daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 8th, 2014, 08:18 PM   #1021
McSky

Likes (Received): 1875

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Offereins View Post
SHould be terrible conditions to work in, more than 10 below 0.

Man, I hope this cold snap ends soon. Everybody is feeling the chill:

Vertical_Gotham, Eric Offereins liked this post
McSky no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 8th, 2014, 08:25 PM   #1022
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

This was a guy sitting next to me in Central Park today!

Just kidding.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2014, 09:00 PM   #1023
solgoldberg

Likes (Received): 866

Today is balmy, compared to yesterday.

Quote:
SHould be terrible conditions to work in, more than 10 below 0.

Overnight low in central park was 9 deg F, currently 19 deg F. This is actual air temp, NOT wind chill. Vertical Gotham invoked people sitting in Central Park; here's a gigi_nyc photo of somebody sitting in Central Park ~two weeks ago:
image hosted on flickr

A walk in Central Park on 12.21.13 from The Pond up to the Harlem Meer. The cold weather has turned the bodies of water into ice all around the park, except for The Reservoir. As it was the winter solstice, it already turned dark by the time I reached Harlem Meer which is a good thing as I wanted to take a picture of the floating Christmas tree with its lights on.
gigi_nyc/flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/11525853263/

But, yes, terrible conditions to work in. Maybe the Manhattan West site & it's pit provides a little bit more shelter from the wind than the Hudson Yards.

Regarding the current WEATHER the northeast & midwest are almost at the 20 year anniversary of the 1994 cold wave. Here's a decent simple overview from the NYTimes 20 years ago:

Quote:
Cold Wave Hits Bottom; A Slow Climb Out Begins
By MATTHEW L. WALD
Published: January 21, 1994

Yesterday the reading in Central Park at midnight was zero, a new low for that date; other records were set in Binghamton, N.Y. (12 below), Caribou, Me., and Concord, N.H. (both 28 below), Stratford, Conn. (1), and St. Johnsbury, Vt. (32 below).
http://www.nytimes.com/1994/01/21/ny...ut-begins.html

Last edited by solgoldberg; January 8th, 2014 at 09:33 PM.
solgoldberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2014, 07:07 PM   #1024
Vertical_Gotham

Manhattan West Will Have Twice As Much Open Space
http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2014/0...open_space.php

Quote:
Hudson Yards gets the lion's share of attention on the west side, but just one block away, another megaproject is shaping up. It's been nearly a year since we heard anything about Brookfield's Manhattan West, but at a public meeting last night, the developer outlined plans for the project's public space. Brookfield wants to create nearly twice as much open space than what is required by the city, expanding it from the mandated 1.3 acres (49,400 square feet) to 2.11 acres (91,725 square feet).

Quote:
The plan, approved by the Manhattan community board 4 land use committee, involves connecting 33rd and 31st Streets by a pedestrian strip through the length of the site and fattening a required plaza above the exposed rail yards between Dyre and Ninth Avenues. The plan would also add a leg of walkway in the southeast corner and a passageway from Dyre Avenue to Tenth Avenue along 31st Street. "We think it makes for a more interesting and desirable place for everyone involved," said Sabrina Kanner, Brookfield's senior vice president of design and construction.

Quote:
Manhattan West will have two 65-story office towers and a 60-story residential tower a block east of the Hudson Yards project. The path over Dyre Avenue would connect the site with Brookfield's 450 West 33rd Street, a flattened pyramid-like building housing the Associated Press. Brookfield already started work on a deck over the exposed Amtrak railways but wants to expand the floor over Dyre to 450 West 33rd Street, which the company plans to start renovating this summer.

CB4 will revisit the proposal as a full board under the condition that several concerns will be addressed. The details on affordable housing at the site made the list, as well as a few concerns about the look of the public spaces.

"This is Sixth Avenue," said committee chair Jean-Daniel Noland, making a comparison to "corporate, easily maintained, pedestrian" plazas in Midtown. "Surely we could do better."

Quote:
Another board member compared the planned space to Bryant Park. Indeed, renderings include a Casablanca-showing movie screen at an area designated as an event space. Another section might be used by a vendor, something the board wants a firm decision on (and made clear that a Papaya Dog probably won't do). The Joie de Vivre statue at Zuccotti Park was thrown into an image as a placeholder for a possible statue. And the space requires a set number of chairs, tables and trees, all of which would be multiplied if the proposal passes.

Old January 9th, 2014, 07:46 PM   #1025
Vertical_Gotham

In this picture, Brookfield shows 5 Towers plus 450 W 33rd. It's really amazing to me all these buildings (6 buildings) are planned for that site at the same time enlarging the MW Plaza.

What they should do imo is to shorten the North tower to 800+ ft and transfer the rights to the South Tower and make it an iconic 1,400 + ft office tower.

j-biz, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old January 9th, 2014, 08:29 PM   #1026
solgoldberg

Still only 3 towers at Manhattan West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post

In this picture, Brookfield shows 5 Towers plus 450 W 33rd. It's really amazing to me all these buildings (6 buildings) are planned for that site at the same time enlarging the MW Plaza.

What they should do imo is to shorten the North tower to 800+ ft and transfer the rights to the South Tower and make it an iconic 1,400 + ft office tower.

I think you're misreading that rendering. It should be only 3 Brookfield towers east of the AP HQ bldg (450 W 33rd St).
The one "south" of the AP is definitely the Hudson Yards South/Coach Tower, 10 HY.

Last edited by solgoldberg; January 11th, 2014 at 12:38 AM.
Old January 9th, 2014, 08:52 PM   #1027
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

Quote:
...450 West 33rd Street, which the company plans to start renovating this summer.
Well that hopefully explains the heavy-duty sidewalk shed that encircles the building.

Quote:
That is a great idea! They're more apt to do the reverse though, and try to block 10 HY.
Old January 9th, 2014, 08:58 PM   #1028
Funkyskunk2

Likes (Received): 808

They would need a design that isn't a shitty rounded box before I'd want them to boost a tower to 1400 ft.

MarshallKnight liked this post
Funkyskunk2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2014, 08:59 PM   #1029
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22489

1400ft isn't going to happen. 1216ft is old information, that probably won't happen either. The three of these towers probably won't rise higher than 1000 ft, though the South Office Tower has the highest chance reaching that height.

Last edited by Hudson11; January 9th, 2014 at 09:07 PM.
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2014, 09:01 PM   #1030
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28145

Quote:
Originally Posted by solgoldberg View Post
Overnight low in central park was 9 deg F, currently 19 deg F. This is actual air temp, NOT wind chill. Vertical Gotham invoked people sitting in Central Park; here's a gigi_nyc photo of somebody sitting in Central Park ~two weeks ago:
image hosted on flickr

http://www.nytimes.com/1994/01/21/ny...ut-begins.html
That would be a suitable work suit for the builders!

iamtheSTIG, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2014, 09:46 PM   #1031
solgoldberg

Quote:
That would be a suitable work suit for the builders!
Good point & thanks for appreciating the photo by flickr's gigi_nyc!

I think it's a cute photo.

Note that Central Park hit 65 deg F on 12/21/2013, the photo's date.
It looks like today's Central Park high will be at least 31 deg F AND it is sunny.
Old January 9th, 2014, 11:09 PM   #1032
Vertical_Gotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by solgoldberg View Post
I think you're misreading that rendering. It should be only 3 Brookfield towers east of the AP HQ bldg.
The one "south" of the AP is definitely the Hudson Yards South/Coach Tower, 10 HY.
Yea I did. You're right! Those buildings in the back is Related's HY towers.

I was thrown off because usually developers would only show their own projects in their renderings and omit near by projects.
Old January 9th, 2014, 11:11 PM   #1033
Vertical_Gotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkyskunk2 View Post
They would need a design that isn't a shitty rounded box before I'd want them to boost a tower to 1400 ft.
Agree... This puppy won't be built in a while anyway. I am sure those renderings are just place holders and I expect SOM to do much better. Here's hoping.
Old January 10th, 2014, 12:10 AM   #1034
Vertical_Gotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
1400ft isn't going to happen. 1216ft is old information, that probably won't happen either. The three of these towers probably won't rise higher than 1000 ft, though the South Office Tower has the highest chance reaching that height.
True. My hope is still a taller South Tower at 1,200ft or more.

The way I see it, there is some stiff competition for tenants between Related, Moinian and Brookfield. In the past it was mentioned that Brookfield is exploring the possibility of turning one of the towers into residential & I think they should seriously consider it.

Build the North Tower shorter as a mix use tower and transfer the rights to build a taller South tower for dedicated office use. That way they can just focus finding 1 anchor vs 2 to start their project just to speed up their development and cash in on the sizzling residential market. So Manhattan West will have 2 Office Buildings and 2 Residential Buildings on its site.

The way things are presently as we all know is that the competition is fierce securing office tenants. You definitely can’t compete with Related and it seems Moinian’s 3 Hudson has the 2nd position when it comes to interest. Why are they preferred?? My guess is because theirs can rise faster w/o waiting for a platform to be built?

The good news is that according to reports, Girasol has been drawing interest from Several large tenants and if Girasol ends up bagging one Elephant then the interest from the other large tenants may spill over to Brookfield or 2 WTC to be the anchor of a tower.

My preference is 2 residential towers at 800ft and the South at 1,200 + ft vs. 1 Residential at 800ft and 2 Office towers at 1,000 ft.
Old January 10th, 2014, 12:24 AM   #1035
N.Y.C.H

Likes (Received): 407

From that newer render looks to have the old Hudson Yards tower designs when the Coach tower was over 1000 feet, so they both look like twin supertalls, not bad in my opinion.
N.Y.C.H no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2014, 03:06 AM   #1036
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Quote:

These towers are a LONG way away from being built. I highly doubt that they will look anything like that.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2014, 07:59 PM   #1037
Vertical_Gotham

Just looking at this picture I don't know how they will build that 60 storey residential tower on this site. It's going to be tight, but there will be a nice cluster of towers here especially when you include McCourt's 360 Tenth Ave tower which would likely be near supertall.

Old January 10th, 2014, 10:16 PM   #1038
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

Quote:

This. The north tower should be shorter one and the south tower should be a lot taller. Not that's it's going to be 1400 feet. But when the south tower is the tallest one. From the ESB it will appear next to the Hudson Yards North Tower.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2014, 09:50 PM   #1039
solgoldberg

3 towers on site, where??

Quote:
Just looking at this picture I don't know how they will build that 60 storey residential tower on this site. It's going to be tight, but there will be a nice cluster of towers here especially when you include McCourt's 360 Tenth Ave tower which would likely be near supertall.

Vertical_Gotham's comment on these various rendering reminded me that I that I had wondered where exactly the foundation/towers would go.

I poked around and stopped after I realized that the year+ old MW deck technology video showed the residential tower also. A portion of this clip is also shown in the NY FOX5 TV report from 12/4/13.

Here's a capture from the "deck technology" video. It shows the residential tower being built on the current staging area (high bedrock/SW corner), the north office tower in the NE corner (high bedrock) and the south office tower in the SE corner. View is looking ESE.

image hosted on flickr

Foundation-wise, the SE tower is the "interesting" one because the foundation columns will have to be built between the existing tracks of the Amtrak train yard "E".

An Amtrak-centric diagram below shows what is in the Amtrak pit that Manhattan West will bridge over. 9th Ave is on the right, the AP HQ bldg is on the left overlain by the the various railroad track/tunnel symbols. 33rd st is at the top.

The red track lines fanning out from the Gateway Tunnels do not exist: the Gateway Tunnel is currently nothing but the tunnel box excavation that is now occurring in the LIRR's West Side Yard/Hudson Yards overbuild.

Note that this diagram shows part of the NE corner of the MW site has RR tunnels underneath the former parking lots

image hosted on flickr

Snip is from page 16 of an Amtrak presentation Sept 15, 2011

The SE corner/Amtrak yard "E" is shown in this photo posted by ssc's thejacko5 on December 25th, 2013. View is looking west, with yard "E" on the left. Note that Yard "E" also extends partly under 31 st.

thejacko5/SSC

And here's overheard imagery from 6/23/2012 Google Earth taken while the MW contracter was starting site prep on the former parking lots. Street/bldg boundaries are basically the same as those in the Amtrak diagram above:

image hosted on flickr

From GoogleEarth

Funkyskunk2, Vertical_Gotham liked this post

Last edited by solgoldberg; January 12th, 2014 at 10:01 PM.
Old January 12th, 2014, 10:21 PM   #1040
Funkyskunk2

Likes (Received): 808

http://i.imgur.com/vkSrHOF.jpg

I used this when making my models. It's the old belly bop design but I assume the current massings are going to have the same footprints.

Vertical_Gotham liked this post
Funkyskunk2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
1 manhattan west, 2 manhattan west, 3 manhattan west, 4 manhattan west, 5 manhattan west, brookfield manhattan west, new york, north tower, supertall