daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 6th, 2013, 02:44 PM   #741
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

That's totally different than the two office towers and one residential tower proposed now.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 6th, 2013, 03:21 PM   #742
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Brookfield's plans keep changing. First, they proposed two office towers. Then, two office towers and two residentials. Now, two office and one residential.

There is demand for residential. There is not demand for 4m sf of market-priced space (as opposed to sub-market-priced space at the HY and 3WTC).

Also,competing for tenants are millions of sf of new space in better locations, including:

1. 2 WTC;
2. 3 WTC;
3. 425 Park;
4. 1 Vanderbilt;
5. 380 Madison;
6. 7 Bryant Park;
7. 51 Astor;
8. The Girasole;
9. One Hudson Yards;
10. Sherwood's HY site with 2.5m SF;

11. Hotel Penn (when Vornado finds a tenant, it will be built, but it may take 15 years to find one);

13. The site of Coach's current 34th St HQ that Related will develop when the new Coach Tower is done (it will have at least 2.5m sf and a lot more if combined the with adjoining parking lts)etc.

Not to mention, there also will be whatever space is left over in Related's 2.3m sf North Tower after Related signs a tenant.

Brookfield also will redevelop eventually 450 W33rd, which is adjacent to Manhattan West.

Lastly, these are just the projects we know about. For all we know (and just as one example of many unknown possibilities), Hyatt plans to raze the Grand Hyatt next to GCT when the rezoning occurs and build a 1,300 foot tower.

Kanto liked this post

Last edited by RobertWalpole; April 8th, 2013 at 03:25 AM.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2013, 05:38 PM   #743
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Wow the Sherwood has that much sq footage? That has the makings of a super duper mega tall!!!

I hope the taller of the brookfield twins reaches 1,216 ft. Where did we get that figure anyway?? Was that made official by brookfield?

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2013, 05:55 PM   #744
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Iirc the design with one tower being taller than the second one was scrapped. Right now it looks like they plan to make both towers identical in height, but then again, there is no official confirmation either way
Old April 6th, 2013, 06:11 PM   #745
RobertWalpole
BANNED

[QUOTE=Vertical_Gotham;102001745] Wow the Sherwood has that much sq footage? That has the makings of a super duper mega tall!!! [QUOTE]

Also, Sherwood's site like the old Coach site likely will grow much bigger by combining with fallow, adjacent sites.
Old April 9th, 2013, 06:45 AM   #746
Ajaypp
Trivandrum Lobbyist

Likes (Received): 1131

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post

Hi, dude. Don't you live in NY? We should meet for cervezas some time.
I am up in Boston. Cambridge to be exact. But I am down there on work all the time. We should catch up. Lots to talk about.
Ajaypp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2013, 06:46 AM   #747
Ajaypp
Trivandrum Lobbyist

Quote:
I predict that two residentials will be built on this site and one office tower.
I'd love to see one supertall office tower at least.
Old April 9th, 2013, 08:44 AM   #748
Ajaypp
Trivandrum Lobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post

In the renders they looked to be approximately as tall as the lower tower of the previous design, which was 285 meters, but those are only preliminary renders, so nobody truly knows the height. However, seeing their footprint isn't that small and they have 2 million square feet each I don't expect something really tall.
The average floor play for each tower is about 32,000 SF. That means about 60 floors for 2,000,000 SF. At 4.5 m average floor-to-floor height, that works out to about 270 m. So it looks the 285 m figure would be close.
Old April 9th, 2013, 02:19 PM   #749
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Quote:
Brookfield's plans keep changing. First, they proposed two office towers. Then, two office towers and two residentials. Now, two office and one residential.

There is demand for residential. There is not demand for 4m sf of market-priced space (as opposed to sub-market-priced space at the HY and 3WTC).

Also,competing for tenants are millions of sf of new space in better locations, including:

1. 2 WTC;
2. 3 WTC;
3. 425 Park;
4. 1 Vanderbilt;
5. 380 Madison;
6. 7 Bryant Park;
7. 51 Astor;
8. The Girasole;
9. One Hudson Yards;
10. Sherwood's HY site with 2.5m SF;

11. Hotel Penn (when Vornado finds a tenant, it will be built, but it may take 15 years to find one);

13. The site of Coach's current 34th St HQ that Related will develop when the new Coach Tower is done (it will have at least 2.5m sf and a lot more if combined the with adjoining parking lts)etc.

Not to mention, there also will be whatever space is left over in Related's 2.3m sf North Tower after Related signs a tenant.

Brookfield also will redevelop eventually 450 W33rd, which is adjacent to Manhattan West.

Lastly, these are just the projects we know about. For all we know (and just as one example of many unknown possibilities), Hyatt plans to raze the Grand Hyatt next to GCT when the rezoning occurs and build a 1,300 foot tower.
As it's highly unlikely that the office towers will be built anytime soon (unless Brookfield decides to pull a Related and rent at cost -- which I doubt, since it's looking to make money), I would not be surprised if Brookfield transfers some air rights to its 450 W 33rd Site.
Old April 9th, 2013, 05:05 PM   #750
Vertical_Gotham

i really hope they don't sell the rights to their other property. I hope one of those towers breaks a thousand ft.

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)

ZZ-II liked this post
Old April 9th, 2013, 06:45 PM   #751
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
I hope one of those towers breaks a thousand ft.
i don't think both will be 300m+ but one of them seems possible. i really hope it
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2013, 06:47 PM   #752
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Quote:
i really hope they don't sell the rights to their other property. I hope one of those towers breaks a thousand ft.
They wouldn't sell it to someone else. They'd transfer it to 450 W 33rd, which is in a better location, and already has over 2m sf of air rights. They could build a colossal landmark on that site.
Old April 9th, 2013, 07:04 PM   #753
Vertical_Gotham

Quote:
They wouldn't sell it to someone else. They'd transfer it to 450 W 33rd, which is in a better location, and already has over 2m sf of air rights. They could build a colossal landmark on that site.
Really? Thats cool! That is the first time i heard about that site. Thanks for the heads up.

Let me get this straight, on the Manhattan West site the original plans call for 2 Large Twin Office towers, Retail Building and the 1 smaller residential tower which would be located on the south western side of the parcel. Correct?

So, this 450 W 33rd is on this parcel too? Meaning 4 towers plus the retail building planned on Manhattan West? Where would be the room for this tower? unless 450W33 is seperate from the Manhattan West parcel and is located on the north side of 33rd street across from the street.

Thanks. Just trying to my bearings here.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by Vertical_Gotham; April 9th, 2013 at 07:32 PM.
Old April 9th, 2013, 07:48 PM   #754
Vertical_Gotham

Re: 450 W 33rd

Oh i know this building. I read that Brookfield is not planning to raze the building but to renovate and maybe change the facade to glass or something. Although, I think they should and it would be a good candidate to build taller here but unfortunately, i don't think that is in their plans for that site.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old April 10th, 2013, 01:51 AM   #755
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Quote:
Re: 450 W 33rd

Oh i know this building. I read that Brookfield is not planning to raze the building but to renovate and maybe change the facade to glass or something. Although, I think they should and it would be a good candidate to build taller here but unfortunately, i don't think that is in their plans for that site.
The long term plan is to redevelop 450. If they transfer 1m sf to that site, they could build a mega tall.

This eyesore's time is limited.

Towerpower123
image hosted on flickr

Kanto, Eric Offereins liked this post

Last edited by RobertWalpole; April 11th, 2013 at 02:19 AM.
Old April 13th, 2013, 05:55 PM   #756
Ajaypp
Trivandrum Lobbyist

Quote:

The long term plan is to redevelop 450. If they transfer 1m sf to that site, they could build a mega tall.

This eyesore's time is limited.

Towerpower123
I sure hope so Robert, it will look so out of place between the tall glass towers at MW and HY. Plus Brookfield could definitely put a super tall there at some point. That'd literally take the wind out of HY's sails though!
Old April 13th, 2013, 07:18 PM   #757
RobertWalpole
BANNED

By the time that 450 is redeveloped, there will be many towers built in the HY area that are taller than the North Tower's 1,375 foot peak.
Old April 14th, 2013, 04:14 AM   #758
Ajaypp
Trivandrum Lobbyist

Quote:
By the time that 450 is redeveloped, there will be many towers built in the HY area that are taller than the North Tower's 1,375 foot peak.
Are any of the ones currently proposed nearby like 15 Penn taller than the North Tower? AFAIK, only 432 Park and 225 West will be taller.
Old April 14th, 2013, 06:03 AM   #759
RobertWalpole
BANNED

None are currently proposed. We just know that certain sites, like Sherwood's and the old Coach site, have enormous air rights, and even more if combined with underutilized, adjacent parcels.
Old April 14th, 2013, 02:01 PM   #760
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
There has been another height increase? The North Tower thread says 1337 feet?

Tags
1 manhattan west, 2 manhattan west, 3 manhattan west, 4 manhattan west, 5 manhattan west, brookfield manhattan west, new york, north tower, supertall