daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 18th, 2008, 05:27 PM   #41
legumbre
herculino

Likes (Received): 1

Great pictures! But I remember Camden with more people.
Ruego a Su Majestad desista pugnar por esta costa. Hemos perdido una veintena de naves en esta embocadura. Espero que el alma de los caídos sea recompensada por esta mar. Yo mismo he conocido por fin el desasosiego. Esta dársena es indomable mientras esa hechicera conjure a sus habitantes. Combatían sin temor a mis galeones, bajo amenaza de que si cedían la tierra, sus almas y las de sus hijos nunca encontrarían la paz en otra comarca. Maldición a la que llaman “morriña”.
*Francis Drake
legumbre no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 18th, 2008, 05:37 PM   #42
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishevy View Post
It's true, many Asian cities have a shiny, modern skyscrapered downtown areas with shanty towns just a few miles away.... and it's much, much, worse than London, it's not even comparable! I don't think East London is a slum in a modern sense of the word, a more precise definition would be a bad neighbourhood or a bunch of bad neighbourhoods.
True. And much of the East End that some may describe as slums, are hardly that. Around Brick Lane for instance, looks quite run down, but it is hardly a slum, just gritty. Bankers don't go to slums to dine, and Brick Lane (and the area's around) are teaming with city high flyers eating out, amongst of cause people from all over London.

A slum is a seriously bad place which is usually too dangerous for the average citizen to visit.

By the way. People should check some of the house prices in these so called slums of London.
Old March 18th, 2008, 05:40 PM   #43
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by legumbre View Post
Great pictures! But I remember Camden with more people.
Sunday is the busiest day from my experience. Then, there are often so many people that they spill onto the streets causing all sorts of traffic problems.
Old March 18th, 2008, 10:35 PM   #44
Mishevy
Smelly cat...

Likes (Received): 72

That's great. My city (Ljubljana) is usually deserted on Sundays.
Old March 18th, 2008, 11:13 PM   #45
Blackpool88

Likes (Received): 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by howelee View Post
As a student, I've been living in london for 4 years. I can honestly tell you that I didn't find any "moden buildings" here. of course you can insist Canary Wharf is modern and futuristic, as long as you have victorian eyes and appreciate buildings by european standard

except the West End and Kensington,the city as a whole looks grey and ugly, particularly the east part, proletarian slums are growing every where. Try to walk on the street of east london, you might have a feeling that you live in the capital of Kenya
May I ask why on earth you chose to study at one of London's many world class educational facilities if you detest the place so much? Its bizarre that a third world city like London can attract international students like yourself from gleaming metropolises in Asia. Might I also add, that as a student I lived in Mile end which is pretty much the heart of the historic East end and if you think they are slums comparable to Asian slums then you really must not have been there! For starters a house or flat to buy in this area would set you back a few hundred grand!

Anyway... I love camden, the best thing about it is the range of food you can get on the markets absolutely delicious!
Blackpool88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2008, 06:32 PM   #46
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18143

I did take these on a Sunday.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2008, 06:37 PM   #47
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 6420

Camden has less people in it now, the new market as the place to be is Brick Lane, and maybe Spitalfields market next door - thats where you see the latest designs, streetwear and fads that Camden unfairly still takes the moniker for. Camden is passe, haunt of tourists and cybergoths stuck in the 1990s, but still utterly unique and gritty.
the spliff fairy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2008, 06:55 PM   #48
Cocolicchio
Excessively Rational

Likes (Received): 13

*sigh* oh I do love Camden, the place where I mostly hang around with my friends, I haven't been back since the fire though, when I heard the news I felt like crying, lol (not really) but yeah, it's one of those places which people fall in love with, despite the grit and dereliction...that's what's special about it.

Thanks for those wonderful photos my good sir, hats off to you
Old March 21st, 2008, 02:36 PM   #49
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
I don't think the rest of the Underground looks anything like the Jubilee Line extension.
I didn't say that. He said that it was "not that special" and I disagree with him.

Quote:
The older stations have been re-done, but they're still cramped with narrow staircases and a maze of tunnels that don't necessarily connect efficiently at interchanges.
That's what makes them "unique" and "special", it is cramped, and the cramped Victorian-ness is what gives it it's atmosphere. Most of the Tube is far more aesthetically pleasing than Chinese Metros as well IMO.

Quote:
Functional architecture rules the day.
No it doesn't. Not here anyway, most new architecture on public transport is more bold these days.
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2008, 01:46 AM   #50
Assemblage23
Übereinstimmend

Likes (Received): 8223

I really like Camden the way it is. It has an atmosphere that can only be found there.

Great pictures.
Assemblage23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote