daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > United Arab Emirates - دار زايـــد

United Arab Emirates - دار زايـــد The exciting new world in Dubai , Abu Dhabi and other Emirates

Old January 24th, 2012, 08:38 PM   #4041
I Know

Likes (Received): 5

Etihad's involvement with Air Berlin completed

Berlin - the airline Etihad is just since Tuesday with 29.21 percent of the voting rights of the largest individual shareholder in Air Berlin. This was announced by both companies on Tuesday. On 19 December closed participation agreement was executed after the antitrust clearances on Tuesday.

Air Berlin had received the order for 31,574,312 new shares issued based on a fixed rate of 2.31 € per share, some 73 million €. The cooperation includes a codeshare agreement, which facilitates the booking passengers, a common hub in Abu Dhabi, some common types of aircraft maintenance and alignment of the flight plans.

http://newsburger.de/beteiligung-von...gen-35991.html
I Know no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 25th, 2012, 01:10 AM   #4042
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Likes (Received): 475

I see that EK serves Malta, so I wonder what made them go after Maltese market? By looking on wikipedia, it says that Ek got about 100 000 pax a year from Malta. Any plans for the Eastern Europe? I think EK is very cautious when it comes to Eastern Europe. The airports such as BUD and WAW may have 8-9M a year, but I wonder what are the healthy yields to justify the service. Considering that Jat Airways and FZ serve DXB from BEG, I wonder if EK may suprise us? There is a pretty big expat population in Aussie/NZ from the former Yugoslavia. There is quite a few Slovenians flying with EK from Venice, so I can imagine what they could do in BEG. Than again, there are bigger airports in Europe that may be ahead of us for EK service. Lets not get too greedy, so I will take FZ for now with 60% LF. cHEERS.
YU-AMC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2012, 01:50 AM   #4043
noir-dresses
bling bling

Likes (Received): 557

Those are actually low load factors. Sixty percent on a LCC 738, and it's not even a daily. I'm sure the loads would rise in the summer season, but I'm not 100 percent sure if FlyDubai, and Emirates code share for the Belgrade-Dubai-Australian connection as of yet to justify head ache free journey.

The smallest airframe in EKs fleet is the 332 with 232 seats, some 50 seats more capacity than what FZs capacity is at the moment. Plus EKs load factors are well above 80 percent.

I think the numbers speak for them selves.

I can name you at least twenty new destinations we have been waiting for EK to fly to for the longest time now.
noir-dresses no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2012, 07:06 AM   #4044
I Know

Europe calls for probe as more A380 cracks revealed

Engineers inspecting Airbus A380 aircraft for cracks on a part inside the wings have found similar flaws on at least one aircraft, industry sources said on Tuesday.

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/europ...ed-442165.html
Old January 25th, 2012, 07:56 AM   #4045
noir-dresses
bling bling

Airframe A6-EGM will be delivered today, should arrive in Dubai this afternoon.
Old January 25th, 2012, 10:21 AM   #4046
Face81

Likes (Received): 235

Video: Emirates pilot's amazing landing

Youtube footage of an Emirates airline pilot who landed in a storm has gone viral.

The clip, was shot at Düsseldorf airport in Germany by Martin Bogdan and uploaded it the Cargospotter YouTube channel on January 5 has been viewed more than 1.7 million times.

http://www.emirates247.com/videos/vi...01-25-1.439382
The late Sheikh Rashid Bin Saeed Al Maktoum [1912 - 1990]
Face81 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2012, 11:52 AM   #4047
firoz bharmal

Likes (Received): 335

OMG.....never seen landing in such a way.....from this angle one can not see speed of Airplane and seems like landing of Helicopter......Amazing Video.....!
Old January 25th, 2012, 12:58 PM   #4048
aravinda

Likes (Received): 0

i know that video went viral, but thats a regular cross wind landing. happens thousands of times around the world! not a storm.
aravinda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2012, 02:06 PM   #4049
I Know

RAK Airport adds British executives to management team

British airport executives Mohammed Qazi and Andrew Gower have been named as the latest additions to RAK International Airport’s management team.

The announcements were unveiled last week to support a forthcoming expansion of the UAE aviation hub, which currently serves 25 charter airlines and six scheduled carriers, including the up-and-coming RAK Airways.

To support the development plans, Qazi will serve as commercial director, having previously worked as London’s flagship Heathrow, Gatwick and Stansted airports.

“I am extremely honoured to be given the opportunity to assist in the growth of RAK International Airport,” he said. “These are exciting times, as the airport prepares to unveil several major, new initiatives. Ras Al Khaimah and RAK International Airport have tremendous potential and our aim is to make RAK Airport an airport of choice for passengers, airlines and airport service providers around the world.”

Gower, who boasts an 11-year career at Liverpool’s John Lennon Airport, has been appointed as airport director.

“Ras Al Khaimah is fast becoming a destination in its own right and is gearing up for a surge in tourist numbers over the next 12 months. RAK International Airport will play a key role in supporting this growth,” said Gower. “As the gateway to Ras Al Khaimah and all it has to offer, RAK International Airport is set to grow its operations this year to ensure all passengers travelling through our airport receive a personalised , friendly service that is unique to Ras Al Khaimah. I very much look forward to contributing to the growth of the airport and the emirate.”

http://www.arabiansupplychain.com/ar...nagement-team/
Old January 25th, 2012, 02:15 PM   #4050
I Know

Seychelles Government and Etihad Airways team up in new strategic partnership in Air Seychelles Ltd

The Government of Seychelles and Etihad Airways, the national airline of the United Arab Emirates, have signed a Memorandum of Understanding wherein Etihad will invest to acquire a 40 per cent stake in Air Seychelles Ltd as part of a strategic partnership alliance initiative between Air Seychelles and Etihad Airways.

The deal was announced today by Joel Morgan, Seychelles Minister of Home Affairs, Environment, Transport and Energy and James Hogan, President and Chief Executive Officer of Etihad Airways.

Etihad Airways’ investment of USD 20 million will be matched by an equal capital injection from the Government of Seychelles. In addition, Etihad Airways will also provide a shareholder’s loan of USD 25 million to meet working capital requirements and support network development.

Mr Morgan said: “This is a game-changing strategic partnership for us, establishing Air Seychelles on a sustainable growth trajectory and offering a realistic way forward for long-term commercial growth.”

“The partnership simultaneously provides international presence, strategic penetration and a bright future for our national carrier.”

“The aviation industry is under enormous pressure right now, with small airlines especially vulnerable to global economic instability and ongoing oil price volatility. In this context, consolidation offers the best possible solution for Air Seychelles. This agreement will allow Air Seychelles to share the benefits of the visionary strategy of one of the world’s leading airlines and leverage its economies of scale and synergies.”

Mr Hogan said: “This deal is consistent with our approach to expansion, which relies on the strength of strategic partnerships across the globe. The investment in the national carrier of Seychelles is a natural next step towards growing our operations in the increasingly important leisure markets of the Indian Ocean and Africa.

http://www.incentivetravel.co.uk/air...seychelles-ltd
Old January 25th, 2012, 04:56 PM   #4051
noir-dresses
bling bling

EK has just announced flights to Barcelona, starting July 03 with 3-class B77W:

EK0185 DXB BCN 0655 1200 B77W
EK0186 BCN DXB 1640 0100+1 B77W

According to some insiders EK will introduce 3rd daily to Milan in June and a 3rd daily to Rome in September (where recently they introduced the A380 as well).
EK also announced 2nd daily to Venice by March.

EK is also adding a second daily Madrid flight from July 01. Both MAD flights to operate with B77W:

EK0141 DXB MAD 0750 1345 B77W
EK0142 MAD DXB 1525 0040+1 B77W

EK0143 DXB MAD 1425 2020 B77W
EK0144 MAD DXB 2210 0715+1 B77W

Lots of new news today, all info was taken from Flyertalk, copy, paste of course.
Old January 25th, 2012, 05:42 PM   #4052
Face81

Good update. 2 Spanish cities. How about some more Scandinavian ones?

Anyway, here's another bit of news that may create new opportunities for EK.....
Bahrain's Gulf Air to downsize, seeks state funds
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...80O03820120125
Old January 25th, 2012, 05:50 PM   #4053
noir-dresses
bling bling

Actually there's been talk of Oslo, and Stockholm Face, lets see.

Also waiting for our Americas destinations to.
Old January 25th, 2012, 06:02 PM   #4054
I Know

Air Zimbabwe woes mount as Emirates jets in

http://www.thezimbabwean.co.uk/news/...ntent=textlink
Old January 25th, 2012, 06:03 PM   #4055
I Know

Singapore, Emirates, Air France A380s to be checked: EASAP

PARIS - The Airbus A380 planes that must be inspected after cracks were discovered in their wings belong to Singapore Airlines, Emirates and Air France, the European Aviation Safety Agency said Wednesday.

"In total 20 planes must be inspected, eight (that had carried out more than 1,800 flights) by Friday at the latest, the 12 others within six weeks," EASA spokesman Dominique Fouda told AFP.

"The most urgent inspections concern six planes from Singapore Airlines and two from Emirates," he said.

Among the 12 others, one plane belongs to Air France and another is a test plane belonging to Airbus.

EASA had on Friday recommended the checks after new cracks were discovered in the superjumbos' wings. A source close to the matter had earlier told AFP that 30 of the 67 A380s in service were concerned.

The A380 is the world's biggest passenger jet and a key product in Airbus's line-up.

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/...#ixzz1kUTHf5XU
Old January 25th, 2012, 06:15 PM   #4056
Face81

Quote:
Originally Posted by noir-dresses View Post
Actually there's been talk of Oslo, and Stockholm Face, lets see.

Also waiting for our Americas destinations to.
Oslo makes sense. And as EK has had Cargo operations to Gothenburg for ages now, Stockholm/Sweden may stand a better chance? What do you think?

And yes, bring on Chicago, Washington, Boston, Atlanta and/or Miami!
Old January 25th, 2012, 06:22 PM   #4057
Face81

Also, saw this on the London Underground yesterday.... EK are on a new recruitment drive it would seem.......

Old January 25th, 2012, 06:28 PM   #4058
noir-dresses
bling bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face81 View Post
Oslo makes sense. And as EK has had Cargo operations to Gothenburg for ages now, Stockholm/Sweden may stand a better chance? What do you think?

And yes, bring on Chicago, Washington, Boston, Atlanta and/or Miami!
If I'm correct Qatar is getting some really good load factors out of Oslo, and I'm sure EK are keeping a close eye on that market.

Did you also see Qatars new lounge at Heathrow ? They are also adding a new fifth flight aswel, matching EK.

I still have a huntch EK will get Berlin, and lets not forget Berlins ILA Airshow is this year if I'm correct. If there was ever a time for that additional 30 A380 order, I think thats where it will be, especially with all it's unresolved glitches.

That new airport also looks sweat.

I'm sure Angela Dorothea Merkel will be more responsive this time around when it comes to big business, and big deals.
Old January 25th, 2012, 07:21 PM   #4059
EmiratesAirline380

Likes (Received): 133

I've been expecting that Barcelona flight for a long time now. I'm surprised it took EK this long to start flying there, since Qatar airways has been flying there for a long time now.
Also, i still don't understand why EK chose Dallas and Seattle over Chicago?? Etihad flights to Chicago are always full every time i fly with them. The manager at Etihad terminal in AD was telling me, that Chicago flights are quite full, and there are also many passengers who fly to Chicago using the codeshare flights with British Airways and American Airlines, so there is quite a lot of local demand for the flight as well.

222 Aircraft - 140+ Destinations- 373 aircraft orders + 120 options
EmiratesAirline380 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2012, 10:43 AM   #4060
Face81

Quote:
Originally Posted by noir-dresses View Post
If I'm correct Qatar is getting some really good load factors out of Oslo, and I'm sure EK are keeping a close eye on that market.

I still have a huntch EK will get Berlin, and lets not forget Berlins ILA Airshow is this year if I'm correct. If there was ever a time for that additional 30 A380 order, I think thats where it will be, especially with all it's unresolved glitches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmiratesAirline380 View Post
I've been expecting that Barcelona flight for a long time now. I'm surprised it took EK this long to start flying there, since Qatar airways has been flying there for a long time now.
Also, i still don't understand why EK chose Dallas and Seattle over Chicago?? Etihad flights to Chicago are always full every time i fly with them. The manager at Etihad terminal in AD was telling me, that Chicago flights are quite full, and there are also many passengers who fly to Chicago using the codeshare flights with British Airways and American Airlines, so there is quite a lot of local demand for the flight as well.

Berlin is a good idea, but I reckon the chances of an immediate landing slot might be slim....

Oslo and Chicago would be great new additions, although as EY already flies to Chicago, they might pick somewhere new, like Boston, Washington, or Atlanta?