daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 17th, 2012, 06:36 AM   #601
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeCom View Post
"Impressive" is an inherently subjective term. It's about how much something leaves an impression on you. It's not necessarily calculable. It's like judging whether a painting is impressive by measuring how much paint was used. There are objective superlatives ("tallest", "oldest", etc) and there are subjective ones ("most beautiful", "most impressive", etc.). You don't find anything shorter than 1WTC impressive? Fine, that's your opinion - your impression. But you can't say "To determine whether a tower's height is impressive or not one can't rely on "feeling". One has to rely on height data." If I stand in front of a 35 meter tall bell tower and it looks tall and imposing and I'm impressed by it, then it's height is impressive to me.
I agree.. how on earth do u use height data to confirm if something is impressive objectively?

Last edited by aquablue; December 17th, 2012 at 07:31 AM.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 6th, 2013, 05:53 PM   #602
Winoc

Likes (Received): 41

Some info from SSP:
"A steel erection contractor, Stonebridge is setting up a large Manitowoc crane-possibly a 999 on 31 St. This contractor recently did the steel work for the Sanitation Dept building on Spring St."

"Forgot to mention, for the first time yesterday (thursday) workers were visible from on (or inside) the tracks. Didn't have time to get a photo, but Brookfield clearly means business about building the platform this time."

Pic by Sbarn:
image hosted on flickr

In light of this news I'd say that at least the platform wil be U/C sooner rather than later and the towers themselves can't be too far behind either. 2013 is shaping up to be great year with this, 225 W57th, 432 Park, Torre Verre, 3WTC, HY North & South towers, 56 Leonard and 99 church starting or resuming construction and 1WTC, 4WTC and One57 get completed, while One Hudson Yards, 2WTC, the Girasole, 105 W57th, 50 West Street, 45 E60th and 80 South Street will start construction in 2014.
Winoc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2013, 06:00 PM   #603
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Yup, it'll be a very promissing year
Old January 6th, 2013, 06:17 PM   #604
yankeesfan1000

Likes (Received): 560

The office component of this still needs a tenant, and with 3 WTC, and Related's Hudson Yards offering lower rents, the chances the office component start this year are pretty slim. They're basically building the platform so when the office buildings get tenants they can start immediately.

The residential arm of this development could definitely start this year, which if I remember is set to be around 750-850 units. 8 Spurce St is 900 units and 876 feet tall, so a even if it were just a 750 unit building, it would still be pretty tall.
yankeesfan1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2013, 06:23 PM   #605
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan1000 View Post
The office component of this still needs a tenant, and with 3 WTC, and Related's Hudson Yards offering lower rents, the chances the office component start this year are pretty slim. They're basically building the platform so when the office buildings get tenants they can start immediately.

The residential arm of this development could definitely start this year, which if I remember is set to be around 750-850 units. 8 Spurce St is 900 units and 876 feet tall, so a even if it were just a 750 unit building, it would still be pretty tall.
I''ll bet that with 1.1m sf leased at 3 WTC, there will be no more good deals for tenants. The remaining 1.7m sf is probably on the upper floors, and Silverstei n probably seeks pretty high rents for the space. Larry needed to give lower rents to Group M and to White & Case to get this building moving.

With respect to Manhattan West, I''ll bet that it will be a long time before office towers are built there. 1 Vanderbilt and 15 Penn, for example, have much better locations. Although Brookfield, is an office developer, I would not be surprised if Brookfield ultimately builds the entire site with residential, hotel, and retail.

Last edited by RobertWalpole; January 6th, 2013 at 06:41 PM.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2013, 08:02 PM   #606
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

But won't Larry try to do the same thing with 2WTC? Won't he give a low prices for the first tenants for that building too?
Old January 6th, 2013, 10:36 PM   #607
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

By the time the platform is finished there is a good change more tenants are found.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2013, 12:43 AM   #608
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

I hope nothing is built here for years until the area can support a fantastic design. The current design is pathetic.

Also, I don't think it would be a desirable location for a hotel any time soon. Best to wait until Hudson yards is mature and the values have risen. I hope they just build the resi tower component and then play the waiting game.

Last edited by aquablue; January 7th, 2013 at 12:48 AM.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2013, 01:48 AM   #609
RobertWalpole
BANNED

This is a good area for a Marriott or some type of hotel with rooms in the $300-$400 range. A 300 room hotel on top of an 800 unit residential tower would be good.
Old January 7th, 2013, 03:22 AM   #610
rencharles
We will never forget

Likes (Received): 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
I hope nothing is built here for years until the area can support a fantastic design. The current design is pathetic.

Also, I don't think it would be a desirable location for a hotel any time soon. Best to wait until Hudson yards is mature and the values have risen. I hope they just build the resi tower component and then play the waiting game.
I agree. I thought the exact same thing.
rencharles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2013, 05:29 PM   #611
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
But won't Larry try to do the same thing with 2WTC? Won't he give a low prices for the first tenants for that building too?
He might for the first $500' sf of space. It depends how the world economy is performing in 3 years. It could be doing very well, and Wall Street will lease a lot of space, or. If the Euro stagnation persists, the economy could still be tepid. Fortunately, the prospect of the Euro collapse, which would have been a disaster, now seems unlikely.
Old January 7th, 2013, 09:57 PM   #612
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28208

True. Eyes will now turn to the US fiscal cliff.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2013, 12:16 AM   #613
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22565

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Offereins View Post
that was more or less dealt with. The politicians showed they were willing to compromise albeit at the last minute. There would have been serious economic implications if that didn't happen.
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2013, 12:40 AM   #614
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Offereins View Post
As Hudson notes, that's not an issue. Given the massive boom in natural resources that's underway, the US should recover quite strongly over the next few years.
Old January 8th, 2013, 12:56 AM   #615
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28208

we'll see in 2 months.

But that's a lot of time. They will come up with something. US economy is strong anyway.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2013, 01:26 AM   #616
thejacko5
SSC Addict

Likes (Received): 401

ok, some possible developments here.

Brookfield is considering building out the foundation for the north tower now, ahead of the platform deck.

Word is that the tower could be built to podium height until the platform deck is complete (protecting the railroad).

Current schedule showing 18 months until platform deck is complete in that NE area.
thejacko5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2013, 01:29 AM   #617
thejacko5
SSC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winoc View Post
Some info from SSP:
"A steel erection contractor, Stonebridge is setting up a large Manitowoc crane-possibly a 999 on 31 St. This contractor recently did the steel work for the Sanitation Dept building on Spring St."

In light of this news I'd say that at least the platform wil be U/C sooner rather than later and the towers themselves can't be too far behind either.
casting of precast sections starting in weeks. expect 6-8 months until platform starts.

the crane is a 999. Same rig from the sanitation garage project.
Old January 8th, 2013, 01:30 AM   #618
yankeesfan1000

Likes (Received): 560

That'd be huge. jack I assume that's just so that they can push forward the potential delivery date to incentivize a potential tenant? Any thoughts on Brookfield building a residential component this year? Thanks as always.
yankeesfan1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2013, 01:40 AM   #619
thejacko5
SSC Addict

yes, thats the feeling, that they have prospective tenants.

basically they are weighing the added costs of doing simultaneous work on the same site, making the north capping steel work more complicated, versus getting ahead of the game by stacking critical path items on top of each other.

keep yall posted.

also, the 999 is set up on the south side, but dont expect to see capping steel erected for 4-5 months. that crane is there to assist the foundation contractor doing the concrete caissons.
Old January 8th, 2013, 02:40 AM   #620
windowsoftheworld

Likes (Received): 171

Classy, will fit NYC very nicely.
windowsoftheworld no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
1 manhattan west, 2 manhattan west, 3 manhattan west, 4 manhattan west, 5 manhattan west, brookfield manhattan west, new york, north tower, supertall