daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > Local discussions > Nordic & Baltic > General development > Sweden

Sweden » Stockholm | Malmö

Old February 28th, 2008, 10:37 AM   #1
Levin

Likes (Received): 0

VÄXJÖ | Arena City

Finally the proposal for Arenastaden(Arena City) starts to take shape! The shoppingcenter looks ok but I think the houses looks to much like old commieblocks. I hope it isn't the final design though!

The link:http://www.vaxjo.se/upload/15773/are..._jerde_www.pdf
Levin no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 28th, 2008, 08:38 PM   #2
Svempa99

Likes (Received): 1

Yes, the shopping centre is nice. I'm glad that they have employed an L.A architecture firm to do the design, the Yanks know how to make malls. But I agree about the residential buildings. The look of them remains to be seen but I assume that you by calling them "commie blocks" mean that they are situated in the landscape, "hus i park". Yes, wrong solution on the wrong site. I don't get why they have to build residential houses there anyway. I mean, this is supposed to become a second urban centre in Växjö, it's already the big retail centre. Leave the ground for further urban functions. retail, sports, culture etc... But if they dearly want housing there as well, then build it like a real town, housing blocks in a grid plan. Or in a scraper!
Svempa99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2008, 09:06 AM   #3
Levin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svempa99 View Post
Yes, the shopping centre is nice. I'm glad that they have employed an L.A architecture firm to do the design, the Yanks know how to make malls. But I agree about the residential buildings. The look of them remains to be seen but I assume that you by calling them "commie blocks" mean that they are situated in the landscape, "hus i park". Yes, wrong solution on the wrong site. I don't get why they have to build residential houses there anyway. I mean, this is supposed to become a second urban centre in Växjö, it's already the big retail centre. Leave the ground for further urban functions. retail, sports, culture etc... But if they dearly want housing there as well, then build it like a real town, housing blocks in a grid plan. Or in a scraper!
I hope they built hotel and offices instead! The hight limit if I remember it correct is only 60m so I think 18st is max! Why they have hight limits at the location? Who knows? Nobody lives near the location at the moment!
Old February 29th, 2008, 04:41 PM   #4
Svempa99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
I hope they built hotel and offices instead! The hight limit if I remember it correct is only 60m so I think 18st is max! Why they have hight limits at the location? Who knows? Nobody lives near the location at the moment!
Write that to the politicians! I saw Jerdes paper about this site. They think it's about nature. Wrong conclusion! Just because we have a lot of woods doesn't mean that we have to design our urban centers as some kind of woodlands.
Svempa99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 09:30 AM   #5
Levin

They have actually start preparations so this is going to happen. And they start building the arenas spring 2009 according to the plan. Here in nimbytown this is fantastic news. This boring city is going to reshape. Two so called passiv house eight stories high start construction this summer but it's in a different part of the city(Teleborg).
Old May 14th, 2008, 05:09 PM   #6
Stefan E

The beginning of the end for the Arena city?
http://www.smp.se/nyheter/lobbyn/cur...den(637827).gm
Old May 15th, 2008, 09:10 AM   #7
Levin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan E View Post
The beginning of the end for the Arena city?
http://www.smp.se/nyheter/lobbyn/cur...den(637827).gm
Yes a sad story but this is just an old fool, the man behind Östers decline to "korpserien". The city council will not back from the projekt but it will be delayed a couple of years sadly. The nimbys in Växjö are real desperate which you can see in the comments to the article.
Old May 15th, 2008, 02:24 PM   #8
Chilenofuturista
Zug->für 'ne bessere welt

Likes (Received): 212

Quote:
Yes a sad story but this is just an old fool, the man behind Östers decline to "korpserien". The city council will not back from the projekt but it will be delayed a couple of years sadly. The nimbys in Växjö are real desperate which you can see in the comments to the article.
Are there so many? Really? Blimey....
I've been to Växjö more than once, it's a nice little town, quite typically Swedish but it needs to become modernised. I love(d) the Arena City Project.
Chilenofuturista no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2008, 09:48 PM   #9
Muthai
KTH-student

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
I can understand that you're eager for this project to continue, but you can't neglect the importance with having the finance ready before the construction starts. I'll keep my fingers crossed for this project, though. Hopefully it'll get built soon and without thos horrible concrete-jungle-buildings.
Muthai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2008, 11:05 AM   #10
Levin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilenofuturista View Post
Are there so many? Really? Blimey....
I've been to Växjö more than once, it's a nice little town, quite typically Swedish but it needs to become modernised. I love(d) the Arena City Project.
Yes in Växjö(as in Stockholm) the nimbys are a small but very loud group of people who try to stop all projekts in the city center or nearby. Sadly in many cases they are backed by SMP the biggest local newspaper. In Växjö amongst the nimbys they beleive that Växjö center is a wonderful place which don't need any development. They try to make it to a museum! Horrible! In my opinion Växjö center is small and meanless for a city with 80.000 inhabitants.
Old June 1st, 2008, 11:33 AM   #11
Levin

You must read the comments from the Nimbys in Växjö. These persons must be idiots or retarded. But funny hehe... Similar Nimbys all over in Sweden. I use to read Yimbys page every week.

http://www.smp.se/nyheter/vaxjo/peng...4).gm#comments
Old June 1st, 2008, 06:56 PM   #12
Alle

Likes (Received): 3

Some points are good though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Dar" at [url
http://www.smp.se/nyheter/vaxjo/pengar-till-wtc-soks-utomlands(669294).gm#comments]Växjö][/url] kommun har shopping tillräckligt för en stad som har över 100.000 invånare, jag tror knappast att vi behöver en arenastad och ett WTC. Stäng istället av storgatan för cyklister och torget som parkeringsplats. Ett mer levande centrum ör vad växjö behöver inte fler köpcentrum...
Växjö may need some improvements rather than new structures. Altough a football arena could be expedient, since Öster has no dedicated one.

I dont know much about the city, but in either case if the developers and initative takers cant convince the people there is probably something not that suitable with the ideas.

Castles And Fortresses [Alpe Adria] [Bosnia]
Alle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2008, 01:42 PM   #13
Levin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alle View Post
Some points are good though.

Växjö may need some improvements rather than new structures. Altough a football arena could be expedient, since Öster has no dedicated one.

I dont know much about the city, but in either case if the developers and initative takers cant convince the people there is probably something not that suitable with the ideas.
It's a great majority in Växjö for the new development. A poll made by smp some time ago almost 90% of the population voted for the new WTC. And city council have a big majority in favor of the projects. I think it is the same nimbys who wrote the comments.
Old June 19th, 2011, 01:10 PM   #14
gluten

This project is very much alive now, without any extern money.
The clubs of Växjö are paying togehter with Växjö City for this.

VIDA Arena for Icehockey is soon done
Växjö Lakers is new in the highest league this autumn

and the new fotballstadium; Myresjöhus Arena has just started construction

Värendsvallen is going to be renovated to a modern stadium for track and field
A new indoor-arena for track and field is going to be built, so also a new arena for Floorball
gluten no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2011, 10:01 AM   #15
swe

Likes (Received): 6

It is great to watch the progress of this. It is great for the city of Växjö to have Lakers in the elitseries. It is a shame that Rogle didn´t make it, though.
swe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2011, 01:24 PM   #16
gluten

We should really post some pics of the new VIDA Arena, it's pretty sweet =)
Old August 19th, 2011, 01:30 PM   #17
Boscorelli

Likes (Received): 19

Please do!
Boscorelli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2011, 02:08 PM   #18
gluten

The last pic shows the first "saturnus ring" in Sweden.
It's a round media display, here an example from Slovakia.
Old August 19th, 2011, 02:10 PM   #19
gluten

It will be the smallest one in the SEL but also one of the most luxurious in our country.
Like a smaller version of Malmö Arena
Old August 19th, 2011, 02:27 PM   #20
gluten

the plans for Arenastaden started like this 2003:

2006 they were more like

to end up something like this:

to sum up:
the fotboll stadium became smaller and less "cool", if you can say so.
The shopping mall was totally dumped, and thank god for that.