daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 11th, 2014, 11:15 PM   #1161
yeisson

Likes (Received): 2653

tienen alto nivel de entrepiso ?
yeisson no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 11th, 2014, 11:18 PM   #1162
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

I'm actually shocked by how good it looks. It's still an ugly building, but soo much better.
j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2014, 11:21 PM   #1163
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28195

Looks like a pretty good makeover to me.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2014, 11:26 PM   #1164
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4605

Why are you guys so mean to that poor building?! I actually don't think it looks that bad, we have much uglier buildings in the city. The glass cladding actually makes it look quite good, nothing great, but it looks nice.

charmedone liked this post
Ghostface79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2014, 11:44 PM   #1165
iamtheSTIG

Likes (Received): 4535

Glad I'm not the only one who likes that building; to me it has a strange futuristic aspect to it

Check out my Instagram

Nottingham Interactive Development Map

Trex-md liked this post
iamtheSTIG está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2014, 12:21 AM   #1166
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3590

I don't mind it, except for the one flat side. And I agree that filling out the corners would be nice. I'm curious what material other than glass they'll be using for the re-clad. The color is obviously very different, but I can't tell if it's just a repaint... Almost looks metallic.
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2014, 12:28 AM   #1167
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtheSTIG View Post
Glad I'm not the only one who likes that building; to me it has a strange futuristic aspect to it
Stig, we know you love your "blade-runnery" buildings.

iamtheSTIG liked this post
Old February 12th, 2014, 12:30 AM   #1168
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

It is blade runner-ish!

I like the new rendering much much better because we can see it in detail. Not bad imo.

Here are some details about this building currently.
http://www.rew-online.com/2014/02/11/21699/

Quote:
Brookfiled will conduct the renovations with tenants in place, and the executives seem confident they have a plan to keep everyone happy and warm inside the building while removing the exterior walls. In addition to the AP, the building houses Coach, whose employees won’t get to enjoy the benefits of living through this renovation but will, as consolation, be moving into their new digs next door in the Related complex.

Currently there is about 350,000 s/f available in the building, with another approximately 300,000 s/f becoming available in 2017, according to Jerry Larkin, Brookfield’s SVP of leasing. A team led by Bruce Mosler and Josh Kuriloff of Cushman & Wakefield is handling office leasing at Manhattan West, including 450 West 33rd Street. Asking rent is in the $60s and $70s psf.

So far the building has seen interest from the traditional media and fashion tenants as well as information technology firms. The industry famed for its ping pong tables sees a lot of potential in the huge floor plates and 14-27 foot ceilings, according to Larkin, who said he’s heard prospective users talk about rock climbing walls, a skateboard half pipe and a running track.

The renovation of 250 West 33rd street will start in the spring and is scheduled to wrap up in the Summer of 2016. Construction of the platform that will support the new buildings of Manhattan West started last week and is expected to be finished later this year.

Last edited by Vertical_Gotham; February 12th, 2014 at 12:48 AM.
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2014, 02:09 AM   #1169
Trex-md
In Reason We Trust

Likes (Received): 162

Now if only someone could propose to re clad that hideous verizon building by the bk bridge... Sigh

hordak1975 liked this post
Trex-md no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2014, 03:17 AM   #1170
Ghostface79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trex-md View Post
Now if only someone could propose to re clad that hideous verizon building by the bk bridge... Sigh
There's no hope for that building, it needs to be taken down and redeveloped.
Old February 12th, 2014, 03:50 AM   #1171
msquaredb

Likes (Received): 354

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostface79 View Post
There's no hope for that building, it needs to be taken down and redeveloped.
I thought there were plans to clad it in blue glass a few years back. Can anybody comment on whether I am thinking of something else or if that plan just didn't come to fruition?
msquaredb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2014, 04:28 AM   #1172
Ghostface79

True indeed, not sure what happened to the deal or the re cladding tho.

http://nypost.com/2007/09/26/downtown-tower-deal/

Quote:
Verizon is selling the majority of its building at 375 Pearl St. to Taconic Partners for the dirt-cheap price of $172.05 million.
Taconic and investment partner Square Mile Capital are buying a condominium interest in 930,000 feet of the 1.098 million foot structure, Taconic executives said.
“We saw it as a Taconic-style play: finding great bones at a good value and we put our foot to the metal to take it,” said Taconic Partner Paul Pariser.
The group is scooping up the 32-story tower, next to Murry Bergtraum High School and rising over the city’s downtown Civic Center, for $185 a foot at a time when land and even air rights in Manhattan have soared, in some cases, to over $500 a foot.
Taconic has hired Cook + Fox, architects of the the Bank of America Tower at One Bryant Park for design work and will spend up to $100 million to add as many as six elevator cabs, install new HVAC, new electricity, bathrooms and completely strip and reskin the limestone structure. The new design will also include 360-degree window walls.
Taconic will own the ground retail area along with floors 2-7 and 11-32. Verizon will retain floors 8-10 and cellar space for its “mission critical” switching facilities.
Bill Shanahan, Rob Stillman and Bob Alexander of CB Richard Ellis pitched the former New York Telephone property to a select group of developers on behalf of Verizon.
The deal is expected to close in December.
Old February 12th, 2014, 05:20 AM   #1173
CCs77

Likes (Received): 2436

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
I don't mind it, except for the one flat side. And I agree that filling out the corners would be nice. I'm curious what material other than glass they'll be using for the re-clad. The color is obviously very different, but I can't tell if it's just a repaint... Almost looks metallic.
And indeed it must be metallic, it would be alucubond or something similar.

Besides aesthetic improvement, another good thing is that it also seems to be improved a lot the pedestrian experience, giving a much more pedestrian friendly frontage.
CCs77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2014, 03:33 PM   #1174
hordak1975

Likes (Received): 253

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtheSTIG View Post
I also think the recladding is going to be the best part of the redevelopment
hordak1975 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2014, 04:07 PM   #1175
SomeKindOfBug

Likes (Received): 1035

Even if you don't like the building, you have to admit they've done the absolute best possible job at cladding it that they could have. I mean, you'd rather the base building looked better. But as it stands, the renders of the new outer layer are a huge improvement and probably the best they could have hoped for without a complete demo.
SomeKindOfBug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2014, 05:13 PM   #1176
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6558

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybooster View Post
Which building is that? If it's the one I'm thinking of it's the main Post Office building, which is going to be used as a rail station as well(supposed to have been that Madison Square Garden would be moved to that complex, but current ownership wanted to stay in the present Garden)... to think where the Garden is and that hideous Penn Plaza monstrosity exists there once was the splendor of Penn Station. God damn the soul of Robert Moses for inflicting us with so many urban catastrophes back in the 50's and 60's.
Westyard Distribution Center

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2014, 05:15 PM   #1177
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6558

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post

Brookfield Office Properties to Commence $200-Million Redevelopment of 450 West 33rd Street

New Glass Skin and Street-Front Retail Designed by Joshua Prince-Ramus of REX; Property to Be Integrated Into 7-Million-Square-Foot Manhattan West Development
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/brookf...190000593.html

just imagine how much taller they can build on such a footprint. they can easily go to 2000 ft there with one massive office tower.

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2014, 05:37 PM   #1178
TheEnlightened

Likes (Received): 25

Theres no demand for a 2000 ft office tower. Maybe in 10 years, but not today. This reclad will be here to stay for a while. Its much better looking than whats currently there.
TheEnlightened no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2014, 08:07 PM   #1179
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3590

Yeah, the building fits a very specific demand -- that for those huge, unbroken floor plates that you could never get in a normal office tower. It wouldn't make sense to bring it down, but I do sort of wish they could build an addition on top of it, as it'll be basically the sole lowrise breaking up a long string of highrises and supertalls.
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2014, 08:14 PM   #1180
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

It does look like a giant pedestal. It could look pretty cool with a huge addition.

Tags
1 manhattan west, 2 manhattan west, 3 manhattan west, 4 manhattan west, 5 manhattan west, brookfield manhattan west, new york, north tower, supertall