daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 17th, 2014, 11:26 PM   #1241
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

http://www.manhattanwestnyc.com/cont...est-29593.html

looks like they updated their page a bit. They did not put 2 Manhattan West on their site (Taller) Perhaps they are still updating the site.

1 Manhattan West -
A 60-story, two-million-square-foot LEED Gold office tower will provide efficient space for modern companies in a range of user layouts.

Hotel -
A 5-star boutique hotel will feature a 9,000-square-foot rooftop garden and signature restaurants.

Residential Tower -
The residential building will rise 60 stories with 800 units and offer an array of amenities including concierge service, pool, spa, fitness and children's daycare.

5 Manhattan West -
Brookfield's commitment to Midtown West is punctuated by the acquisition of another pivotal property in the neighborhood. This building offers large unique space in close proximity to high growth developments and green spaces.

Central Plaza -
The public space in the Manhattan West complex will encompass two acres. This open space will be programmed with arts and events as well as seating and landscaping for the enjoyment of tenants and the entire community.

Sponsored Links
Old March 18th, 2014, 10:12 AM   #1242
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

I do have to say that compared t the curves, sharp angles and twists of Hudson Yards the most innovative looking building architecturally will be ironically 5 Manhattan West. I mean turning that frog into a shimmering princess, and nicely cleaning up that cluttered mess of a roof is commendable in itself. Unfortunately, though I love the plaza plan it disappoints in being Hudson Yards Lite with boxy, unremarkable designs for their towers.... how high are they envisioned? Finally, where will the hotel be located, a separate smaller tower? If anyone remembers the Nero- like emperor of Rome in "History of the World, Part 1" they'll recognize my opinion of Brookfield's Manhattan West project as currently envisioned. "Nice, nice, not thrilling... but nice"!
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2014, 08:38 PM   #1243
SomeKindOfBug

Likes (Received): 1035

I agree entirely.

Look, obviously in a better world that hideous building would never have been built. But we don't live in that world. And they've done just about the best job they could have by giving it a facelift. It's a textbook example of making lemonade when life gives you 5 Manhattan West.

citybooster liked this post
SomeKindOfBug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2014, 09:50 PM   #1244
citybooster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeKindOfBug View Post
I agree entirely.

Look, obviously in a better world that hideous building would never have been built. But we don't live in that world. And they've done just about the best job they could have by giving it a facelift. It's a textbook example of making lemonade when life gives you 5 Manhattan West.
Problem is they gave us uninspired buildings for the main project... oh like I said nice enough, but definitely too conservative and won't be nearly as iconic as Hudson Yards which will not only give us the fantastic first phase but an even more creative second phase. Couldn't they have spent some time or at least can't they revise what the three towers in the main MW development look like?
Old March 18th, 2014, 09:55 PM   #1245
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3590

I was under the impression that the designs as shown (with the exception of the 5 MW re-clad) are just placeholders. Has that changed?
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2014, 09:59 PM   #1246
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6558

The transformation of this whole area is incredible

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2014, 10:05 PM   #1247
iamtheSTIG

Likes (Received): 4535

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
I was under the impression that the designs as shown (with the exception of the 5 MW re-clad) are just placeholders. Has that changed?
Well from what we know, due to the new residential tower some of the air rights from these 'twin' tower have been transferred over to that which in itself means the towers designs will have to change to a shorter height
They could also choose to have much smaller floor plates catered to smaller but many businesses throughout the towers making them just as tall if not taller which again will result in a design change

So so far we have no idea what the possibilities are

Check out my Instagram

Nottingham Interactive Development Map
iamtheSTIG está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2014, 11:14 PM   #1248
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

New Looks At Manhattan West As Its Expansion Gets An OK
http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2014/0...gets_an_ok.php

Quote:
It's been a big few days for megaproject Manhattan West, which will plop a $4.5 billion office-hotel-retail-residential complex atop a platform atop the tracks leading out of Penn Station. Today the City Planning Commission approved developer Brookfield Office Properties' plan to double the amount of open space—in the way of plazas and a pedestrian walkway that links the bulk of the project to the old office building Brookfield bought at 450 West 33rd Street, which it will smother in a new glassy facade.

Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2014, 11:32 PM   #1249
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

Meanwhile, on site, nothing has happened for days now. The third span is still sitting on top of the first. Apparently ILNY was right about the north rail being busted. I haven't seen them working on it, but you can't really get a clean angle anywhere.
j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2014, 12:33 AM   #1250
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

The site is still dormant. They were making such good progress for a while there...

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

ILNY liked this post
Old March 26th, 2014, 12:36 AM   #1251
thejacko5
SSC Addict

Likes (Received): 401

they have to disassembly the TPP at this time.

They will set the completed girder in place of the TPP after it is removed, they they will receive the next sections and build the new girder on top of the placed girder.

j-biz, solgoldberg liked this post
thejacko5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2014, 04:49 PM   #1252
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Thanks jacko, your expertise is always appreciated!

What does TPP stand for, though?
Old March 26th, 2014, 08:17 PM   #1253
thejacko5
SSC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-biz View Post
Thanks jacko, your expertise is always appreciated!

What does TPP stand for, though?
temporary protection platform.

it should be disassembled by tomorrow.

Kanto, The Engineer liked this post
Old March 30th, 2014, 06:07 PM   #1254
thejacko5
SSC Addict

They set the third span in place of the TPP.

new sections on site.
Old March 30th, 2014, 06:14 PM   #1255
Simfan34
Complainer-in-Chief

Likes (Received): 2461

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
West Side demands for housing, public space test mayor’s planning pledge - Feb 23
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Community board demands Manhattan West project include binding commitment to affordable apartments and 24/7 plazas
http://www.thenewyorkworld.com/2014/...anhattan-west/
"This is Chelsea"? That is certainly not Chelsea!
Old March 30th, 2014, 08:59 PM   #1256
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

what is the most amazing about these meetings are that there is to much ado about nothing. developer is building something that will allow a huge HOLE in the ground in a 100% industrial, rundown and almost all of it slums neighborhood to have a park, a public space, a little bit of green and so much more that I am not even going to discuss it. So IMHO they should get on their knees and sing halleluiah to these guys. instead they piss and moan and bitch about something they don't own or have no way or means whatsoever to make any better.

today it is an open sub level pit of huge size with trains there. a train depot basically. public have no excess to this area AT ALL due to the fact that it is 60 feet below ground and it is nothing there besides train tracks and trains. what they are going to see there eventually is a platform with huge park that will be open to anyone.

sometimes I think that someone from the developer side should tell all these freeloaders to shut their mouths and get lost. pardon me for the language, but this is just pure bs.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

citybooster, Kanto, xXFallenXx liked this post
Old March 31st, 2014, 08:16 AM   #1257
citybooster

Just as bad as those developers and politicians who would run roughshod through a neighborhood for money and prestige are NIMBYs who don't know a good thing hen they see it and only see their own parochial concerns. So nothing gets done and they still get screwed but it's self inflicted. Like you said Brookfield is going to do a lot for the neighborhood... perhaps they come to an amicable agreement if they really wanted to mitigate the impact of closing the public spaces... especially on weekends or nice weather 1am seems way too early. Other than that, they are getting affordable apartments... as great as HY will be for their retail, culture and public parks and plaza are they going to get that in the first phase? Brookfield is doing an architectural wonder, and 5-10 years from now people will be absolutely loving it if the NIMBY's are properly smacked down in their whining and complaints.

JohnFlint1985, Kanto liked this post
Old March 31st, 2014, 07:58 PM   #1258
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybooster View Post
Just as bad as those developers and politicians who would run roughshod through a neighborhood for money and prestige are NIMBYs who don't know a good thing hen they see it and only see their own parochial concerns. So nothing gets done and they still get screwed but it's self inflicted. Like you said Brookfield is going to do a lot for the neighborhood... perhaps they come to an amicable agreement if they really wanted to mitigate the impact of closing the public spaces... especially on weekends or nice weather 1am seems way too early. Other than that, they are getting affordable apartments... as great as HY will be for their retail, culture and public parks and plaza are they going to get that in the first phase? Brookfield is doing an architectural wonder, and 5-10 years from now people will be absolutely loving it if the NIMBY's are properly smacked down in their whining and complaints.

it looks like they are upset simply because of traffic concerns which is worse now since part of the street is closed. and this is not just one or two blocks, but rather all around due to the gigantic scale of all the Hudson yards development. roads are pretty bad - huge holes in it due to winter and construction vehicles. it is very dusty since there is an open pit and cement works... so there is some ground for being upset about living conditions in this place. but the point is - these conditions were not any much better to begin with. the area was a dump. pure and simple. it was filled with questionable hotels with pimps and prostitutes. warehouses and falling apart old 3-4 stories buildings.

the fact today is that literally whatever the developer will propose for the area - it is an instant improvement, since almost nothing worthy was/is there as of today. and in this case developer proposes a very nice improvement. so they should shut their mouths and just wait a little bit for their life to become much better for free and without any effort from their side.

I literally can't stand these "concerned public" meetings with groans over "my favorite smelly dump yard is going to be cleaned away"

Old March 31st, 2014, 08:28 PM   #1259
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

OK, I've worked in the area for almost 4 years and I can tell you it's not that bad. Coach, AP, and Javitz keep a steady stream of upstanding citizens milling about. But obviously I agree that these people need to seriously think about what exactly they're trying to save.

As reported by Jacko, the plagued third span has been placed. It also looks like they've moved the jacks over from the temporary platform, so hopefully they can start assembling the next span while they're doing repairs elsewhere.

citybooster, solgoldberg liked this post
Old April 1st, 2014, 04:38 AM   #1260
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-biz View Post
OK, I've worked in the area for almost 4 years and I can tell you it's not that bad. Coach, AP, and Javitz keep a steady stream of upstanding citizens milling about. But obviously I agree that these people need to seriously think about what exactly they're trying to save.

As reported by Jacko, the plagued third span has been placed. It also looks like they've moved the jacks over from the temporary platform, so hopefully they can start assembling the next span while they're doing repairs elsewhere.
lets put it this way - it is one of the few left bad and neglected neighborhoods in Manhattan. Despite the Javitz it is a pretty depressive area in general. With train depots and exit/entrance to Lincoln Tunnel it looks like a forgotten corner. So IMHO any development there, even if it is a complete disappointment to us - lovers of true architecture, will still be an improvement. And by all accounts what is being built there and will be built in the next 30 years or so is on a much grander scale than I was expecting. Parks, public spaces, restaurants, luxury living, Highline park and all its bonanza, high end offices and world renown companies - this neighborhood will see a jump from level 3-4 to level 9 in a 10 point scale of luxury. 10 being the top. So people have nothing to complain about other than their own deficiencies.

streetscapeer liked this post

Tags
1 manhattan west, 2 manhattan west, 3 manhattan west, 4 manhattan west, 5 manhattan west, brookfield manhattan west, new york, north tower, supertall