daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > East Midlands Forum

East Midlands Forum For Nottingham, Derby, Lincoln, Leicester, Corby, Northampton, and Milton Keynes.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 3.86 average.
Old October 20th, 2011, 12:47 PM   #181
Lears City
Look there, look there!

Likes (Received): 57

Are you really comparing the Jamie Lewis "tower" and a row of terrace houses to Leicester Cathedral and the Guildhall?

Really?

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/leicest...n/photostream/
Lears City no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 20th, 2011, 02:10 PM   #182
WOTZDA POINT
Newfoundpool Denizen

Likes (Received): 18

Same principle !
WOTZDA POINT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2011, 03:45 PM   #183
monkeyboy1973
MonkeyBoyInternational

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOTZDA POINT View Post
Same principle !
Perhaps. Not sure what planning applications/permissions existed back then.

I would also like to think that in terms of city planning we have evolved since then. However the last 50 years to seem to start alarm bells ringing. While I am in favour of big projects in the city I can't help to think how out of proportion this seems within its humble surroundings. Let's sit back and see once its at it's final height and clad.
Old October 20th, 2011, 03:48 PM   #184
WOTZDA POINT
Newfoundpool Denizen

There are 5 Tower blocks in Highfields which are situated close to maisonette flats and terrace housing.

Tall next to short is nothing new, even in Leicester.
Old October 20th, 2011, 03:50 PM   #185
WOTZDA POINT
Newfoundpool Denizen

[QUOTE=Lears City;84883483]Are you really comparing the Jamie Lewis "tower" and a row of terrace houses to Leicester Cathedral and the Guildhall?

Really?

Too good to be a Jamie Lewis tower i believe it's another developer.
Old October 20th, 2011, 04:44 PM   #186
Lears City
Look there, look there!

Quote:
There are 5 Tower blocks in Highfields which are situated close to maisonette flats and terrace housing.

No-one thinks that was a mistake eh?

We must learn from history, but not always copy it...
Old October 20th, 2011, 04:54 PM   #187
Lears City
Look there, look there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lears City View Post
Are you really comparing the Jamie Lewis "tower" and a row of terrace houses to Leicester Cathedral and the Guildhall?

Really?
Quote:
Too good to be a Jamie Lewis tower i believe it's another developer.
My mistake - thought it was a JL, but appears to be a Megaclose development, via our northern cousins...
Old October 20th, 2011, 06:08 PM   #188
WOTZDA POINT
Newfoundpool Denizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lears City View Post
No-one thinks that was a mistake eh?

We must learn from history, but not always copy it...
Is there a problem ?
Old October 20th, 2011, 07:11 PM   #189
monkeyboy1973
MonkeyBoyInternational

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:

Tower blocks. The cornerstone of all successful architectural projects.
Old October 20th, 2011, 10:03 PM   #190
WOTZDA POINT
Newfoundpool Denizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy1973 View Post
Tower blocks. The cornerstone of all successful architectural projects.
Nothing wrong with Tower blocks (a highly succesfull building concept)
Old October 20th, 2011, 10:25 PM   #191
starkwell

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
I know it's ridicoulous isn't it ? a 22 storey building in a city of 300,000 plus

It's like building a 200 foot cathederal next to 2 storey wattle and daub medieval civic building !
It's not just the height, but the fact that it is squeezed onto a tiny plot; it just looks wrong and feels wrong.

I welcome tall buildings, but there needs to be some sort of plan in place to form clusters of tall buildings - this looks like a sore thumb, had it been in town near the other tall buildings it would have made a good contribution to a good skyline, now it is just over-dense accommodation in traditional terraced area.

even if it had been further down near to bede park it would have been less out of place.

mind you at least its not just another brick box...

My writing:
My Photo Blog:
My Oslo Photo Blog:
starkwell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2011, 11:56 AM   #192
candida

Likes (Received): 2

To be honest I think the terrace houses in the shot above are ripe for demolition. I think half of them are empty and who would want to live in them anyway? They weren't very nice even before the tower.
candida no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2011, 12:46 PM   #193
Lears City
Look there, look there!

There is nothing wrong with those terrace houses. Good solid homes that have stood the test of time for over 100 years. Like I've said before my mother in law lives nearby. Her sister lives up the road from her. Their mother lived in the area all her life. The family have lived in these houses since the 19th century.

It is the view that terrace houses are somehow ripe for demolition or unwanted that led to the sewer estates like St Matthew's, or terrible developments that ripped apart the city end of Narborough Road. Utterly awful places that replaced good solid homes.

The reason why there are empty properties in the area is due to the fact that there were many student houses, that have now become less needed with all the new student flats. A terrace house in the area can fetch around £120,000, which is a bit out of reach for a starter home in the current economic climate. Rents are on the increase too and that is pricing quite a few, that would otherwise wish to live in the "Lakes".
Old October 21st, 2011, 02:12 PM   #194
WOTZDA POINT
Newfoundpool Denizen

Lived in a terrace House for 2 years could never really relax the walls on both side were thin and it was like you were living in the next room rather than a seperate house. I have that now in a 1930's semi the adjoinong wall is a waste of space it's like the neighbours live in the next room in the same house.

Tower blocks and flats to be honest were no worse than a terrace or semi. In fact a tower block flat felt more private no pillocks turning their backgardens into fairgrounds when the sun came out.

To sum up - Most houses are crap. (even detached)
Old October 21st, 2011, 03:34 PM   #195
Captain Redeye
SSC Highrise Nutter

Likes (Received): 1

I agree with Lears 100% on this one. I much prefer living in my terrace house than any modern crap with claustrophobic rooms, plasterboard walls and ceilings so low you have to duck round light fittings.

One of the first things I did when I moved in was to build a hallway wall (solid), the neighbours at the time were unbearable with constant screaming and shouting but I could shut the door and listen to my music undisturbed. I couldn't have done that in the ex council house I grew up in as the whole length of the living areas of the house were separated by a single concrete wall. Next was a loft conversion, something you can't really do with a lot of recent builds. Put a floor in with the joists running across the span of the building and slightly above the ceiling, with all the insulation under the floor I can play my music really loud and the neighbours can't hear it! Bliss. BTW I have great neighbours now.

I for one am pleased they didn't demolish any more of them, in fact they've made a nice job of cleaning up the end wall. The values may have been affected by the tower but not as much as the ones on Walnut Street having been half-demolished and then left to rot. Or what the council have done to Humberstone Road which is now an eyesore. Pity we are never likely to see modern houses go up applying the level of craftsmanship as these were, even the basic houses had some nice details added for good measure.

BG
Old October 21st, 2011, 03:49 PM   #196
Chisit

Likes (Received): 12

So what year would the slum houses of wharf street have been built in? And why were they so much more run down compared to the likes off Tudor rd, highfields etc?
Chisit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2011, 03:52 PM   #197
WOTZDA POINT
Newfoundpool Denizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Redeye View Post
I agree with Lears 100% on this one. I much prefer living in my terrace house than any modern crap with claustrophobic rooms, plasterboard walls and ceilings so low you have to duck round light fittings.

One of the first things I did when I moved in was to build a hallway wall (solid), the neighbours at the time were unbearable with constant screaming and shouting but I could shut the door and listen to my music undisturbed. I couldn't have done that in the ex council house I grew up in as the whole length of the living areas of the house were separated by a single concrete wall. Next was a loft conversion, something you can't really do with a lot of recent builds. Put a floor in with the joists running across the span of the building and slightly above the ceiling, with all the insulation under the floor I can play my music really loud and the neighbours can't hear it! Bliss. BTW I have great neighbours now.

I for one am pleased they didn't demolish any more of them, in fact they've made a nice job of cleaning up the end wall. The values may have been affected by the tower but not as much as the ones on Walnut Street having been half-demolished and then left to rot. Or what the council have done to Humberstone Road which is now an eyesore. Pity we are never likely to see modern houses go up applying the level of craftsmanship as these were, even the basic houses had some nice details added for good measure.

BG
I'm glad i'm not you neighbour, all that loud music and DIY !
Old October 21st, 2011, 03:58 PM   #198
Captain Redeye
SSC Highrise Nutter

I don't do it very often, but if I can't hear it in the front bedroom then I'm sure I can trust the neighbour's response when I've asked her! (Yes, the loft conversion was rather noisy but didn't go on for long)

BG
Old October 21st, 2011, 04:03 PM   #199
Captain Redeye
SSC Highrise Nutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisit View Post
So what year would the slum houses of wharf street have been built in? And why were they so much more run down compared to the likes off Tudor rd, highfields etc?
Don't know, that was before my time. However I've been told that a lot of them were jerry-built, single walls etc.. Still no excuse for wholesale demolition.

BG
Old October 21st, 2011, 04:17 PM   #200
Lears City
Look there, look there!

Wharf Street was the area where the "Elephant Man" grew up. He was born at 50 Lee Street. The street is still there and close to Lee Circle. apparently there are still Victorian cobbles in situ, which he may well have walked or hobbled upon. I'm sure the place was a dump then, but the wholescale demolition of the houses in the area didn't result in anything of worth. Still a dump!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: