daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 14th, 2008, 10:58 PM   #41
DiggerD21
spaghetti polonaise

Likes (Received): 1356

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
The people are all so beautiful and open minded as well.
Actually due to some gruesome xenophobic incidents in the 90's and the fact that right-wing-extremists make it into the parliaments in many eastern german state parliaments (incl. Mecklenburg-Vorpommern), Rostock is not known for open-mindedness. Actually, my ex-neighbour in Hamburg hailed from Rostock and she told me, that she didn't like Hamburg, because there were too many black people (I thought, she could go back to Rostock and be unemployed or be happy to have a well-paid and secure job in Hamburg).

Rostock has to work a lot on his Image, as the city is indeed surprisingly beautyful according to the pictures above.
DiggerD21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 19th, 2008, 12:21 PM   #42
Johnor

Likes (Received): 49

@DiggerD21

I mean your ex-neighboor is hardly an empirical evidence that Rostock is predominant right city. The east of germany has although a higher percentage of right radicals than west. Still the cities in Mecklenburg - Vorpommern is predominantly left where the poorer country side is more right.

The governenment in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern is a corporation between socialdemocrats and the lift wing party PDS. Rostock is an university city where the down town is actually lively with nice cafes with a left touche. In this sense Rostock is opeminded...

Sometimes it is better to actually go to the places and see for yourself.

Last edited by Johnor; May 19th, 2008 at 12:35 PM.
Johnor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2008, 01:22 AM   #43
DiggerD21
spaghetti polonaise

Well, doesn't change the fact that Rostock has to work on its Image. My Ex-neighbour is actually not the only negative example/story from Rostock I have met or heard. On the other hand I have never heard anything bad about Magdeburg for instance, a city roughly as big as Rostock, roughly as far away from Hamburg as Rostock and roughly the same economic situation as Rostock.
Old May 20th, 2008, 10:39 AM   #44
Johnor

@DiggerD21
I would say the opposite. What do you really know about Rostock? What is your personal expierence from Rostock? I would rather walk around in Rostock then in Magdeburg since Rostock has a cultural life and Magdeburg is too close on Berlin. You also seem to forget that Mecklenburg-vorpommern is predominantly left wing. If left-wing is bad, then you would make a good point.

In the long run I have no idea where your based your judgement on that Rostock should have more racists than Berlin, Cottbus or Magdeburg. Please show me your empirical evidence in form of statistics on racist crime or anything scientific except your loose perception. If you cannot prove your point, you are the one who is spreading this rumour.
Old May 20th, 2008, 12:40 PM   #45
fettekatz
BANNED

Likes (Received): 47

all of you: please visit Rostock and see it with your own eyes. Don't believe in clichees and prejudices.

The city has its problems, as many other cities have worldwide. Xenophobia is a global phenomenon and in East Germany it's primariliy driven by the feeling of being disadvantaged by globalization. To my experience, its much less than in the early 90ies.
fettekatz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2008, 01:09 PM   #46
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8829

Whenever you lift a population out of "poverty" (which is a relative term anyway) you tend to find that extremism begins to disappear. The only reason for extreme reaction is due to extreme discrepancy and want of a better future.

It's strange that extremism and crime are generally correlated quite well with the GINI index. More equal, less crime/extremism.

By the way to keep this thread on topic - these are great photos Johnor and I've enjoyed each of your threads from East Germany. Keep up the excellent work and I look forward to visiting Rostock in the future.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2008, 02:30 PM   #47
DiggerD21
spaghetti polonaise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnor View Post
In the long run I have no idea where your based your judgement on that Rostock should have more racists than Berlin, Cottbus or Magdeburg. Please show me your empirical evidence in form of statistics on racist crime or anything scientific except your loose perception. If you cannot prove your point, you are the one who is spreading this rumour.
I never stated that there are more racists in Rostock than in other german cities. I just stated that IMO Rostock has an image problem (actually largely due to this gruesome incident in the early 90s) and that much of what I hear and my encounters with some people of this region confirm this not so nice image of Rostock. I never stated that my experiences are representative.
Old May 24th, 2008, 01:04 AM   #48
Johnor

@DiggerD21

Well, its ok to have prejudices...

Still I would recomend you take a tour of the city. It is really nice!
There is a lot of young open minded and nice cafes in the city.....
And it lies just a couple of minutes from some of Germany best beaches...
Old May 24th, 2008, 12:44 PM   #49
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244734

Nice Rostock The city looks nice...
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2008, 12:13 AM   #50
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 59674

And it still looks nice!

Incredible, eh?

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2012, 11:51 PM   #51
LordiHard
G-FORCE

Likes (Received): 1

more pictures and news
LordiHard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2013, 12:23 PM   #52
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 59674

Warnemünde, a popular Baltic Sea beach spa that is part of Rostock city: Landmarks lighthouse and Teepott during "Lighthouse In Flames 2012".

Source

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

Dr.Seltsam, extrawelt liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2013, 07:30 AM   #53
skylark
skylark

Likes (Received): 410

I'm always charmed by that unique architectural style endemic to a particular region or country.
this city has that share of charming structures.

erbse liked this post
skylark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2013, 10:22 AM   #54
Skrapebook

Likes (Received): 725

People ought to go to holiday in these beautiful german coast cities like
Rostock, Stralsund and the stunning towns on Rügen and Usedom.
Italy, France, Spain, Turkey, Portugal, Greece, etc.
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overrated!
I want powder white sand and not a water temperature that is too hot!

erbse liked this post
Skrapebook no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2013, 12:02 AM   #55
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11258

First time going through your splendid collection, and I'm surprised that Rostock still holds a good part of its old-world charm (at 30 percent), even though a good amount of the city has been destroyed in World War II. However, putting wars and politics aside, I truly appreciate how much the city has been rebuilt in ways that the structures mirror those of many modern European cities, with buildings having similar heights and number of floors. In addition, with the narrow cobblestone streets (with access for one car to go through at a time), it makes me want to walk around the city's alleyways and appreciate the various buildings and open spaces made over time. Yes, there are quite a lot of brick structures, but many of the more modern ones (built with steel and cement) look pretty similar to its older siblings, and I can see lots of windows that bring in light and breaks the monotony of the similar height structures.

And it's good to bring in another city, Warnemünde, in which I could pay a visit too when visiting Rostock, especially with that modern-looking structure (makes me think that it is either a museum, a government building, a commercial center, or other) sitting next to a working lighthouse... it makes me think that summers in that region are fantastic indeed!

Splendid images, my friend! Hopefully, I will see even more images from this lively city!

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill

extrawelt, erbse liked this post
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
rostock