daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 1st, 2008, 03:45 AM   #1
NothingBetterToDo
Better To Do Nothing

Likes (Received): 13

LONDON: Kentish Town

As part of my job i need to visit various parts of the borough of Camden, this week i was in Kentish Town, and whilst i was there i took the opportunity to take a few snaps.

It's really the first time i've properly explored the area, and i must say i was very pleasantly surprised. Kentish Town is just down the road from its more famous neighbour Camden Town, and is more of a local high street - it has the usual shops, a Tube Station etc etc....on the whole it has a reputation as being a little rough around the edges. But if you explore the back streets there are some very well preserved victorian terraced townhouses - it all looks rather nice.

Anyway, on with the pics - enjoy....(oh and if you are nice there may be more pics of Camden Borough to come, as and when i take them )

1. Graffiti informing the passing commuters of where they are

6. It has its own littler market under here at weekends (i think)

9. The BT and Euston Towers looming in the distance

12. Go off the highroad and it has a very villagey feel

15. I love this street of coloured houses - makes me wonder why anyone would have a boring coloured house after seeing these

20. Some delapidation...

21. Now, moving up towards Highgate (but still in what i would class as 'Kentish Town' - even if the residents don't agree ). This is Little Green Street, it's been in the local news recently because the area behind it is going to be redeveloped, and little green street is the only access point for lorries....as you can see, its about 6ft wide and this will cause disruption, and 'ruin' little green street. They even have a poster....

24. Loads of cool little alley ways behind little green street...

25. Very swanky

31. I love the mix of hills, and dense Victorian style urbanism that you can find all over this part of London...

32. Pretty residential streets

36. I love a good row of terraced houses, i do..

37. Now down to Tufnell Park - a rather non-descript area, save for this gem..

38. Shame it has this pile of utter shite next to it .....what the hell is that pathetic attempt of a spire all about?? (EDIT: and can somone plant a nail bomb next to the company that makes those god awful, tacky "FOOD & WINE" signs....i really am pissed off seeing them clamped to the side of every crappy corner shop in London )

39. back down to Kentish Town now..

The End...hope you enjoyed

Last edited by NothingBetterToDo; March 2nd, 2008 at 04:05 PM.
NothingBetterToDo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 1st, 2008, 05:54 AM   #2
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8794

I love that area of London. The whole of Camden borough is definitely more interesting than your average London borough! Excellent shots and thank you!
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2008, 12:53 PM   #3
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 906

Charming place!
Mr Bricks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2008, 04:11 PM   #4
Munichpictures1970

Likes (Received): 217

Nice pictures
Old March 1st, 2008, 04:19 PM   #5
LSyd
Megalomaniac

Likes (Received): 524

sweet. i had a lot of fun visiting Kentish Town a few years back.

-

- gleegieboy
LSyd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2008, 03:53 AM   #6
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4268

Nice pictures. I like the street with the colorful houses as well. What's the name of that street?

Little Green Street looks very nice.

Is Camden borough part of London? Please explain this, I am unfamiliar with the set-up in England.
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2008, 10:38 AM   #7
jacks

Likes (Received): 19

Looks like Kentish town has been cleaned up a bit. I lived in Tufnell Park about 10 years ago and KT was the wino centre of the UK...
Nice pics.
jacks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2008, 11:49 AM   #8
Tetramesh
Undead

Likes (Received): 188

Thanks for showing those pics. The houses shown in photos 15 to 18 look a bit Notting Hill like. I must go take a look at Little Green Street the next time I'm in the area, I was not aware of it before.
Tetramesh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2008, 03:37 PM   #9
NothingBetterToDo
Better To Do Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Nice pictures. I like the street with the colorful houses as well. What's the name of that street?

Little Green Street looks very nice.

Is Camden borough part of London? Please explain this, I am unfamiliar with the set-up in England.
The road with colourful houses is called Kelly Street, but there are a few other streets with pretty coloured housing too (Leverton Street, Falkland Rd etc).

London is divided into 32 boroughs for administration purposes, and Camden is one of them (it can be confusing, because 'Camden' can refer to either Camden Town or the whole Borough). It's in North London...here's a map (look near the centre and you'll see it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetramesh View Post
Thanks for showing those pics. The houses shown in photos 15 to 18 look a bit Notting Hill like. I must go take a look at Little Green Street the next time I'm in the area, I was not aware of it before.
Yeah, i thought it was closer to Highgate - when its actually 5 mins from Kentish Town. Its easy to find, just head up The Highgate Road, and you can't miss it on the right
Old March 3rd, 2008, 04:47 PM   #10
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

Likes (Received): 2373

Looks like a nice enough place. I do like Picture 15, very quaint!
Bristol Mike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2008, 05:25 PM   #11
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4268

Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingBetterToDo View Post
The road with colourful houses is called Kelly Street, but there are a few other streets with pretty coloured housing too (Leverton Street, Falkland Rd etc).

London is divided into 32 boroughs for administration purposes, and Camden is one of them (it can be confusing, because 'Camden' can refer to either Camden Town or the whole Borough). It's in North London...here's a map (look near the centre and you'll see it)

So all of those boroughs are considered London? Is ti kind of like how New York City has the 5 boroughs of Manhattan, Brooklyn, The Bronx, Queens, and Staten Island?
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2008, 05:37 PM   #12
Tetramesh
Undead

Quote:
So all of those boroughs are considered London? Is ti kind of like how New York City has the 5 boroughs of Manhattan, Brooklyn, The Bronx, Queens, and Staten Island?
These boroughs are what administratively makes up London. However, some of the outer areas might be considered by the locals as being geographically outside of London. Bromley could also be in Kent. Croyden, Richmond and Kingston could be classed as Surrey. Hounslow and Harrow are also part of Middlesex.
Old March 3rd, 2008, 05:59 PM   #13
Stormwatch153
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Fantastic and nostalgic!!!
Stormwatch153 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2008, 06:33 PM   #14
NothingBetterToDo
Better To Do Nothing

Quote:
Yeah, Tetramesh pretty much said it all. Geographically, and politically speaking this is 'London'. Although the line around the edges is very blurred - take the Borough of Barnet (the big one in the North), the town of 'High Barnet', which gives the borough its name, is actually in the county of Hertfordshire (technically not London) - despite it being a physically connected to London, its even on the Tube.

The urban area of London extends well out in the neighbouring counties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetramesh View Post
These boroughs are what administratively makes up London. However, some of the outer areas might be considered by the locals as being geographically outside of London. Bromley could also be in Kent. Croyden, Richmond and Kingston could be classed as Surrey. Hounslow and Harrow are also part of Middlesex.
Technically speaking Middlesex doesn't exist anymore, the county was disbanded in the 1960's and replaced with various London Boroughs. Its still used as an informal term though (mainly by people who thinks it sounds 'posher' ), and there are still hospitals and a university that bare the name.

Last edited by NothingBetterToDo; March 3rd, 2008 at 06:39 PM.
NothingBetterToDo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 12:50 AM   #15
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Likes (Received): 296

I'm loving these pics why can't all streets be colourful as those....then again maybe not. the childrens program ''Balamory'' comes to mind i love them

The Camden area is such an interesting place, i should try and spend more time hanging out around there. I love the diversity in those shots, altho there are alot of Victorian terraces there. theres so many places to explore in London is hard to believe. i like that building in pic 37 although i do wonder if that guy in the alley realised he was having his photo taken oh and that outburst of rage midway through brought a smile to my face
Old March 4th, 2008, 02:23 AM   #16
NothingBetterToDo
Better To Do Nothing

A few more colourful houses

Old March 21st, 2008, 02:58 AM   #17
NothingBetterToDo
Better To Do Nothing

Here's some more that didn't make the final cut...

Old March 21st, 2008, 03:08 AM   #18
Tetramesh
Undead

Are you an estate agent in Kentish Town promoting the area because you're doing a good job of making it look nice.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 12:12 AM   #19
NothingBetterToDo
Better To Do Nothing

lol, not an estate agent - but i'll take that as a compliment .