daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 20th, 2011, 02:53 AM   #361
bennyboo

Likes (Received): 71

but its classic we dont want to ruin new yorks historic buildings
bennyboo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 20th, 2011, 03:54 AM   #362
Arawooho

Likes (Received): 68

True but c'mon, we need to move on already. I for one am getting tired of seeing the same things all over the city, I'm glad there are people who want to build something new in the city instead of the same things all over again.
Arawooho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2011, 07:07 PM   #363
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

http://www.dnainfo.com/20110922/chel...-hub-will-move

Ninth Avenue Megabus Hub Will Move December 22, 2011 8:15am | By Mathew Katz, DNAinfo

Passengers wait in the walled-in corral at the Megabus stop at 33rd Street and Ninth Avenue on Sept. 22, 2011. (DNAinfo/Mathew Katz)HELL'S KITCHEN — A long-derided hub for discount carrier Megabus at 33rd Street and Ninth Avenue will be on the move by early next year in order to make way for a massive construction project, according to Department of Transportation officials.

Megabus is being forced to move in order to make way for the development of a 5.4 million square foot property that runs from Ninth to Dyer avenues between West 31st and West 33rd streets. Developer Brookfield Office Properties expects to start the project early next year.

"Megabus will have to relocate soon," said Margaret Forgione, the DOT's Manhattan Borough Commissioner at a meeting of Community Board 4's Transportation Planning Committee Wednesday night. "The community will be consulted about it."

For months, residents have complained that Megabus loading zone is noisy and messy and that passengers and snack carts often block the sidewalk.

Since the complaints began, Megabus has moved passengers off the sidewalk and into a walled-off area in a parking lot that's the future site of the Brookfield building. In theory, passengers only line up on the sidewalk when getting onto a bus, but nearby residents said not much has changed.

"It remains a zoo," said Craig Burke, 40, who lives across from the stop. "It's almost impossible to get up and down the sidewalk."

At the Community Board 4 Transportation Planning meeting, committee members drafted a letter to the DOT and Megabus telling the company to get out by Jan. 1.

“We want them out," said committee co-chair Christine Berthet. "And we want a lot of enforcement between now and then."

Megabus said the move is scheduled to take place on Jan. 1, 2011.

Locals have complained that city officials have allowed illegal snack vendors to camp outside the spot. And despite Megabus' commitment to never having more than two buses on the block at a time, there are sometimes four or five buses there at once, residents say.

"We get to hear them shout last call for every single bus," said Patrick Aitcheson, 46, who also lives across from the hub. "I can't even walk my dogs past the crowds most of the time."

Scott Jacobson, 20, a Columbia University student who was waiting for a bus on Thursday and regularly takes Megabus to visit his girlfriend in Pittsburgh, said he could see how having hundreds of passengers milling about could disrupt nearby residents.

"To be honest, I had no idea anyone lived around here," he said.

No representatives from Megabus were present at Wednesday night's meeting, or any others, according to Berthet.

"We called them 50 times," she said. "They have not showed up."

"I'm surprised that they would say that," said George Lence, a representative for the company. "We've always been at any of the meetings they requested.

Megabus is currently looking for a new location around, or possibly in, the Port Authority Bus Terminal for a potential new stop. It's unclear whether it will be able to return to its current location when construction is completed.

"Obviously, it's a bus terminal area, so that's a perfect place," said Lence. "But we're going to be very sensitive to the needs of the community boards and neighborhoods."

Committee members asked to be consulted about the move. Last month, the DOT nearly moved a BoltBus stop from Midtown to Eighth Avenue between 24th and 25th Streets, without telling most residents and business owners on the block. The department cancelled the move at the last minute after outrage from the community and local elected officials.

Aitcheson, who has been fighting against the Megabus hub for months, said he's relieved it's finally moving, but thinks it would stuck around if the upcoming construction wasn't happening.

"Everyone's just sort of ducked the issue for a long time," he said.

"Now the solution is construction. So be it, I guess."

Read more: http://www.dnainfo.com/20110922/chel...#ixzz1hHgYGd00
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2011, 02:56 AM   #364
Varghedin
Don't feed the vampire.

Likes (Received): 24

Looking forward to renders for these coming up in 2012
Varghedin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2012, 06:02 AM   #365
Arawooho

I visited the site (which is about 3 blocks from my home lol) The outline of the area is covered with advertised wallpapers and information about the new biuldings. It's pretty cool.
Old January 9th, 2012, 11:53 PM   #366
RobertWalpole
BANNED

I did not realize that Brookfield has a controlling interest in this piece of junk which has 2.5m sf of air rights and sits between Brookfield's Manhattan West and Related's Hudson Yards site.

http://www.crenews.com/index.php?opt...684&Itemid=135
Old January 10th, 2012, 01:16 AM   #367
Ajaypp
Trivandrum Lobbyist

Likes (Received): 1131

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole
I did not realize that Brookfield has a controlling interest in this piece of junk which has 2.5m sf of air rights and sits between Brookfield's Manhattan West and Related's Hudson Yards site.

http://www.crenews.com/index.php?opt...684&Itemid=135
This was acquired last year through a stake in the investment vehicle that owns the building. It makes a lot of sense since it's contiguous with the Manhattan West site. Expands BPO's total holding in this sub-market to 7 MSF, comparable to the WFC.

The existing building may be junk but is spans the yards and will be costly to replace. So I wonder if it will be redeveloped with this project or just spruced up and integrated into it?

I used this project as a case study in my thesis, which makes me especially interested in its progress.
Ajaypp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2012, 03:00 AM   #368
RobertWalpole
BANNED

The intent is to raze it once the area develops. This building has about 1.5m sf of space and there's over 1m sf of air rights.
Old January 10th, 2012, 03:41 AM   #369
Ajaypp
Trivandrum Lobbyist

Quote:
The intent is to raze it once the area develops. This building has about 1.5m sf of space and there's over 1m sf of air rights.
Interesting, since it would be very expensive to build a pure air rights project spanning the yard as opposed to towers on terra firm on either side.
Old January 10th, 2012, 04:51 AM   #370
RobertWalpole
BANNED

I'm not sure what you're referring to since this piece of junk is already on a platform, and a new one needn't be constructed.

Old January 10th, 2012, 10:03 PM   #371
isdmd10

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
I'm not sure what you're referring to since this piece of junk is already on a platform, and a new one needn't be constructed.
Hopefully, but I figure that would depend on the weight load and distribution of the replacement building.
isdmd10 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 09:30 AM   #372
Ajaypp
Trivandrum Lobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by isdmd10 View Post
Hopefully, but I figure that would depend on the weight load and distribution of the replacement building.
Exactly, the loading and the structural framework for the new building may be totally different. They could adopt a massive transfer beam in case the total loads match but it is going to very complex to have a new building on the same platform. Far simpler to upgrade the current building or building a new one altogether, including foundations and the platform. Anyways, that's far in the future.
Old January 18th, 2012, 02:48 AM   #373
Arawooho

Here are some quick pics taken while walking through the site...

Old January 18th, 2012, 08:56 AM   #374
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

It worries me that they have the two 935 footers in the rendering and no 1216 footer.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2012, 09:24 AM   #375
Eastern37
Optimist

Likes (Received): 3047

I think it may just be the perspective of the render (I hope so!)

Eastern37 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2012, 11:25 AM   #376
bennyboo

Likes (Received): 71

Theres been this debate before i believe....
bennyboo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 02:51 AM   #377
Arawooho

The one on the right seems taller than the one on the left. But there are no more renderings on the site...
Old January 19th, 2012, 07:07 AM   #378
Jay

It's the angle, they're the exact same height. The new render shows what was the 935 foot tower in the original but now just with two of them, hopefully it's just a placeholder though, I don't think anything is finalized.
Old January 19th, 2012, 01:15 PM   #379
RobertWalpole
BANNED

I spoke with a contact at Brookfield who informed me that one of the towers is expected to be taller than the ESB.
Old January 19th, 2012, 04:22 PM   #380
Jay

^Any other news?

Tags
1 manhattan west, 2 manhattan west, 3 manhattan west, 4 manhattan west, 5 manhattan west, brookfield manhattan west, new york, north tower, supertall