search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Liverpool Metro Area > Liverpool Construction Projects

Liverpool Construction Projects Developments being built on Merseyside

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 35 votes, 5.00 average.
Old March 12th, 2008, 12:57 AM   #1
franno

Likes (Received): 1

Festival Gardens | Otterspool | Restored Gardens & Apartments

I am unsure if it has been seen already, but I recently came across the below image at the corresponding website, http://www.festivalgardens.co.uk/

Festival Gardens covers a large area, and a grand scale park/garden is a much needed addition. There is certainly demand for this type of development, and certainly a demand to do something with this unused waste of space. Prime space.

Surely this must be going into development soon!? Right? Anyone with information care to contribute?...
franno no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 12th, 2008, 01:03 AM   #2
Scarecrow
Fugly

Likes (Received): 1990

Liverpool Gardens? Reminds me of a seventeen year old news report on some god forsaken housing estate down south.
Old March 12th, 2008, 12:42 PM   #3
Chris B
Liverpool - Est. 1207

Likes (Received): 10020

Quote:
Originally Posted by franno View Post
Surely this must be going into development soon!? Right?
You'd think wouldn't you. But it's currently completely bogged down in planning. The residents along Riverside Drive are unhappy with the apartments to be built on the site, saying it will take away green space. However most of them will be built on the former dome site and car park, with only those along the rivers edge being built on anything remotely green. They also forget that their properties were built on former green space of the 1984 Festival as well.

They also claim it will increase traffic problems, which I do agree it could. But traffic calming measures and proper junction design could limit this impact.

Ultimately they want someone to come along, re-furbish the entire site, re-open it to the public, and maintain it from then on. While that would be ideal, that would cost millions, and no-one anywhere is going to spend millions of pounds and not expect a return on their investment, which this would never achieve.

The inclusion of apartments would provide enough money to re-furbish the remaining park land, and re-open it as another public park, and to give the developer an ROI. As such this is an entirely feasible scheme, that hopefully will get out from planning in the near future.
Old March 12th, 2008, 01:09 PM   #4
JUXTAPOL
800th birthday in 2007

Likes (Received): 5

Agree Chris, this is a bit of NIMBYism, there were no residents when their homes were built to claim "increased traffic problems".

I would rather this wasn't built on also, build the other areas of the city that really need it, but we all know this is actually part derelict land, brownfield, and no one is going to build and maintain a loss making park costing millions these days.

I would have preferred that whole area to be a park with no housing at all, what with it being an ex tip, we could all enjoy the open space or forrest areas, if it weren't for those houses they built.
JUXTAPOL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 12:09 PM   #5
franno

FRESH NEWS:

Developer chosen for resort site
Developer Urban Splash has been chosen for the multimillion pound regeneration of Southport seafront.
The stretch of land, known as Southport Marine Park, includes the site of the now closed Pleasureland amusement park.

Sefton Council said it was impressed by Urban Splash's idea to create a quality, eco-friendly development in the historic Merseyside resort.

A consultation will take place later this year to help devise a detailed masterplan for the site.

Urban Splash has won more than 200 industry awards and is currently working on major schemes across the north west of England.

Tony Corfield, Sefton Council's head of tourism, said: "We are delighted to have an opportunity to work with Urban Splash who have an international reputation for delivering the levels of design and quality we are determined to achieve.

"During their impressive submissions, Urban Splash has vowed to create a distinctive new attraction featuring a wide range of activities.

"The company is also keen to work with the local community to produce a quality, eco-friendly development which includes exemplary architecture and embraces our reputation as England's Classic Resort."
Old April 1st, 2008, 10:54 PM   #6
franno

ignore my above post, i got it confused with the southport pleasureland, when i thought it was the pleasure island on otterspool front....

Old July 10th, 2008, 01:01 PM   #7
Chris B
Liverpool - Est. 1207

Is this a little bit of common sense I see?

From the Echo -

Quote:
Go ahead to build 1,400 homes on Garden Festival site

Jul 10 2008

PLANS to develop Liverpool’s neglected festival gardens were today approved by the government.

The controversial £250m scheme will see almost 1,400 homes built on the Otterspool site and 67 acres of overgrown gardens brought back to their former glory.

The plans were opposed by environmental campaigners who claimed it would cause a “catastrophic loss” of trees and open space.

Developer Langtree McLean had hoped to reopen the restored Chinese and Japanese gardens as soon as this summer.

But the project stalled when the government called it in for a public inquiry which started in October last year and finished in January.

Today communities secretary Hazel Blears, who had the final say, announced her verdict.

She decided the garden festival scheme would have “positive and substantial regeneration benefits” and was “economically viable”.

Ms Blears said there was “no evidence to support the suggestions that excessive profits would be made or that a scheme with fewer housing units would be able to fund the proposed park”.
Article continues here - http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liver...0252-21318833/

Last edited by Chris B; July 10th, 2008 at 02:01 PM.
Chris B no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2008, 08:42 PM   #8
Chris B
Liverpool - Est. 1207

From the BBC News article on this development here - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/m...de/7500090.stm

Quote:
But local resident Dave Jones believes the site should have been opened up and left for the people of the city.

He told BBC Radio Merseyside: "I'm extremely disappointed, albeit not surprised.

"At the end of the day, money talks and this is just another in a long line of missed opportunities for the city.

"We let the overhead rust away, we've allowed it to fall into dereliction and this would have been an ideal place to develop for the citizens of Liverpool."
It's funny how different people see things. I personally feel that leaving the site as it is, in the vain hope of someone coming along, willing to restore and maintain the gardens with no return on their investment (never gonna happen), would be a missed opportunity. All being well we will have restored gardens and parkland for the people of the city to use in the not too distant future, rather than seeing the site rot for yet more years.
Old July 10th, 2008, 08:49 PM   #9
woody
Liverpool + Urmston

Likes (Received): 2015

Yes good news, to preserve the park but I am still not happy with those McLean apartment blocks. I thought we had "FESITVAL Gardens " thread?
Old July 10th, 2008, 08:57 PM   #10
Chris B
Liverpool - Est. 1207

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody View Post
Yes good news, to preserve the park but I am still not happy with those McLean apartment blocks.
I don't mind the blocks in general. The only ones I'm a bit 'iffy' with are the riverside ones. I understand the need for these as they will likely command a higher price, hence helping to support the economics of the scheme. However the fact they are to be built on green land, rather than already concreted over land like the remainder, does make me just a little less supportive of this individual aspect of the scheme, than I am of the rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody View Post
I thought we had "FESITVAL Gardens " thread?
I've just searched for it, and you're right, apparently we do have one, but it hasn't been posted in since the start of November last year, and doesn't have the latest information contained in this thread.

Last edited by Chris B; July 10th, 2008 at 09:32 PM.
Chris B no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2008, 10:23 PM   #11
eyeam

Likes (Received): 91

I support this scheme but yeah, the apartment buildings could definitely do with a bit more variety and interest. Especially the riverside ones.
eyeam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2008, 10:50 AM   #12
Chris B
Liverpool - Est. 1207

From the Daily Post -

Quote:
Credit crunch delays Garden Festival site scheme

Jul 11 2008 by David Bartlett, Liverpool Daily Post

SIGNIFICANT work to transform Liverpool’s derelict former International Garden Festival site is unlikely to start for another 12 to 18 months, despite receiving permission from Whitehall yesterday.

The credit crunch may also lead to a change to the phasing of the £250m scheme, which includes 1,308 apartments and 66 town houses on the site.

Planning practicalities and the year’s delay brought on by a public inquiry means that a lot remains to be done behind the scenes before work on the Otterspool site can start.

Last night, the Langtree McLean partnership insisted their first priority was to deliver a high-quality 56-acre park, including the restoration of the Japanese and Chinese Gardens, as previously promised.

The developers also said they were confident of the scheme’s success.

Campaigners from Save the Festival Gardens said they were not surprised by the result of the planning inquiry, and would be meeting to discuss the group’s options.

Yesterday, Communities Secretary Hazel Blears approved planning permission given by Liverpool City Council for the project following a public inquiry which ended in January.

Liverpool council and Langtree McLean will now sit down to agree a timetable for work to start.

Frank Reil, group managing director of David McLean Holdings, said: “We have got to re-evaluate the current position of the market. We don’t see this as a short-term scheme, but as a long-term scheme, as you don’t develop a project like this overnight.”

He said there was still a lot of work to do on the detailed planning aspect of the scheme.

It had been hoped that work might start on site this year, but that now seems impossible.
Continues here - http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/...4375-21323468/

Disappointing, but not entirely surprising I suppose.
Old July 11th, 2008, 12:20 PM   #13
markonasty

The design of the apartment blocks is shocking; it amazes me how Local Authorities let developers get away with poor design in today’s current climate in terms of design quality.

I would like to see a Millennium Village here another great example of housing design is Upton in Northamptonshire.

We really need to get away from the red home estates that have plagued this country since the 1980's. I am all for this development and welcome the restoration of the gardens but this will just end up looking like the other McLean developments down the road.
markonasty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2008, 11:11 AM   #14
Babaloo
Fiat Lux

Likes (Received): 2

Let's hope that the developers make use of the 'time out' visited upon them by the credit crunch to come up with a better design for the buildings - I like the parkscape. They could spend 12 months appraising what works/doesn't work in similar settings across Europe. Just because we're a port city doesn't mean that you can get away with tossing out ship-based designs (the blocks closest to the promenade) and that university campus with a touch of a cheap ski-resort look for the rest if the site isn't going to wear well on the banks of the Mersey.
Babaloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2008, 04:05 PM   #15
PhilG
Liverpool

Likes (Received): 45

Bad news

Quote:
David McLean Holdings today plunged into administration putting 320 jobs at risk.

The Deeside-based house builder, building contractor and property developer operates in the North West, the Midlands, South Wales and the South West.

Nick Edwards, Bill Dawson and Carlton Siddle of Deloitte, the business advisory firm, have been appointed as the joint administrators of the £160 million turnover firm.

The directors had for some time been trying to restructure the group following the downturn in the residential property market.

The vast majority of the 320-strong workforce are expected to lose their jobs.

Joint administrator Nick Edwards, said: "While the property downturn has impacted the group's cash flow, the land and property assets are high quality, and combined with the excellent reputation of the group, should make the house building division an attractive prospect for potential purchasers.

"We are continuing to trade this part of the business whilst we seek a buyer.

"The contracting division has struggled to generate a critical mass of profitable contracts, and regrettably we have had to take the decision to close that part of the business, other than retaining a significantly reduced headcount to work with customers to complete or transfer limited works on outstanding contracts."

David McLean was the joint venture partner on Liverpool's Garden Festival £250 million regeneration project alongside the Langtree Group.

Langtree managing director John Downes said the project may now be delayed, but added that it will not be scrapped.

He said: "This news will inevitably delay progress a little but will not stop the project. Langtree remains absolutely committed to delivering the scheme. Having recently secured planning permission we are currently drawing up the site remediation and garden management strategy required for the site to move the scheme forward.

"We will of course work with the administrator of David McLean Holdings to progress the scheme and until a permanent solution is found to their issue."
Obviously not the best of news.
Old October 27th, 2008, 06:31 PM   #16
Radley

Likes (Received): 20

from Place North West...

Langtree 'ready to tackle festival site' without McLeans
27 October 2008, 16:22

Langtree today responded to news that its joint venture partner David McLean Group had been placed into administration, saying it would plough on with the revival of the International Garden Festival alone if needed.

John Downes, managing director of Langtree Group, said: "This is disappointing news for David personally and for the many people employed within his business. They have delivered many complex projects over the years that rightly earned them a good reputation.

"David McLean Holdings was our joint venture partner on the restoration and development of Liverpool's Garden Festival site. This news will inevitably delay progress a little but will not stop the project. Langtree remains absolutely committed to delivering the scheme.

"Having recently secured planning permission we are currently drawing up the site remediation and garden management strategy required for the site to move the scheme forward.

"Langtree Group is in a very strong financial position with a healthy balance sheet and has the ability to deliver the project on its own, if needed. We will of course work with the administrator of David McLean Holdings to progress the scheme and until a permanent solution is found to their issue."

After a lengthy planning battle and successful public inquiry, Langtree/McLean gained permission to build 1,300 apartments, 66 town houses and a waterside park on 56 acres of the former International Garden Festival site in south Liverpool.

The infamous site was largely derelict since the 1984 festival, devised by Michael Heseltine, the Conservatives' then secretary of state for the environment, to promote the area to developers.
Radley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 04:39 PM   #17
Tony Sebo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 14

Any more news on this one men?

Last I saw there where plans for some sub-urban type brown houses and appartments. I think they should look at the Thames Barrier park for good ideas on how to develop adjacent and overlooking areas of a riverside park!

I don't mean they should redesign the gardens themselves greatly, rather that tall, white buildings, mroe reminiscent of seaside art deco and ocean liners is more applicable in waterfront Liverpool than stuff that apes milltown vernacular!
Tony Sebo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 07:42 PM   #18
Chris B
Liverpool - Est. 1207

A few weeks ago, NWT ran a report to mark the 25 years since the Garden Festival opened. As part of that, they mentioned that Langtree still believed the site would be developed at some point, and they were looking for others to work with them to achieve that. So in other words, the intention still exists to re-develop the site, but don't expect to see anything happen on site any time soon.
Old May 27th, 2009, 08:30 PM   #19
Tony Sebo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 14

that may be a good thing (non-development) given the utter banality and waste of the current proposals.. the last ones I saw at any rate.

Thanks chris
Tony Sebo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2009, 11:16 AM   #20
Babaloo
Fiat Lux

Likes (Received): 2

I agree with that, too. My fear for this site is that it will end up replicating what is on the other side of Riverside Drive which is even worse than what was being proposed here.

Not even under pain of death should Bellway Homes ever be allowed to get their mits on this one.
Babaloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: