daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Highrises

Highrises Discussions of projects under construction between 100-199m/300-649ft tall.
» Proposed Highrises

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 14th, 2008, 03:56 PM   #21
Chicagophotoshop
Chicago Photographer

Likes (Received): 14

wow, very cool. I'm kinda surprised. (pleasantly)

Sponsored Links
Old May 14th, 2008, 04:50 PM   #22
cbotnyse
Chicago Enthusiast

Likes (Received): 26

This building is a waste of space. I think W=A should stand alone on the site and the rest made into parkland.

It adds density, which I am a big fan of, but thats one thing this area doesn't really need more of, while it has no parks that I can think of.

Any word on getting rid of the awful parking garage?
cbotnyse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2008, 05:16 PM   #23
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

According to Chicago Shawn, this one is now known as 465 North Park Drive.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2008, 05:23 PM   #24
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbotnyse View Post
This building is a waste of space. I think W=A should stand alone on the site and the rest made into parkland.

It adds density, which I am a big fan of, but thats one thing this area doesn't really need more of, while it has no parks that I can think of.
Density plus a lot of retail. As for parkland, isn't there some kind of open space between this and W=A? Plus the large park being built between Parkview West and East.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2008, 05:23 PM   #25
Helmet Yawn

Likes (Received): 0

waste of space? explain that one to me?

this is an elegant building. nice massing. i like that the garage is a defined object. as it's being done - if built- by scb, it will have a lot of quality behind the rendering.

...now if you want to see a waste of space, go to one museum park; or as i like to call it, 2/3 burj dubai.
Helmet Yawn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2008, 05:56 PM   #26
cbotnyse
Chicago Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Density plus a lot of retail. As for parkland, isn't there some kind of open space between this and W=A? Plus the large park being built between Parkview West and East.
IMO, there isnt enough open space. This is the most dense part of the city, it doesnt need more density, and I believe a beautiful building such as W=A should stand alone here. and what is "a lot" of retail? It wont add that much. Park land and open space is needed in the area, especially witha super tall already going up on the site.

There is nothing great about this building, put it somewhere else if it must go up.
Old May 14th, 2008, 06:01 PM   #27
cbotnyse
Chicago Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmet Yawn View Post
...now if you want to see a waste of space, go to one museum park; or as i like to call it, 2/3 burj dubai.
what would rather go there? That location is one of the most highly demanded spots for a residential building. You may not like the design, but OMP is not a waste of space.

A super tall is already going up on this site, why squeeze another shorter building on it when it can be used in much better ways? Its not like the area is short of rental towers. There are 2 going up a half a block away.

I really dont see what is so elegant about it either. Its a box, a standard box. its nice, but nothing special. And that tumor of a parking garage is just ugly.
Old May 14th, 2008, 06:03 PM   #28
Flubnut
4th Level of Hades

Likes (Received): 5

There's also a reasonable amount of landscaped open space between Park Drive and Columbus, stretching from Illinios to Water streets. Not a full-on park by any means, but still pretty rare in Streeterville.
Flubnut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2008, 06:27 PM   #29
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Quote:
A super tall is already going up on this site, why squeeze another shorter building on it when it can be used in much better ways?
There might not have been a supertall at all if Carley/Reschke didn't sell that portion to Hanover Co.

And who knows when, or even if, W=A will go up and at what height.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2008, 06:53 PM   #30
cbotnyse
Chicago Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
There might not have been a supertall at all if Carley/Reschke didn't sell that portion to Hanover Co.

And who knows when, or even if, W=A will go up and at what height.
I understand, but if this site must have a building, I'd like something a little more interesting without a huge brick parking garge attached to it. At the very least have the garage match the tower and I'd be happy.

I just feel like a large urban oasis getaway, along with the elegant W=A supertall, would be perfect for this location.
Old May 14th, 2008, 07:53 PM   #31
Helmet Yawn

i believe the CONCEPT of the massing is precisely that it NOT match the tower ABOVE.....which this does well.
Helmet Yawn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2008, 09:36 PM   #32
cbotnyse
Chicago Enthusiast

so you think the parking garage looks good? I guess I dont understand the concept then. I think it looks horrible.
Old May 14th, 2008, 09:48 PM   #33
prelude91

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
I understand, but if this site must have a building, I'd like something a little more interesting without a huge brick parking garge attached to it. At the very least have the garage match the tower and I'd be happy.

I just feel like a large urban oasis getaway, along with the elegant W=A supertall, would be perfect for this location.
I agree 100%. That parking garage is god awful, and ruins the entire project for me. Part of the reason Streeterville is so sterile and boring is that EVERY building has a HUGE parking podium that takes away from the streetscape
prelude91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2008, 01:13 AM   #34
Flubnut
4th Level of Hades

Likes (Received): 5

I agree. I get the concept of "massing", but it looks like a big wart. Perhaps if it had the same glazing as the tower, but in a different color? That might look interesting...
Flubnut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2008, 03:09 AM   #35
cityfan

Likes (Received): 1

So is this one approved/about to begin construction?

Indianapolis: Fastest growing metro (over 1,000,000) in the Midwest. Growth rate of 7.04% between 2000 and 2005.

http://www.census.gov/population/www...bsa-01-fmt.csv
cityfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2008, 05:08 PM   #36
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
I agree 100%. That parking garage is god awful, and ruins the entire project for me. Part of the reason Streeterville is so sterile and boring is that EVERY building has a HUGE parking podium that takes away from the streetscape
^ Actually though, much of that garage has been converted to residential units, which helps a lot. And I think you are exaggerating--parking podiums are not the reason why Streeterville is "sterile", IMO.

Anyway, what's laughable is that NIMBY's complain about the very same parking podiums that their ridiculous parking requirements beget. If NIMBY's & their Alder-joke pulled their collective heads out of their rear ends for a change, they would realize that adding more parking does diddly shit for the well-being of their neighborhood. Unfortunately, few people have such insight and the moronic behavior continues...

Last edited by The Urban Politician; May 16th, 2008 at 05:16 PM.
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2008, 05:37 PM   #37
cbotnyse
Chicago Enthusiast

TUP, I dont think its much of an exaggeration. Many of the pedestrain street walls in Streeterville are dominated by tall brick garages. Even if there is retail on the street levels, those big brick walls do contribute to a sterile environment. Its not something the neighborhood needs more of.

I would say especially so on Illinois St. I think this street could be the next major pedestrain throughfare in the downtown area. Look at all the construction on (or near) that street from Navy Pier to Michigan Ave (Peshtigo, Parkview east/west, Spire, W=A, Cityfront Plaza, St Claire, tower III) it will be completely transformed after all is said and done. And a tall red brick parking garage on the street level is not what this area needs.
Old May 18th, 2008, 06:02 PM   #38
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2008, 08:45 PM   #39
PrintersRowChemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician View Post

If you complain about parking then you're a moron, have no insight, and have no business living in a city. Get out of my face
What a joke.
PrintersRowChemist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2008, 09:00 PM   #40
cbotnyse
Chicago Enthusiast

i dont get it.

Tags
465 north park, 465 north park drive, chicago, streeterville