daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 21st, 2008, 06:13 PM   #41
bigwilley

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nielsiej13 View Post
looks like this city needs something new..
I agree, considering a highrise hasnt been constructed since the 80's.
bigwilley no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 21st, 2008, 06:30 PM   #42
madtony8k

Likes (Received): 1

He did his research on the population, but didn't think to just find a picture of the city.. even though there are several in this very thread.

I'm disappointed

Last edited by madtony8k; March 21st, 2008 at 06:37 PM.
madtony8k no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 08:36 PM   #43
cartomanlex
Lexington Streetsweeper

Likes (Received): 4

And this one

Or this one

There are more out there.
cartomanlex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2008, 12:37 AM   #44
madtony8k

Gray suggests hotel design competition: CENTREPOINTE DEVELOPER OPEN TO IDEAS
Beverly Fortune
Mar 29, 2008 (The Lexington Herald-Leader - McClatchy-Tribune Information Services via COMTEX) --

Vice Mayor Jim Gray yesterday proposed an international design competition to come up with a possible new design for the proposed CentrePointe hotel and condominium project on Main Street.

He called the project "massive" and out of scale with downtown.

Gray met late Friday afternoon with developer Dudley Webb to propose an international competition, with Michael Speaks, new dean of the University of Kentucky College of Design, serving as an adviser to the competition.

Webb asked Gray to submit his ideas in writing. "We will look at them," Webb said. "If it's a design competition of ideas, certainly we are flexible."

While Webb would not commit to a redesign of the project, he said, "It is worth having a conversation about."

Architects for the project are Culpepper, McAuliffe and Meaders Inc. of Atlanta, partnered with Sherman Carter Barnhart architectural firm of Lexington.

Webb acknowledged criticism of the project but said that, in the last couple of weeks, "The atmosphere has gotten a little more conciliatory. Everybody wants to do what is best for Lexington."

Webb plans to attend the "Awake Lexington" event, a rally to preserve the block where the project would go, at the Kentucky Theatre at 10:30 a.m. Saturday.

Webb said the building has to be big enough to justify the cost. He projects spending $10 million just for the land. "Any architect is going to have to respect that," Webb said. "We can't have a four-story building on that site."

Also, launching an international design competition would push the completion date further into the future. When CentrePointe was announced, Webb said he wanted the project on "an aggressive schedule" so it would be completed in time for the Alltech FEI World Equestrian Games in the fall of 2010.

The design as unveiled on March 4 shows a 40-story tower that would include a major four-star hotel with 243 rooms and 77 residential condominiums with 26,000 square feet of retail space on the ground floor.

However, Webb said the height of the building has been scaled back five stories.

The proposed CentrePointe covers a block bounded by West Main, West Vine, South Limestone and South Upper. Currently on the block are 14 buildings, some eligible for the National Register of Historic Places. Plans call for razing the structures to make way for the project.

Because a portion of the block lies within the Courthouse Area Design District, the development must be approved by the Courthouse Design Review Board. The board must also give its OK to the demolition of buildings in this zone.

On Wednesday, a public hearing is scheduled for 2 p.m. in the Urban County Council chambers at the Government Center. The CentrePointe project will be presented to the board for approval or disapproval. The public also will have an opportunity to comment.

Preservationists say they want to see the block redeveloped, but with new construction done in a way to preserve some or all of the old facades. However, Webb said most of the facades are unstable and "not worthy of preservation."

Gray said the new project will have a significant impact on the economic and cultural viability of downtown.

"Big buildings alone don't make a downtown exciting," he said. "People make a downtown -- pedestrians on the sidewalk with fun things to do, small shops, cafes, creating a quality of life that stimulates economic activity downtown."

Speaks, who assumed his new post only a month and a half ago, said he had seen the CentrePointe project.

"I understand the opposition, but I understand the need for development," he said. "It's not an issue of development or not development, it's an issue of smart development or not smart development."

Speaks came to UK from California, where he taught and was head of graduate studies at the Southern California Institute of Architecture. He also taught at the University of California at Los Angeles.

An international competition would give an opportunity "to really test out the current proposal and to see what alternatives might be possible, especially given the range of design talent in the world today."

A competition would present a new opportunity to look at "not just that building, but at that site. It seems very important to meet, to retain the cultural DNA of the city" that the CentrePointe design might wipe away.
Old March 30th, 2008, 12:37 AM   #45
madtony8k

Old March 30th, 2008, 12:42 AM   #46
madtony8k

I can't believe the vice mayer called the project "massive" and out of scale with downtown!

How can a new building be out of scale, if it's smaller than the tallest building, and in an appropriate location next to other tall buildings? It is even more elegant than the other tall buildings downtown, and doesn't look nearly as dominant.
Old April 4th, 2008, 03:36 AM   #47
madtony8k

Some street level renderings of the project. To show how it will appear to pedestrians on the sidewalk.

(all From http://tomeblen.files.wordpress.com)
Old April 5th, 2008, 04:49 PM   #48
bigash506

The lower levels make it match up well with the surrounding buildings. It makes it look less massive. It would be nice to see a rendering of the whole thing
bigash506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2008, 01:23 AM   #49
madtony8k

A cool video of downtown Lexington I found on youtube.

It kind of gives you an idea of the scale of the city.
Old April 9th, 2008, 02:21 PM   #50
Classic Man

The best thing about this project is the oh-so-classy European-esque name. I'm sure Americans must be sick of seeing Center and Point spelled the way their used too, I'm sure they'll find Centre and Pointe so much more exotic. But maybe the developers should have gone all the way and named it Ye Olde CentrePointe?
Classic Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2008, 04:37 PM   #51
madtony8k

haha. that's not quite as classy as CentrePointe. And the P in the middle is capitalized for some reason.
Old April 10th, 2008, 06:09 AM   #52
madtony8k

A new website dedicated to Ye Olde CentrePointe...

http://www.centrepointelex.com/Home.aspx
Old April 18th, 2008, 05:40 AM   #53
madtony8k

This is the block in question:

from microsoft virtual earth.

It's a good place to get aerial views and 3d models of cities.
Old April 19th, 2008, 05:02 AM   #54
madtony8k

Here's something interesting I found on Youtube about the project...
Old April 29th, 2008, 10:18 PM   #55
madtony8k

I was thinking about what the new height will be...

They are scaling back the project 5 floors. So it will be 35 floors instead of 40.

If you use average floor height then 406/40 = 10.15 ft = avg height/floor

10.15*35 = 355.25 ft

But.. the project will have to be a little taller than that. The floors they are removing are probably from the tower and hotel. not the podium. The base of the building has higher floors at the retail level.

So I am guessing that the building will be over 360 feet, cut it can't be smaller than 355, unless they reduce some floor heights too.

If they are sneaky, they can increase the avg floor height from 10.15 to 11.6 and still keep a height of 406 feet.

One small assumption I made is that 406 is the top of the heighest floor. I don't think that throws my height off too much.

So we're looking at something that will be around 350 feet instead of 400 ft.
Old June 27th, 2008, 04:02 AM   #56
madtony8k

There was a vote on the 25th and the building was approved. Here is the developers website of the project:

www.cptlex.com

The project was scaled back from 40 floors to 35. However, the height was increased from 406 ft to 445 ft!!! This will be a new tallest in Lexington by 35 feet. This could be noticably taller than the blue building.

The site has several renders and a new animation of the project.
Old June 30th, 2008, 05:25 AM   #57
madtony8k

Now it's official!!! The title has been changed to approved .

The Webb companies are waiting on a 30 day period to end after the approval to begin demolition on the old buildings on the block. This is due to an appeal by the preservationists trying to save the buildings.
Old July 16th, 2008, 11:46 PM   #58
bribs03

horrible!

this is the most horrible thing i have ever seen in my life. i feel as if you are all so uneducated on what this is doing to Lexington. one reply asked how Lexingtonians feel about this? we hate it. anyone who has any sort of pride for this city knows what a disastrous decision this is. the webb company has been so selfish and greedy with this whole project. they don't care about the individuality that lexington has. now this damn building is coming in for nothing. we don't need more hotels! the people of lexington are graciously renting their homes out to the attendees of the World Equestrian Games. our hotels currently sit half empty. how do they expect this hotel to magically do business and thrive? and that's another thing we don't have enough of, another over priced set of condos. how many do we already have? about 30. anyone that reads in lexington has seen the articles that business CEOs have written about trying to keep Lexington young and keep the graduates in this city. the way to do that? certainly NOT by building more over priced condos.

this building is also destroying almost every piece of nightlife worth anything. they are tearing down historical buildings to build a new building that looks phallic. yes, we all think this building looks like a *****. welcome to lexington, folks. home of the ***** hotel! come on in!

i understand that this site is probably here to condone such monstrosities that are pointless, i don't really know. i came across this blog and had to join just to let you all know exactly how wrong you are about this building. it has inspired the largest grassroots movement in lexington's history. check out fayettealliance.com. read how they took back their conditional statement of support after the webb company behaved the way they did. read the barefoot and progressive blog that charts the court discussions and feelings of many of the lexingtonians. or check out Ace Weekly and read articles written by citizens of the city outraged by what is happening to our home.

THEN you can come on here and say this is a good idea and how amazing it will be for lexington. because all we see is crap. all we see is another empty building that bulldozed over places that we loved.

Last edited by bribs03; July 18th, 2008 at 04:07 PM.
bribs03 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2008, 01:16 AM   #59
Dale

Likes (Received): 5505

^ Well, you are on skyscrapercity. Also, if you don't want a gem like this that will add zest to your tired skyline, we'll gladly take it down here in Orlando.
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2008, 10:57 AM   #60
Gtownoe

I'm so glad I don't live in Lexington anymore. As you can see by the above poster, the city is not progressive at all....
Gtownoe no está en línea   Reply With Quote