SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Portability deadline today for homeowners

2K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  HARTride 2012 
#1 ·
Portability deadline today for homeowners
Monday, March 3, 2008

TALLAHASSEE (Bay News 9) -- Homeowners who moved from one home to another last year have until today to apply for the new portability property tax break under Amendment 1.

Previously, homeowners who had owned a house for years were trapped there if they wanted to keep their longtime Save Our Homes savings. But portability allows a one-time transfer of those savings, up to $500,000 to another home within the state.

Meanwhile, the governor's "Florida Home Ownership" task force is holding it's first meeting today in Tallahassee. The committee was created to address the state's escalating home foreclosure rate and its economic impact.

http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/...tle=Portability+deadline+today+for+homeowners

#4 ·
the ironic part is... The article is reminding folks to hurry up, else they'll lose their claim to a tax discount that in most cases, they have no earthly right receiving. Someone else is literally, dollar for dollar, subsidizing their tax bill, simply because the people who wanted a subsidized tax bill had more votes than the people they were sticking with the bill.

And then the 2nd part of the article is about how the governor has convened a special committee to figure out why the state's popluation growth has all but stopped, which is in turn fucking the economy over bigtime... Uhh, if someone can't figure that one out, then it's pretty clear they are not fit to be responsible for the lives of 19 million people, and must be removed from office immediately, before they do even more damage!

Our government has been corrupt for years, and now we're paying the price.

#7 ·
Following the watch closely, very closely, you are now becoming sleepy. When I snap my fingers and you will wake up believing that the government is working for the people.

Another cheap solution. Why the Government just give us a favor and stop coming up with half ass solutions to every problem and fix it for the long term. They think these checks we are suppose to get in may will help the economy??? How about stop increasing our taxes and bring our troops home to stop a Money hungry war! I don't wanna bring politics into this, but the government has gone down dramatically from the Reagan Era

#9 ·
Yeah, politics are pretty crappy right now, that's why I wanna run.

Maybe I can start a politics thread in the skybar to release my anger, I mean opinions, about it. If thats OK with Jason........... ;) :)

#13 ·
I'm hoping a judge will throw the whole thing out (SOH, portability and all) when the inevitable court challenge comes. Then, maybe, the Legislature will seriously rethink the system and make some meaningful changes, not just bandaids designed to appease the priviledged few. I can go along with a benefit for homesteaders, but new ones should be eligible for the same benefit when they qualify as existing homesteaders. The superhomestead was not a bad idea compared to portability. Now neither the Legislature nor the commission feels like they have a mandate to make any more changes to the system.

At least they got the cap on local ad valorem revenues right through HB1B in June 2007. That will stand to prevent locals from riding value increases to parallel revenue increases in the future, when the market picks back up (and it will eventually).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.