daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 4th, 2009, 11:00 PM   #21
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 780

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayds View Post
No, life is good here.

There are planes that take us anywhere in the world lol, even a train that goes to Sydney from here!

If it was a much smaller place it may be a problem being so far away.
For me the isolation would drive me crazy. It's all very good to say that there are planes everywhere in the world, but international flights are expensive and restrictive compared to trains or an easy drive.

Let me give you an example. If you want to go shopping for a day in another large city, you would have to fly, and this I bet is not a common thing people do. I can hop in a train from Frankfurt and be in another important city Mannheim in 35minutes. Mannheim has more than 2million in it's metro area as an example of size. It's close enough and cheap enought that it's nothing to consider if you simply want a change of scenary for shopping.

Or, I can pop into Paris for a weekend without thinking twice. Either get the train which is fast enough, or if I am really pushing for time, a 35minute flight would do it as well (ok, gotta get to the airports at both ends, but you get my point)

I found Sydney isolated as it was, and Brisbane and Melbourne are a lot closer than anything is to Perth.

Perth also seems very suburban to me. And yes, the streets do look dead. Though if this was a Sunday morning then that shouldn't be a good example of what the city is really like. I'll actually be in Perth later this year to visit friends and I'll check the place out. I know a few other German's that have been already and they didn't really like the place (very pretty but too suburban and lacking life) but I am more used to suburban type cities than these guys and having friends to show me the good spots will help.

Be interesting to visit, but regardless of how pretty it is along the waterfront I could never live there. Far too isolated.

Sponsored Links
Old April 5th, 2009, 03:00 PM   #22
nazor
Perth

Likes (Received): 647

ohh its beyond isolated!

It has its ups and downs (like anywhere) but i like the weather and night life in northbridge and the city on the weekends!

I hope Perth keeps growing strong (with higher density) and there isnt another slump like in the early 90's!
nazor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2009, 03:04 PM   #23
Inconfidente

Likes (Received): 15093

Green and modern, perfect combination!
Inconfidente no está en línea   Reply With Quote