daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > South East Asia > Singapore Skyscraper Forum > The Urban Fabric > Transport / Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 31st, 2006, 04:06 AM   #1
Charging Bull

Likes (Received): 0

CHANGI AIRPORT / Terminal 4

Terminal 4 on the horizon?
T3, replete with its unique design, is 70 per cent complete, so the authorities start plotting the future

xinyic@newstoday.com.sg

Cheow Xin Yi
EVEN as the Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore (CAAS) gave a glimpse of how its third airport terminal was shaping up, it was already looking ahead.
And outgoing Transport Minister Yeo Cheow Tong even hinted at a fourth terminal down the line.
"Although Changi Airport with three terminals is a mega airport, but if the economy continues to grow, as I'm sure it will, one of these days we are going to run out of space," said Mr Yeo at the function at which more details on Terminal 3 were revealed.
"Then we cannot just say you know, sorry, we didn't think about it. We have to always plot ahead, 20-30 years, so the idea of a T4 must be something that's at the back of our mind, which we have to start working on even as we complete T3."
Mr Yeo, who is retiring from politics, spoke to reporters on his last day in office.
The $1.75-billion T3 is already 70 per cent complete and expected to be ready by early 2008.
The terminal boasts of an environment-friendly roof as one of its most unique design feature. Butterfly-shaped reflectors are built into the roof that allows natural sunlight to illuminate the interiors.
There will also be a high-speed underground baggage sorting system to transfer bags between T1, T2 and T3.
A sky train will also link the three terminals to make transfers simpler for passengers.
Occupying a land area as large as 63 football fields, the seven-storey building will also house some 100 retail, food and beverage outlets, and is expected to boost Changi airport's annual capacity to 64 million passengers.
Asked to approximate when the fourth terminal may get underway, Mr Yeo said it was too early to go into the details.
He added that there were also plans in the pipeline to upgrade Terminal One.
T3, replete with its unique design, is 70 per cent complete, so the authorities start plotting the future
Charging Bull no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 1st, 2006, 01:28 PM   #2
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

If there were strong growth in passenger, we might finally see a mammoth terminal 4, capable of handling 40 million pax.....

(With terminal 3, pax handling capability becomes 64 million....just need a 40 million pax mammoth terminal to reach 100 million..... )
babystan03 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2006, 05:26 PM   #3
glitz_boy

Likes (Received): 2

when r they gonna build dat one ar? T3 finishing soon right? want to know when they call for tender leh .....
glitz_boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2006, 06:09 PM   #4
blizzardtweaker
****** User

not so soon, read the news it say 20-30yrs into the future
blizzardtweaker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 04:44 PM   #5
Mr.ASAP
HaVe a niCe DaY !

Likes (Received): 1

CHANGI AIRPORT / Terminal 4

Great news! from CNA

New Terminal 4 for Changi Airport, S$10m expansion for Budget Terminal

Posted: 06 March 2008 1715 hrs

SINGAPORE : Minister of State for Transport Lim Hwee Hua told Parliament on Thursday that Singapore will have a Terminal 4 at Changi Airport.

The news comes just two months after Singapore opened the S$1.75 billion Terminal 3 in January.

Meanwhile, the Budget Terminal will undergo a S$10 million expansion to increase its handling capacity.

Changi Airport's Terminal 3 got off to a flying start, serving 838 flights and 232,000 passengers in the first week of operations, after it opened on January 9.

There had been talk that a fourth terminal will be added next to the airport's proposed third runway, currently used by air force jets.

While no details were given, the Transport Ministry on Thursday confirmed that Singapore will have a Terminal 4.

Mrs Lim said, "To continue to ensure that we have sufficient capacity to accommodate growth in the aviation market, the master planning for Terminal 4 has started. In the near term, the focus will be on the expansion of the Budget Terminal and the upgrading of Terminal 1."

The Budget Terminal, which handled 2.9 million passengers since it opened in March 2006, will be expanded at a cost of S$10 million.

A total of nine low-cost carriers will operate out of it this year, including AirAsia which began plying the Singapore-Kuala Lumpur route from February 1.

These budget airlines have contributed 3.6 million or around 10 percent of Changi's passenger traffic. The number of weekly schedule flights has also climbed from 124 in March 2006 to 248 last month.

Mrs Lim said, "We will be expanding the Budget Terminal from its current capacity of 2.7 million passengers per annum to 7 million passengers per annum at an estimated cost of S$10 million. We target to commence construction in July this year and to complete the expansion by early 2009."

Today, the Budget Terminal is connected to 20 cities in the region, up from 12 cities in 2006.

The Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore said the expansion is timely as passenger traffic is expected to grow with ASEAN's goal to remove restrictions on passenger flights between ASEAN capitals by December this year.

The expansion will include another seven check-in counters, three more boarding gates and new baggage handling equipment. The kerbside at the arrival hall will be widened to create more room for arriving passengers waiting for vehicles to pick them up.

The expansion of the Budget Terminal will increase its floor area from 25,000 square metres to 28,700 square metres.

In all, Changi Airport handled 36.7 million passengers last year. But even as the growth of Changi as an air hub remains healthy, Mrs Lim said it faces stiff competition from Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok, Hong Kong and even Dubai.

She said, "Dubai International Airport, the largest aviation hub of the Middle East, is expected to overtake Changi's passenger traffic volume this year, crossing the 40 million passenger mark. Dubai is a formidable competitor for the Australia-Europe traffic. It is seeing phenomenal growth in passenger volume, with an almost 20 percent increase last year."

Thus, there will be more efforts to strengthen Singapore's status as an air hub. This includes pushing for air liberalisation and getting more airlines to fly to the city state. - CNA/ms
Old March 6th, 2008, 04:49 PM   #6
kurakura
means tortoise in malay

KLIA budget terminal is bigger and much much much more crowded than Changi's BT.

i only hope changi airport can integrate all the terminals well.
kurakura no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 05:09 PM   #7
JediAlf
May the Force Be With You

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurakura View Post
KLIA budget terminal is bigger and much much much more crowded than Changi's BT.

i only hope changi airport can integrate all the terminals well.
Compared to KLIA and Changi Airport - what do u mean by integrating terminals? Terminal 1, 2 and 3 are connected to each other. CAAS already has put aside a new PMS station at Terminal 2 for extension to Terminal 4.

MRT station at Terminal 4 is already drawn up. Winks.

It is opposite at Changi - Changi main terminals are packed and more crowded.

Budget Terminal expansion has signalled that Air Asia and other budget carriers have finally decided to move to Budget Terminal.
JediAlf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 06:29 PM   #8
ddes

Likes (Received): 259

Did I hear the report right? 9 LCCs will operate out of the Budget Terminal?

Tiger, AirAsia, Thai AirAsia, Cebu Pacific, Lion Air?, Mihin Lanka? Mandala Airlines? Indonesia AirAsia?

I'm guessing the reason why the budget airlines are moving to the BT is because CAAS is forcing them out by way of the renovation and slightly higher handling costs T1 will be when the refurbishment is over. Will Jetstar finally move? If Jetstar stays at T1, I think the securing of Jetstar Australia using Changi as a hub is a step closer to reality. If it moves, we know the answer. But it would complete the 9.

I doubt the need for a T4 though. T3 and T2 are half empty. Don't give me crap about CAAS rather have empty terminals than overcrowded ones. Except for T1 and BT, no other terminal is approaching the word, "crowded".
ddes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 07:04 PM   #9
JediAlf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddes View Post
Did I hear the report right? 9 LCCs will operate out of the Budget Terminal?

Tiger, AirAsia, Thai AirAsia, Cebu Pacific, Lion Air?, Mihin Lanka? Mandala Airlines? Indonesia AirAsia?

I'm guessing the reason why the budget airlines are moving to the BT is because CAAS is forcing them out by way of the renovation and slightly higher handling costs T1 will be when the refurbishment is over. Will Jetstar finally move? If Jetstar stays at T1, I think the securing of Jetstar Australia using Changi as a hub is a step closer to reality. If it moves, we know the answer. But it would complete the 9.

I doubt the need for a T4 though. T3 and T2 are half empty. Don't give me crap about CAAS rather have empty terminals than overcrowded ones. Except for T1 and BT, no other terminal is approaching the word, "crowded".
No. 9 out of Changi Airport, not Budget Terminal.

CAAS is expanding Budget terminal to accommodate more budget airlines from neighbouring countries when air restriction is lifted by year end.

ddes, it is not surprising that you would think this way. CAAS always plan ahead to ensure the terminals do not reach the congestion point. During peak hours Terminal 1, Terminal 2 and Terminal 3 gates are all occupied. Spaces are already allocated for airlines lounges and shops. Airport officers have learnt from the experiences in Kallang and Paya Lebar Airports that were poorly planned.

Renovation of terminals have been in constant - always change very decades. This does not force airlines to switch. In fact the spaces in Terminal 1, 2 and 3 are still limited. Scores of airlines want lounges here and there at terminals for their exclusive customers.

To you, it appears empty. But to airlines, not enough, not enough spaces. This is why much of spaces have been carved for transit passengers and airlines requirements.

Here is the official speech by Minister of State for Finance and Transport, Mrs Lim Hwee Hua

http://app.mot.gov.sg/data/s_08_03_06a.htm
Old March 7th, 2008, 02:36 PM   #10
Charging Bull

Expert/Guru guessing game:-

Changi Airport's Terminal 4 likely to be built in 10 to 15 years
By Wong Siew Ying, Channel NewsAsia | Posted: 07 March 2008 2023 hrs

SINGAPORE : Changi Airport's Terminal 4 will only be built in the next 10 to 15 years.

This is the estimate given by aviation experts.

They were responding to the announcement by the Transport Ministry on Thursday that it was working on a Master Plan on T4.

The new terminal is a massive project and local companies will be in the running for contracts expected to be worth millions of dollars.

Changi Airport Terminal 3 was initially slated to open in 2004 but it was cleared for takeoff only two months ago, so that passenger numbers could hit a critical mass.

And analysts say this same principle will guide the future Terminal 4 project.

Nicholas Ionides, Regional Managing Editor (Asia), Flight, said: "Terminal 3 itself wasn't strictly needed. Terminals1 and 2 were already able to handle the traffic that was going through, but it is preparing for the future. Hong Kong right now, they are at capacity in some ways, particularly on the runway side of things, they are looking at building a third runway. You don't strictly need that, you could improve your operations and find ways to make things better but they are thinking ahead because they have to."

Changi Airport as a whole handled more than 36 million passengers last year.

And it has the capacity to serve more than 64 million jetsetters from Terminals 1 through 3 and the Budget Terminal.

But air travel in the region is booming and there is a need for airport infrastructure to grow in tandem. to avert severe capacity shortfall.

The Airports Council International has projected the number of air passengers worldwide to reach over 9 billion by 2025.

According to some estimates, air traffic is expected to grow at 5 percent annually for the next 20 years.

Mr Ionides said: "In Asia, it's probably going to grow at a faster rate than that, probably by 6 percent or a little bit more, so it's well above the industry average. And depending on how liberalisation takes hold particularly in this region, Southeast Asia, it may grow at an even faster rate."

While it is too early to project what T4 can offer, analysts believe the newly-opened Terminal 3 will provide a good benchmark.

This means, the new terminal will likely feature innovations in IT, with top notch amenities and a strong environment theme.

Capacity-wise, it will probably add another 20 million passengers to Changi Airport.

Still, analysts say it is not just about adding capacity.

The authorities will have to work at establishing a good relationship with the airlines, offering incentives to get more airlines to fly through or to encourage existing ones to increase their services.

And to improve passenger experience, the Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore says four more airlines will join Singapore Airlines in operating out of Terminal 3 from March 26th.

They are China Eastern Airlines, Jet Airways, Qatar Airways and United Airlines. - CNA/ch
Charging Bull no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2008, 03:33 PM   #11
heirloom

Quote:

i'd rather have empty terminals, because they're just more pleasant.
heirloom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2008, 05:35 PM   #12
ddes

I can assure you jedialf, that we aren't very crowded.

Changi's growth has been stellar until recently. Numbers handled shows a dismal increase from 35 to 36.7 million. This increase is shocking compared with the region's increases, even comparing with KUL and PEK.

I don't only look at what the govt says and believe it straight away. Apparently from some other forums in the know, I can tell you for a fact that T3 is perfectly capable of handling Singapore Airlines and all the Star Alliance airlines that flies into Singapore and still be congestion free.

The time has not come for a T4.
Old March 7th, 2008, 08:38 PM   #13
JediAlf

Quote:
I can assure you jedialf, that we aren't very crowded.

Changi's growth has been stellar until recently. Numbers handled shows a dismal increase from 35 to 36.7 million. This increase is shocking compared with the region's increases, even comparing with KUL and PEK.

I don't only look at what the govt says and believe it straight away. Apparently from some other forums in the know, I can tell you for a fact that T3 is perfectly capable of handling Singapore Airlines and all the Star Alliance airlines that flies into Singapore and still be congestion free.

The time has not come for a T4.
CAAS and airlines staff know better than anyone of us in the forums. They are the ones who run the operations daily. They also have the numbers.

They are the ones who told the Government officers in the Ministry of Finance and the Ministry of Transport on what they need and what they want.

The real reason - they need mega projects to keep construction industry alive. This is the role of our Government to keep on coming up with projects that can keep Singapore going.

They know much more than we do - even more than we get in any of forums.
Old March 7th, 2008, 09:50 PM   #14
kurakura
means tortoise in malay

y not build a 2nd international airport at tuas?
kurakura no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2008, 03:27 AM   #15
Simon91

Likes (Received): 162

Better not. Beside that we would lost a army's training ground and a lots of forest, imagine passengers transferring between Changi and Tuas. Traffic congestions, time and fuel consumption, little nightmare for CAAS in working out new arrival/departure routes, while airspace here is already busy like a hell...

BTW i wonder how will T4 look like. Maybe of Beijing's T3 size Apparently it will be between central runway and East AFB, lots of room there. Maybe even AFB's runway will finally be extended and connected to Changi
Simon91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2008, 03:33 AM   #16
ddes

I know someone will contradict me for saying this, but I think T4 SHOULD be designed so that it eventually will replace T1, T2 and T3 when all phases of T4 are completed.

As for runways, many airports are resorting better runway utilization to overcome the huge costs of terminal expansion. It does not compromise on safety nor will it be a decrease in capacity.
Old March 8th, 2008, 04:15 AM   #17
JediAlf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon91 View Post
Better not. Beside that we would lost a army's training ground and a lots of forest, imagine passengers transferring between Changi and Tuas. Traffic congestions, time and fuel consumption, little nightmare for CAAS in working out new arrival/departure routes, while airspace here is already busy like a hell...

BTW i wonder how will T4 look like. Maybe of Beijing's T3 size Apparently it will be between central runway and East AFB, lots of room there. Maybe even AFB's runway will finally be extended and connected to Changi
Correct! Yes. Terminal 4 will be between the runway 02C/20C and the third runway which will be extended to the same length. Second control tower will be erected to oversee third runway and the premises of Terminal 4.

Terminal 4 may be super large - bigger than the combined Terminal 1,2 and 3. This land is big enough to accommodate hangars, maintenance facility, expansion of air base, two terminals.
Old March 8th, 2008, 04:17 AM   #18
JediAlf

Quote:
I know someone will contradict me for saying this, but I think T4 SHOULD be designed so that it eventually will replace T1, T2 and T3 when all phases of T4 are completed.

As for runways, many airports are resorting better runway utilization to overcome the huge costs of terminal expansion. It does not compromise on safety nor will it be a decrease in capacity.
Answer to replacement of T1, T2, T3 is a big NO.

Many asian airports are expanding and building bigger airport terminals that dwarf many of Europeans airports already. Hong Kong is already looking at building third runway.

Singapore already has third runway in operational. During Singapore Air Show, Third runway was used for jets to take off, including Airbus A380.
Old March 8th, 2008, 04:18 AM   #19
JediAlf

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurakura View Post
y not build a 2nd international airport at tuas?
A big NO. Tuas is reserved for industrial area.
Old March 8th, 2008, 04:24 AM   #20
JediAlf

Enough spaces to build another runway.

Changi East Air Base and third runway are visible on the right. The main terminals are on the left.

Soon we will have 4 runways - standard format for Asian airports already.