daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 21st, 2014, 10:55 PM   #1421
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

Aren't there supposed to be two office towers plus the residential and a smaller , possibly mid rise hotel? I do think though the speculation of it being the larger office tower, 1 Manhattan West is spot on, and the possibility seems to exist Brookfield buys out Skadden's remaining years in its current location should the tower be ready... maybe a 2016 groundbreaking and 2018 or 2019 completion date? The residential tower is supposed to be the first building scheduled to go up if I remember correctly?

Anyway, this is GREAT news because Manhattan West can grow faster than had been previously believed with all the attention on the Hudson Yards area office towers.

Vertical_Gotham liked this post
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 22nd, 2014, 06:00 AM   #1422
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybooster View Post
Brookfield buys out Skadden's remaining years in its current location should the tower be ready... maybe a 2016 groundbreaking and 2018 or 2019 completion date? The residential tower is supposed to be the first building scheduled to go up if I remember correctly?

Anyway, this is GREAT news because Manhattan West can grow faster than had been previously believed with all the attention on the Hudson Yards area office towers.
Yep, that's how it's going to play out. Not a bad deal for Skadden eh? It's a win win for both parties.

The biggest winner obviously is Brookfield. This news gives Manhattan West the initiative and momentum and a positive outlook for the whole shebang. Rightfully so, many people has picked Brookfield last fighting for the scraps for tenants between all the developments when it's all said and done. This news is certainly a game changer for them.

IMO, the other projects does not need Skadden at this point of time as much as Brookfield needs Skadden. Does that make sense?? The other players developments asfaic are far superior products & more desirable location wise.

Although I wished Skadden picked the more glamorous towers like 3 HB or the Spire, this is still great news for the whole Hudson Yards Development.

Manhattan West is finally getting the ball rolling and now has certain things going for them. First the redevelopment of 450 w 33rd is going on, then the start of both the residential and now MW tower 2 to soon go online as soon as the platform is completed. Possibly the hotel starts somewhere in that time line now.

So with this kind of activity for Manhattan West bodes really well for the 2nd MW tower (Tower 1) psychologically as it would help make the decision easily for a company to commit to anchor the 2nd office tower. They can now visualize a finished product and at the same time be the instrumental piece that would complete the whole campus.

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)

citybooster liked this post

Last edited by Vertical_Gotham; August 22nd, 2014 at 06:08 AM.
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2014, 07:01 PM   #1423
TonyNYC

Likes (Received): 31

Robert Walpole..stressed a year or so ago that Manhattan West was going to have a difficult time finding major tenants with the likes of the far superior competition in the Hudson yards and the Girasole.

I disagreed...I thought Manhattan West's closer location to Penn Station, the ongoing build out of the Farley Station (old Post office) and multiple subway lines, A, C, E, 1,2,3 & 9 trains made it a far more desirable location..eventhough Brookfield wasn't going to be able to compete dollar for dollar with the tax abatements over at the Yards.

Great to hear that Skadden Arps felt the same way...picking Manhattan West over the Hudson Yards, Girasole, Hudson Spire and the WTC.

Here comes another possible supertall...NYC IS SMOKIN HOT!!!

spectre000, msquaredb liked this post
TonyNYC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2014, 09:25 PM   #1424
LondoniumLex
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2064

Lois Weiss says that the NYDN article is BS:

https://mobile.twitter.com/LoisWeiss...46187702894593

Hudson11 liked this post
LondoniumLex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2014, 09:44 PM   #1425
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyNYC View Post

Great to hear that Skadden Arps felt the same way...picking Manhattan West over the Hudson Yards, Girasole, Hudson Spire and the WTC.

Here comes another possible supertall...NYC IS SMOKIN HOT!!!
Yeah, I wasn't betting against Brookfield either. They're huge players in the city's market. They've been filling up the former WFC towers very well too.

I'd prefer they had gone to the WTC myself. But glad to see these buildings moving forward.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2014, 09:50 PM   #1426
Vertical_Gotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondoniumLex View Post
Lois Weiss says that the NYDN article is BS:

https://mobile.twitter.com/LoisWeiss...46187702894593
yea I saw that! That's the problem with sources! Now it's a question of who's source is right.

----------------

Yimby touches up on it as well.

YIMBY Today: Confusion at Manhattan West, Fort George Site Kicks Off, More
http://newyorkyimby.com/2014/08/yimb...-off-more.html

Quote:
Manhattan West: While the NY Daily News reported that Skadden had signed on for Brookfield’s Manhattan West project, Lois Weiss of the NY Post has taken to Twitter to refute the claim, noting that the story is “exclusively not true.” Details are pending, but regardless of any “inked letter of intent” on the part of Skadden, the site’s office towers will not start rising until 2015, at the earliest.

Old August 22nd, 2014, 09:51 PM   #1427
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22562

trust the post more than the daily news, but we'll see what happens.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2014, 09:51 PM   #1428
Vertical_Gotham

Agree

Old August 22nd, 2014, 10:47 PM   #1429
babybackribs2314

Likes (Received): 545

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
yea I saw that! That's the problem with sources! Now it's a question of who's source is right.

----------------

Yimby touches up on it as well.

YIMBY Today: Confusion at Manhattan West, Fort George Site Kicks Off, More
http://newyorkyimby.com/2014/08/yimb...-off-more.html
Lois is correct, and the NYDN is sh*t.

& follow YIMBY on Twitter! New York YIMBY Twitter

Hudson11, Vertical_Gotham, Tubeworm liked this post
babybackribs2314 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2014, 10:58 PM   #1430
solgoldberg

Likes (Received): 866

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybackribs2314 View Post
Lois is correct, and the NYDN is sh*t.
Boy! NYDN lower than NYPost!
NOTE: I'm assuming NYPost is higher than sh*t.
What is the world coming to?

Dunno if this is really new, but MW's twitter & FB accounts posted links to MW "Vision" video two days ago.

MW Vision is a 2:52 video: "5 star boutique hotel", "connectivity to the High Line", kawfee, skateboards, yada yada:

http://manhattanwestnyc.com/content/vision-29558.html
"Connectivity to the High Line" ~ 2:06 mark

Last edited by solgoldberg; August 22nd, 2014 at 11:11 PM.
solgoldberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2014, 07:12 AM   #1431
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

They're both rags if you ask me. I'm disappointed nonetheless.

solgoldberg liked this post
j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2014, 07:27 AM   #1432
Tubeworm

Likes (Received): 29

Indeed. Crain's is now piggy-backing off of The Daily:

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...to-go-far-west

I'd think they would confirm with sources before publishing, but it appears Crain's is losing credibility now, too. (The again, it was posted on their rinky dink blog channel, which is accessed under the "Opinions" tab )
Tubeworm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2014, 03:43 PM   #1433
LondoniumLex
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2064

Since this site, to my knowledge, does not qualify for the tax breaks that the nearby sites in the HY do, the rents will be more expensive. Thus, it will be more difficult to rent.
LondoniumLex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2014, 05:05 PM   #1434
solgoldberg

Follow the money

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondoniumLex View Post
Since this site, to my knowledge, does not qualify for the tax breaks that the nearby sites in the HY do, the rents will be more expensive. Thus, it will be more difficult to rent.
This China Daily article gives a taste of some of the financing from China, quantity/% unknown:

"green cards for cash"
EB-5 backs big NYC project
2014-08-22 16:41 China Daily Web Editor: Qian Ruisha

Quote:
Now, as a surge in demand from wealthy Chinese for the green cards for cash offer is threatening to overwhelm the program, EB-5 money from China is behind what's being billed as the largest private real estate development in the history of the United States and the largest development in New York City since Rockefeller Center - Related Companies' Hudson Yards.
New York City developers have been utilizing the EB-5 program for a while, as sourcing cheap debt from foreign markets is becoming ever-more popular and developers try to establish their own programs to fund new projects.
http://www.ecns.cn/business/2014/08-22/131104.shtml

And the author throws in a lo-res photo looking south from 10 Hudson Yards (probably from the 8.20.2014 media tour):

"10 Hudson Yards, a building currently under construction to be
completed in 2015 overlooks the Freedom Tower and downtown
Manhattan, at the $1.2 billion Hudson Yards project.
Elizabeth Wu / for China Daily"

Last edited by solgoldberg; August 23rd, 2014 at 05:14 PM.
Old August 23rd, 2014, 05:20 PM   #1435
solgoldberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-biz View Post
They're both rags if you ask me. I'm disappointed nonetheless.
My 79-year old neighbor brings the NYPost & NY Daily News home, maybe from job sites or he actually might pay for them. Reading them doesn't take long and they are "interesting" trips down a rabbit hole to different realities.
Old August 25th, 2014, 11:03 PM   #1436
RegentHouse
City Development Shitlord

Likes (Received): 771

So, which design is the latest?

RegentHouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2014, 12:24 AM   #1437
solgoldberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegentHouse View Post
So, which design is the latest?
Dunno.

NYYIMBY has a blurb today on MW's New Look:
http://newyorkyimby.com/2014/08/new-...ttan-west.html

Does anybody know what exactly this NYC DoB terminology (for 401 West 31 STREET," APPLICATION FILED FOR THE CONSTRUCTION OF A 64 STORY NEW BUILDING") mean?
Quote:
Last Action: PLAN EXAM - DISAPPROVED 07/21/2014 (J)
http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Jo...ssdocnumber=01

This is the associated Plot Diagram, so it's the residential tower:

NYC DoBhttp://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/BSCANJobDocumentContentServlet?passjobnumber=121185760&scancode=ES896179196

And just for the heck of it & to provide local NY, NY "Hudson Yards" area flavor, the sunlight visible in the ~center of my photo below will be significantly reduced when the MW platform is finished later this year:

Looking west from from western end of track/platform level of NY Penn Station, probably from the windows in the under-expansion/reconstruction West End Concourse. WEC is under the eastern end of the Farley Post Office, one avenue east from Manhattan West.

Last edited by solgoldberg; August 26th, 2014 at 03:04 AM.
Old August 26th, 2014, 01:02 AM   #1438
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3591

Quote:
Originally Posted by solgoldberg View Post
Dunno.
NYYIMBY has a blurb today on MW's New Look:
http://newyorkyimby.com/2014/08/new-...ttan-west.html
Yeah as you mentioned further up the page, I don't think the video is actually new, unless it includes an updated render of the residential tower. The resi building is up to 64 floors from 60 previously; an extra 4 floors never hurt, but the current iteration is still painfully boring (and this is coming from the guy who's constantly advocating for more conservative designs for the Hudson Yards).

Yimby also mentioned the "connections to the High Line," but since there's not a lot of detail in that section of the video, I have to wonder what that actually means. An elevated connection to the spur would be ideal... but "connections" could be anything from a street level staircase to just the adjacency of the site.
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2014, 01:15 AM   #1439
RegentHouse
City Development Shitlord

Likes (Received): 771

Hmm, I didn't notice... The base facades look promising, but the change to the residential tower is more boring than ever.

RegentHouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2014, 02:10 AM   #1440
solgoldberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
Yeah as you mentioned further up the page, I don't think the video is actually new, unless it includes an updated render of the residential tower. The resi building is up to 64 floors from 60 previously; an extra 4 floors never hurt, but the current iteration is still painfully boring (and this is coming from the guy who's constantly advocating for more conservative designs for the Hudson Yards).

Yimby also mentioned the "connections to the High Line," but since there's not a lot of detail in that section of the video, I have to wonder what that actually means. An elevated connection to the spur would be ideal... but "connections" could be anything from a street level staircase to just the adjacency of the site.
Yeah.

Any idea what the NYC DoB terminology means: "Last Action: PLAN EXAM - DISAPPROVED 07/21/2014 (J)"

Tags
1 manhattan west, 2 manhattan west, 3 manhattan west, 4 manhattan west, 5 manhattan west, brookfield manhattan west, new york, north tower, supertall