daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Irish Architecture Forum > Republic of Ireland

Republic of Ireland For projects and construction in Dublin and the South

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 42 votes, 5.00 average.
Old April 20th, 2009, 09:05 PM   #161
Catmalojin

Likes (Received): 230

Quote:

New plans seek to boost cycling

HARRY McGEE

Mon, Apr 20, 2009

A new Government policy on cycling proposes to make Ireland one of the most cycle-friendly countries in the world by 2020.

The National Cycle Policy Framework was launched today by the Minister for Transport Noel Dempsey who said he wanted to increase the number of people who cycle each day from 35,000 to 160,000 in a little
over a decade – an increase of over 400 per cent.

The new policy contains 109 separate actions to make the transformation policy. The plan includes ambitious plans to retrofit all urban roads to accommodate cycling routes as well as promises to introduce widespread traffic calming and bike-friendly road designs.

It also provides for the integration of public transport and cycling (allowing bikes to be carried on buses and trains); the provision of shared bicycles (like the French Velib scheme) in major towns; new
safe bike-parking facilities, as well as the retrofit of major road junctions which can currently pose dangers for cyclists.

Mr Dempsey acknowledged there had been a marked decrease in the numbers cycling to school and work in the past 20 years but said that this new policy would fully address it.

He said he had sought the advice of the best cycle planners in Europe when drawing up the new policy.

“I am determine that we will have a world-class cycling infrastructure in place in this country by 2020 so that biking becomes a safe and enjoyable option for commuters and school-kids alike,” said Mr Dempsey.

However, he accepted that the total plan has yet to be costed, though he added that a total of €14 million would be provided during 2009 for various schemes, some of which are engineering and others promotional.

However, there is no specific commitments in relation to funding the actions.

“Over the lifetime of the scheme what we intend to do within the road-work programme is to provide specific funds for engineering to make existing roads much safer particularly in city and urban areas,”
he said.

The cycling campaign group, cyclist.ie, gave a broad endorsement to the new policy. Dr Darren McAdam-O’Connell said that recognition of cycling by policy makers was long overdue.

“We strongly welcome a document that contains many of the measures that cyclists have been demanding for a long time, such as stronger measures against urban speeding, on-road cycle training in schools, improved driver training curriculum, dismantling of dangerous multi-lane one-way systems and permitting of bike carriage on trains and buses.”

However, Dr Mike McKillen, also of cyclist.ie said it would never become a reality without a “fundamental change in attitudes in official circles”.

Fine Gael’s transport spokesman Fergus O’Dowd said that Mr Dempsey launched his cycling wish-list just as the roads programme was coming to an end.

He claimed the policy would “gather dust” in the Department of Transport.

Labour’s spokesman Tommy Broughan described the policy as being full of vague aspirations, without full commitments to implement them.

“The policy is also vague on how and when funding will be provided and merely states that ‘we will provide appropriate levels of, and timely, funding towards implementing the plan,” said Mr Broughan.

© 2009 irishtimes.com
The main problem with cycling in Ireland is the terrain and the climate, so I wonder how big of an uptake this policy will see...
Catmalojin no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 23rd, 2009, 01:27 AM   #162
saoró...
níféidirliomdulacholadh

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Integrated Smart Card Ticketing In Greater Dublin Area

Technology
The integrated ticketing system in the Greater Dublin Area is being introduced on a phased basis, based on smart card technology, over the period to the end of 2010. A progressive approach is being adopted to allow customers to familiarise themselves with using the new system and to permit transport operators to undertake the necessary replacement of magnetic strip technology, the testing of smart cards and the integration of the various technologies involved.

All the Luas network and Dublin Bus fleet have been fitted with smart card readers. The fitting of smart card readers is underway at Irish Rail commuter stations and this work will be completed over the coming months, as will the installation of new gating systems for entry and exit validation of tickets.

Smart Cards
At present, customers can use pre-loaded smart cards to pay for travel on Luas. (www.luas.ie)

In the case of Dublin Bus, the following Dublin Bus only ticket products are available on Smart Card Tickets (www.dublinbus.ie):

Annual and Monthly Tickets
Annual Bus Travelwide
Rambler Tickets
Rambler Adult Tickets (1 day, 3 day, 5 day & 30 day)
Rambler Child 5 day Ticket (u16yrs)
10 Journey, Travel 90 Adult
10 Journey, Travel 90 Schoolchild (u 16yrs)
10 Journey, Travel 90 Scholar (16 - 18yrs)

Integrated Smart Card Tickets (Dublin Bus, Luas and Irish Rail)

The following integrated tickets are currently available for transferring from Dublin Bus to Irish Rail or to Luas :
Annual Bus & Rail Short Hop

Annual Bus & Luas

Travelwide Adult Monthly

Bus & Luas Adult Monthly

See www.dublinbus.ie

The next step will be the launch by Irish Rail of an interim smart card scheme from late this summer. This smart card will offer a number of ticket products to be announced at the time of launch.

Following that, it is planned later this year to commence the introduction of a single smart card on a progressive basis for Dublin Bus and Luas services which will have electronic purse capability. This capability will allow a pay-as-you-go system, similar to the systems used for mobile phones. The electronic purse capability will go live early next year and will facilitate cashless travel on services of all participating operators.

The single smart card, with electronic purse capability, will then replace the interim smart cards and will be extended to Irish Rail - DART and commuter rail services- later next year.

Discussions are being held with private bus operators in relation to their participating in the scheme over this timeframe.

During 2010, Bus Éireann will introduce the single smart card system on a pilot basis on a number of its commuter routes within the Greater Dublin Area. The Company will then evaluate the feasibility of extending the scheme to include its whole network in the Greater Dublin Area.

Accordingly, during 2010 smartcards with an electronic purse will be available to almost all public transport users in the Greater Dublin Area.

While the current scope and focus of the single smart card scheme is the Greater Dublin Area, the mandate for the scheme is national in scope. The potential to develop a nationwide ticket, starting with at Cork and Galway will then be examined.
http://www.rpa.ie/en/its/Pages/Overview.aspx more info

This only took a good decade
It will be great though to be able to cross Dublin on Metro/Luas/DART/Bus on one (hopefully cheaper) ticket. DART stations already have readers installed.
saoró... no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 02:31 PM   #163
odlum833

Likes (Received): 657

about time is all I will say.

As for cycling - it ain't my cup of tea but im sure many would like safer cycle lanes and that sort of thing.

BTW the Galway to Limerick section of the Western Rail Corridor should open in July apparently.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1596
odlum833 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2009, 11:43 AM   #164
suburbansky
Above us only sky

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by odlum833 View Post
BTW the Galway to Limerick section of the Western Rail Corridor should open in July apparently.
Thanx, it will be interesting to see whether it's successful or not - I hope it will, but the project does have its major flaws, basically because it's quite a cheapskate affair, it appears.

And about cycling: I tell you, a city becomes much more agreeable with a good cycling infrastructure - and I wouldn't be surprised to see Odlum speeding across Dublin on two wheels, once the infrastructure is there...

How am I listening? > My Last.fm Profile

"As long as we are free we'll be doomed to live and die under the great suburban sky." (Madrugada - "Salt")
suburbansky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2009, 03:36 PM   #165
odlum833

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbansky View Post
And about cycling: I tell you, a city becomes much more agreeable with a good cycling infrastructure - and I wouldn't be surprised to see Odlum speeding across Dublin on two wheels, once the infrastructure is there...

Alot of the infrastructure is there - there are 100's of km's of cycle lanes in Dublin. Obviously some think that is not good enough. Each to their own and all that.

Old April 29th, 2009, 05:09 PM   #166
spacetweek

Quote:
Originally Posted by saoró... View Post
It will be great though to be able to cross Dublin on Metro/Luas/DART/Bus on one (hopefully cheaper) ticket. DART stations already have readers installed.
I've heard the Integrated Ticketing spiel so many times that I will quite frankly believe it when I see it. Unions and weak-willed politicians have gotten in the way before.
Also are they moving to a single zoning system? Cause if you have to pay every time you change mode or vehicle (even within the same zone) then you've made pretty much no progress. That's the biggest issue we have right now, is that you have to pay every time you change bus etc.
spacetweek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2009, 05:10 PM   #167
spacetweek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catmalojin View Post
New plans seek to boost cycling
I wonder that the 109 recommendations are? Anyone able to link me up?

Last edited by spacetweek; April 29th, 2009 at 05:26 PM.
spacetweek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2009, 06:48 PM   #168
Catmalojin

There's a PDF link at the bottom of this page: http://www.transport.ie/pressRelease.aspx?Id=85
Old May 11th, 2009, 03:33 PM   #169
suburbansky
Above us only sky

Iarnród Éireann provided me with some information about the Western Rail Corridor:
  • Services between Galway and Limerick will commence in September
  • Schedule is currently worked out and to be published soon
  • Class 2600 railcars are being used for the service, so there will be no change of loco at Athenry, thankfully
  • They were rather vague about my question concerning possible extension to Cork in the future

Here's what the trains will look like, not the very newest things but not all bad, I guess:

"As long as we are free we'll be doomed to live and die under the great suburban sky." (Madrugada - "Salt")
Old May 11th, 2009, 03:38 PM   #170
odlum833

Those are the commuter line trains which are currently in operation. They are only 5 or 6 years old but are gradually going to be replaced on the Dublin commuter lines - maybe they are just going to move those ones to the west?

Should have gone for the Mark 4 trains which operate the intercity services.

Last edited by odlum833; May 11th, 2009 at 03:45 PM.
Old May 11th, 2009, 03:57 PM   #171
suburbansky
Above us only sky

Yeah, IE are definitely disposing their rubbish out in the West, it seems. But ok, the major flaw of the WRC remains that tedious Athenry detour that adds an extra 11 miles to the journey - it would have been much better to build a new shortcut from Craughwell or Ardrahan to Oranmore. I don't believe that this would have made the project way more expensive, and the bit of extra money spent would have been easily outweighed by increased ridership, especially with daily commuters.

Old May 11th, 2009, 10:53 PM   #172
Catmalojin

Bus gate voted on by Dublin C.C. tonight:

Quote:

Bus gate to be introduced in Dublin city
Monday, 11 May 2009 21:40

Dublin city councillors have agreed to introduce a bus gate at College Green during morning and evening rush hours, which is due to be in place by the beginning of August.

The ban on private cars travelling in front of Trinity College and Bank of Ireland will operate during 7am to 10am and 4pm to 7pm Monday to Friday.

Councillors decided by 15 votes to 12 to introduce the traffic restriction, which is designed to reduce congestion and improve flows for buses, cyclists and pedestrians.

It was opposed by city centre businesses who claimed it could cause job losses.

The Dublin City Centre Business Association and Chamber of Commerce also said the move was premature pending a decision on the Metro and other traffic improvements including the opening of the Samuel Beckett Bridge at Macken St.

The change will also involve wider footpaths and extra crossing points for pedestrians.

Story from RTÉ News:
http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0511/bus.html

Old May 12th, 2009, 02:50 PM   #173
odlum833

Wrong time and wrong idea IMO. The local stores don't like this one bit and im not supprised. They were saying that if the stores in the area lost just 1% of business due to this decision that alone would cost them €300 million.

Old May 21st, 2009, 10:51 PM   #174
Catmalojin

Quote:
New Navan rail route confirmed

Thu, May 21, 2009

The preferred option for the second phase of the Navan rail line has been confirmed following the assessement of two different routes by Iarnrod Éireann.

Mr Cowen and Minister for Transport Noel Dempsey today said the ‘route A’ option past Dunshaughlin, along the route of the original Navan rail line, had been chosen for the rail extension.

This would take it through Batterstown, Drumree, Dunsany and Kilmessan.

Work is already underway on the first phase of the rail link to Pace, near Clonee and Dunboyne.

A second option east of Dunshaughlin was also being considered.

Visiting Navan today, Mr Cowen said: “Irish Rail recently submitted the feasibility study to government.

“It examined two possible routes in great detail – an option A which runs along the original railway alignment and an option B which is a new route to the east of Dunshaughlin.”

“On the basis of the detailed analysis carried out by Irish Rail the preferred option has emerged as option A or the original railway alignment.”

He said the chosen option of the original alignment had “a number of advantages”. It provided a better economic rate of return for the State’s investment, could be provided at “significantly lower cost” and was also the preferred option from the public consultation process carried out by Irish Rail.

Over 80 per cent of people indicated a preference for option A. This route also has a shorter journey time to Dublin of 59 minutes, compared to 62 minutes for option B.

“On the basis of this analysis we will now be asking Irish Rail to proceed with the necessary preparations for a railway order application,” Mr Cowen said.

Mr Dempsey said work was already "well underway” on the first phase of the new Navan rail line from Clonsilla to Dunboyne and that it is on target to open in the autumn of next year.

“I am now keen to get construction on phase two of this line from Pace to Navan underway as quickly as possible.”

Irish Rail recently submitted the feasibility study to the Department of Transport for a decision by the Minister.

© 2009 irishtimes.com
They should future-proof it and electrify the entire section as it's being built.
Old May 28th, 2009, 07:03 PM   #175
odlum833

News on commuter services between Cork and Midleton

Quote:
Minister announces timetable for Cork-Midleton

Date: 25 May 2009

Iarnród Éireann News Release
25th May 2009

MINISTER ANNOUNCES TIMETABLE DETAILS FOR NEW CORK-MIDLETON COMMUTER SERVICE

New line to open this summer with 20 trains each way daily

The Minister for Transport, Noel Dempsey TD, today joined with CIÉ and Iarnród Éireann Chairman Dr John Lynch to announce details of the timetable for commuters on the new Cork-Midleton line, which opens this summer.

Work on the new line is nearing completion, following a €75 million investment in the infrastructure under the Government’s Transport 21 programme, part of the National Development Plan 2007-2013. Today’s announcement also gave Midleton residents their first sighting of a commuter train at the station since the investment works began.

A total of 20 trains each way will operate daily between Cork and Midleton, with services running every 30 minutes at peak times, and every hour at off-peak times, Monday to Friday. Sixteen trains each way will operate on Saturdays, and eight trains will operate each way on Sundays.

Monday to Saturday Timetable

From Cork: 06.45*, 07.15, 07.45*, 08.15, 08.45*, 09.15, 10.15, 11.15, 12.15, 13.15, 14.15, 15.15, 16.15, 17.15, 17.45*, 18.15, 19.15, 20.15, 21.15, 22.15

From Midleton: 07.15*, 07.45, 08.15*, 08.45, 09.15*, 09.45, 10.45, 11.45, 12.45, 13.45, 14.45, 15.45, 16.45, 17.45, 18.15*, 18.45, 19.45, 20.45, 21.45, 22.45

* = Mon-Fri only

Sunday Timetable

From Cork: 08.15, 10.15, 12.15, 14.00, 16.15, 17.15, 18.30, 20.15

From Midleton: 08.45, 10.45, 12.45, 14.30, 16.45, 17.45, 19.15, 20.45

Journey details – Commuter service, and Intercity connections

Journey time between Midleton and Cork will be 23-24 minutes, and all trains will serve the new stations of Midleton and Carrigtwohill, as well as Glounthaune, Little Island and Kent Station Cork.

As well as offering a strong commuter service, the new Midleton timetable will offer excellent connections to the Cork-Dublin Intercity service, maximising the benefit of this new infrastructure.

The infrastructure also offers the potential to expand services in the future to every 15 minutes, as demand increases.

Midleton line project

The €75 million investment in the Midleton line includes:

- upgrading track on the previously disused Glounthaune to Midleton line, through provision of a single track with a passing loop at Carrigtwohill

- providing a new signalling system

- provision of two new stations at Midleton and Carrigtwohill, including extensive car parking facilities (340 spaces and 180 spaces respectively), lifts and footbridges

- the replacement of a range of level crossings with bridges

- other infrastructure work including bridge, boundary and drainage works

CIÉ and Iarnród Éireann Chairman Dr John Lynch said “ the development of the Midleton line is an integral part of a framework for land use, transportation, social and environmental policies in the Cork region which sees Cork take the lead in sustainable planning in this country. This will deliver a system which will benefit generations to come in Cork and in the Munster region. There has been tremendous public support for this major investment, and we are delighted to announce these timetable details, and look forward to welcoming our new customers to Iarnród Éireann’s services this summer.”

Minister for Transport Noel Dempsey TD said “the announcement of the planned timetable is an important landmark in our Midleton rail project. The final touches are being put in place to allow the first train to leave the platform here in Midleton later this summer. Even in these times of very significant economic constraint this government is determined to invest in top quality, reliable public transport alternatives. The opening of this new rail line is proof of that. This new station at Midleton, along with the new station at Carrigtwohill, will allow thousands of people living locally to leave their cars at home and instead enjoy a stress free rail journey. It will save people time, money and its kinder to the environment. Under Transport 21 this Government is transforming rail services in this part of the country.”

Cork rail investment

The developments are the latest boost to rail services in Co Cork.

In 2007, the introduction of 67 new Intercity carriages on the Cork-Dublin route was completed, at a cost of €117 million. The new fleet has enabled Iarnród Éireann to give customers an hourly service in each direction, and the highest ever levels of punctuality and reliability.

Investment in improved facilities at Kent Station in Cork has also been completed, with further improvements planned.

Returning after 46 years

The previous passenger services between Midleton and Cork ceased in 1963, when Midleton Station closed to passenger trains.

Issued by:
Corporate Communications
Iarnród Éireann

Old May 31st, 2009, 02:53 AM   #176
odlum833

Quote:
RPA Announces June Open Day for Luas City Centre Broombridge

RPA Announces June Open Day for Luas City Centre/Broombridge (Line BXD)

RPA is developing plans for the proposed new Luas Line, that will run from St. Stephen's Green through the city centre to Broombridge, Luas Line BXD. This new Luas Line will link the existing Luas Red and Green Lines; it will also provide a link to the proposed new unified DIT campus at Grangegorman and will provide an interchange with the Maynooth suburban rail line services at Broombridge.

RPA is presently preparing a Railway Order application for Luas City Centre/Broombridge (Line BXD); if granted will provide the necessary powers to construct, operate and maintain the line.

RPA will be holding an Open Day for Luas City Centre/Broombridge (Line BXD):

Wednesday, 10th June 2009, 16:00 - 20:00hrs
Jury's Hotel, Parnell Street, Dublin 1.

www.rpa.ie
Nice to see progress on this. We need the Green and Red lines linked ASAP. This will require a new bridge over the Liffey beside O'Connell Bridge in the city center. It is anticipated atm that this bridge should open before major metro north works commence on O'Connell Street.

Info on open day and map of scheme

http://www.rpa.ie/Documents/Public%2...yer%200509.pdf

Last edited by odlum833; May 31st, 2009 at 02:59 AM.
Old August 7th, 2009, 03:03 PM   #177
odlum833

http://www.taxsaver.ie/en/News/Irish...-this-Autumn-/

Quote:
Irish Rail Smartcard coming this Autumn

The new Irish Rail Smartcard for Monthly and Annual taxsaver Customers in the Short Hop Zone (Balbriggan, Maynooth, Hazelhatch and Greystones) will be commencing in October/November.

The new “credit card” type card will be available to Rail Only Customers.

Old August 7th, 2009, 06:45 PM   #178
barry88

Does anybody know of any drawings out there of the proposal to reorientate Cork Kent station ? It is badly needed , the station looks unloved and out of date in parts . The entrance hall has been spruced up a bit , but is still not what it should be . Has anybody noticed that the tunnel that runs for a considerable length into the station also looks as if it hasnt had any work done on it in a long time ie , refuges , lighting and the tunnel lining ? . Its not unusual to see water stream down the tunnel walls on approach to the station , and it strikes me that the refuges are far too small and probably not up to safety standards .
barry88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2009, 01:33 AM   #179
odlum833

I will try and find some drawings for you online.

Information regarding Northern Commuter services from Connolly Station regarding a viaduct collapse at Malahide Estuary can be found here

http://www.irishrail.ie/news_centre/...ew&news_id=501

Old September 8th, 2009, 01:38 AM   #180
odlum833

Quote:
Wednesday, 26th August, 2009 Meath Chronicle

Work on the new rail link between Clonsilla and Dunboyne, set to open in September next year, is running to schedule, according to Iarnrod Eireann.
"We're still on programme for the opening," a spokesperson for the company said this week.
When the line is finished, the station complex at Pace, Dunboyne, will boast the biggest car park in the country, with space for 1,200 vehicles.
Ballast is currently being laid along the first section of the line with a view to commencing track-laying by the end of September. A number of accommodation bridges are now complete along the route and upgrading works are continuing to Barnhill, Stirling and Dunboyne bridges.
The Royal Canal bridge was lifted into position last week, providing a link from Clonsilla Station over the Royal Canal.
The Iarnrod Eireann spokesperson said that works were ongoing to each of the three stations along the rail route. Due to the presence of badgers along the route, artificial setts were constructed prior to the construction works commencing and the badgers were rehoused.
The interchange at Pace has been substantially completed by the NRA/M3JV, who are building the M3 motorway, providing two bridges for the railway line.
Work on the €160 million rail project started in December last year. The Clonsilla-Dunboyne section is to open in September 2010 before being extended to Navan by 2015.
The line will branch off the Maynooth line at Clonsilla and terminate at Docklands Station in the city, with trains arriving every 30 minutes at peak time, which will be extended to every 15 minutes as demand increases. The main contract is being carried out by SIAC Construction.
The new rail project will provide 7.5km of double track between Clonsilla and Dunboyne and the project includes three new stations, including the major park and ride facility just off the M3 at Pace

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: