daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area > Manchester Construction Projects

Manchester Construction Projects Projects being built in Manchester

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 30 votes, 4.87 average.
Old January 11th, 2012, 08:10 PM   #701
Farsight

Likes (Received): 141

I looked at the massings. Sheesh, mediocrity is the word all right. What a missed opportunity. Is there any relevance to the post above which mentions CABE and Places Matter design review underway ? From what I've picked up, when CABE are involved, you end up with squat low-rise drek filling the plot and so leaving buggar-all public space, all gilded like a turd with arrogant high-minded phrases like world class.
Farsight no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 11th, 2012, 08:29 PM   #702
monkey_rat

Likes (Received): 49

I hope they have the sense to include some units at the ground level of the NCP - otherwise it will be a fairly barren space.
monkey_rat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2012, 04:59 PM   #703
flange

Likes (Received): 639

Not looking too bad. Plus the smallest look at the Cornerhouse Library Theatre building looks like an all black building.

Quote:
First image of wider First Street plans

18 Jan 2012, 15:48

The Melia hotel is in the foreground to the left, next to the silver-grey cultural centre. The gold building is a car park and unnamed hotel. To the right is the existing One First Street building.

Ask Developments has issued the first image of how Manchester's First Street could look when it's fully built out.

The move came as it confirmed it had signed up the Spanish hotel group Meliá Hotels International for a 208-bed, 4-star hotel hotel with a development value of £25m.

Place reported Meliá was close to sealing the deal on 11 January.

The Manchester hotel will be Meliá's third in the UK but the first to carry its Innside brand.

Chief executive and vice chairman of Meliá, Gabriel Escarrer, said: "We are hugely excited about the culture-led vision for First Street in Manchester, a world-class city, ready for an Innside-brand hotel. Within our strategy to expand in the main European cities, the group is looking forward, subject to planning approval, to being located at such a vibrant destination."

The hotel will be an anchor tenant for the First Street development alongside the proposed 60,000 sq ft, £20m cultural centre incorporating the merged Cornerhouse and Library Theatre Company.

Plans for the hotel and the culture building will be submitted to Manchester City Council on 23 January. They cover a total floor space of 500,000 sq ft.

The cultural centre has been designed by Dutch architect Mecanoo but a series of other buildings have been designed by Ian Simpson Architects including the Melia hotel, a 700-space multi-storey car park, a 12-storey budget hotel and 30,000 sq ft of retail/leisure over 8-10 units.

There will also be a spacious new public square equipped to host a variety of outdoor events and performances, together with a partially-covered arcade connecting through to Whitworth Street West and Oxford Road Station. Townshend is the landscape architect.

A planning decision is expected in April 2012 and if approved, construction is scheduled to start in July 2012 and it will be operational by summer 2014.

Ask's chief executive Ken Knott said: "Meliá's announcement, together with the detailed planning application for 500,000 sq ft, is a milestone moment for First Street.

"Anchored by the new home for the merged Cornerhouse and Library Theatre Company, the scale and quality of this development will transform its destination characteristics attracting up to 1m people a year and creating the amenities and sense of place so critical to attracting office occupiers to the 1m sq ft of affordable high quality floorspace proposed."

Manchester City Council leader Sir Richard Leese said: "The First Street North scheme and Meliá's choice of the city centre as their first UK investment for the Innside brand, is a multi million pound vote of confidence in Manchester's vision and ambition and is especially welcome in the current economic climate.

"The new cultural facility will be at the heart of the regeneration of the First Street site and beyond and a catalyst for attracting further jobs and investment. The wider developments are clear evidence that this important strategic project is gathering pace. As well as driving growth within First Street, one of the regional centre's key regeneration sites, it will stimulate the wider area including the Whitworth Street corridor."
http://www.placenorthwest.co.uk/news...eet-plans.html

Last edited by flange; January 18th, 2012 at 05:05 PM.
flange no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2012, 06:06 PM   #704
marvin hagler

Likes (Received): 5

First Street looks really smart as it is but a little isolated. St Peters Sq out to GMEX and the Bridgewater Hall and on to First Street is becoming a really smart part of Manchester and I am quite happy about that as I live about 1/2 mile from there. Not sure we really need another hotel, but I like the sound of the Theatres. Excellent transport links too with 3 train stations nearby and the tramline so an excellent location for a visitor and leisure attraction like Theatres. And restaurants will follow

I wonder what will happen to the Cornerhouse
marvin hagler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 10:32 PM   #705
heatonparkincakes

Likes (Received): 303

Well the consensus on here is that

We would like to stay a bar

But we expect Tesco.
Old January 19th, 2012, 10:52 PM   #706
Seasonedbest
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

The Cornerhouse cafe/bar is one of the best bars/meeting places in Manchester, if not the best. It’ll be a three floor club.
Seasonedbest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 11:36 AM   #707
TheGrand

Likes (Received): 15

Are The Cornerhouse not able to keep the bar/restaurant open? It must make a bit of money
TheGrand no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 03:51 PM   #708
flange

Likes (Received): 639

License has gone online today for what looks to be the whole First Street scheme.

Quote:
First Street Estate, First Street, Manchester, M15 4FN

Application Type
Premises Licence (New)

Proposal

Proposed trading hours for the supply of alcohol for consumption on the premises only:
Sun to Wed 1100 to 2300
Thur to Sat 1100 to 2400

Proposed trading hours for the provision of regulated entertainment (plays, films, live music, recorded music and performances of dance):
Sun to Wed 1100 to 2300
Thur to Sat 1100 to 2400

Proposed trading hours for entertainment of a similar description to
making music or dancing:
Sun to Wed 1100 to 2300
Thur to Sat 1100 to 2400

Proposed trading hours for the provision of late night refreshment:
Thur to Sat 2300 to 2400

Proposed opening hours for the premises:
Mon to Sun 0000 to 2400
http://www.manchester.gov.uk/info/50...applications/9
flange no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 04:20 PM   #709
guy debord

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrand View Post
Are The Cornerhouse not able to keep the bar/restaurant open? It must make a bit of money
I heard a rumour that it's stipulated in the deal that when the Cornerhouse moves the existing building cannot be used as a bar, gallery or cinema.

So it looks like Manchester's best cafe is gonna be no more. That'll make Manchester at least 5% shitter than it is today. In my case, 12% shitter.

Who wants to sit and look at First Street? It's shit.
Old January 20th, 2012, 04:50 PM   #710
Seasonedbest
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy debord View Post
This
Old January 20th, 2012, 04:56 PM   #711
tomegranate

Likes (Received): 122

Quote:
I heard a rumour that it's stipulated in the deal that when the Cornerhouse moves the existing building cannot be used as a bar, gallery or cinema.
That would be fucking dogshit. Did you hear it from anyone reputable? The possibility that the bar might remain is the only silver lining to the move for me. Gah.

Quote:
About as much as I want to watch the scene at The Fort. The Oxford Street/Whitworth Street junction is the closest Manchester has to a Times Square sort of place for footfall, dramatic streetscape and energy - perfect for sitting and watching the world go by. Without the CH bar, that experience will be lost to Manchester.
tomegranate no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 05:23 PM   #712
rolybling
CAN'T BE ARSED

Likes (Received): 23

Another f*****g Starbucks or Tesco no doubt. An independent restaurant or a brand we don't already have in Manchester would be nice, but, unlikely.
Old January 20th, 2012, 06:39 PM   #713
Lookin Up

Likes (Received): 285

Agree with the sentiments above.
I love that cafe. It just has an indigenous feel like it belongs to Manchester and not just another 'me too' kind of corporate costastarnero that can be found anywhere.

Surely MCC cannot think forcing this to close would in any way be a good thing?
Lookin Up no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 07:39 PM   #714
Seasonedbest
BANNED

They obviously do. I don’t think anyone of the decision makers have taken into consideration the cafe’s success in any of this. A massive oversight perhaps? Could it be the case that the cafe and bar have a causal effect on the amount of filmgoers it gets. I rarely go to the CH for the sole purpose to watch a film, and its usually something that happens with spontaneity if having a coffee and browsing whats on. Its usually busy all day and evenings are packed with people meeting after work, university or before commuting home. Like I said earlier, a new cafe for the joint library theatre and cornerhouse will be full of kids in the afternoon, and as empty as the new Costa coffee in the Odeon Printworks in the evenings.

And to those saying the new building will be near two train stations and a tram station.... so what? They are moving it from an extremely busy pedestrian highway to a fairly boring and historically unattractive street full of half empty railway arch units.
Old January 21st, 2012, 01:23 PM   #715
heatonparkincakes

Seasoned you are right and the developers know that too.

That is why it has such a big car park.

Drive in, park up, watch a Kevin James film, drink some plastic milk favored coffee and drive off.
Old January 21st, 2012, 05:18 PM   #716
Unremarkable

Likes (Received): 3

I say let's give it a chance. I like the hotel with the over hang, the new Cornerhouse looks decent as Future said.

It may or may not attract high culture or whatever Heaton is/was expecting but this isn't Vienna. It will do for now.

In fact, what would you have prefered here. on this site, Heaton?
Old January 21st, 2012, 05:50 PM   #717
Seasonedbest
BANNED

I’ll let Heaton answer for himself, but this is not about space filling. Its about a Manchester cultural institution gambling with its future. And although not high culture per se, independent film does not usually thrive on folk driving in from the suburbs or wherever to watch an arthouse/international film. Unwatered down independent cinema tends to attract the cultured city dweller, as, after all, the city is where it thrives. Yes many do come to the Cornerhouse from the outside the City (myself included) but a model that has moved itself to a designated ‘cultural building,’ away from major footfall, and a focus towards attracting people driving/parking to see an independent film is a miscalculation. Its beginning to sound like Nottingham’s Corner House ‘All under one roof’ centre. An exaggeration.http://www.cornerhouse.tv/home.aspx ... when it should be more like below.

Amsterdam

New York, Houston St

New York, Angellica
image hosted on flickr

Park City UT, Temple Theatre

Glasgow

Manchester, Cornerhouse

I told myself to wait for the proposals, I’ve seen them, and I don’t think they are amazing enough to warrant a move. What I don’t understand it why the focus seems to have been placed on the hotel. Why place it in such a prominent position?

Last edited by Seasonedbest; January 21st, 2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old January 21st, 2012, 06:07 PM   #718
heatonparkincakes

And I will answer for myself.

I am being too cynical, even for my own good. I promise to stop the cheap jokes.

Being serious.

I am pleased MCC are using this land.

What we know is that both the LT and CH are in need of new homes.

That First Street needs developing and is available.

Therefore it's logical to bring the two there.

However I worry about:

The ability of MCC and the developers to ensure this is a cultural hub, than another franchise middle market commercial opportunities than will not enrich anyone.

The preservation of the CH and LT as vital cultural entities, than commercialized bland creations.

If they prevent another Printworks then I will be the first to congratulate them. I think it will be a skilled team that does it.

I personally think Urbis was built for both the LT and CH, but that has been effectively Disneyified by MCC and is lost.

I think the LT will work at First Stret, but I suspect the CH will struggle. I can not think of the various left field cinemas that are not in the centre.

Take away the two cultural entities and frankly this is another Spinningfields, another New Islington extension of the central zone.

Only because they are included are people like me bothered.

My line is that
Old January 21st, 2012, 06:19 PM   #719
heatonparkincakes

Oh you mention the Nottingham Cornerhouse. I know it well. I never comment about Nottingham, even though I know it better than anywhere else.

I hate to say it, but the Nottingham corner house is the doppelgänger of the Mancunian version. The opposite. More like the Printworks.

It's got a tremendous terrace bar that we go to, but when you descending past the flaming dragon and the cinema, it feels wrong and american mall like. Ok for a central place to met before diving off to Mansfield road or Hockley.

Talking of which, Nottingham equal of Manchester's Cornerhouse is the Broadway, which is in the very heart of the city in Hockley.

The library theatre will work here. If the Lowry can and where it is, so can this. To get the Cornerhouse to work here will take some will, luck, but most of some canny thinking.

We will see.
Old January 21st, 2012, 08:36 PM   #720
Unremarkable

Likes (Received): 3

The offer at the Printworks is quite different, what are the comparisons really? The Cornerhouse will maintain it's art house cinema approach, no imax showing I Am Legend 3 or whatever. Seems to me we are guilty of over estimating the Cornerhouse's reliance on footfall, seems to me people that use the Cornerhouse are often regulars there, it's got a certain crowd.

Some sort of pedestrian link will be provided from somewhere near Oxford Rd station and First Street, not too far to travel then if you're an avid indie film buff.

The hotel design looks decent.

I just think we should give it a chance.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: