daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 1st, 2008, 07:05 PM   #181
Marcanadian

Likes (Received): 2584

Photo #110 - The Lakefront

Down by the edge of Lake Ontario at sunrise.

image hosted on flickr

[IMG]http://i25.************/n19zdz.jpg[/IMG]

Sponsored Links
Old July 2nd, 2008, 05:56 PM   #182
Marcanadian

Photo #111 - East Downtown

This is just east of downtown, a few blocks away from Sherbourne which is where the picture was taken. The Distillery District can be seen in the top right corner, with one of the condominiums called Pure Spirit being built. Pure Spirit is just about completed today.

image hosted on flickr

[IMG]http://i29.************/v30xf5.jpg[/IMG]
Old July 4th, 2008, 07:48 PM   #183
Marcanadian

Photo #112 - Rear of Osgoode Hall

This is the backside of Osgoode Hall, where a wide pathway takes you from Nathan Phillips Square to University Avenue.

[IMG]http://i30.************/9jn9xh.jpg[/IMG]
Old July 4th, 2008, 08:06 PM   #184
Marcanadian

Photo #113 - Entertainment District

Part of the Entertainment District is located here, with the majority of the 300nightclubs being on Richmond street. The district is bordered by Queen Street West to the north, York Street to the east, Lakeshore Boulevard to the south and Spadina Avenue to the west, encompassing numerous attractions mentioned before such as the CN Tower, Four Seasons Centre and the Rogers Centre. The Roy Thompson Hall is also in the area (the sloped black circle building in front of the green buildings, Metro Hall). The hall opened in 1982 with renovations being done in 2002. The hall seats 3540 and features an impressive pipe organ built by Canadian organ builders Gabriel Kney of London, Ontario. The hall is also one of the main venues used by the Toronto International Film Festival, with many gala screenings held there each year. It is named after the late Roy Thomson, first Lord Thomson of Fleet and founder of the publishing empire Thomson Corporation.

[IMG]http://i28.************/1rwvpu.jpg[/IMG]
Old July 5th, 2008, 08:38 PM   #185
Mahratta
Ayatollah

Likes (Received): 17

Loving the shots, you're really covering the city, and doing it brilliantly as well!
Perhaps soon, once I move into the city proper and get a DSLR, you can point me out to some good snap locations!

Keep up the good work!

PS - I've always wondered what that white and light blue art deco-esque building on the other side of metro Hall in the previous post was. I remember checking it out last year...sadly I forgot what I had learned there
Old July 5th, 2008, 09:28 PM   #186
Marcanadian

Do you mean the Holiday Inn on King? It's considered an eyesore here on SSC, but I don't mind it too much.

Photo #114 - Skating at NPS

Every winter the Nathan Phillips Square fountain pool turns into a skating rink. This was taken this past winter and it's usually pretty busy despite the biting cold.

image hosted on flickr

[IMG]http://i25.************/29p95zs.jpg[/IMG]
Old July 6th, 2008, 01:50 AM   #187
Mahratta
Ayatollah

Likes (Received): 17

Yep, that's the one. I think it's a bit of an eyesore as well, doesn't really fit...
Anyway, great shot of the Nathan Phillips Square rink! Your pictures really capture the ambience of the locales
Old July 6th, 2008, 07:17 PM   #188
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244609

Nathan Phillips square is really awesome
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2008, 11:33 PM   #189
Marcanadian

Photo #115 - Snow!

A Toronto street completely covered in snow during one of this winter's biggest snow storms. This past winter was a record breaker in Toronto as the city hasn't seen this much snow in over 50 years. It's the exact opposite today, with temperatures tomorrow to reach about 30°C (86°F). We definitely have 'extremes' here in Toronto.

[IMG]http://i25.************/23kdqic.jpg[/IMG]
Old July 7th, 2008, 07:48 PM   #190
Marcanadian

Photo #116 - Skyline

Taken just a few days ago at Humber Bay Park again.

[IMG]http://i25.************/seauew.jpg[/IMG]
Old July 7th, 2008, 07:59 PM   #191
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12280

Always fun to wait and see what you come up with next! You really get around the town, marcanadian!
Old July 8th, 2008, 08:24 PM   #192
Marcanadian

Photo #117 - Royal Canadian Military Institute

In 1890, the Officers of the Toronto Garrison founded the Royal Canadian Military Institute with the then Governor General of Canada, The Earl Grey, as its patron. Earl Grey laid the cornerstone of the existing premises in 1907.
Today, the heritage building is well known to the public as a 'city landmark' – an Edward edifice flanked distinctively by two 19th century cannons, with substantial space devoted to Museum galleries displaying exhibits drawn from the Institute's extensive collections, and a 30,000 volume research Library whose holdings include significant collections of primary documents relating to Canada's military history – some of which are unique, alongside a curatorial workshop and small research areas for visiting scholars. This is the lounge area of the building.

[IMG]http://i38.************/dfdqb7.jpg[/IMG]
Old July 8th, 2008, 09:10 PM   #193
patcheon

Likes (Received): 6

I miss the snow . Thanks for the photos....I will be back....one day!
patcheon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 07:57 PM   #194
Marcanadian

Photo #118 - Palace Pier

The Palace Pier is the site of Palace Place and Palace Pier, both tied for the 27th-tallest building in Toronto. The name for the Palalce Pier complex comes from the original amusement pier located on the site of the current twin towers. Costing $1.25 million in 1927 dollars, the development was proclaimed as one of the biggest landmarks to ever be built on the Toronto waterfront and would be similar to the many amusement piers found along the coast in England. The proposed pier would include a 30,000-sq.-ft. ballroom that would accommodate 3,000 couples, a roller rink (converted for ice skating in the winter months), 1,400-seat theatre, an outdoor Band Pavilion seating 1,500, and several restaurants and souvenir stores. The pier was destroyed by fire in 1963, and the site later redeveloped into condominiums and a public park. A 1994 Etobicoke Historical Board plaque on the Waterfront Trail just west of the mouth of the Humber River is attached to what is left of the original Palace Pier dance hall.

[IMG]http://i37.************/166xbb5.jpg[/IMG]
Old July 10th, 2008, 08:12 PM   #195
Marcanadian

Photo #119 - Palace Pier Towers

These are the residential towers themselves, which got the name from the former pier.

image hosted on flickr

[IMG]http://i37.************/166xbb5.jpg[/IMG]
Old July 11th, 2008, 11:06 PM   #196
Marcanadian

Photo #120 - ROM

Another picture of the Royal Ontario Museum from the intersection of Bloor and Avenue Road (University).

[IMG]http://i33.************/35m3892.jpg[/IMG]
Old July 12th, 2008, 07:55 PM   #197
Marcanadian

Photo #121 - Bloor West Village

Bloor West Village is a shopping district in Toronto located along Bloor Street consisting of more than 400 shops, restaurants and services. The businesses are all members of the local Business Improvement Association, which was founded in 1970 and is considered the world's first business improvement area.
The BIA has promoted a healthy shopping district on Bloor Street. One will find retailers such as Trixie's, Max's Market, Signature Shoes and New Balance, as well as world-class restaurants such as Villa, Bloom and Yumi Sushi. Additionally, the area is known for its coffee shops, as it is home to two Starbucks, two Timothy's, a Second Cup and a local coffee enterprise called the Coffee Tree. North of Bloor are two residential neighbourhoods: High Park North and Runnymede-Bloor West Village. To the south is the former village of Swansea. To the east is the large park of High Park. The area is served by Toronto's Bloor-Danforth subway line, with stops at Runnymede, Windermere and Jane, which runs underneath Bloor Street.

[IMG]http://i35.************/2wbvtpk.jpg[/IMG]
Old July 13th, 2008, 09:26 PM   #198
Marcanadian

Photo #122 - Harbourfront View

The view towards the city from the harbourfront on a cloudy winter day.

image hosted on flickr

[IMG]http://i37.************/1zwf32f.jpg[/IMG]
Old July 14th, 2008, 07:48 PM   #199
Marcanadian

Photo #123 - Brookfield Place Atrium

The open area of the atrium surrounded by a few stores and cafes.

image hosted on flickr

[IMG]http://i33.************/33xuij8.jpg[/IMG]
Old July 15th, 2008, 05:42 PM   #200
Marcanadian

Photo #124 - Campbell House and New Canada Life Building

Campbell House is a historic house in downtown Toronto, Canada. It is the oldest remaining house from the original site of the Town of York and was built by Upper Canada Chief Justice Sir William Campbell and his wife Hannah in 1822. The home was designed for entertaining and comfort, and constructed at a time when the Campbells were socially and economically established and their children had grown to adulthood. The house is one of the few remaining examples of Georgian architecture left in Toronto and is constructed in a style in vogue during the late Georgian era known as Palladian architecture. In 1972 the last owners of the property--Coutts-Hallmark Greeting Cards Company--wanted to demolish the house in order to extend their parking lot. Prior to demolition the house was offered to anyone who could remove it from the property. A professional association of Trial Lawyers known as the Advocates Society, launched a campaign to save the building. Eventually it was arranged that the building would be moved to its current location at the corner of University Avenue and Queen Street West south of the Canada Life Building. With assistance from the Toronto Transit Commission maintenance trucks, the 300 ton home was moved 5305 feet northwest from Adelaide Street to the current location in 1972. The move was a major spectacle, and attracted a large crowd as several downtown streets needed to be shut down. Fully restored and it was reopened by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother on April 1, 1972. Today, the home serves as both a museum and a club for the members of the Advocates Society.

image hosted on flickr

[IMG]http://i33.************/121yhr9.jpg[/IMG]

Tags
canada, skyline, toronto