daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 24th, 2008, 10:43 AM   #1
Johnor

Likes (Received): 49

Rostock - Largest city in mecklenburg

Now I have reached the end of my mecklenburg show. Rostock is the largest city in Mecklenburg, but not the capital. The city was just as Stralsund, Lübeck, Greifswald and Lübeck an important part of the Hansa. The city was partly destroyed in the second world war, but despite contains a lot of medivieal buildings. I will show some of them in this gallerey. Interresting is also the adaption of Brickstone Gothic architechture in modern houses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rostock

Hier ist die schöne und moderne Fünf-giebelhaus dass greift die Backstein-gotische Tradition an.

Ohne vergleich ist die Fussgängerzone zwischen Universitätsplatz und Neuer Markt deutlich Attraktiver als die meisten deutschen Grosstädten.

[/quote]
Johnor no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 24th, 2008, 11:48 AM   #2
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

Likes (Received): 888

wow, that's really a nice pedestrian zone!
Patrick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 11:49 AM   #3
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8807

Excellent, I was looking forward to seeing some shots from Rostock! Great photography and a very attractive looking city!

How did you find the city Johnor? Did you feel that economic revival had reached it or did it still feel economically depressed?
Svartmetall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 03:11 PM   #4
Johnor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Excellent, I was looking forward to seeing some shots from Rostock! Great photography and a very attractive looking city!

How did you find the city Johnor? Did you feel that economic revival had reached it or did it still feel economically depressed?
I have been there three times. The first time was just after the wall came down. The whole city was grey and falling apart. Large things has happend to the city since then. If the city is doing well, judging from the down yes. The university shown on these first pictures gives it a nice young flair. Still, the city has lost a lot of people to the west. The east germany profits from tourism, but at the same time young people does not find works so they move to west germany or another country.
Old February 24th, 2008, 04:25 PM   #5
schmidt

Likes (Received): 59

That's a terrible thing in former East Germany. Why don't companies invest there as there is such a qualified workforce? There seems to be pretty good infrastructure as well.

I can tell that because my city, Blumenau, sometimes loses investments because of lack of skilled workforce. Not that we don't have, but we just don't have enough. And people can say whatever they want, but one of the few good things of Communism was Education and I'm pretty sure (for what I heard) East Germany had that too.
schmidt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 05:11 PM   #6
ØlandDK
Used User

Likes (Received): 103

Nice little tour...
The city center is pretty nice but there's almost no nightlife

my flickr
ØlandDK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 07:09 PM   #7
Johnor

Here comes some more beautiful buildings from Rostock

Brickstone Gothic Building

[/quote]
Old February 25th, 2008, 09:06 AM   #8
Johnor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ØlandDK View Post
Nice little tour...
The city center is pretty nice but there's almost no nightlife
No Idea about the nightlife. In east Germany the main night life cities is Berlin and Leipzig. Some say Dresden New town too. Rostock is not that big (around 200000 inhabitants) and it lies in east germany where many young people goes away. Still, thanks to the university there are some bars, clubs and cafes to go to. But I think you need to know where to go....

Last edited by Johnor; February 25th, 2008 at 09:51 AM.
Old February 25th, 2008, 12:53 PM   #9
Xabi

Likes (Received): 5

Unfotunately I haven't heard good things about Rostock. Anyway, the city centre looks a very pleasant place.

All the best for Rostock and former East Germany cities!

De Snor GOIAN BEGO
Xabi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008, 01:09 PM   #10
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

It looks a lot like a Danish city actually...
Old February 25th, 2008, 01:54 PM   #11
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8807

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
It looks a lot like a Danish city actually...
I believe Rostock was part of the Hanseatic league and thus experienced a boom during that time. There were also similarities between various Hanseatic cities architecturally too due to Hansa presence there - if my history lessons serve me correctly anyway!
Svartmetall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008, 02:47 PM   #12
Johnor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
I believe Rostock was part of the Hanseatic league and thus experienced a boom during that time. There were also similarities between various Hanseatic cities architecturally too due to Hansa presence there - if my history lessons serve me correctly anyway!
I agree with Svartmetal...this way of building became dominant in nothern europe with gable houses. It began with Lübeck, spread to other countries like Belgium Netherlands, Denmark, Norway (Bryggen) Sweden and other countries. You can actually find a couple of buildings influceed from this style in Edinburgh old town. Another aspect that might look similar is the abudance of colourful buildings. Historic danish cities tend to be colourful.
Old February 25th, 2008, 02:48 PM   #13
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Hehe, well either way, it's still a really nice looking city. Looks like a great place to spend the Summer.

erbse liked this post
city_thing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008, 03:13 PM   #14
Johnor

Quote:
Hehe, well either way, it's still a really nice looking city. Looks like a great place to spend the Summer.
It is true! Rostock is getting popular with tourists since it is close to the baltic sea. The historic restort Warnemünde is a part of Rostock that attracts many visitors. Sadly I have no photographs of this part..

http://www.warnemuende-touristik.de/...bild_gross.JPG

http://www.mecklenburg-vorpommern-os...rnem_nde_5.jpg

http://www.cruise-addicts.com/photog...2/DSC03880.JPG

http://www.michaels-bilderladen.de/warnemuende/110s.JPG

erbse liked this post
Old February 26th, 2008, 11:13 AM   #15
Johnor

More Beautiful architechture

[/quote]
Old February 26th, 2008, 05:13 PM   #16
Farrapo

Likes (Received): 882

That's the first time I see pictures of Rostock! The city looks pretty nice, it reminds me of polish cities... Maybe because Rostock is not that far from the polish border... Hmm, actually, its architecture has a mix of polish and hanseatic ones! Btw, most of the descendents of germans that live here in my city are from this region!

Thanks for the pics!

erbse liked this post
Farrapo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 09:33 AM   #17
Johnor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farrapo View Post
That's the first time I see pictures of Rostock! The city looks pretty nice, it reminds me of polish cities... Maybe because Rostock is not that far from the polish border... Hmm, actually, its architecture has a mix of polish and hanseatic ones! Btw, most of the descendents of germans that live here in my city are from this region!

Thanks for the pics!
The Architechture are around the baltic sea is very much influeceed from the hanseatic times. And since the countries are closee to each other, there are bound to influeence each other.

[/quote]
Old February 27th, 2008, 10:29 AM   #18
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

I just looked through all those photos again, it's such a nice city to look at. I'd love to be there right now. The entire region of Germany that's close to the Baltic sea is a great area. A friend of mine used to have a German shirt that said "Ich bin aus eine nordlicht' (I think that's correct, my German is terrible) - it basically meant she was a person that loved the northern Europen region. I really should get one of those shirts, I love the area!
Old February 27th, 2008, 07:15 PM   #19
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 59430

Quote:
The entire region of Germany that's close to the Baltic sea is a great area.
Agreed, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern really is a good place for traveling, it gained loads of attractivity since communism fell down. It doesn't have anything to do with those days anymore, nearly everything's shiny as a Struma crashbarrier (can't get rid of this)

While I'm at it - Johnor made some several more threads about the Baltic Sea region here. About the state's beautiful capital town of Schwerin e.g. Regarding me - I posted some shots of Usedom Island in this thread, one of the most attractive areas over here - To be continued!

Quote:
A friend of mine used to have a German shirt that said "Ich bin aus eine nordlicht' (I think that's correct, my German is terrible)
Nearly correct, but it'd be rather like "Ich bin ein Nordlicht", which means "I'm a northern light" (synonym for northern German people, as well as "Fischkopp/fishhead" - just take a look at my avatar ).

You could get such a T-shirt rather cheap if you want to design it on your own, at Spreadshirt for example. For this one you can choose a city's name or whatever and it's even less expansive. I own one of the last by the by, with "NB" (for "Neubrandenburg") printed on. You really are quite well received over here with such one

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

Last edited by erbse; February 27th, 2008 at 07:31 PM.
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 09:25 PM   #20
Benonie
Bike It!

Likes (Received): 19760

Beautiful city.
Reminds me of the polish cities on the other side of the german-Polish frontier.
Benonie no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
rostock