daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 26th, 2014, 05:01 AM   #1441
sbarn

Likes (Received): 991

Quote:
Originally Posted by solgoldberg View Post
Yeah.

Any idea what the NYC DoB terminology means: "Last Action: PLAN EXAM - DISAPPROVED 07/21/2014 (J)"
Yes. "Disapproved" basically means it hasn't been approved yet. Generally you go through a series of Plan Exams with DOB Plan Examiners until the project is approved. Until the project has been "Approved", the status of the application is classified as "Disapproved". Hope that made sense.

Vertical_Gotham, solgoldberg liked this post
sbarn no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 26th, 2014, 05:15 AM   #1442
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
Yes. "Disapproved" basically means it hasn't been approved yet. Generally you go through a series of Plan Exams with DOB Plan Examiners until the project is approved. Until the project has been "Approved", the status of the application is classified as "Disapproved". Hope that made sense.
Yep. To touch up on it in greater detail, I believe the plan Examination for New Building application requires architectural drawings of structural, mechanical, architectural, zoning, elevations, plumbing etc., etc. for submission.

I had observed that this is a normal process for every new applications and they all faced multiple disapprovals before receiving it's approved designation. All very time consuming because it involves working with the architect and structural engineer and a Architect with Mechanical Engineer and so forth to complete each sections and get it right.

There is an extensive list of required documentation and when a plan is disapproved, it's usually the result of incomplete documentation or not fully answering everything required. So if that's the case there will be kickbacks that needs attention to be answered and/or completed and hopefully becomes satisfactory for the next examination.

The Nordstrom, Steinway etc., is still going through multiple re-examinations to hopefully get their respective approvals soon b4 going vertical.

The Verre and 220 CPS has gone through it number of times as well to finally punch through with their approvals.

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)

Last edited by Vertical_Gotham; August 26th, 2014 at 05:32 AM.
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2014, 05:28 AM   #1443
Vertical_Gotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
I don't think the video is actually new, unless it includes an updated render of the residential tower.
Yep, that video has been on MW website for quite some time already. First posted here inMay of this year. It's the best rendering of that residential that I like the most and hope this is what it will be more or less.

For the sake of Manhattan West it would be major if a connection is made directly to the highline spur. I hope they do it and I don't see why not? Thet Highline is not Related Cos project as it belongs to the NYC parks dept and if I were the parks dept I would connect MW with the rest of the Highline and the rest of the Hudson Yards.

Last edited by Vertical_Gotham; August 26th, 2014 at 06:12 AM.
Old August 26th, 2014, 06:22 AM   #1444
Tubeworm

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by solgoldberg View Post

Does anybody know what exactly this NYC DoB terminology (for 401 West 31 STREET," APPLICATION FILED FOR THE CONSTRUCTION OF A 64 STORY NEW BUILDING") mean?
http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Jo...ssdocnumber=01
They're trying to line up approvals to basically construct the residential tower (probably to begin as soon as the platform completes).

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Jo...r=01&restore=1

...was the initial "building" application, and followed were our SOE, foundation, structural work, plumbing & mechanical, "construction work" and structural superstructure.

I wouldn't worry about the "disapproval" -- that's just part of the process, and "pending" is a more accurate status for the construction applications. It also appears that construction plans are still being processed at the DoB (the disapproval status will then be amended).

Given Brookfield essentially filed for construction permits all the way back in May, that tells me they'd like to start ASAP on that residential tower (once they have the option to begin).
Tubeworm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2014, 09:13 PM   #1445
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

That video is several months old. Who could forget that ridiculously fanciful Moynihan Station entrance? Also, it clearly says "connectivity" to the Highline. There's no way there will be a direct link.
j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2014, 10:59 PM   #1446
solgoldberg

Likes (Received): 866

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-biz View Post
That video is several months old. Who could forget that ridiculously fanciful Moynihan Station entrance? Also, it clearly says "connectivity" to the Highline. There's no way there will be a direct link.
I remember commenting on "that ridiculously fanciful Moynihan Station entrance" wayback when...

Brookfield is trying to drum up tenants. IMHO this seems to be partly a game of musical chairs:

Manhattan Vacancies Rise in Epicenter Shift: Real Estate

By David M. Levitt Aug 20, 2014 10:40 AM ET
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-0...al-estate.html

Quote:
Buildings in Midtown, from 30th Street to Central Park South at 59th Street, have more vacant blocks of contiguous office space than at the height of the recession in 2009, as landlords face increased competition from buildings downtown and at Hudson Yards on the far west side, according to a study by Savills Studley Inc., a New York-based real estate brokerage.

JPMorgan Chase & Co., the biggest U.S. bank, is considering moving its headquarters at 270 Park Ave. to the World Trade Center or the far west side, though no decision is imminent, according to a person with knowledge of the matter.
solgoldberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2014, 03:16 PM   #1447
Vertical_Gotham

Skadden Arps relocation site is all rumors, no lease
http://nypost.com/2014/08/27/skadden...mors-no-lease/

[IMG]http://****************.wordpress.com/2014/08/2272_1800_120914_xfer1_868742411.jpg?w=720&h=480&crop=1[/IMG]

Quote:
Despite what you may have read elsewhere and heard repeated ad nauseam, pioneering law firm Skadden Arps has not signed a letter of intent or even fist bumped an agreement to move from Times Square to the first of Brookfield’s Manhattan West office buildings.

We heard this weeks ago, and confirmed on Tuesday that Skadden is still examining options that do include Manhattan West but also downtown buildings and even staying put.

Skadden moved to the top of the Durst Organization’s 4 Times Square when area was still in its grittier days. The lease signed in 1996 ends in May 2020, but its five-year renewal option requires a two-year notice. In other words, Skadden has another four big years to make up its mind about this already technologically outdated space.

Brookfield has been consistent in stating that if an anchor tenant signs this year, this first 67-story Manhattan West building on the southwest corner of Ninth Avenue and West 30th Street can be delivered in 2018. It could take another six months to a year to build out what would be roughly 500,000 square feet in the 2 million-square-foot tower.

Facing the loss of Skadden, it looks like Durst is now making a strong play to keep it so he won’t have the entire building up for grabs. Skadden would then rotate floors while they are all updated.

Four Times Square’s other major tenant, Condé Nast, is already moving to One World Trade Center, and the Port Authority will make up to five years of its remaining lease payments while Durst tries to find another tenant.

Skadden is represented by a team led by Jones Lang Lasalle’s tri-state president, Peter Riguardi, while the Brookfield-owned Manhattan West is represented by Bruce Mosler’s team at Cushman & Wakefield.

All of the parties, along with Durst and Skadden, declined to comment or failed to return requests for comment.

As we advised in April, when Skadden’s short list was either 3 Hudson Blvd. downtown or Manhattan West, Skadden needs about 50,000 square feet for back-office space. Brookfield has that in the nearby 450 W. 33rd St., which is undergoing a façade lift with larger glass windows and will be considered part of the Manhattan West campus.
Stay tuned as the space wars continue.

iamtheSTIG liked this post
Old August 27th, 2014, 03:26 PM   #1448
iamtheSTIG

Likes (Received): 4542

I really am just getting lost with this project! It seems to be all over the place!

Check out my Instagram

Nottingham Interactive Development Map

phoenixboi08, Vertical_Gotham liked this post
iamtheSTIG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2014, 04:12 PM   #1449
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 791

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtheSTIG View Post
I really am just getting lost with this project! It seems to be all over the place!
We really need sticky posts on the front of most of these threads to list updates. These can get easily lost over several pages in the actual thread itself.

iamtheSTIG liked this post
phoenixboi08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2014, 05:44 PM   #1450
solgoldberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtheSTIG View Post
You are not the only one.

IMHO, the facts are:

MW platform covering most of the NY Penn Station bathtub between Dyer Ave & 9th Ave should be completed by the end of 2014.

Brookfield is running paperwork thru the NYC DoB/etc. for approval to build the residential tower on the SW corner of the site.

Brookfield is looking for tenants (in a very competitive market) for the proposed commercial towers.

The threes sides of 450 W. 33rd street (aka 5 MW) with sidewalks already have STURDY sidewalk sheds constructed: the building will get a new curtain wall & I assume that breezeway on the 31st street side.

Note that it has been a beautiful summer in the NYC area and September is usually a good month weather-wise also. American English is commonly spoken in the NYC area & your tourist dollars are welcome. If you fly into JFK you can get a 2-seat mass transit rail ride to NY Penn station (Airtrain from JFK to LIRR Jamaica, LIRR to NY Penn), just one avenue east of the MW site.

j-biz liked this post
Old August 27th, 2014, 07:28 PM   #1451
Vertical_Gotham

Honestly, I hope Skadden picks 3 Hudson Blvd over Manhattan West.

I will say this.. As it has been reported in the past and in today's Post article, Skadden is looking to lease additional 50K sq ft for their back office operations. Manhattan West 450 W. 33rd gives that option that no other developments can offer should they anchor one of the Manhattan West towers.

However with that said, they could always lease the 500K + sq ft at 3 Hudson to anchor and still lease the back office space at 450 W 33rd. lol.

Old August 28th, 2014, 04:58 PM   #1452
LondoniumLex
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2064

I don't think that MW will find tenants any time soon. I would not be surprised if Related continues its roll and lands a tenant for 50 HY before, Tishman or Brookfield. (Moinian does not need a 1m sf tenant to begin construction, so if Ralph Lauren or Sotheby's leased 350k sf, that would be enough to start.)
LondoniumLex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2014, 01:50 AM   #1453
solgoldberg

NYT: walk underground from 7th to 9th... new office towers rising on the West Side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-biz View Post
Quote:
Long a favorite project of civic organizations, developers and politicians, a $1 billion proposal to create a grand annex to Pennsylvania Station, North America’s busiest transit hub, has often moved like a creaky locomotive since it was conceived nearly 25 years ago.
Under the proposal, Amtrak would move its ticketing, baggage operations and offices to the Farley building. It would also allow office workers to walk underground from Seventh Avenue to Ninth Avenue and the new office towers rising on the West Side.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/27/ny...nnex.html?_r=3

WT?? this from the NYT: The state’s Moynihan Station Development Corporation is overseeing the $300 million first phase of the project, which is expected to be completed next year.

Is 2016 "next year"?
Old August 30th, 2014, 12:01 AM   #1454
solgoldberg

Possible start of 5 MW reclad?

RobEss posted this over on SSP today:

RobEss http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=1263
Old August 30th, 2014, 07:47 PM   #1455
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28321

That would be great.

onewtclover liked this post
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2014, 07:16 PM   #1456
solgoldberg

"drill from 6pm to 2am" for 5 MW reclad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Offereins View Post
That would be great.
According to WestSideGuy @ SSP:

Quote:
They are installing what they call The Cocoon. Since Brookfield is planning to drill from 6pm to 2am, they need a way to stop the noise from preventing us who live in the vicinity from sleeping. Everything is suppose to be contained within the cocoon and should provide us with library quiet sleeps. We'll see!
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=1266

So I expect exterior demo to start in the next month or so...
Old September 2nd, 2014, 07:00 AM   #1457
ILNY

Likes (Received): 5312

Two more spans are ready.

Construction is moving forward.

Old September 3rd, 2014, 04:38 AM   #1458
Ivan the Immigrant
Ex user

Likes (Received): 2474

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILNY
What's that ??? Don't tell me they are going put tower together like lego bricks?
Ivan the Immigrant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2014, 05:00 AM   #1459
seb.nl

Likes (Received): 1280

Those are sections for the spire

tumbleweed_tx liked this post
seb.nl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2014, 05:06 AM   #1460
solgoldberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan the Immigrant View Post
What's that ??? Don't tell me they are going put tower together like lego bricks?
Yes, it's basically precast segmental post-tensioned concrete bridge construction. You're looking at the precast segments.

This US DoT manual has LOTS of detail:

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/bridge/const...s/hif13026.pdf

Ivan the Immigrant liked this post

Tags
1 manhattan west, 2 manhattan west, 3 manhattan west, 4 manhattan west, 5 manhattan west, brookfield manhattan west, new york, north tower, supertall