daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 15th, 2014, 07:34 AM   #1321
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22533

those models are old seeing as they have Brookfield's railyard redevelopment master plan.
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 15th, 2014, 08:00 AM   #1322
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
those models are old seeing as they have Brookfield's railyard redevelopment master plan.
Don't know about those models but the renderings in the monitor displays are not old. Most notably is the rendering of 5 Manhattan West (450W33) clad in glass which had been revealed no to long ago. This marketing suite set up that they have must be fairly recent.

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2014, 08:32 AM   #1323
Funkyskunk2

Likes (Received): 808

I wish they would incorporate that swooshy thing they had between the buildings at HY with Manhattan West. Anything to make the place slightly interesting.

Edit, I got it mixed up.

This is the old hy one. Now realizing they had two sculptures gives me hope they will do it again.

Vertical_Gotham liked this post
Funkyskunk2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2014, 03:45 PM   #1324
solgoldberg

Likes (Received): 866

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
Don't know about those models but the renderings in the monitor displays are not old. Most notably is the rendering of 5 Manhattan West (450W33) clad in glass which had been revealed no to long ago. This marketing suite set up that they have must be fairly recent.
I like the models.

hardcore shutterbug captured a reality of the Brookfield Manhattan West area in an oblique view from the Ohm building May 12th:

hardcore shutterbug/flickr View from the Ohm, NYC (13)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/hardco...g/14180842214/
full res here: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7408/...3c5c2a81_k.jpg

hardcore shutterbug's view also provides a visual reminder that a Manhattan street (31st to 30th street) separates the "High Line at the Rail Yards" 10th Ave spur from the SW corner/terminus of the future Manhattan West walkway/"Breezeway". Maybe a pedestrian bridge suspended from the smokestack ["360 W 10th Ave"] could connect the two...

Note: we no longer have j-biz in the office building next to the smokestack. Anybody know anybody in the AP HQ building/450W 33rd/5 Manhattan West?

iamtheSTIG, Vertical_Gotham liked this post

Last edited by solgoldberg; May 15th, 2014 at 06:03 PM.
solgoldberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2014, 09:05 PM   #1325
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

They need to go back to the drawing board on the towers. They are awfully uninspired. Shame on all involved for leaving design as a mere afterthought. Also, I also think it's a travesty they are keeping that pyramidal building. Even with the reclad, it is a clunky and awkward looking monstrosity. It needs to go on a date with a wrecking ball.

Funkyskunk2 liked this post
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2014, 09:46 PM   #1326
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3587

I'm with you that the towers are a bore, although I'm not yet totally convinced these are representative of the final design. They're identical to what have been described as massing models for years, so I'm hoping (against all hope, maybe) that the reason we haven't seen something inspired is merely because they're still honing what will ultimately be built.

As for the AP building, whether you like it or not (I appreciate it as a piece of Brutalist history, even if I don't find it particularly appealing), it's one of the highest-earning office spaces in the city. Total non-starter to suggest tearing it down, costing the landlords tens or hundreds of millions of dollars in rent and displacing their tenants, simply for aesthetic reasons. The re-clad is as fair a compromise as we could expect.

citybooster liked this post
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2014, 10:09 PM   #1327
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

I believe it was NYGuy at SSP who made a comment to the effect that it's probably a good thing to have a few large but simple buildings in the area. I think I'm starting to agree. Whether you like them or not, the HY towers are anything but ordinary. Too much "sculptural" architecture might give the whole district a garish feel. These massive but boxy towers will help shape out the neighborhood, but also give it some visual balance.

At least that's what I'm telling myself.
Old May 15th, 2014, 10:17 PM   #1328
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3587

Yeah, I actually think Related's part of the HY has too much "look at me" architecture, which is why I'm happy we'll probably get some more subdued stuff in Phase II and at 50/55 HY. I just think these MW towers are so dull, I'd like to see some kind of articulation, maybe in the crowns, maybe just something to break up the monotony of the cladding.
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2014, 04:53 PM   #1329
jconyc

Likes (Received): 168

I can kind of surprised that they didn't take down 424-434 33rd.
Seems like this would have given a lot more flexibility in design.
Anyone know the story there?
jconyc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2014, 05:33 PM   #1330
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

The only story I know about that building is that a construction worker recently fell off the roof and died.

City Halts Work At Building Where Worker Fell To His Death
j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2014, 06:28 PM   #1331
Vertical_Gotham

yea I heard about that.

Re: 424 W 33rd

If Brookfield owned 424 W. 33rd, I’m sure they would as it is owned by another entity. It seems it had undergone interior renovation and I’m sure there are companies with 10 year leases in it. Maybe eventually Brookfield will offer to buy it but that could be waay down the road. It’s not that bad of a building but it will look out of place within MW development. If I were Brookfield I’d throw $ to re clad the building ala 5 Manhattan West and call it as an investment for the sake of cohesion within the development.

424W.33 website:
http://www.newmarkkf.com/espace/424w33/

Recently, the Port Authority has decided to sell a plot that is part of Dwyer Avenue and a developer can build a platform over it. Currently the PA is accepting bids at the moment. There is talk Brookfield may bid for it to make it as an extension to the Manhattan West campus.

I'd also hope that one day the post office sells that block long Morgan Station since the USPS has been losing money.

Last edited by Vertical_Gotham; May 19th, 2014 at 07:07 PM.
Old May 16th, 2014, 06:58 PM   #1332
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm..... so much space available for potentially more future projects. I thought Brookfield was only intending three main buildings(outside of the to be glass re-clad 5 Manhattan West across the street)... what's eventually intended for going into the Brookfield 5 site? 1.8 mil square feet is very sizable depending on how fat/ skinny a tower they want to put there.
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2014, 07:08 PM   #1333
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22533

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybooster
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm..... so much space available for potentially more future projects. I thought Brookfield was only intending three main buildings(outside of the to be glass re-clad 5 Manhattan West across the street)... what's eventually intended for going into the Brookfield 5 site? 1.8 mil square feet is very sizable depending on how fat/ skinny a tower they want to put there.
Brookfield 5 = 5 Manhattan West so due to the extensive renovation I don't think it will be redeveloped within the lifetime of most people who frequent this website.
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2014, 07:18 PM   #1334
citybooster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
Brookfield 5 = 5 Manhattan West so due to the extensive renovation I don't think it will be redeveloped within the lifetime of most people who frequent this website.
I'm sorry, my mistake.... that to be glass re-clad 16 story building has room for 1.8 mil square ft? WOW...... amazing for its size!
Old May 16th, 2014, 07:38 PM   #1335
NanoMini
Wat's price of the earth?

Likes (Received): 2533

It's a long time to see this project, however it's fast. I always see all project progressions fastly if I don't frequently follow them.
NanoMini no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2014, 08:21 PM   #1336
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybooster View Post
I'm sorry, my mistake.... that to be glass re-clad 16 story building has room for 1.8 mil square ft? WOW...... amazing for its size!
Each floor is 100k continuous square feet. One of very few buildings in Manhattan that can make that claim.

MarshallKnight liked this post
j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2014, 10:37 PM   #1337
citybooster

That's a good reason NOT to demolish it.... just too much valuable floorage as is. Best to reclad it with glass, and how Brookfield renders how it wants to do it this building while certainly has looked bad will now be pretty damn nice. A better job than anyone could rightly have expected!
Old May 17th, 2014, 02:48 AM   #1338
solgoldberg

Likes (Received): 866

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
yea I heard about that.

Re: 424 W 33rd

If Brookfield owned 424 W. 33rd, I’m sure they would as it is owned by another entity. It seems it had undergone interior renovation and I’m sure there are companies with 10 year leases in it. Maybe eventually Brookfield will offer to buy it but that could be waay down the road. It’s not that bad of a building but it will look out of place within MW development. If I were Brookfield I’d throw $ to re clad the building ala 5 Manhattan West and call it as an investment for the sake of cohesion within the development.

424W.33 website:
http://www.newmarkkf.com/espace/424w33/

Recently, the Port Authority has decided to sell a plot that is part of Dwyer Avenue and a developer can build a platform over it. Currently the PA is accepting bids at the moment. There is talk Brookfield may bid for it to make it as an extension to the Manhattan West campus.

I'd also hope that one day the post office sells that block long Morgan Station since the USPS has been losing money.
Interesting diagram, it shows Penn Station Central Control, 400W 31st St (SW corner of 9th & 31st) as "old bldg".

Anybody know what the source of this diagram is?

This link to a (19)94 article on the new PSCC gives a hint/flavor of the past rocky relationship between Amtrak & the MTA/LIRR. This past relationship is one of the reasons I'm impressed that "things are getting done" now in all of this Hudson Yards/West Side Storage Yard overbuild, Penn Station West End Concourse/"Moynihan Station", Manhattan West construction/development...
http://www.nytimes.com/1994/06/03/ny...on-trains.html

And then the PA(NYNJ) gets involved...

Funkyskunk2, Vertical_Gotham liked this post
solgoldberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2014, 02:54 AM   #1339
Funkyskunk2

Likes (Received): 808

Pretty sure VG is making those diagrams for us. Speaking of which, VG I believe you had West and East mixed up for 514.

Vertical_Gotham liked this post
Funkyskunk2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2014, 07:09 PM   #1340
Vertical_Gotham

LOL funky! That’s embarrassing getting my East and West all mixed up . I’ll post a new version for 514 and I think ur gonna like it.

Hint. I will not have to do East and West.

Hey Solgo, yes its my map and thanks for pointing it out in regard to that Penn Station central control building. It’s in fact not that old and I updated my map above.

Tags
1 manhattan west, 2 manhattan west, 3 manhattan west, 4 manhattan west, 5 manhattan west, brookfield manhattan west, new york, north tower, supertall