daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 22nd, 2013, 06:32 PM   #961
seb.nl

Likes (Received): 1277

That concrete building is one of the coolest, bladerunner'est eyesores in the city... keep it!

solgoldberg liked this post
seb.nl no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 22nd, 2013, 06:35 PM   #962
solgoldberg

Likes (Received): 866

BIG, moving, concrete & steel gizmos

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-biz View Post
As has been mentioned on this thread before, the appeal of this building, hideous as it is, is the 100k+ sq ft continuous floor plate. It's one of only 8 buildings in the city where that option is available. I'm curious how much space is currently unoccupied.
I've appreciatted all the commentary on this squat concrete structure which has sensitized me to these style buildings. Previously, they had just blended into the background of late 60s/early 70s buildings. I just realized that the Town of Brookhaven (Suffolk County, NY) town hall is this type. Previously it was am Allstate Insurance building,perhaps built in the early '70s boom days when the LIE had made it that far east and the similar concrete buildings of the SUNY SBU campus were built.

WNET & NY's The Daily News are no longer in what I call the AP (Associated Press) building, so, yes, how much is occupied? Are those large sat dishes on the roof still in use?

Thanks for the photos & the link to SSP's mkeit info. I have also been unable to make out the East-West rails for the launcher itself.

Last edited by solgoldberg; November 22nd, 2013 at 09:01 PM.
solgoldberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2013, 06:49 PM   #963
solgoldberg

To each his own: come visit NYC midtown west

Quote:
Originally Posted by seb.nl View Post
That concrete building is one of the coolest, bladerunner'est eyesores in the city... keep it!
IMHO, yes.

Come and visit NYC, this area has quite a variety of old (by NYC standards), new. revitalized and half-assed. See the construction booms the Dutch started ~400 years ago.

Half-assed, such as the remaining platforms/bowels of the century old Penn Station one block east of the Manhattan West site. You can compare NY Penn's remaining bowels to the Netherland's Centraal stations (Rotterdam, Amsterdam, ?)

You can also check the now-very-visible enhancement to NY Penn's West End Concourse. Penn Station's West End Concourse, of course, is UNDER the Farley PO (NOT Brutalist). The Farley PO is on the right of j-biz's earlier erector photo and the east, under-construction end of the PO was captured by j-biz below. You're looking at the SW corner of W 33rd st & 8th Ave on 11/19/2013, at the original 1910 portion of the Farley PO. The "bladerunner'est eyesore" AP bldg is is on the right behind (west) of the PO/possible-future-Moynihan-station:

image hosted on flickr

Photo by J-biz, few more here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/10944972636/

The Farley PO is built across the same century+ old railroad pit that the erector will be covering up. Different technology, though...

j-biz liked this post

Last edited by solgoldberg; November 22nd, 2013 at 07:12 PM.
Old November 22nd, 2013, 08:03 PM   #964
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

Quote:
Originally Posted by solgoldberg View Post
You can compare NY Penn's remaining bowels to the Netherland's Centraal stations (Rotterdam, Amsterdam, ?)
Amsterdam yes.
image hosted on flickr

And Haarlem station.

But Rotterdam not so much.

solgoldberg, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2013, 08:50 PM   #965
solgoldberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim1807 View Post
Amsterdam yes.
image hosted on flickr

And Haarlem station.

But Rotterdam not so much.
Thx, nice photos. I've been through both the Amsterdam & Haarlem Centrall stations. Note that it confuses most NYC are residents when you mention taking the train to Harlem: they think you mean Manhattan's Harlem.

When I invoked the remaining "half-assed" bowels of NY's Penn station I was referring to the concourses and even dingier platforms. Unlike the train sheds of Amsterdam/Haarlem the space for these was blasted down into the Manhattan bedrock. They form that ~3 avenue long pit that the Manhattan West platform will finally fully cover.

This is the worst/best example of half-assed Penn station, the MTA/LIRR concourse. Taking the stairs down from this concourse will lead you to the elevated train platforms, whose LIRR tracks will lead you west to the West Side storage yards/Hudson Yards overbuild development or east to the East River Tunnels and then Queens, NY. The photos is looking west and you're sorta south of the One Penn Plaza tower:

Photography by Leif Knutsen, May 9, 2005 via wikipedia

Last edited by solgoldberg; November 22nd, 2013 at 08:58 PM.
Old November 22nd, 2013, 11:27 PM   #966
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10288

Rotterdam is so ugly. It's a shame what WWII did to that once stunning city

Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2013, 11:35 PM   #967
Makaveli96

Likes (Received): 117

So are the twin tower structures being built for this project?

Makaveli96 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2013, 02:38 AM   #968
solgoldberg

logical reply to question above

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
Nice! As with 15 Penn and 2 WTC, These office towers should start rising in 10 years when there's demand. In the meantime, we'll get residential and retail on the site.
RobertWalpole's statement sounds logical.

so my interpretation is: twin tower structures NOT being built in the 201Xs
Old November 23rd, 2013, 03:06 AM   #969
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Quote:
RobertWalpole's statement sounds logical.

so my interpretation is: twin tower structures NOT being built in the 201Xs
I concur.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2013, 03:22 AM   #970
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6558

And when the platform should be finished? by summer 2014?

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2013, 03:56 AM   #971
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Quote:
RobertWalpole's statement sounds logical. so my interpretation is: twin tower structures NOT being built in the 201Xs
Unfortunately, I too also agree with RW statement. With that said, Brookfield is exploring the possibility of making one of the twins (shorter) entirely residential should they become impatient with the office market. Tough to compete with the Ross man, so we could see something rising at Manhattan West sooner rather than way later.

I'll say this, Brookfield has been focusing filling up the Brookfield place downtown and has been doing well & once they turn their attention to Manhattan West, I would not be surprised that they find an anchor soon after. Brookfield is one of the largest commercial landlords in the nation so they could have the inside track should one of their largest tenants within the city or elsewhere relocate for larger space.

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)

Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2013, 04:09 AM   #972
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Very few firms are looking to take on expensive new space right now, unless they accept Mr. Ross' deals of the century.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2013, 05:01 AM   #973
Funkyskunk2

Likes (Received): 808

Is 2 Hudson and the mixed use towers being sold at cost as well? Very bad for 2 Wtc if so.
Funkyskunk2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2013, 10:21 AM   #974
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53450

from October:

Old November 26th, 2013, 05:32 PM   #975
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

First span is growing. I count 16 segments with about 5 more on site. I wonder if they'll have this ready for the 2-hour window on Sunday? I'd love to see it get placed, but of course I'm never in this neighborhood on the weekend.

Photos from my flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old December 4th, 2013, 03:51 AM   #976
solgoldberg

Platform finish in summer 2014?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFlint1985 View Post
And when the platform should be finished? by summer 2014?
Dunno, but sounds reasonable for getting all those giant planks down over the railroad pit.

I also did not know that the platform would be extended over Dyer Ave.
I learnt of this via NYGuy on SSP posting portions of the 11.29.13 Environmental Assessment Statement.

I snipped one of the diagrams that interested me from this pdf and posted it below. No matter the alternative, it shows a pedestrian path from 9th Ave to 10th Ave, via the platform over the RR pit & Dyer Ave and through the current AP HQ bldg (450 W 33rd St).
Quote:
The construction of the platform over Dyer
Avenue will eliminate a significant physical obstacle and visual eyesore and replace it with an
attractive landscaped open area. The passageway will provide an elevated passageway along
31st Street to an elevated podium at Tenth Avenue and 31st Street. Perhaps most importantly,
the platform over Dyer Avenue will allow the superblock to function as a single, planned site,
creating opportunities for additional retail that would bring additional pedestrian activity to the
block. The strong streetwall presence created by the platform and the podium would activate the
street, eliminating the canyon between the two sites on the project area, and encouraging
pedestrian activity.
This increases my appreciation that the HY & MW developments will tie this area together. Unfortunately, the 10th Ave podium (see diagram below) would not have a direct connection to the High Line 10th Ave spur but:
Quote:
The 10th Avenue podium will be open-to-the-sky, have a minimum area of 1,800 sf, at least four trees
and have both an elevator and stair connecting to street level.:
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

From page 58 of this filed with NYC doc: http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/pdf/env_...cp077m_eas.pdf

THE CPS TLA in the No Action diagram is "covered pedestrian space" which would hopefully look better than the current Penn Station LIRR concourse "covered pedestrian space":

Vertical_Gotham, Funkyskunk2 liked this post

Last edited by solgoldberg; December 4th, 2013 at 04:29 AM.
Old December 4th, 2013, 07:06 PM   #977
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

image hosted on flickr

I hope they choose the 100ft wide center plaza... cuz that means a narrower footprint for the towers and that means they would have to go taller!

Kanto, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2013, 09:14 PM   #978
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

It's hard for me to imagine what a platform over Dyer Ave would look like, and how it would flow into the pedestrian space between the MW towers. So much of the development in this area is raised up from the street level, it makes me wonder what the sidewalks will be like. Regardless, here's a photo update on the platform:

image hosted on flickr

There's also a sidewalk shed along the entire northern side of 450. Routine facade inspection or prep for reclad??? Wishful thinking, I know.

image hosted on flickr
Old December 4th, 2013, 11:11 PM   #979
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 415

Quote:
There's also a sidewalk shed along the entire northern side of 450. Routine facade inspection or prep for reclad??? Wishful thinking, I know.
The only thing this needs is some C4 but this probably prep for reclad like it was planned a while ago.

Last edited by webeagle12; December 5th, 2013 at 12:23 AM.
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2013, 06:53 PM   #980
solgoldberg

Elevation changes require stairs/elevators

Quote:
It's hard for me to imagine what a platform over Dyer Ave would look like, and how it would flow into the pedestrian space between the MW towers. So much of the development in this area is raised up from the street level, it makes me wonder what the sidewalks will be like. Regardless, here's a photo update on the platform:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Good question regarding access to the platform from the sidewalks. The EAS mentions the Dyer Ave platform would be above grade @ 31st There is a lot of detail & if-then alternatives, etc. but both "With Action Scenario - Alternates" define a W 31 St connector just east of Dyer:

Quote:
(e) West 31st Street Connector
(1) Location and Minimum Dimensions
A publicly accessible connection (hereinafter referred to as the “West 31st Street connector”) between the Dyer Avenue platform required pursuant to paragraph (e) of this Section and West 31st Street shall be provided. The West 31st Street connector shall be located on West 31st Street adjoining the eastern boundary of the Dyer Avenue platform and shall have a minimum area of 450 square feet.
(2) Required Amenities
The West 31st connector shall be directly accessible from West 31st Street by a staircase with a minimum width of 8 feet and by an elevator.
(6) Connection to below-grade passage
Where a pedestrian passage extending from the Eighth Avenue Subway beneath West 33rd Street to the west side of Ninth Avenue has been constructed, an entrance within the #development# shall be constructed that connects with such passage.
NOTE: I do not know WHO would pay for a 8th-to 9th Ave pedestrian passageway below 33rd.

Anyway here's a snip showing the 31st connector:

image hosted on flickr

Tags
1 manhattan west, 2 manhattan west, 3 manhattan west, 4 manhattan west, 5 manhattan west, brookfield manhattan west, new york, north tower, supertall