daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 15th, 2014, 08:35 AM   #1281
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10273

Quote:
Originally Posted by solgoldberg View Post
Sounds like, according to quote from the WSJ. WSJ is behind a paywall, so all I've read is what is in the quote regarding large floors:

"many tech firms prefer because—like trading floors—they promote open communication and collaboration."

Note that current google NY HQ is the original, way-back, PANYNJ HQ AND the St. Johns terminal was the southern terminus of the NY Central's High Line railroad.
Here are the more interesting bits about it:
Quote:

The Internet firm has been in discussions with several landlords about leasing at much as 600,000 square feet in Manhattan—about half the size of the Chrysler Building. A space that large would represent a roughly 80% expansion for the company, which first established a small outpost in New York in 2000.

The expansion options include 450 West 33rd St., a bulky 16-story building on 10th Avenue that used to house the New York Daily News, and the St. John's Terminal Building, a former freight rail terminal at 550 Washington St. by the West Side Highway in the West Village, people said. The company doesn't appear to be close to making a decision, and it is unlikely all of it would be occupied at once. Many tech companies have started leasing more space than they need in anticipation of growth.

If Google ultimately leases multiple hundreds of thousands of additional square feet, it would be one of the largest corporate expansions in New York in years. A company typically puts about 500 employees in every 100,000 square feet it leases.
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...?mg=reno64-wsj

Looks like Brookfield isn't what they are looking for in a building. 600,000 square feet and they want a 16-story building? Pennypinchers!

Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 23rd, 2014, 06:12 PM   #1282
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Law Firm Skadden Arps heading to the Hudson Yards??
http://nypost.com/2014/04/23/eataly-...-trade-center/

Quote:
Legal behemoth Skadden Arps, which was a pioneering tenant at the Durst Organization’s 4 Times Square, is looking to another game-changing neighborhood.

Despite efforts to lure it downtown, the law firm wants to stay in Midtown, sources said. The hunt for space, handled by Peter Riguardi and Ken Siegal of JLL, has led it to the upcoming Hudson Yards area.

While The Post’s Steve Cuozzo has previously reported on Skadden’s search, we hear the team is focusing on 3 Hudson Boulevard and Manhattan West.

In both cases, Skadden would become the anchor tenant with 550,000 to 600,000 square feet. Of that total, 50,000 square feet is for back-office functions that could be moved to a lower-priced alternative nearby.

Manhattan West is a multi-tower project along Ninth Avenue between 30th and 33rd streets being developed by Brookfield Properties with leasing through Cushman & Wakefield. The first 67-story tower will have 2 million square feet.

C&W has been offering 450 W. 33rd St., which will get new floor-to-ceiling greenhouse-like windows, as the back-office alternative.

Hudson Boulevard is a 1.89 million-square-foot tower proposed by Joseph Moinian at the northeast corner of Eleventh Avenue and 34th Street being leased through Avison Young.

The law firm is said to be tired of Times Square, where it moved before it became gridlocked with pedestrians. Even if Skadden remained, the firm faced a disruptive restacking to get freshened and technologically updated office space.

Durst is also beginning to ask $80 to $90 per square foot, and Skadden believes it can get a better deal to anchor a new building and get early leasing lower taxes, just as they did when they signed their 20-year lease in 1996. That lease does not end until May 2020 but requires a 24-month notice to renew for five years.
This is a scenario where 450 West 33rd comes into play for a prospective tenant ideally for Brookfiled Manhattan West project.

A company such as Skadden would lease 600k sf in a new tower and could lease the remaining 50k sf at 450W33rd street for some savings.

Quote:
In both cases, Skadden would become the anchor tenant with 550,000 to 600,000 square feet. Of that total, 50,000 square feet is for back-office functions that could be moved to a lower-priced alternative nearby.

citybooster, j-biz, lotec, Funkyskunk2 liked this post

Last edited by Vertical_Gotham; April 23rd, 2014 at 06:25 PM.
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2014, 09:24 PM   #1283
Funkyskunk2

Likes (Received): 808

How are the sections brought to the site? Is it by train or truck? I saw three of these things headed north on rt 1 here near New Brunswick. I doubt they were for an overpass or something since they are so tall and they looked just like these.
Funkyskunk2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2014, 04:55 AM   #1284
thejacko5
SSC Addict

Likes (Received): 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkyskunk2 View Post
How are the sections brought to the site? Is it by train or truck? I saw three of these things headed north on rt 1 here near New Brunswick. I doubt they were for an overpass or something since they are so tall and they looked just like these.
over the GWB at night.

Funkyskunk2 liked this post
thejacko5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2014, 01:00 AM   #1285
Vertical_Gotham

City okays Manhattan West zoning changes
http://www.rew-online.com/2014/04/30...oning-changes/

Quote:
Brookfield Office Properties Inc. announced that the New York City Council approved the zoning changes proposed for Manhattan West, the mixed-use community the company is building in the Hudson Yards district.

The development will expand its open space from one acre to two acres, doubling in its original size. Yesterday’s (Tuesday) vote was the final step, as the plan has already been approved by the Community Board 4, City Planning Commission, City Council Zoning & Franchises Subcommittee, Land Use Committee and the full City Council.

Designed by Field Operations, the architects behind the High Line, Manhattan West’s open area will feature an arts and events space and will ultimately create a pedestrian-friendly public park for future office tenants, visitors and residents of Manhattan West. In addition, the adjacent office building at 450 West 33rd Street, now known as Five Manhattan West, is undergoing a modernization program that includes exterior re-cladding and interior renovation.

City Councilman Corey Johnson, who represents Manhattan West’s neighborhood said, “I was thrilled to be able to support the Brookfield text amendment that the Council voted to approve unanimously earlier today. This project brings two acres of vibrant open space that is sorely needed to this community, which will include world-class free and public arts and events programming by Brookfield.”

“These new changes will make this a better project with more open space and amenities that the entire community can enjoy. This is exactly the kind of economic development that we need in the city. A project that creates jobs, builds a beautiful neighborhood and improves neighboring communities,” said Councilman David G. Greenfield, Chair, Land Use Committee, New York City Council.

The five-acre Manhattan West campus will include two new premium-grade office towers, a luxury residential tower, a boutique five-star hotel, retail and a two-acre park. Located steps away from the High Line, it also will feature health and fitness facilities, rooftop gardens and multiple restaurants and cafes.

The $4.5-billion Manhattan West project will feature stunning views of the city and the Hudson River, located one block west of Penn Station and across the street from the new Moynihan Station.

Eric Offereins liked this post
Old May 1st, 2014, 01:20 AM   #1286
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Could more open space possibly squeeze one of the towers to being taller?
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2014, 04:05 AM   #1287
Xoltage
Xoltage

Likes (Received): 595

Interesting, I see what it looks like a stock price at the base of the building as if the glass will have OLED technology.
Xoltage no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2014, 04:10 AM   #1288
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

The place looks nice and modern.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2014, 01:40 PM   #1289
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Could more open space possibly squeeze one of the towers to being taller?
I don't see any need for more public psace around these towers.

I like this new render. Nice open lobby's, elegant design.
Eric Offereins está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2014, 10:15 PM   #1290
Funkyskunk2

Likes (Received): 808

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Offereins View Post

I like this new render. Nice open lobby's, elegant design.
FYI the render is a about a month old, you can see others here:

http://newyorkyimby.com/2014/03/new-...tan-west.html#

Eric Offereins liked this post
Funkyskunk2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2014, 10:28 PM   #1291
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Offereins View Post
I'm with you. These plazas as currently pictured make me less than ecstatic from an urban planning/density standpoint.
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2014, 08:12 PM   #1292
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

For posterity's sake, I snapped a photo of the MW site yesterday. The completed fourth span is sitting atop the first or second span, with a bunch of crap piled on top of it. It's depressing.

j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2014, 10:24 PM   #1293
thejacko5
SSC Addict

Likes (Received): 401

those girders are on top of the beam to try and take camber out of it. when they tension the ties, it puts camber in the precast. they used to use other precast sections to do this. I think there are photos of it.

j-biz, The Engineer, solgoldberg, ILNY liked this post
thejacko5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2014, 10:23 PM   #1294
mmkkk

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejacko5 View Post
those girders are on top of the beam to try and take camber out of it. when they tension the ties, it puts camber in the precast. they used to use other precast sections to do this. I think there are photos of it.
This makes sense, although I have never seen a precast segmwntal bridge where this has been done. Could the fact that the segments have been in storage for a year have anything to do with it? I thought the girders were from the temporary platform.

In 4 months, they have placed only 3 spans. This is not good progress.
mmkkk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 05:24 PM   #1295
Vertical_Gotham

The Breezeway @ 5 Manhattan West

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)

citybooster, Eric Offereins, j-biz liked this post
Old May 8th, 2014, 10:44 PM   #1296
solgoldberg

Likes (Received): 866

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
The Breezeway @ 5 Manhattan West
Thanks, nice looking.

But the reality of the constructed (the residential tower on 30th) or under-construction buildings (10 HY) west of 450 W 33rd will definitely impact the view looking towards Jersey/Weehawken...

Last edited by solgoldberg; May 9th, 2014 at 12:15 AM.
solgoldberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 01:41 AM   #1297
towerpower123
Let's Revive our Cities

Likes (Received): 4181

Will that be publicly accessible or just for a priceless restaurant?

186 Newark, NJ Development projects MAPPED
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1874870
http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot....l?view=sidebar

See my DeviantArt account at http://towerpower123.deviantart.com/
towerpower123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 06:54 AM   #1298
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

Quote:
Originally Posted by towerpower123 View Post
Will that be publicly accessible or just for a priceless restaurant?
It should be publicly accessible. The plan is for the plaza between the MW towers to extend over Dyer Ave, and flow directly into the Breezeway. There will be a small landing on the southwest corner of 450 W 33rd St and a staircase down to street level. At least in theory.
j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 08:54 AM   #1299
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3587

They really ought to connect that to the High Line spur.

solgoldberg liked this post
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 02:31 PM   #1300
Vertical_Gotham

agree, they really should. It would really tie up everything with Manhattan West being the gateway to the Hudson Yards connecting through Frank McCourts 360 10th and finally to the High Line Spur without ever going down to street level.

Here's another view of the Breezeway @ 5 Manhattan West

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)

ILNY, solgoldberg liked this post

Last edited by Vertical_Gotham; May 9th, 2014 at 02:53 PM.

Tags
1 manhattan west, 2 manhattan west, 3 manhattan west, 4 manhattan west, 5 manhattan west, brookfield manhattan west, new york, north tower, supertall