daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 14th, 2013, 03:21 AM   #921
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6558

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-biz View Post
The second girder has been placed!

image hosted on flickr

jglover1028
one heck of a machine

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

L.A.F.2. liked this post
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 14th, 2013, 01:21 PM   #922
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28170

Those girders must be quite heavy.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Eric Offereins está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2013, 01:29 PM   #923
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

I doubt that these will rise any time soon. Brookfield will need a tenant seeking at least 1m sf to start a 2.m sf tower or two to three tenants seeking at least that much in total. I could see 15 Penn being revived before this rises.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2013, 05:25 PM   #924
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
I doubt that these will rise any time soon. Brookfield will need a tenant seeking at least 1m sf to start a 2.m sf tower or two to three tenants seeking at least that much in total. I could see 15 Penn being revived before this rises.
You and are going to butt heads on this. Lol

I have to respectfully disagree! Brookfield is one of the largest landlord in the city & nation. They have the ability to give an inside track to many of the companies they lease that are planning to relocate, plus what I think is a great selling point is 450 W 33rd. With that building, they can lease a prospective anchor for one of the bigger towers the needed 1 m sf enough to build and lease the remaining 500 k sq ft at a discount @ 450 should a tenant require 1.5 m sf. A large company will have good savings by doing this while being in same complex.

That IMO gives Brookfield the advantage over 3 Hudson blvd.

Brookfield #1 priority is to lease up Brookfield Place downtown and I believe they have had success. Once they are complete with that, they will turn their efforts solely for Manhattan West .

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)

Last edited by Vertical_Gotham; October 14th, 2013 at 05:37 PM.
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2013, 06:29 PM   #925
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Brookfield has way over a million sf of vacant space at the WFC which costs less than half of what it seeks at MW. This will be built but not for a long time.

3 HY is much easier to lease, as one 500k sf deal is all that it needs. There are a lot more tenants seeking 500k than 1m. Also, Moinian could be more flexible on the price since he will have revenue from residential. Lastly, a spot on Hudson Blvd -- next to the new station -- is much nicer than the Holland Tunnel's anus.
Old October 14th, 2013, 06:36 PM   #926
Vertical_Gotham

Quote:
Brookfield has way over a million sf of vacant space at the WFC which costs less than half of what it seeks at MW. This will be built but not for a long time. 3 HY is much easier to lease, as one 500k sf deal is all that it needs. There are a lot more tenants seeking 500k than 1m. Also, Moinian could be more flexible on the price since he will have revenue from residential. Lastly, a spot on Hudson Blvd -- next to the new station -- is much nicer than the Holland Tunnel's anus.
Lol! You have a good point!

Old October 14th, 2013, 09:56 PM   #927
Richardcornish
BANNED

Likes (Received): 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
You and are going to butt heads on this. Lol

I have to respectfully disagree! Brookfield is one of the largest landlord in the city & nation. They have the ability to give an inside track to many of the companies they lease that are planning to relocate, plus what I think is a great selling point is 450 W 33rd. With that building, they can lease a prospective anchor for one of the bigger towers the needed 1 m sf enough to build and lease the remaining 500 k sq ft at a discount @ 450 should a tenant require 1.5 m sf. A large company will have good savings by doing this while being in same complex.

That IMO gives Brookfield the advantage over 3 Hudson blvd.

Brookfield #1 priority is to lease up Brookfield Place downtown and I believe they have had success. Once they are complete with that, they will turn their efforts solely for Manhattan West .
Brookfield is a heavyweight respected developer, they have built many towers in London, they will build this too. When I came on this section I was happy to see so many new towers in New York, but after reading the threads, many of them haven't started, hopfully next year will see many supertall cores rising in new york
Richardcornish no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2013, 12:13 AM   #928
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardcornish View Post
Brookfield is a heavyweight respected developer, they have built many towers in London, they will build this too. When I came on this section I was happy to see so many new towers in New York, but after reading the threads, many of them haven't started, hopfully next year will see many supertall cores rising in new york
4 are under construction with another 4 to start immediate construction. New York is doing well. No other western city in a highly developed country can claim that.

As for this development, I hope we will see at least two supertalls rise here.
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2013, 09:05 PM   #929
Richardcornish
BANNED

Likes (Received): 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
4 are under construction with another 4 to start immediate construction. New York is doing well. No other western city in a highly developed country can claim that.

As for this development, I hope we will see at least two supertalls rise here.
That's great then, kudos new york
Richardcornish no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2013, 07:14 PM   #930
DesignerVoodoo

Likes (Received): 91

Photo by me.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old October 17th, 2013, 01:11 AM   #931
McSky

Likes (Received): 1878

Due in part to "The Monolith" (450 West 34th Street, the squat building) it does seem that these Manhattan West buildings are a bit on "the wrong side of the tracks". But that's just from a Hudson Yards-centric point of view. They're still just a few blocks from MSG, the old post office, etc.

Great photo, BTW.
McSky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2013, 02:47 AM   #932
Vertical_Gotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesignerVoodoo View Post
Photo by me. Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Nice Photo!

3 tall tower on that site. There is no way any of those towers will be wide. Just not enough space plus there will be a plaza splitting towers a North and South. The only way to maximize those towers sq ft is height!

Old October 17th, 2013, 04:26 AM   #933
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6558

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesignerVoodoo View Post
Photo by me.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
I can't wait to see the tracks all covered by the platform which in itself is an engineering feat!

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

DesignerVoodoo liked this post

Last edited by JohnFlint1985; October 17th, 2013 at 01:05 PM.
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2013, 06:27 PM   #934
solgoldberg

Likes (Received): 866

Great photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSky View Post
Due in part to "The Monolith" (450 West 34th Street, the squat building) it does seem that these Manhattan West buildings are a bit on "the wrong side of the tracks". But that's just from a Hudson Yards-centric point of view. They're still just a few blocks from MSG, the old post office, etc.

Great photo, BTW.
Yes, that's a great photo. You can see that apparently part of 31st is supported by a viaduct.

I've read numerous criticisms of "The monolith" but I only learnt yesterday that it's considered "Brutalist" architecture. And it originally opened as the Westyard Distribution Center.

Here's another, pre serious Hudson Yards construction, photo that shows the old Pennsylvania RailRoad pit and how it's across 9th Ave from Farley Post Office complex and just one Avenue from MSG & Penn Station/Plaza complex.

"Looking east from the roof of the Ohm apt. building at 30th Street" photo from interesting article by Annik: http://www.livinthehighline.com/2013...bution-center/
solgoldberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2013, 06:33 PM   #935
LastConformist

Likes (Received): 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by solgoldberg View Post
Yes, that's a great photo. You can see that apparently part of 31st is supported by a viaduct.

I've read numerous criticisms of "The monolith" but I only learnt yesterday that it's considered "Brutalist" architecture. And it originally opened as the Westyard Distribution Center.
It's not really Brutalist, or at least a poor example of the architectural style (not in terms of attractiveness--all Brutalist architecture is aggressively ugly--but in terms of style). Look up Boston City Hall or the Chandigarh Secretariat Building for a more classic example of Brutalism.

450 W 34th is just an ugly concrete building of no particular architectural pedigree that people have called Brutalist in retrospect because it's made of concrete and was built around the time Brutalism was popular.
LastConformist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2013, 07:05 PM   #936
solgoldberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastConformist View Post
It's not really Brutalist, or at least a poor example of the architectural style (not in terms of attractiveness--all Brutalist architecture is aggressively ugly--but in terms of style). Look up Boston City Hall or the Chandigarh Secretariat Building for a more classic example of Brutalism.

450 W 34th is just an ugly concrete building of no particular architectural pedigree that people have called Brutalist in retrospect because it's made of concrete and was built around the time Brutalism was popular.
It is a product of the '60s as is MSG.

I call it the AP building, to connect it to NYC's still-prominent role in worldwide media. And it's the HQ of NYC's The Daily News & WNET...
Old October 17th, 2013, 07:20 PM   #937
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Nice view of the McD's site!

Quote:
Originally Posted by solgoldberg View Post

Old October 17th, 2013, 08:48 PM   #938
solgoldberg

Aerial of McDs & LIRR substation/control tower

Quote:
Nice view of the McD's site!
Yes, it does. The big "flag on a pole" billboard supported by the massive column is a handy marker for it on the photo left side, ~ third way up from bottom. I assume the photo credit belongs to Annik LaFarge, who is the blogger for that column & the author of a book on the HighLine.

I was trying to figure out the date of the shot in her 6/2013 article and finally looked in the EXIF. Photo is from 7/11/2012: the West Side Yard/Hudson Yards and the Manhattan West pit have changed significantly. The High Line spur in the bottom right has had it's vegetation & concrete wear level removed & it's concrete deck rehabbed.

Photo also has a good angle on the LIRR worker bridge over the tracks, a structure that will have to be removed when they remove the vehicle ramp down from 10th Ave (for the Amtrak tunnel box) AND the 2nd story from the LIRR control tower (when they build the Hudson Yards platform to the NE corner).

I had not thought about the McDs when I walked past it two weeks ago, but a drive-thru McD's in that area will probably be quite an anachronism in a couple of years, IF it survives that long. Large parking lot, quite convenient for the cabbies now...
Old October 18th, 2013, 05:08 AM   #939
RobertWalpole
BANNED

It appears that Related has at least 1 large tenant for One Hudson Yards ands is lining up tenants for the McD's site, in which case Brookfield will not be securing tenants any time soon.
Old October 22nd, 2013, 08:05 PM   #940
solgoldberg

One Hudson BOULEVARD

Quote:
It appears that Related has at least 1 large tenant for One Hudson Yards ands is lining up tenants for the McD's site, in which case Brookfield will not be securing tenants any time soon.
Just to nitpick, One Hudson Boulevard is more descriptive, since the building is not in or on top of the West Side Yards/Hudson Yards.

Back to the Manhattan West topic: so it sounds like Brookfield will have the overbuild platform covering up the historic Pennsylvania RR/NY Penn Station pit for some time before they start building on top of their platform, correct?

Or they could build residential??

Tags
1 manhattan west, 2 manhattan west, 3 manhattan west, 4 manhattan west, 5 manhattan west, brookfield manhattan west, new york, north tower, supertall