daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 12th, 2013, 02:00 PM   #841
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
They're now three tower, two of 60 floors and one of 57 according to SSP, might not see a supertall?
You know these towers will have high ceilings right? Right now I think of 4 other towers which have 60 floors and are over 300m.

Last edited by tim1807; May 12th, 2013 at 02:05 PM.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 12th, 2013, 02:32 PM   #842
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
They're now three tower, two of 60 floors and one of 57 according to SSP, might not see a supertall?
NY Guy at SSP is not an authority. Brookfield said in an article last week that the two office towers are not the same size. Also, by the time that these start construction, which likely will be several years from now, the current plans will probably change further.

Also, the model on display at the architecture exhibit shows 3 towers 0f vastly different sizes.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2013, 02:45 PM   #843
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post

Also, the model on display at the architecture exhibit shows 3 towers 0f vastly different sizes.
I saw a picture but it was really difficult to tell. It looked like the taller Brookfield model was just as tall at HY North on their display?

And.... If Brookfield will have a supertall. Then the "Brookfield" site would have to be rated higher than a Mercedes C class Robert!! Should be more like an Audi S8.

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2013, 04:04 PM   #844
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Brookfield's project is a C-class because: (a) it's in a dumpy area.t's not on the new park/boulevard; (b) it lacks all of the fountains and green space that Related's project has; and (c) its retail will pale in comparison to the 1m sf of high-end space at the HY. I was being generous to Brookfield by calling it a C-Class to Related's Rolls.

MarshallKnight liked this post
Old May 13th, 2013, 08:25 PM   #845
Vertical_Gotham

Nothing in the Yards is going to beat Related's. They have the Highline wrapping around their huge lot leading towards the Hudson Riverpark and the Boulevard running right into their plaza area where the shed will be plus they have the shopping mall ala Time Warner. It is definitely the Rolls Royce of the area.

Your right about Brookfield being a bit dumpy but if the moynihan station ever gets developed they will be in a prime area also. They will have a nice plaza for entertaining as well but defnintely not up to par with Related's.

What i'm saying is... If Brookfiled builds a supertall you can't call it MB C class! That is entry level in the luxury market. Having a supertall plus two other towers betw. 700-900 ft, imo does not warrant entry level. It will be special in it's own way because of it. That is why i call the project the Audi S8 of the bunch.

If i had to rate other projects comparing to luxury sedans, then...

Related = Rolls Royce
Brookfiled = Audi S8 (supertall w/ some retail and across Moynihan Station if ever built)
One Hudson Yards = BMW 7( across from Related's and on the Boulevard & 7 Train access)
Girasole = MB S class (Supertall on the Boulevard and 7 train access)

Old June 5th, 2013, 02:08 PM   #846
thejacko5
SSC Addict

Likes (Received): 401

Update:

An LR1400 w/ maxer wagon and 320' of main boom has been mobilized to the South side of the site to erect the TPP steel and the launching gantry crane.

The launching gantry is starting to arrive in containers at a marshaling yard ahead of delivery to site.

The TPP steel is currently being erected on site. It will be completed in weeks and the launching gantry should start going together by the end of the month.

First sections of capping beam have been completed on the South and North site.

Footings are starting to go in in the E-Yard on the south side of the site.
thejacko5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2013, 07:43 PM   #847
Vertical_Gotham

Another prospect for the Hudson Yards...

Sotheby’s auctions off its headquarters
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/busines...0av6sT5eWxij7N

Quote:
Going once, going twice, sold — and leased back.

At least that’s the plan, we’ve learned, for Sotheby’s current Upper East Side world headquarters. We hear investment sales gurus Douglas Harmon and Adam Spies of Eastdil Secured are marketing the building to possible buyers that would likely include hospitals that are clamoring for space, residential converters and developers, as well as office and hotel operators.

The striking glass and granite building at 1334 York Ave. takes up the entire eastern blockfront between East 71st and 72nd streets. In 2000, the 1921 structure was redesigned and modernized by architects Kohn Pederson Fox, with six large floors added at a cost of around $150 million.

With roughly 500,000 square feet on 10 giant floorplates, and some ceiling heights ranging up to 24 feet, the possibilities for the property are endless. A new buyer would likely incorporate retail stores into the scheme, even if it is knocked down for a taller and more slender condo tower.

The auction house initially rented the facility under a long-term lease that began in 1979. In 2009, Sotheby’s bought the building for $370 million. It was redesigned for its use and in 2003, the renovated building was sold. Sotheby’s signed a new lease with RFR, whose co-founder Aby Rosen is a big art collector.

Similar to Harmon and Spies’ billion dollar sale/leaseback of Sony’s 550 Madison and the nearly completed sale/leaseback of Time Warner’s offices, Sotheby’s plans to sell and lease back the facility until it finds, or perhaps develops, a new home. “They want to do a short-term leaseback between three and five years,” said one source.

Sotheby’s has hired Peter Riguardi, local head of Jones Lang LaSalle, and colleague Alexander Chudnoff to find it another location. That could include a more contemporary central Midtown or even Hudson Yards-area spot like the Manhattan West site that JLL is representing.

“Given the location of our building, the current real estate market, the unsolicited interest we’ve received in our property and our responsibility to our shareholders, we are exploring our options,” Sotheby’s spokesman Andrew Gully said.

Old July 2nd, 2013, 09:28 PM   #848
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53453

Brookfield Begins Rail Platform Construction

Quote:
As Time Warner nears a deal with Related Cos. to move its headquarters to Hudson Yards, Brookfield Office Properties has started major construction of a 120,000-square-foot deck over the Amtrak rail yard for its Manhattan West project.

Time Warner’s tentative plan to move to a new tower at Related’s site, first reported in the Wall Street Journal, would be momentous, allowing a second tower to go up that’s even larger than the one Related is building for Coach.

But, even before it lands a tenant or starts a building, Brookfield’s deck is meaningful too — the first platform over the yards between Ninth and Twelfth avenues after years of promises by both developers.

The photo above shows a just-completed temporary platform spanning the train yard from north to south on the Brookfield 5-acre site’s western edge adjacent to Dyer Avenue between West 31st and 33rd streets. Manhattan West lies slightly east of Related’s much larger site.

The temporary platform will support a “launcher” that will receive prefab concrete slabs from an adjacent staging area along the West 31st Street side. The slabs will then be assembled into 16 “bridges,” which the launcher will slide into place above the yard one at a time.

The deck is to be completed by the end of 2014.

desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2013, 05:26 AM   #849
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5308

Just saw that this is prep, and I don't know how I've missed it. I haven't been to this thread since 2012.

Great to see this is about to begin its journey to the skies!

L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2013, 11:58 AM   #850
RobertWalpole
BANNED

The towers won't be built until tenants are secured. Only the plaform and the residential tower are proceeding at this point.

Old July 4th, 2013, 01:46 PM   #851
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28320

But the platform needs to be built first anyway, if I remember correctly?

Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2013, 04:19 PM   #852
RobertWalpole
BANNED

The towers will be built on terra firma and could start today. Brookfield views the plaform, on which it will build a landscaped plaza, as an essential element since, in all practicality, a corporation won't want its HQ next to a multistory pit.

Even though Related's towers are now largely filled, I still think that it will be quite some time before Brookfield secures a tenant and actually builds office space here.
Old July 4th, 2013, 05:21 PM   #853
sbarn

Likes (Received): 991

I would get a lot more excited about this project if they redesigned those boring towers. Maybe potential tenants would as well?

As for this projects location... its immediate surroundings are pretty rundown and desolate (I think its surrounded by a bunch of USPS facilities), however I have a feeling that will change as Hudson Yards gets going.

sbarn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2013, 06:10 PM   #854
yankeesfan1000

Likes (Received): 560

What we've seen now are largely place holders.

As for the neighborhood, I'd imagine that USPS eventually sells those blocks, or at least sells the air rights, which I would imagine are massive given their facilities are on enormous super blocks.

And I agree with your second statement in a broader context, this is not a particularly exciting development aesthetically to someone who doesn't know this neighborhood. But as NYers know, or anyone who's been in this area knows, it is a total dump, so hopefully this gets going soon, and with Related a block west, this stretch of 9th Ave starts to pick up steam and transform like the rest of the far west side, because this stretch of 9th has some enormous lots that are prime for redevelopment.

yankeesfan1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2013, 05:24 PM   #855
thejacko5
SSC Addict

Likes (Received): 401

drawings for the NE tower foundation core are imminent.

thejacko5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2013, 02:40 AM   #856
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

A view of one launch girder and accompanying "leg."

Old August 23rd, 2013, 09:02 AM   #857
comet the cat
Too tall is not an option

Likes (Received): 85

That's the first time I've seen something resembling a construction photo on this thread, you good sir are awesome!

comet the cat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2013, 09:41 PM   #858
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

Quote:
Originally Posted by comet the cat View Post
That's the first time I've seen something resembling a construction photo on this thread, you good sir are awesome!
Well if it's construction photos you want, then construction photos you shall have!
This is taken from 31st and Dyer Ave, in my office building. You can see the launcher, unassembled launcher segments in the staging area, associated excavation on the north side of the tracks, and just a tiny glimpse of action down on the track level.

jglover1028

image hosted on flickr
Old August 24th, 2013, 12:42 AM   #859
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5171

Thanks for posting. Please keep em coming!

L.A.F.2., ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2013, 03:36 AM   #860
Funkyskunk2

Likes (Received): 808

Sorry about the glare and poor view. Had a great angle coming into the city but wasn't ready.

Tags
1 manhattan west, 2 manhattan west, 3 manhattan west, 4 manhattan west, 5 manhattan west, brookfield manhattan west, new york, north tower, supertall