv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin
go on to google earth then zoom in on the dark patch south of birmingham. Its an airforce base. Look at the concrete squares and on one of them sits a U2 spy plane. No joke.....
RAF fairford, north of the east end of the main runway.
Jerv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2006, 08:36 PM   #106
Jerv

Quote:
Originally Posted by doka..dan
Trust me.........Longest runway in the country........ Ever seen a U2 spy plane......Why has AMEC got all the work in IRAQ.... Construction VIRGINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I know that it is not longer than either of heathrow's main runways.

Amec hasn't got all the Iraqi contracts. Halliburton, Parsons, Bechtel, Fluor and Washington are much more active to name but a few
Jerv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2006, 08:47 PM   #107
kebabmonster

The U2 made an appearance at RAF Fairford, Gloucestershire, this year too. One of the star attractions on the ground display at RIAT (Royal International air Tattoo)
kebabmonster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2006, 08:56 PM   #108
kebabmonster

longest runway is indeed at LHR, widest however, is Doncaster (60m)
kebabmonster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2006, 10:53 PM   #109
doka..dan
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Miles Platting
Doka, if you persist on telling us you 'love concrete' I can arrange for you to be fitted with a pair of 'concrete wellies', hence you will be dispatched to # 9 dock. I have some friends in low places in Salford.

Would you prefer a pair of the latest 'Portland' air-entrained stiff mix high aggregate style?

Just make sure the air-entrainment isn't to hot.. i might take off!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old January 3rd, 2006, 10:59 PM   #110
doka..dan
BANNED

Quote:

My old man was a Salford docker..........brought up in Ordsall...Ruby street
Old January 3rd, 2006, 11:10 PM   #111
doka..dan
BANNED

Quote:

You have heard of CORONATION STREET.....But have you ever heard of the Quality Street Gang!!!!!!!!!!
Old January 3rd, 2006, 11:18 PM   #112
doka..dan
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerv
RAF fairford, north of the east end of the main runway.
xxx
Old January 3rd, 2006, 11:24 PM   #113
doka..dan
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin
Nothing wrong with Birmingham.......Where was the MPB christmas party last year!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old January 4th, 2006, 12:57 AM   #114
doka..dan
BANNED

Ever Been In in Brize Norton ,Oxford............Nice duty free!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old January 4th, 2006, 02:01 AM   #115
doka..dan
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverman
I work in airport operations and I can confirm that the longest runway in the country is, by a fair margin, 09L/27R at Heathrow (3902 metres), followed by 09R/27L (3658 metres), then Gatwick at 3316 metres. Manchester's 06R-24L including the starter strip is 3197 metres, 06L-24R is 3048 metres. Few military runways are longer than 3000 metres, the only ones now being Brize Norton, Fairford, Boscombe Down, Mildenhall, Lakenheath - all between 3000 and 3300 metres long. There are a few ex-military runways now in private or non-aviation use which are this sort of length : Alconbury, Cambletown, Bruntingthorpe, Gaydon, Elvingdon etc.
Mr RoverMAN..........Have ever worked at Longbridge,Brum or Cowley,Oxford.......... Seen the S75 & the MINI transfered ... tracks gas burned ... £200mill
Old January 4th, 2006, 05:55 AM   #116
Phenomenal Fullerton
'DON'T Daint, you prick!'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnyman
Such a shame that safety only becomes an issue when enough people have been killed. Same with pretty much everything in life.
How very, very true. What a great point Bunnyman.
Phenomenal Fullerton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2006, 11:17 AM   #117
LocksRocks
LocksRocks

Likes (Received): 1

Terminal Two Expansion

Does anyone have any renders or details on the expansion at Terminal 2?
There has been news reports about the increase to 18m capacity for some time but I've not seen any plans. Was there a masterplan when it was built, it does seem lop-sided, so extra check in and capacity could be filled in. I am interested to know whether the extra pier and gates will be built at 90 degrees to the current ones, or parallel via a tunnel, that may have been part of a masterplan.
LocksRocks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2006, 11:44 AM   #118
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Likes (Received): 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocksRocks
Does anyone have any renders or details on the expansion at Terminal 2?
There has been news reports about the increase to 18m capacity for some time but I've not seen any plans. Was there a masterplan when it was built, it does seem lop-sided, so extra check in and capacity could be filled in. I am interested to know whether the extra pier and gates will be built at 90 degrees to the current ones, or parallel via a tunnel, that may have been part of a masterplan.
Ye thats already started. It started in June 2005, this is whats going to happen......

* Terminal 2 Phase 2, the multi-million pound project that will see the capacity of Terminal 2 more than double from its current 7 million to 18 million passengers per year begins this month(June 2005)
* The airport is also investing in the airfield, with additional apron capacity around Terminal 1 and Terminal 2 to provide the equivalent of six wide-body or 12 narrow-body aircraft stands(probs for the airbus A380).
* Over 49 new check-in desks across the airport. Twenty-two in Terminal 1, 15 in ‘The Station’ and 12 in Terminal 2.

Taken from the Manchesterairport site.
andysimo123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2006, 02:45 PM   #119
dj

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kebabmonster
longest runway is indeed at LHR, widest however, is Doncaster (60m)
Manston, Kent is 61m, though in reality it is about 200m wide as the whole area between taxiways is paved so it could be used as a emergency landing field during WWII.
to quietly pass me by
dj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2006, 07:37 PM   #120
Latic

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysimo123
Ye thats already started. It started in June 2005, this is whats going to happen......

* Terminal 2 Phase 2, the multi-million pound project that will see the capacity of Terminal 2 more than double from its current 7 million to 18 million passengers per year begins this month(June 2005)
* The airport is also investing in the airfield, with additional apron capacity around Terminal 1 and Terminal 2 to provide the equivalent of six wide-body or 12 narrow-body aircraft stands(probs for the airbus A380).
* Over 49 new check-in desks across the airport. Twenty-two in Terminal 1, 15 in ‘The Station’ and 12 in Terminal 2.

Taken from the Manchesterairport site.
There are also improvments to T1 arrivals to put in more baggage caurosels , speed up baggage collection, and generally improve the arrivals area to increase capacity. These works are already underway.

Tags
airport, airports of north england

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: