daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 21st, 2014, 01:58 PM   #1201
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28183

they are not building these towers at the moment. that's why the status isn't U/C
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 21st, 2014, 04:34 PM   #1202
thejacko5
SSC Addict

Likes (Received): 401

im not sure what else i would call what is going on right now besides construction....
thejacko5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2014, 04:58 PM   #1203
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

I think in the rules of this forum, the platform would be considered prep work since it's directly related to the towers and is a prerequisite for their completion, similar to 30 HY, but not technically part of the future structures. Foundation work = U/C.

Regardless, it's fun to watch. 2 down, 14 to go! Sorry for the dirty window. My crappy Class C office building is way too cheap to pay for cleaners.

image hosted on flickr

And the cycle begins anew:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

ILNY, spectre000, McSky, WillBuild liked this post
j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2014, 06:03 PM   #1204
ILNY

Likes (Received): 5303

Nice update j-biz!
ILNY no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2014, 07:46 PM   #1205
solgoldberg

Likes (Received): 866

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILNY View Post
Nice update j-biz!
Yep!

Thanks for the photos, yet again.

I don't know the forum guidelines for under-construction but I consider this site under construction, just like the on-going Hudson Yards overbuild platform/foundations & Amtrak tunnel box to be the initial "under-construction" for 30 Hudson Yards (the tall tower with the observation platform).

As a small example for this site, note that they are working on the north side tower site, visible in j-biz's top photo across the Penn Station pit.
solgoldberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2014, 08:01 PM   #1206
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

There is construction, so the whole Manhattan West project is U/C, but the particular supertall tower isn't U/C yet. And only the tower counts here.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2014, 12:01 AM   #1207
McSky

Likes (Received): 1878

Is there any video of either of the first two spans being put into place? Or does the hour at which this occurred preclude this?
McSky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2014, 05:52 AM   #1208
Subsequence

Likes (Received): 50

Last edited by Subsequence; March 8th, 2017 at 11:41 PM.
Subsequence no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2014, 05:59 AM   #1209
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subsequence View Post
Why the rush? The office towers will not rise for another 15 years, or by 2025 as RobertWalpole said. I'm assuming the exciting part would be the residential tower and retail space.
I think they will find tenants much much sooner than that. Like around 2016. Don't underestimate Brookfield, they are one of the largest commercial landlords in the country.

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2014, 06:27 AM   #1210
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3589

While that's true, they're going to have a hard time competing in a neighborhood saturated with Related's at-cost office space.
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2014, 07:53 AM   #1211
Vertical_Gotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
While that's true, they're going to have a hard time competing in a neighborhood saturated with Related's at-cost office space.
I'm not so sure they are going to offer at cost with 50 Hudson, although they may do it a 55 Hudson Yards (Extell)

IMO they are definitely offering at cost for 10 & 30 HY because they want to get companies to move there, which they had successfully done. Related has invested big time in the yards. They made a huge bet & could not afford to lose.

Now they can finish phase 1 with the residential's and make some money. Done!

Moinian's 3 Hudson Blvd is garnering some real interest w/o offering cost and may go vertical very soon if reports are accurate because Related has created the interest in the Yards for companies wanting to be there.

Incidentally just recently, it was rumored that Credit Suisse or one of those banks, I forget.. was close to committing in one of the Manhattan West Towers, basically leaving Brookfield at the alter b4 ultimately choosing another place.

So if I'm Related my game plan would be in 3 Phases because it is a business they are in after all.

1) Phase 1 - offer commercial towers to just get companies in the Yards and finish off the residential towers to make some $.

2) Phase 1A - make money with commercial towers (50 & 55 Hudson Yards) and compete with other developments along the Hudson Boulevard.

At the boulevard completion will be stiff and bloody. 50 & 55 HY will have to compete with Girasole, Hudson Spire & Sherwood Equities. Related has another development site along the boulevard as well so Maybe they will decide to offer 55 HY at cost just to get things humming along the boulevard. At this point all I'm hoping is that each of these towers will get the anchors enough to go vertical. They don't have to fully lease.

3) Phase 2 - make a ton of money with the residential neighborhood they will be creating.

So that is my reasoning that Brookfield can realistically find a anchor tenant much sooner rather than later. Brookfield right now is solely focusing filling up their Brookfield Place downtown in which they are having success & once they are satisfied they will turn their efforts 100% in the Yards.

Because they are one of the largest landlords, they can offer some of the companies they landlord a good deal if they are moving out of one if their buildings they manage so they will have the inside track first, even though they will not offer the Manhattan West as cheap as Related's so that is a big advantage, but at this point will there be any towers offered at cost at that point by 2016-17 by Related? Everything at that point should be fair game.

The Towers that Related is offering will enjoy near full occupancy by 2016 I would imagine. Maybe as of now after Time Warner moves into 30 Hudson, there will be enough room for 1 more large corporation only and everything after that is fair game with all remaining developments to compete that are along the Hudson Boulevard. 10 Hudson is close to fully committed.

Phase 1 is basically already taken cared of. Phase 1A (Hudson Blvd Towers) may have to compete with WTC and the eventual Midtown East rezoning and Phase 2 will be a cake walk.

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)

MarshallKnight liked this post
Old February 24th, 2014, 06:04 AM   #1212
Ajaypp
Trivandrum Lobbyist

Likes (Received): 1131

- That's a good analysis. I agree with you that Manhattan West will find its first tenant sooner than expected. I believe these will be the most attractive prospect once the 10 and 30 HY run out of the blocks of space needed for a large tenant. Sorry, Robert.
Ajaypp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2014, 08:52 PM   #1213
Vertical_Gotham

West Side demands for housing, public space test mayor’s planning pledge - Feb 23
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Community board demands Manhattan West project include binding commitment to affordable apartments and 24/7 plazas
http://www.thenewyorkworld.com/2014/...anhattan-west/

Quote:
Introducing Carl Weisbrod earlier this month as the newly appointed chair of the City Planning Commission, Mayor Bill de Blasio promised that “he’ll take on the greatest challenge of our time — the crisis of affordability and the crisis of inequality that grips this city.”

A first test of de Blasio’s approach to city planning is now underway with the massive Manhattan West development, a $4.5 billion complex Brookfield Properties plans to construct on a platform above the rail yards on 9th Ave. between 31st and 33rd streets in Manhattan.

Developer Brookfield Properties is seeking to expand the public space at the site from 1.3 to nearly 2 acres, a move that will require approval from the City Planning Commission, City Council and mayor. The 5.4 million-square-foot Manhattan West, first approved in 2010, will include apartments, an office building and hotel and retail facilities.

Brookfield has already pledged to make 20 percent of the housing in the 800,000-square-foot residential complex permanently affordable. But at its February meeting, Manhattan Community Board 4, which has an advisory vote on the project, asked the City Planning Commission to make the commitment legally binding on the developer.

In voting to approve the Manhattan West plan amendments, community board members also called on the commission to make the open space accessible to the public 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Under current plans, it will be closed from 1 a.m. to 6 a.m. each day.

In its recommendation to the City Planning Commission, the community board explained that public space “should not be expanded solely to provide access corridors to retail venues” and should instead “be driven by a desire to create a respite from commerce, an inviting refuge from the hustle and bustle of the city.”

Board members urged the developer to look to the its own Winter Garden Atrium at the former World Financial Center, now renamed Brookfield Place, as a model of “a beautiful and stirring example of what great public space can be.”

As described by Brookfield to the community board, the space “will be extensively landscaped with both trees and planted areas, and have fixed and moveable seating and tables and other amenities.”

Some attending the community board meeting were not impressed. “These guys come in here with their suits and their snobby attitudes. What is this? This is Chelsea, not the Upper East Side!” said one angry resident, Kalliopi Giannatos, after the developers presented their amended project.

“This is insulting for Chelsea,” she said, “I think they should provide more open space.”
A representative from the Fashion Institute of Technology also expressed concerns. “FIT continues to have doubts on safety, design and accessibility of the project,” said the speaker, reminding the board that thousands of students live in a dorm across from the site.

Community Board 4 members were among those who showed up at the Feb. 19 City Planning Commission meeting to state their demands for 24-hour public access to Manhattan West.

“The board fully understands the necessity of closing public access areas for emergencies or repairs,” said Jean-Daniel Noland, chair of Hell’s Kitchen/Clinton land use and zoning committee for Community Board 4. “But we do not believe that outside of these contingencies, open public access in our district, in the heart of a 24-hour city, should be closed to the people of New York.”

Michael Sandler, representing the office of Manhattan Borough President Gale Brewer, who also holds an advisory vote, asked the commission “to ensure that the space can never be physically closed off from the public.”

They were met with objections from City Planning Commission member Anna Hayes Levin, who described the hours of the public space as “generous.” Levin formerly chaired Community Board 4’s land use committee.

A City Planning Commission spokesperson said that Weisbrod could not comment on the Manhattan West proposal prior to beginning his work on the commission. While another six members of the 12-member commission are named by the mayor, those were appointed to the commission by former Mayor Michael Bloomberg and are serving out their terms.

After a commission vote, the public space proposal moves on to the City Council for approval.

Funkyskunk2, solgoldberg liked this post
Old February 26th, 2014, 02:03 AM   #1214
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

Some of the public would not be pleased even if the suits came instead in polo shirts and casual jeans. So long as Brookfield sticks by its commitment, and I do think the advice to look to the Winter Garden Atrium as an example to not limit public access is a very good one... I'm good with Manhattan West.
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2014, 04:20 PM   #1215
solgoldberg

Likes (Received): 866

It COULD all be connected

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybooster View Post
Some of the public would not be pleased even if the suits came instead in polo shirts and casual jeans. So long as Brookfield sticks by its commitment, and I do think the advice to look to the Winter Garden Atrium as an example to not limit public access is a very good one... I'm good with Manhattan West.
Yeah: I'm still wondering how public access will be controlled to Phase 1 of the "High Line at the Rail Yards" Park. AFAIK this will open this year & the adjacent Hudson Yards Culture Shed plaza will open 2016?. The western end/450 W 33rd end of the Manhattan West plaza could, theoretically, be bridged to the High Line's 10th Ave Spur (the yellow thing in thehighline.org diagram's right):

solgoldberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2014, 11:10 PM   #1216
Vertical_Gotham

The Brookfield Residential is slated to rise this year and completion date is 2017.

It's going to be rental building which is expected considering they will not offer the greatest views to go luxury condo here. The best views in this tower will be South facing views. All other views will be blocked by future skyscrapers. lol

Raising the Bar on Prices and Amenities
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/02/re...ties.html?_r=0

Quote:
The rental building that Brookfield is working on, at 425 West 31st Street, near 10th Avenue, is a 60-story tower with 830 apartments that will start construction this year and be completed in 2017.

And it, too, will be loaded with amenity spaces, with pet day care, terraces and a pool
across 40,000 square feet, Mr. Wharton of Brookfield said.

But, he added, there’s a trade-off: His building will sacrifice apartment space to squeeze in all these extras.
Old March 1st, 2014, 08:13 PM   #1217
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

That is good news, but why build the residential first? Because of the good market?
Old March 3rd, 2014, 06:28 AM   #1218
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

These towers are awful, they look like some generic crap you'd find anywhere in an Asian planned CBD somewhere. Not very inspired.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2014, 06:32 AM   #1219
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

^ They look generic because they are placeholders. The actual designs (if any exist) haven't been released yet.
j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2014, 01:34 PM   #1220
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

I wasn't aware of that. Anyway, we have something to look forward to.

Tags
1 manhattan west, 2 manhattan west, 3 manhattan west, 4 manhattan west, 5 manhattan west, brookfield manhattan west, new york, north tower, supertall