daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Highrises

Highrises Discussions of projects under construction between 100-199m/300-649ft tall.
» Proposed Highrises

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 29th, 2008, 10:00 PM   #41
Reaperducer

Likes (Received): 7

I went by the site today. I won't bother posting pictures because they're pretty much identical to what's been posted already.

The work being done right now is finding and removing the contaminated soil. Much of that area (and Lakeshore East, too) is contaminated with radioactive thorium left behind by the Lindsay Light Company. This is the ninth decontamination project in Streeterville since 1994.

As for the parking garage, the brick doesn't bother me if it's done right. That means street-level retail to break up the blank walls. Many of the other garages in the area are disasters because they do nothing to engage pedestrians.

But it's also bad to have the parking garage clad in glass to match the tower. After working in a glass tower all day you'd like to come home to something that feels a little more human.

I think the best we can hope for is for someone to plant ivy.
Reaperducer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 1st, 2008, 12:18 AM   #42
DeaconBlue

Likes (Received): 0

I think that there may be some misunderstanding going on here. The rendering we have of this building is a view from the south and we are looking at the south face of the parking garage. This building is on the south side of Illinois, so we have no idea what the Illinois side of the building will look like. We are only able to see the side of the building that you WOULDN'T see when walking by. It sounds like the Illinois side may have brick facing the street, per the comments from SOAR, but we have no idea at this point what it will look like.
D
DeaconBlue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2008, 12:20 AM   #43
DeaconBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician View Post
^ Anyway, what's laughable is that NIMBY's complain about the very same parking podiums that their ridiculous parking requirements beget. If NIMBY's & their Alder-joke pulled their collective heads out of their rear ends for a change, they would realize that adding more parking does diddly shit for the well-being of their neighborhood. Unfortunately, few people have such insight and the moronic behavior continues...
Is it really "ridiculous" and "moronic" to want a parking spot for your car? I live in Streeterville and I need to put my car somewhere!
D
Old June 1st, 2008, 03:14 AM   #44
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconBlue View Post
Is it really "ridiculous" and "moronic" to want a parking spot for your car? I live in Streeterville and I need to put my car somewhere!
D
^ Does EVERYBODY in Streeterville need a car?

Why must we have a parking spot for every person in a neighborhood that has plenty of shops, cabs and bus service, not to mention proximity to the most prominent retailing district between the coasts?
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2008, 04:44 PM   #45
InTheLoopSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaperducer View Post

But it's also bad to have the parking garage clad in glass to match the tower. After working in a glass tower all day you'd like to come home to something that feels a little more human.

I think the best we can hope for is for someone to plant ivy.
Definitely disagree. The benefits of an open, airy modern design filled with natural light extend to living as well as working. I think more and more people all the time are realizing this as well. Also, we're not nearly at a point where we can say that most people work in glass towers. What if you work in an historic, heavy masonry building, or a schlocky pomo tower all day that really get short-changed as far as natural light? As always, the devil is in the details - modern design, just like other styles, should have the right detail, texture, etc to humanize. IMO bad design is dehumanizing, no matter what the style.

One thing I have to say, however, is I feel this is most likely much ado about nothing with the design of this garage. As has been mentioned, what has been visible in renderings is the rear of the garage, not the stree-facing side...
Old June 2nd, 2008, 07:29 PM   #46
cbotnyse
Chicago Enthusiast

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheLoopSam View Post
One thing I have to say, however, is I feel this is most likely much ado about nothing with the design of this garage. As has been mentioned, what has been visible in renderings is the rear of the garage, not the stree-facing side...
do you have reason to believe the street side won't also be a 7-10 story, windowless brick facade?

Last edited by cbotnyse; June 2nd, 2008 at 08:19 PM.
cbotnyse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2008, 05:28 AM   #47
DeaconBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician View Post
^ Does EVERYBODY in Streeterville need a car?

Why must we have a parking spot for every person in a neighborhood that has plenty of shops, cabs and bus service, not to mention proximity to the most prominent retailing district between the coasts?
Because that's what people want! My building has a backorder of people who want more than one spot and can't get it. It's very unlikely that any household that can afford to live in Streeterville will not have at least one car. There are two of us in my home and we share a car, so at least it's not one per person. I understand your view but it's simply not realistic. Especially since a lot of the units in the area are owned by suburbanites who wanted a second home in the city!
D
Old June 4th, 2008, 06:26 AM   #48
InTheLoopSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbotnyse View Post
do you have reason to believe the street side won't also be a 7-10 story, windowless brick facade?

I wish I had evidence as strong as an Illinois St elevation - but unfortunately I haven't seen it. I don't think SCB would design the Illinois St. side or even the Park Dr. side like that. If they tried to, I think the city would try hard to persuade otherwise (even though they clearly aren't in the best leverage position as this is an already entitled project)....at any rate if I were a betting man I certainly would bet against the north and east facades of the garage (and possibly even south, when all is said and done) ending up looking anything like the South facade does in the rendering...
Old July 4th, 2008, 07:48 PM   #49
Retrograde
Chicago

Likes (Received): 4

July 2, 2008

Old July 5th, 2008, 03:56 AM   #50
Chicagophotoshop
Chicago Photographer

Likes (Received): 14

digging before caissons?
Old July 5th, 2008, 06:47 AM   #51
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

Decontamination. I think several feet of soil, contaminated with radioactive thorium, must be removed from the site.

Also, if you remember the construction processes for any of the towers in River East, you'll remember the numerous freight tunnels that criss-cross the area and must be filled with concrete before drilling can proceed.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2008, 09:08 PM   #52
clarkkent2420

RELAX

I'm not necessarily sure where people (esp. the Streeterville Organization of Active Residents) is getting their info, but the inaccuracy of the information that's been distributed regarding this project has been humorous. This project will be, in every respect, THE highest-end rental apartment building in the history of Chicago. Every aspect of the project - including the facade - has been planned so as to provide the greatest aesthetic enjoyment to its residents, as well as John Q. Public. There is NO brick, precast, or exposed concrete on the facade - whoever has been disseminating that info is egregiously wrong - it is all aluminum and glass unitized curtainwall, which (for the laymen out there) is the Rolls Royce of building enclosure systems. The building has a heated saline swimming pool, an indoor movie theatre/screening room, a full gym, rooftop pool deck with cabanas, 3 barbeques, a fully landscaped green roof, a party room 600' above grade on the 53rd floor, and every creature comfort a resident (or guest) could want....

clarkkent2420 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2008, 09:47 PM   #53
Chicagophotoshop
Chicago Photographer

so I guess I should be contacting you for renting information? being how you work there and all

Sincerely,

John Q. Public
Old July 7th, 2008, 09:50 PM   #54
Chicagophotoshop
Chicago Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkkent2420 View Post
I'm not necessarily sure where people (esp. the Streeterville Organization of Active Residents) is getting their info, but the inaccuracy of the information that's been distributed regarding this project has been humorous. This project will be, in every respect, THE highest-end rental apartment building in the history of Chicago. Every aspect of the project - including the facade - has been planned so as to provide the greatest aesthetic enjoyment to its residents, as well as John Q. Public. There is NO brick, precast, or exposed concrete on the facade - whoever has been disseminating that info is egregiously wrong - it is all aluminum and glass unitized curtainwall, which (for the laymen out there) is the Rolls Royce of building enclosure systems. The building has a heated saline swimming pool, an indoor movie theatre/screening room, a full gym, rooftop pool deck with cabanas, 3 barbeques, a fully landscaped green roof, a party room 600' above grade on the 53rd floor, and every creature comfort a resident (or guest) could want....

this is the original render. thanks for posting the new pics. we can all relax now

Old July 7th, 2008, 11:08 PM   #55
clarkkent2420

[QUOTE=Chicagophotoshop;22324174]this is the original render. thanks for posting the new pics. we can all relax now

The enlarged podium elevations I attached reflect what's happening with the parking garage, and what was approved in the PD process. The building will be pretty attractive, highly landscaped, and will be the first LEED-Silver rental property in Chicago...so it's a definite step up for the real estate in Streeterville.
clarkkent2420 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 01:11 AM   #56
cbotnyse
Chicago Enthusiast

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
This project will be, in every respect, THE highest-end rental apartment building in the history of Chicago. Every aspect of the project - including the facade - has been planned so as to provide the greatest aesthetic enjoyment to its residents, as well as John Q. Public. There is NO brick, precast, or exposed concrete on the facade - whoever has been disseminating that info is egregiously wrong - it is all aluminum and glass unitized curtainwall, which (for the laymen out there) is the Rolls Royce of building enclosure systems.
what awesome news! thank you! muuuuuuuch better.

cbotnyse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 05:03 AM   #57
3521usa

Likes (Received): 36

nice update

"a party room 600' above grade on the 53rd floor" so what's the actual height of this baby?
3521usa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 04:44 PM   #58
Chicagophotoshop
Chicago Photographer

Quote:

The enlarged podium elevations I attached reflect what's happening with the parking garage, and what was approved in the PD process. The building will be pretty attractive, highly landscaped, and will be the first LEED-Silver rental property in Chicago...so it's a definite step up for the real estate in Streeterville.
thank you for posting. I think its a HUGE improvement.
Old July 8th, 2008, 06:21 PM   #59
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 882

Quote:
As far as I'm concerned or aware no inaccurate information has ever been distributed or published of this tower. Just because the developers are stating that this will be the heighest-end rental tower, doesn't make it so. I'm sick of developers spending all their time, money and effort on just interior spaces,; forgetting that the majority of people will only see the exterior. The exteriors weren't improved until the developers arm was twisted. As a person who saw the earliest renderings of this project, I must say that the renderings you've posted are much-much better than what was proposed and that's because of SOAR. The garage on this tower was hideous and the PD stated that there should be maximum effort to place the parking underground. There was NO effort to do this. Composite panels will be used in some of the parking garage cladding. THe ammenities are all well in good, but there are other things to think about, which I've stated above. The previous design for the parking podium was utter bullshit. It was ugly and uninteresting and added no life or content to the street or neighborhood. There are already enough hulking tower bases in this town and we didn't need another.
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 06:25 PM   #60
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 882

[QUOTE=clarkkent2420;22327344]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagophotoshop View Post
this is the original render. thanks for posting the new pics. we can all relax now

This building was actually as-of-wright and didn't go through the typical PD process. It's not only a step up for Streeterville, but it's a step up from what was originally intended.
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
465 north park, 465 north park drive, chicago, streeterville