daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 9th, 2008, 07:15 AM   #1
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18143

LONDON 2007 [4] Camden Market Some More

Continuing my morning tour of Camden Market, the locks, and the surrounding streets ...

By now it was time to head to Chinatown for a forum meet with a few Hong Kong forumers living in London. Quite nice to see the blue skies, isn't it?

More photos on my website. I've added some new sections from my 2007 autumn visit : http://www.globalphotos.org/london.htm

Part 1 - http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=538449
Part 2 - http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=539469
Part 3 - http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=591835

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 9th, 2008, 11:11 PM   #2
howelee

Likes (Received): 9

london is out of date, it looks like a 3 world city
howelee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2008, 07:34 AM   #3
JoSin
\Attituded\

Likes (Received): 226

Thats really generalising. Majority of london is not in this state.

JoSin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2008, 08:27 AM   #4
Shezan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 593

fantasyland.

l love it
Shezan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2008, 09:10 AM   #5
BrizzyChris

Likes (Received): 1179

How much of Camden is now burnt?
BrizzyChris no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2008, 12:20 PM   #6
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18143

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrizzyChris View Post
How much of Camden is now burnt?
Fire funds to help Camden traders

Traders affected by the Camden Market fire in February are set to receive £750,000 of financial help.

The London Development Agency (LDA) has set up a £250,000 recovery fund for traders hit by the north London blaze, which damaged 90 market stalls.

Traders from the Canal Street market will also benefit from an additional £500,000 fund set up by markets owner Camden Market Holdings (CMH).

Six shops and the Hawley Arms pub also suffered severe damage in the fire.

'Far-reaching benefit'

The LDA's recovery fund will provide business grants and fund a publicity campaign to encourage people to return to the four markets which remain open for business.

Camden council leader Keith Moffitt said: "This is great news for the traders affected and Camden Town as a whole.

"We have been working closely with all the agencies involved to make sure the kind of support we offer has a lasting and far-reaching benefit."

CMH's separate fund will help Canal Street traders re-establish their businesses.

It was set up after the market owner pledged to give £2 for every £1 granted by the LDA.

The 9 February blaze was centred around Camden Canal Market, where a number of market stalls caught alight. A total of 35 stalls were badly damaged.

Several residents had to be evacuated from houses and flats to a rest centre at a nearby sports centre, but no injuries were reported.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/h...on/7280098.stm

Published: 2008/03/05 18:51:50 GMT

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2008, 12:37 PM   #7
Tall Rog

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by howelee View Post
london is out of date, it looks like a 3 world city
I think you are some what missing the point. If you want shiney glass boxes then london has lots of that all over the place. If you spend just a few minutes on the London threads you will see some very moden buildings in some very moden areas.. try Canary Wharf for example.

But that is why it is so important to keep Camden as it is. It makes Camden special, it is called 'character' and I hope Camden never changes. In fact I think it is important to fight to keep the ultra moden buildings out of Camden.

I have no idea what it is like after the fire. I only hope that any rebuilding retains the character of the place...
Tall Rog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2008, 01:27 PM   #8
frank hannover

Likes (Received): 25

Thank you for the tour.I was in London in 1994 and two of my friends showed me Camden , the market and all the grit , I loved it. Bringing back memories.
frank hannover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2008, 06:59 PM   #9
howelee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Rog View Post
I think you are some what missing the point. If you want shiney glass boxes then london has lots of that all over the place. If you spend just a few minutes on the London threads you will see some very moden buildings in some very moden areas.. try Canary Wharf for example.
As a student, I've been living in london for 4 years. I can honestly tell you that I didn't find any "moden buildings" here. of course you can insist Canary Wharf is modern and futuristic, as long as you have victorian eyes and appreciate buildings by european standard

except the West End and Kensington,the city as a whole looks grey and ugly, particularly the east part, proletarian slums are growing every where. Try to walk on the street of east london, you might have a feeling that you live in the capital of Kenya
Old March 10th, 2008, 07:43 PM   #10
NothingBetterToDo
Better To Do Nothing

Likes (Received): 13

Oh Please Yeah right, Canary isn't modern, nor is the Gherkin, The Lloyds Building, The Jubliee Line Extension, etc etc.
Old March 10th, 2008, 11:49 PM   #11
howelee

Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingBetterToDo View Post
Oh Please Yeah right, Canary isn't modern, nor is the Gherkin, The Lloyds Building, The Jubliee Line Extension, etc etc.
My london friend, i didn't mean to offend you. Lloyds building was the most cutting edge building when it was built in the 1970s, but that is 30 years ago, its time has gone forever. i can see you are pround of the Gherkin, but if it was built in dubai, would people even notice it? also, Jubliee line extension is nothing special, just have a look at beijing, any tube line under construction there easily dwarfs it.

everyone knows Britain was a great country and london was the greatest city in the world 100 years ago, but time has changed. if people just stay in outdated europe and don't open their eyes to the outside world, they are no different from frogs in a well, right?
Old March 10th, 2008, 11:54 PM   #12
bosman

Likes (Received): 0

Great pics, hk, I really like the character of that neighborhood. I have a minor, dumb question, though....maybe you or someone from London would know. Some of the funky stores in your pics are very narrow, and it doesn't appear like there's much room for entrances to the residences above the stores. Do residents there have to enter through the stores, or through the back of the building?
bosman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2008, 11:59 PM   #13
zodiac85

Likes (Received): 0

Friend of mine was in camden market only a few weeks back while on business in london,said there was an awful smell of piss in the place.
zodiac85 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2008, 12:07 AM   #14
Flogging Molly
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
As a student, I've been living in london for 4 years. I can honestly tell you that I didn't find any "moden buildings" here. of course you can insist Canary Wharf is modern and futuristic, as long as you have victorian eyes and appreciate buildings by european standard

except the West End and Kensington,the city as a whole looks grey and ugly, particularly the east part, proletarian slums are growing every where. Try to walk on the street of east london, you might have a feeling that you live in the capital of Kenya
God, how stupid do you sound!
Flogging Molly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2008, 01:26 AM   #15
NothingBetterToDo
Better To Do Nothing

Quote:
My london friend, i didn't mean to offend you. Lloyds building was the most cutting edge building when it was built in the 1970s, but that is 30 years ago, its time has gone forever. i can see you are pround of the Gherkin, but if it was built in dubai, would people even notice it? also, Jubliee line extension is nothing special, just have a look at beijing, any tube line under construction there easily dwarfs it.

everyone knows Britain was a great country and london was the greatest city in the world 100 years ago, but time has changed. if people just stay in outdated europe and don't open their eyes to the outside world, they are no different from frogs in a well, right?
You didn't offend me at all - but if you think London has no modern buildings then you are obviously walking around with your eyes closed.

Are you actually suggesting that London should demolish all its history and go down the road of creating garish, cheap, unsustainable 'modern' buildings like they are doing in Dubai and Beijing or Shanghai???? If this is what you were expecting from London then perhaps it wasn't the best place to come and study for 4 years.

And Europe is far from outdated my friend - just look at some of the skyscraper proposals for London, or Paris - and you will see that the vast majority of them will wipe the floor with anything in Dubai or China when it comes to quality and design (apologies for sounding arrogant - but mabey you should open your eyes to what is going on inside 'out-dated' europe, my friend)
Old March 11th, 2008, 03:17 AM   #16
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:

I'm not from London, but visit there enough to realize what you are saying is just hilarious.

For a start, I would guess you are not from Europe and seem to have a lack of appreciation of history. Modern buildings are great, and London, like any place is building them. But London, like any other city in the world should preserve their beautiful historical architecture as well. A city does need to change, but it should also look after what it already has.

If you had your way, would London, Paris and Rome be levelled to make way for endless bland highrises?

But this is how I think it really is... You come from maybe (I'm just guessing here) somewhere in Asia, possibly China. I would also guess that you are a student now living in the UK and this is your first time away from home for a long period of time.

I am also guessing that although you have fun in London, and have made some friends, many are from your own home country, and in many ways, you miss home.

Home, where you come from... possibly China, is now dominated by recently built modern buildings and this is very different to what you experience in the UK. Although there is great history in China, most of the cities now are dominated not by their historical architecture, but by modern highrises. And no major city had history in shear size as London.

So, I think it's the fact that your homesick that makes you see so much around you in negative light, and your own home country in such glowing light.

Am I correct so far? Maybe not, so please forgive me if I am wrong. However, if I am right, I predict this... Your homesickness will get stronger and stronger and you will be glad when you finally get home to China. At first, it will be like a honeymoon. You will be back with your friends, back with your family, and back with your cherished modern buildings. But after a year or so, you will start to tire of these buildings and will fondly remember the historical streets you now find so tired and depressing.

Now here is my recommendation. Start to appreciate what there is around you. Appreciate that it is different to the city you are from in Asia. You don't want it to be the same, do you? Your time in London is short, and soon you will be back home, so make the most of your time there.
Old March 11th, 2008, 10:06 PM   #17
howelee

Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingBetterToDo View Post
You didn't offend me at all - but if you think London has no modern buildings then you are obviously walking around with your eyes closed.

Are you actually suggesting that London should demolish all its history and go down the road of creating garish, cheap, unsustainable 'modern' buildings like they are doing in Dubai and Beijing or Shanghai???? If this is what you were expecting from London then perhaps it wasn't the best place to come and study for 4 years.

And Europe is far from outdated my friend - just look at some of the skyscraper proposals for London, or Paris - and you will see that the vast majority of them will wipe the floor with anything in Dubai or China when it comes to quality and design (apologies for sounding arrogant - but mabey you should open your eyes to what is going on inside 'out-dated' europe, my friend)

My london friend, that's a good argument. I also admire london for its historical buildings, they are beautiful,especially Kingsinton, it is probably the most posh residencial area in the world. it's a good thing to preseve histrorical buildings for this reason. But people also like to enjoy life in modern spaces, we are talking about skyscrapers here, this is a forum exclusively for highrises and modern architctures. so when it comes to modern architectures, I would say there is nothing in london can be viewed as "world class". With a few exception, london's highrise after the WAR were terribly designed,these ugly monsters have undermined london's reputation as a gorgeous historical city. only after 1990s, some good looking towers began to grow in this city.

having been living in london for 4 years, i know this city better than lots of locals. I've seen all london's skyscaper proposals, none of them are impressvie,including the SHARD,this is what i can honestly say. Competing with asian or US cities for "modern", london would definitely lose the game. So I guess it is more wise for london to keep its own characteristic and continue gaining its fame by historical buildings,rather than skyscrapers.

by the way, my london friend, as i see from you travel list, you are quite eurocentric, aren't you? london, dublin, prague....why not go to other parts of the world, to look at those "garish, cheap, unsustainable 'modern' buildings" in shanghai or dubai? perhaps you will feel more pround of london's achivement in modernization then.
Old March 11th, 2008, 10:26 PM   #18
Flogging Molly
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Oh my god! You really are a dummy!
Flogging Molly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2008, 10:54 PM   #19
NothingBetterToDo
Better To Do Nothing

Quote:

by the way, my london friend, as i see from you travel list, you are quite eurocentric, aren't you? london, dublin, prague....why not go to other parts of the world, to look at those "garish, cheap, unsustainable 'modern' buildings" in shanghai or dubai? perhaps you will feel more pround of london's achivement in modernization then.
Err, budgetary and time constraints have held me back from travelling as excessively as i would like....as a student you will understand how hard it is to go jet setting half way around the world.

I don't understand the point you are trying to make, London has historic buildings (you you have just commended) and is widely regarded has having world class examples of modern architecture (despite your personal opinion).

Why should London try to copy Asian or American cities??? - this is not what London/Europe is all about. You seem to be arguing for all european cities to become filled with the same homogeneous 'modern' buildings that exist in Shanghai or Dubai. What most people want is a healthy mix of old and new buildings - which is something severely lacking in the cities you seem to favour. Its a different way of doing things, you can keep your cities filled only with 'modern' glass and stainless steel buildings, and we will keep our mix of history and high quality new buildings.

Anyway, i'm bored of this argument now.

Back to the fantastic pics of Camden......

Last edited by NothingBetterToDo; March 11th, 2008 at 11:02 PM.
NothingBetterToDo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2008, 11:41 PM   #20
howelee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme View Post
I'm not from London, but visit there enough to realize what you are saying is just hilarious.

For a start, I would guess you are not from Europe and seem to have a lack of appreciation of history. Modern buildings are great, and London, like any place is building them. But London, like any other city in the world should preserve their beautiful historical architecture as well. A city does need to change, but it should also look after what it already has.

If you had your way, would London, Paris and Rome be levelled to make way for endless bland highrises?

But this is how I think it really is... You come from maybe (I'm just guessing here) somewhere in Asia, possibly China. I would also guess that you are a student now living in the UK and this is your first time away from home for a long period of time.

I am also guessing that although you have fun in London, and have made some friends, many are from your own home country, and in many ways, you miss home.

Home, where you come from... possibly China, is now dominated by recently built modern buildings and this is very different to what you experience in the UK. Although there is great history in China, most of the cities now are dominated not by their historical architecture, but by modern highrises. And no major city had history in shear size as London.

So, I think it's the fact that your homesick that makes you see so much around you in negative light, and your own home country in such glowing light.

Am I correct so far? Maybe not, so please forgive me if I am wrong. However, if I am right, I predict this... Your homesickness will get stronger and stronger and you will be glad when you finally get home to China. At first, it will be like a honeymoon. You will be back with your friends, back with your family, and back with your cherished modern buildings. But after a year or so, you will start to tire of these buildings and will fondly remember the historical streets you now find so tired and depressing.

Now here is my recommendation. Start to appreciate what there is around you. Appreciate that it is different to the city you are from in Asia. You don't want it to be the same, do you? Your time in London is short, and soon you will be back home, so make the most of your time there.

Thank you for you comment, I agree most of what you said, mabybe I exaggerated london's backwardness, but i still hold a view that London, Britain and even the whole Europe is declining and becoming "outdated" quietly.

when I said "outdated", it doesn't only refer to the buildings, I also mean technology, economic progress,and people's ambitions. In these respects Europe doesn't have the leading edge over other countries any more, as it did in 1930s. but it seems that people here are still more or less eurocentric, few realize or care about the danger of being left behind, just like some londoners who are pround of Canary Wharf's skyline, they didn't know it was actually second or third world class.

Of course you can say Canary Wharf is the world's number one financial cerntre, you can say skyscapers is not a symble of prosperity, and tons of modern buildings in beijing doesn't necessarily mean it has transformed into a modern city. But why are people fuss about skyscapers and modern designs on this forum?

Britain is among top countries in Europe, so the trend of declining is still not that obvious. Look at Italy, look at Spain, they were once great empires, but now "sickman of Europe". Will Britan, France or Germany follow the steps? no body can predict, but people tend to judge things by want they see at first sight, as I've been always believing, the future sometimes lies in the skylines.