daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 2nd, 2015, 08:11 PM   #1721
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

Royal Rose alluded to this in another thread... Manhattan West's two office towers essentially are a classy, glassy, shorter version of the old Twin Towers. They're not the most creative designs possible but they've grown on me and definitely nonetheless will really look nice even if maybe more conservative than many wanted to see built.
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 2nd, 2015, 09:10 PM   #1722
Skylimitone
Tectonic

Likes (Received): 3323

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtheSTIG View Post
If the glass on these is anything like 50 West Street with the curves; these towers will look beautiful!
True.
Skylimitone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2015, 09:31 PM   #1723
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

These buildings look good, but they are very far from the beauty of the Twin Towers. They are far shorter and while their architectural design is good, it is very far from the architectural masterpiece of the WTC Twin Towers. But I say it again, they look good and in general I like them, just definitely not to the extent of the former WTC
Old May 2nd, 2015, 10:20 PM   #1724
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
These buildings look good, but they are very far from the beauty of the Twin Towers. They are far shorter and while their architectural design is good, it is very far from the architectural masterpiece of the WTC Twin Towers. But I say it again, they look good and in general I like them, just definitely not to the extent of the former WTC
They are a lot shorter but still pretty tall, tall enough to be significant twins in the city unlike the Time Warner Center (~750 feet). While nothing can replace the twin towers I think their facade and curvy shape will look amazing once completed.

Kanto liked this post
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2015, 10:26 PM   #1725
citybooster

Quote:
I respect your opinion, Kanto but just never felt the Twin Towers and the wind swept plaza around them... there were some nice touches like the tridents and Windows on the World was great and I do miss them in a nostalgic context...they were there and they did grow on me but they were just too cold and distant and I rather like the distinct four towers that will comprise the new WTC complex. I think the Brookfield towers have some WTC inspiration in them, just like the way they look together better though they are considerably shorter at just under 1,000ft.

Kanto, ploppalopp liked this post
Old May 2nd, 2015, 11:22 PM   #1726
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22566

just for the sake of it...

Old May 2nd, 2015, 11:48 PM   #1727
Kanto
Roof height crusader

As stated above, I like the Brookfield Twins, but they sure look very underwhelming next to the WTC Twins

optimusprimal1 liked this post
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2015, 01:25 AM   #1728
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
As stated above, I like the Brookfield Twins, but they sure look very underwhelming next to the WTC Twins
These aren't being built to replace the old WTC...

They do look tiny, but NY will have several buildings higher/almost as high as the original twins so these buildings are certainly alright by me.

citybooster, Kanto liked this post
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2015, 07:25 AM   #1729
citybooster

Well, tiny is relative just being under 1,000 ft each, lol... but I agree these towers have a nice place in the 21st century new New York City skyline!

Kanto liked this post
Old May 3rd, 2015, 08:33 AM   #1730
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

They're not the most exciting towers but I'm a fan!! A pair of supertalls and the design is nice. I particularly love the base and what this project will add for the public with their plaza. Brookfield is Brookfield and they are conservative and they are building 2 great looking commercial towers that will enhance the greater hudson yards.

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)

Kanto liked this post
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2015, 03:36 PM   #1731
solgoldberg

Likes (Received): 866

Current status of Manhattan West

Besides the construction fencing, construction noises, construction equipment and construction workers on the streets, this is what you see from the SE corner of 9th & 33rd.
The gate was open as I walked by, so you get to see an excavator-mounted hammer at work. The photo does not provide the noise backdrop, which was loud.

NOTE for those who haven't been to the MW/HY/High Line area recently: there is a TREMENDOUS amount of construction activity (and noise). BUT there are enough taverns nearby to seek shelter from the noise and libations.

May 1, 2015

Looking NW from 9th & 31st. White vehicles in foreground are Amtrak; building out-of-frame left is Amtrak's Penn Station Control Center, which controls the now unseen railroad switching in the 105+ year old bathtub of NY Penn Station (below MW)

Kanto, ploppalopp, mafd12 liked this post

Last edited by solgoldberg; May 3rd, 2015 at 03:45 PM.
solgoldberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2015, 08:03 PM   #1732
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

The cladding looks ok on 5 MW. Not great, but ok. Maybe it'll look better on a less overcast day. Then again, it'll be sitting in the shadows of several 900+ footers...

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Hudson11 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2015, 08:09 PM   #1733
citybooster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
The cladding looks ok on 5 MW. Not great, but ok. Maybe it'll look better on a less overcast day. Then again, it'll be sitting in the shadows of several 900+ footers...
It's way too early in the transformation but compared to what it looks now, it will be a vast improvement at the very least. It does look like a building that can accomodate 40 more floors built on top though.. looks like a base that was never completed.
Old May 4th, 2015, 12:18 AM   #1734
LondoniumLex
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2064

There are around 1.0-1.5m SF of unused air rights associated with 5 MW. This new cladding is a short-term fix; in 20 years (or sooner), a 2.5m SF tower will rise on that site.

citybooster, ploppalopp liked this post
LondoniumLex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2015, 01:30 AM   #1735
citybooster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondoniumLex View Post
There are around 1.0-1.5m SF of unused air rights associated with 5 MW. This new cladding is a short-term fix; in 20 years (or sooner), a 2.5m SF tower will rise on that site.
To minimize disruption any chance that they can build the tower over the current building, have it form the base? Whatever one thinks about the building, already does have 1.6 mil square feet of space.

Kanto liked this post
Old May 4th, 2015, 01:33 AM   #1736
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Many people dislike the uberfattie building that is being reclad, but I think it is actually a charming international style lowrise. I hope that they can transfer these air rights to another site and build there something truly tall and leave this building reclad, but fully standing and without any additions

citybooster liked this post
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2015, 02:40 AM   #1737
LondoniumLex
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2064

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybooster View Post
To minimize disruption any chance that they can build the tower over the current building, have it form the base? Whatever one thinks about the building, already does have 1.6 mil square feet of space.
Yes, but I think they'll most likely start anew.

citybooster, ploppalopp liked this post
LondoniumLex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2015, 07:12 PM   #1738
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Real Estate Weekly
Old May 5th, 2015, 02:21 AM   #1739
solgoldberg

Likes (Received): 866

More 5 MW/450 W 33rd facade redo photos

Same May Day, same ghost images for moving objects:

Shot from 31st

IMAG4910 by solgoldberg, on Flickr[/IMG]

IMAG4912 by solgoldberg, on Flickr

Last edited by solgoldberg; May 5th, 2015 at 02:48 AM.
solgoldberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2015, 11:57 PM   #1740
Kanto
Roof height crusader

I think this building will become a true gem once recladded

Tags
1 manhattan west, 2 manhattan west, 3 manhattan west, 4 manhattan west, 5 manhattan west, brookfield manhattan west, new york, north tower, supertall