daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 5th, 2008, 01:59 AM   #1
madtony8k

Likes (Received): 1

LEXINGTON | CentrePointe | 550ft | 35 fl | Cancelled

*Note: 35 story tower cancelled, replaced by several revised designs, each lowering the height. Latest iteration calls for 19 story residential/office with smaller buildings around it.

Another value-engineered redesign and this, apparently, is how it ends:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexc5812 View Post
Revamped centrepointe design with CMMI of Atlanta as the main architect again.

http://bizlex.com/2013/10/new-centre...ment-building/

===================================================================

Previously:

New tallest tower for Lexington, Kentucky.
An article in the Lexington Herald-Leader http://www.kentucky.com/254/story/336726.html:

$250 million tower would reshape downtown

A massive $250 million construction project would add a 40-story tower to downtown Lexington and reshape one of the best-recognized corners in town.

The developers, the Webb Companies, said the project would include a major four-star, 243-room hotel, 77 residential condominium units and 38,000 square feet of retail space. It also will have a 10,000-square-foot restaurant on the top floor.

The glass-and-steel structure would be roughly as tall as the Lexington Financial Center, known affectionately as the “Big Blue building.”

The project’s developers said they plan to have the new building completed in time for the Alltech FEI World Equestrian Games in fall 2010.

The project’s reach would extend beyond the block bounded by Vine, Main, Limestone and Upper, where it will be built.

The project, known as CentrePointe, would require 1,100 parking spaces. About 650 of those will be in an underground parking garage on site.

To accommodate the rest of the parking, the developer will take some land out of Phoenix Park at Main and Limestone. Overall, the size of the park will be reduced by about one-third, they said.

With that space, they will build two levels of underground parking, 15,000 square feet of ground-level retail and a four-level parking garage above ground. They will then restore the remainder of Phoenix Park at grade level.

On the north-facing wall of the new parking structure in the park, the developers plan to add a Jumbotron screen that would allow for public showings of movies and other events.

The screens would be viewable from the courthouse plaza along Limestone.

Developer Dudley Webb said his company already has an option to buy two Jumbotron screens that are being used at the World Cup in South Africa in 2009.

The project would rely on Tax Increment Financing, which has been used to finance other mega-developments in the state, such as Louisville’s Museum Center project. In general, the program allows developers to recoup large portions of their investment in mixed-use commercial, residential and retail projects by keeping the income and property taxes generated by the project over a 30-year period. The financing would require state approval.

All of the buildings now on the site would be cleared, an idea that already has sparked some controversy among historic preservation groups. Harold Tate of the Downtown Development Authority said he has received numerous phone calls from people interested in helping existing businesses relocate, but he said those businesses also need to seek out the DDA’s help.

The Lexington Farmers Market, which is currently held on Vine Street on the block, would be moved to another site in the Vine Street area, officials said.

The developers said they haven’t decided yet what kind of hotel will be in the building; that will be announced in the next few weeks.

Developers said they hope to have excavation completed and start laying the building’s foundation in mid-August.

Last edited by desertpunk; October 4th, 2013 at 03:03 PM. Reason: redesigned project awaiting financing.
madtony8k no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 5th, 2008, 03:03 AM   #2
bigwilley

Likes (Received): 0

i will be the first poster, and i hope it gets built cuz i wanna see it
bigwilley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 03:06 AM   #3
bigash506

I'm thinking about moving to Lexington and it would be amazing to see this progress!
bigash506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 03:12 AM   #4
madtony8k

Posted by Ian604 in another thread...
Old March 5th, 2008, 03:28 AM   #5
TU 'cane
Registered User.

Likes (Received): 111

Wow, great style, I like it. Way to go Lexington.

Principle 27: The burden of debt is as destructive to freedom as subjugation by conquest.
-28 Principles of Freedom

"Political correctness does not legislate tolerance; it only organizes hatred."
-Jacques Barzun
TU 'cane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 03:39 AM   #6
MDguy

Great! Lexington already has an attractive skyline! this will make it even more! its nice!
MDguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 05:01 AM   #7
chefjeff28

Likes (Received): 45

Sweet awesome to for Lex.
chefjeff28 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 05:29 AM   #8
madtony8k

I know! This started as an article in the paper yesterday, talking about the idea of a new tower. Then today, it's on the news and in the paper- a 40 story tower that will be completed in less than two years. If there are no hangups, this will shoot up really fast! I think they are starting construction a little late to have it finished by the equestrian games. Nothing like this has been built in Lexington since the eighties! It's about time downtown is getting this attention. It appears that they have already put a lot of thought into the design and function of the building. I hope that means that it is really likely to get built.

The design looks really residential. I wonder if those platforms with railings up there will be open for observation. It looks like the rendering is showing the building from the main street side, since the little bridge would be connecting to the other buildings. The trees really make it look residential. The new street plan has main and vine streets lined with parks in their medians. I think Lexington is really going to look 'green' in a few years.
Old March 5th, 2008, 06:49 AM   #9
Ian604
Captain

Likes (Received): 46

A few quick facts

Project Name: CentrePoint
Developers: The Webb Company (Lexington KY)
Height: Approximately 430ft. - 450ft. (131 meters - 137 meters)
Floors: 40
Scope: $250,000,000

Mixed use office, hotel, condo, retail

Though not technically a TOD the project will be located one block from Lexington's transit hub in which from which nearly all the city's bus route begin and end.

The tower will be the largest LEED certified structure in Kentucky

Last edited by Ian604; March 5th, 2008 at 07:36 AM.
Ian604 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 05:19 PM   #10
madtony8k

http://www.kentucky.com/454/story/337520.html

This article says it's 406 feet of 'steel and glass'

So far it's somewhere between 406 and 450. I'm hoping for 450. I don't like the idea of the two tallest towers being the same height. It just doesn't look good.
Old March 5th, 2008, 05:27 PM   #11
madtony8k

A diagram from the http://www.kentucky.com/454/story/337520.html article showing the orientation of the building. It looks like there is some space between the building and Vine street. Maybe a little park area?
Old March 5th, 2008, 11:21 PM   #12
Demetrio11

I am not entirely convinced that this will be a good thing for downtown Lexington. It's going to destroy the neighborhood that is essential to the unique downtown culture and replace it with yet another generic mall-like structure that promotes consumerism. I moved downtown because it is the last place in Lexington that still feels like a real community. I moved downtown to get away from the malls, from parking, from the pretentious corporate restaurants. Looks like they are coming even here after all. I really hope that the existing businesses can somehow cope with this and move somewhere close by. I am going to miss this block.

Last edited by Demetrio11; March 6th, 2008 at 07:00 AM. Reason: remove link its now in the sig
Demetrio11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 12:29 AM   #13
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

i like the classic design
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 12:36 AM   #14
cees
billieron

Likes (Received): 10

pretty cool, maybe a silly question but, ,..Why on earth they do not plan the entrance in face of that small park. also, if they allready are spending a bit money, why don't the make proper underground parkinglots, so they can even improve this litle park. doesnt look too expensive to me . and what is serroundings like? any pic's
cees no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 01:43 AM   #15
phillybud

Likes (Received): 35

An attractive, but conservative design. How do Lexingtonians feel about this?
Old March 6th, 2008, 01:48 AM   #16
bigwilley

Philly i feel the same way as mad tony, it will be a little awkward to see two tallest built 20 years apart at the same height. They will be like unmatching twins, but the closer you get to downtown(uk campus area) maybe wen the transit center towers are built(project to 15 story towers) i think it will look nice i hope wat i wrote made sense
bigwilley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 06:56 AM   #17
Demetrio11

To build this thing they are planning on destroying a block that houses some of Lexington's best bars and clubs. Notably, the Dame. It's arguably the best original live music club in Lexington. Sure, they can all move. But where? They'll have to spread out. The neighborhood will not be the same.
Demetrio11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2008, 06:19 AM   #18
RON-E

Likes (Received): 35

this is an amazing project for a city of 645k in its metro. way to go lexington!
RON-E no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2008, 05:59 PM   #19
madtony8k

from yesterday's paper...

Sizing up the project
Concerns swirl over plans for skyscraper
By Beverly Fortune
[email protected]

A rendering of a 40-story skyscraper proposed for downtown Lexington has stirred debate beyond whether to preserve a dozen historic buildings on the block and the entertainment businesses they house.

A day after the project was officially announced, some architects and others raised this question: How big is too big?

The $250 million CentrePointe project -- with a 273-room hotel, 77 condominiums and 26,000 square feet of retail space -- would take the entire block bounded by Main, Upper and Vine streets and North Limestone.

"It's very troubling because of its size," said Graham Pohl, a Lexington architect who frequently writes about architecture.

Vice Mayor Jim Gray, who expressed concern about the scale of the buildings at the Urban County Council's Tuesday work session, said the Downtown Master Plan that cost $400,000 and involved input from hundreds of citizens called for a maximum building height of 15 stories in the downtown core.

"You can't ask people for their input, get community consensus and then ignore it," he said.

That recommendation in the downtown plan was taken out when the plan went before the Planning Commission for approval. The commission said it needed more study, said Harold Tate, president of the Downtown Development Authority.

Charlie Barnhart, one of the architects for the project, described the skyscraper, with a stair-step look at several different heights, as "very responsive to the scale of buildings in downtown Lexington." The base of the building is "intentionally limited to four stories in direct response to the Courthouse Area guidelines," he said.

Much of the block is in the Courthouse Design Review Area, and subject to design guidelines. One guideline said that new construction should appear similar in mass and scale to nearby buildings.

The 406-foot tower, Barnhart said, will not be seen by pedestrians on the street. "To see the tower, you have to get on the edge of the street and look straight up," he said.

To some early critics of the proposed development, drawings of the building released Tuesday appear to show other problems: stretches of concrete wall along the sidewalk, shops that can be entered only from an interior mall, skywalks and a pedestrian-unfriendly feeling.

However, Barnhart said those impressions are wrong. He said the drawing is meant to show only the building's mass, not design details such as columns and storefronts. "That's the risk of showing a design that is not finished," he said. "The design is still evolving."

On North Limestone and Upper, the CentrePointe building would have retail shops accessible from the sidewalk with large windows and awnings, Barnhart said. All retail space could be entered from the outside.

Many cities are pulling down skywalks built in the 1980s as a way to get people walking on sidewalks. The CentrePointe development shows two skyways -- one connecting the hotel to a proposed garage on part of Phoenix Park on North Limestone, another connecting to the Financial Center garage on Upper Street.

Barnhart said he did not know whether the skywalks "will ultimately survive" or be eliminated.

Others who saw the plan also questioned why it appears to be oriented toward Vine Street instead of Main Street. But developer Dudley Webb said the main entrance to the hotel will be on Main Street with a circular drive, a covered entrance, brass revolving doors and a doorman. There will also be an entrance to the hotel off Vine Street with some parking for guests.

David Mohney, former dean of the University of Kentucky College of Design, raised concerns about the heft of the project, saying it appears too large for a downtown that "is small in size and small in scale." He said he thought there was "a whole range of little tweaks" that would improve its design.

He also said it is time Lexington had a professional peer review process established for new downtown buildings where other architects offer "tweaks that can tighten up the design."

The Blue Grass Trust for Historic Preservation issued a statement Wednesday saying it is disappointed that plans for the mixed-use project show that historic buildings on the site will be razed. The city's oldest preservation group said it backed redevelopment of the block, but wants it done in a way that blends the new with the historic.

While some other mixed-use projects downtown have struggled to fill their retail space, Webb expressed confidence in filling his space because of the 77 condominiums and guests coming to the hotel. "We have critical mass that can support retail," he said.

Webb said he already has commitments for 10,000 square feet of the retail space. Part of that will be for a wine, cheese and fruit store that Webb said will be locally owned.

Next week, a meeting of the CentrePointe architects, engineers and city representatives will be held to do further planning on the project.

Webb said interested groups or citizens can ask questions or express concerns to the project's architects and engineers by calling his office at (859) 253-0000.
Old March 7th, 2008, 06:09 PM   #20
madtony8k

There is a lot of debate about this project on this thread.. http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=590639

seicer is a good source of info and opinions, since he lives in the block bordering the project. He has taken pics of the block to be razed for the project, and it's historic structures. It hosts several businesses and entertainment spots. Citizens are worried that Lexington's nightlife will be changed by the project. Here's a pic of the block to be razed..

Posted by seicer:

It involves all buildings between the photographer and the big concrete face.