daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 10th, 2011, 12:28 AM   #241
Im Using A Computer
BANNED

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
2m sf typically would occupy a tower well above 300m. BofA is 950 feet, but it has an utterly gigantic trading floor. These towers are likely to house non-financial firms.
honestly, even if the two towers were around 300m, i think it would still be a dissapointing situation because in NYC, a 1200 footer sticks out much better than a ~1000 footer.
Im Using A Computer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 10th, 2011, 01:30 PM   #242
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28195

True, but in this area there are not that much tall skyscrapers yet.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2011, 04:18 PM   #243
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

It's a tribute to NY that in the midst of a recession, a new forest of 300m+ towers will be rising!

From the 10 Oct. 2011 WSJ:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203633104576621440319836976.html?mod=WSJ_NY_RealEstate_LEFTTopStories"
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2011, 07:11 PM   #244
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

If you look at the main website, the new renderings are 2 of the 935 foot version and says there will only be 2 million s ft in each tower...

So no supertalls here?
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2011, 07:16 PM   #245
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
If you look at the main website, the new renderings are 2 of the 935 foot version and says there will only be 2 million s ft in each tower...

So no supertalls here?
Once again, it's impossible to assume the height of these towers from the renderings. No one can point to one article that says these towers will be 935 feet tall.
Old October 10th, 2011, 08:14 PM   #246
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53450

TRD

Quote:
West Side arms race continues as Brookfield, Related prepare sites for construction
October 10, 2011

Rendering of Manhattan West and Brookfield CEO Ric Clark

In their efforts not to fall behind one another in the development of massive West Side sites, Related Companies and Brookfield Office Properties each plan to begin construction at its property early next year, the Wall Street Journal reported.

At Hudson Yards, at the LIRR storage area between 10th and 12th avenues and 30th and 33rd streets, Related is close to an agreement with Coach for 600,000 square feet in the first building set to rise at the sites southeast corner. But financing for the building may not be complete until the developer can ink another tenant. The Journal said CB Richard Ellis has been chose to market the space. Construction on the rest of the site, which has become a priority for the city as Bloomberg has directed a subway line extension to feed the neighborhood, couldn't begin until a $700 million deck is built above the rail yards.

Meanwhile, Brookfield has said several times that next year it will start constructing the $300 million deck above the rail tracks, along Ninth Avenue between 31st and 33rd Streets, needed before any structures rise. The firm has named the site Manhattan West. Through its other holdings, the company has relationships with many of the city's most prominent office tenants and expects to fill the buildings with those clients.

Though both firms acknowledged competition for tenants would be fierce, Related said its advantage would be the larger mixed-use projects complimenting the office buildings on its site. Brookfield, on the other hand, boasted that it owns its development site, which is also closer to existing transit.

---

Last edited by desertpunk; October 11th, 2011 at 03:47 AM.
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2011, 10:57 PM   #247
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6558

I think this thread should be merged with Hudson yards. it is essentially one project with 2 parts and 2 companies doing it. Maybe more parts in the future. but it is more convenient to have these combined instead of doubling all the posts into both of them simultaneously since they are connected.

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2011, 10:59 PM   #248
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
In other article the platform cost was about 800 million $. now it is 700... I wonder what the final price will be - original 1 billion probably

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
Old October 10th, 2011, 11:58 PM   #249
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28195

cheaper contractor or cheaper design?

Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2011, 03:41 AM   #250
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Offereins View Post
maybe both

Old October 11th, 2011, 03:50 AM   #251
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Quote:
If nothing else, prices for many basic building materials have softened. The price for Brookfield's deck comes in at $300mln and $700mln for Related's. That's $1 billion total. Of course in NYC, the arrows only go in one direction.

Old October 11th, 2011, 03:56 AM   #252
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Quote:
Brookfield's engineers allegedly have an innovative design that's cheaper to build.
Old October 11th, 2011, 05:23 AM   #253
rencharles
We will never forget

Likes (Received): 93

Nothing is confirmed yet. Even with the speculation that has been around topics, I still have esperença the highest building of this project is 370 meters.

Everything depends on how much tenants. It would be nice if Time Warner hit a contract with this building.

Well, that's all I want to believe.
rencharles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2011, 06:08 AM   #254
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFlint1985 View Post
I think this thread should be merged with Hudson yards. it is essentially one project with 2 parts and 2 companies doing it. Maybe more parts in the future. but it is more convenient to have these combined instead of doubling all the posts into both of them simultaneously since they are connected.
I think readers will want to follow these projects individually since they are being developed by different parties using different architects and designers. But a superthread for both in General Urban Developments might be appropriate.

Old October 11th, 2011, 02:50 PM   #255
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by rencharles View Post
Nothing is confirmed yet. Even with the speculation that has been around topics, I still have esperença the highest building of this project is 370 meters.

Everything depends on how much tenants. It would be nice if Time Warner hit a contract with this building.

Well, that's all I want to believe.

This is New York though... Supertall proposals NEVER go through, any building higher than 1000 feet is out of the question, I wish more people would see that, these massive proposed supertalls will all be shortened I think.

Sorry to be so negative, I'm just trying to be realistic. Let's hope I'm wrong though.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2011, 02:59 PM   #256
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1155

But it makes no sense to build a 300million $ platform over the tracks, just for the sake to build a skyscraper. And another platform for 700 million$. (Imho) They will go to the maximum they can, they have the chance here, since this area doesn't have an issue with air rights and zonings.

I have trust in this cities ambition. See what they do in LIC, they build a whole new skyline, a city within a city.

germantower está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2011, 04:17 PM   #257
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
This is New York though... Supertall proposals NEVER go through, any building higher than 1000 feet is out of the question, I wish more people would see that, these massive proposed supertalls will all be shortened I think.

Sorry to be so negative, I'm just trying to be realistic. Let's hope I'm wrong though.
That's incorrect. Developers build every square cm of air rights. The far west side has formerly industrial plots with lots of air rights.

Not to mention, 300m towers are u/c at 155W57th and 440 Park, let alone the WTC. The Drake, 15 Penn, 225 W57th and the Girasole are four more 300m+ towers that will rise, even forgetting the 300m+ towers at the Hudson Yards and Manhattan West. What other first-world city is building like this? None!
Old October 11th, 2011, 05:59 PM   #258
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

I dunno but why is 225 W57 in proposed skyscrapers if it's a supertall?
Old October 12th, 2011, 12:34 AM   #259
yankeesfan1000

Likes (Received): 560

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
I dunno but why is 225 W57 in proposed skyscrapers if it's a supertall?
Because there hasn't been anything from the developer, Extell, about it. But it has 30% more air rights than One57, and Extell spent a lot of money on those rights so they'll be built out to the fullest.
yankeesfan1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2011, 01:01 AM   #260
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3423

That's what we assume. Nothing has been confirmed so until then we leave it in the skyscrapers section.
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
1 manhattan west, 2 manhattan west, 3 manhattan west, 4 manhattan west, 5 manhattan west, brookfield manhattan west, new york, north tower, supertall